Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

WhatEvil posted:

I'm sure we've been over this before but has the easter egg packaging *ever* said "easter" on it? Like I've only ever remembered seeing "Smarties egg" or whatever.

Cadbury's Creme Eggs have never said "easter" on them as far as I know? The advertising, like, TV ads, sometimes say "This easter enjoy a [egg]" or whatever but generally not the packaging itself.

Here's one from Pinterest "probably 1960s":

Doesn't say "Easter" on it.

Here's a Creme Egg add from 1987 - doesn't say it on the packaging:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1WkTj5A-VyI

Like, they're clearly loving easter eggs that come out around easter.

Fake edit: I have just looked at a bunch of 1960s and 70s easter egg packaging. Mostly it does not say "easter egg" but something like a third to a half of the ones I looked at say "Happy Easter" somewhere on the packaging.

HOWEVER:

Look what I just found on the Cadbury's website:

ZOOM! ENHANCE!

"ULTIMATE EASTER EGG"

And in fact if you look it seems to have the word "Easter" in the same approx position on about half of its big eggs.

Also Cadbury's are selling a chocolate "Easter Cottage Kit": https://www.cadburygiftsdirect.co.uk/cadbury-dairy-milk-easter-cottage-kit.html

I appreciate the effort but you know these people are just screaming because they wanna bitch and feel persecuted. It's not grounded in reality like most right wing and right wing related bullshit. poo poo, I'm sure noted right wing bullshitter Ben Shapiro has a catchphrase that might be apt here..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
I call them Jedi Eggs and I eat them to celebrate the birth of Richard Dawkins :agesilaus:

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If the egg does not say EASTER on it at least once per square inch of chocolate how can you know it is an easter egg, it could be a coincidental secular chocolate egg or worse a satanic egg made up by antifa to corrupt the christian egg eating public.

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Miftan posted:

I appreciate the effort but you know these people are just screaming because they wanna bitch and feel persecuted. It's not grounded in reality like most right wing and right wing related bullshit. poo poo, I'm sure noted right wing bullshitter Ben Shapiro has a catchphrase that might be apt here..

Yeah, I know, and I already knew going in, really, but just wanted to actually check that I wasn't misremembering, and I was right. Obviously it doesn't matter a toss and it's just a bunch of lead-poisoned boomers, like always... but even if they *had* removed the word "easter" from packaging, who loving cares? They are very clearly easter eggs made for easter and released around easter, if such a thing matters to you.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

If the egg does not say EASTER on it at least once per square inch of chocolate how can you know it is an easter egg, it could be a coincidental secular chocolate egg or worse a satanic egg made up by antifa to corrupt the christian egg eating public.

The only good egg comes in a plastic bag with many other eggs and discoloured water. :colbert:

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

This year, I'll be celebrating with a limited edition Korn Toblerone

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

You have to eat one wet egg every day for lent.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Failed Imagineer posted:

This year, I'll be celebrating with a limited edition Korn Toblerone

How utterly bizarre. That must be a joke.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

OwlFancier posted:

You have to eat one wet egg every day for lent.

Is the lent bit you giving up the other 4 you have on regular days?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Miftan posted:

I appreciate the effort but you know these people are just screaming because they wanna bitch and feel persecuted.
I made the mistake of seeing what one of those Traditional Brittan Our Culture Is Under Attack pages was wittering about earlier this week. Apparently steam trains are canceled and racist now because a museum in Wales added two lines of context to a plaque next to a replica locomotive discussing the role of steam power in ending chattel slavery.

Under Attack!

OwlFancier posted:

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea

WhatEvil posted:

"ULTIMATE EASTER EGG"

Ultimate, as in, the final Easter.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

I made the mistake of seeing what one of those Traditional Brittan Our Culture Is Under Attack pages was wittering about earlier this week. Apparently steam trains are canceled and racist now because a museum in Wales added two lines of context to a plaque next to a replica locomotive discussing the role of steam power in ending chattel slavery.

I did enjoy the quote from the representative of Save Our Statues which was, almost verbatim, "Well sure, if you go looking for connections you'll find that pretty much everything has a link to slavery of some kind!"

That's really the point, pal. Of course in his view the looney Marxist left are the real racists for sowing division by pointing this out, and he thinks it's vital we learn from history by ignoring it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Not generally prone to religiosity but islam is right imo that you shouldn't make images of people.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
This was a replica train tho.

Thou shalt not make unto thee any goods van image.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting

Miftan posted:

The only good egg comes in a plastic bag with many other eggs and discoloured water. :colbert:

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Be not tempted by thee dusty posterior
Scribe not such phrases as "also available in white"

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

That's clearly an avocado.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Lmao apparently the footage from Day 3 of the last Labour Conference (which happens to include the motion describing Israel as an apartheid state and voting in favour of sanctions) has been removed from the official YouTube page.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

I did enjoy the quote from the representative of Save Our Statues which was, almost verbatim, "Well sure, if you go looking for connections you'll find that pretty much everything has a link to slavery of some kind!"

That's really the point, pal. Of course in his view the looney Marxist left are the real racists for sowing division by pointing this out, and he thinks it's vital we learn from history by ignoring it.
This is apparently what happened according to a non-testerical news source.

Not even really an in depth on the changing labour dynamics brought by steam, just "trade and colonial exploitation were embedded in Wales' economy and society and were fundamental to Wales' development as an industrialised nation."

There's a lot that you could go into there, like the use of Indian indentured workers in Africa to build the railways with iron from Merthyr Tydfil on the promise of African land if they survived (or as a counterpoint that some of those railways were built to disrupt the illegal slave trade as well as doing their legal colonial exploitation), but it goes for a relatively limited tone, as it is not an exhibit about Cape Town or the Uganda Railway. But if someone finds the idea that a steam engine did something significant other than going choo choo offensive then, yes, it's them that's offended by history.

(of course the real reason is that the museum also displayed some BLM placards so they're obviously riddled with Marxists and even their steam exhibit is suspect if you are looking to make poo poo up for divisive purposes)

Bacon Terrorist
May 7, 2010

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022
Easter egg warriors are the same people who genuinely think you get arrested for saying you're English these days.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
If you say you're Church of England you get arrested twice and then denied bail for the 'of'.

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

Guavanaut posted:

This is apparently what happened according to a non-testerical news source.

Not even really an in depth on the changing labour dynamics brought by steam, just "trade and colonial exploitation were embedded in Wales' economy and society and were fundamental to Wales' development as an industrialised nation."

When BLM was making waves (by dropping a statue in the Bristol harbour...) a couple of years ago the National Railway Museum announced it was going to do a similar audit/review of its collection and interpretation.

Someone blundered into their twitter timeline to say "How can railways have anything to do with slavery when the slave trade was banned in 1807?" People patiently explained that slavery was still legal in the Empire for several years after the opening of both the Stockton & Darlington and the Liverpool & Manchester, that the L&M made its huge profits by carrying imported cotton (harvested by slaves in the American south) to Manchester, that the huge sums of money the British government paid the mercantile class to stop being slave owners provided a huge portion of the capital that went into the Railway Mania, plus all the more diffuse stuff about how the steam locomotive was a key tool in, and a literal driver of, colonialism.

They weren't having it. Unless literal shackled and whipped slaves were used to build railways before one of the specific locos now held in the NRM ground them to paste under its wheels then it didn't count.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.
Our utility bill is really low so I was quite surprised today to get a letter from the council telling me they're gonna send us the gubmit's £150 rebate. Turns out we just happen to be in the right council tax band. But that's like a third of our energy bill :stare:

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Guavanaut posted:

wait hang on

Doesn't that mean steam trains helped end slavery? And doesn't that mean steam trains are woke?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

Our utility bill is really low so I was quite surprised today to get a letter from the council telling me they're gonna send us the gubmit's £150 rebate. Turns out we just happen to be in the right council tax band. But that's like a third of our energy bill :stare:

i guess you could leave the lights on all night and the windows open or something to average it out?

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
I'm going to SPLURGE the £150 on a scalding hot bath

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

BalloonFish posted:

the huge sums of money the British government paid the mercantile class to stop being slave owners provided a huge portion of the capital that went into the Railway Mania
That's a very good point too, steam helped end chattel slavery, but the end of chattel slavery (by payment of reparations not to the enslaved but to the slavers) also helped to fund steam.

wait hang on

Doesn't that mean steam trains helped end slavery? And doesn't that mean steam trains are woke?
No it's the woke museums, they've replaced all the railway signs with this very real graffiti definitely done by BLM, so the trains didn't have a choice.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

Miftan posted:

That's clearly an avocado.

Easter avocado, you heathen

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Doesn't quite cover how much I had to overpay on the heating oil the other day. Better than nothing though.

I've had the heating off all week, got to think twice about using it when it's cost me over £1 a litre. Was 25p back at the dawn of covid.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Marmaduke! posted:

Easter avocado, you heathen

We call it a passover avocado where I'm from. A passovacado, if you will.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

We call it a passover avocado where I'm from. A passovacado, if you will.

In South Africa Pesach is avocado season. Avo mashed on matzoh is really good.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Nothing can salvage the hot mess that is a matzah except making it into matzah brei or using it as an edible spoon for nutella.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

looks like someone got carried away with a cracker

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Miftan posted:

Nothing can salvage the hot mess that is a matzah except making it into matzah brei or using it as an edible spoon for nutella.

I love it. And it’s a cold mess. A cold, dry mess.

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1512198659403829249

They're really going after Super Rishi, it's great.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/BBCNews/status/1512184718401417229

Rips Sunak.

Also happy dead Thatcher day

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
This JPG is getting almost as crispy as Thatcher did.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Oh, and here's a refreshed list of previous threads, Guavanaut
https://lpix.org/sslptest/index.php?id=160742

[e]:

https://twitter.com/n4ssie/status/1512210470975029251

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

how is wife firmed, how wife firm get paid £50m

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Miftan posted:

Known left-wingers continue Jezzamy Cobryn's antisemitic agenda.

(I genuinely do love matzo, in fairness.)