Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

GreenMetalSun posted:

That there isn't a good male cover of 'Holding Out For A Hero'.

Why would there need to be?

Even Bonny Tyler's song, "If You Were a Woman and I Were a Man" sounds fine when sung by a man.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Hardcordion posted:

My favourite example of this kind of thing is Micheal Buble's cover of Santa Baby. He changes "baby" to "buddy" and alters a few lines in the verses but it's still very obviously a song about seducing Santa so he'll give you expensive presents.

Oh God, same. I knew he was human TV static but I didn't know he was also a sexless coward

Anyway, I'm in San Antonio today and I'm astounded that a city so hostile towards every form of transportation other than driving *also* sucks to drive in. All that money and planning to me this into a hellscape of asphalt and concrete and what did you even accomplish?

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019
It was a revelation when I realized that buying a change of clothes at my destination was way cheaper than checking luggage and easier than dealing with a carry on.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
When I'm watching a show I've seen before and I recognize an actor so I go to look up what I know them from and it's the show that I'm watching.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
A tangled skein of bad opinions, the hottest takes, and the the world's most misinformed nonsense. Do not engage with me, it's useless, and better yet, put me on ignore.

Henchman of Santa posted:

When I'm watching a show I've seen before and I recognize an actor so I go to look up what I know them from and it's the show that I'm watching.

Haha please give an example

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
News networks play on the TVs at work. I'm increasingly annoyed by how it'll rapidly slingshot from "thousands dead in Mariupol" type stuff to "HERO OFFICER SAVES PUPPIES FROM GARAGE FIRE :3" puff pieces and then back to horrible tragedies. Especially because boomer targetted puff pieces inevitably have good guy cops.

MightyJoe36
Dec 29, 2013

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:
TVs at the gym, the doctor's office, the dentist, gas pumps....

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

News networks play on the TVs at work. I'm increasingly annoyed by how it'll rapidly slingshot from "thousands dead in Mariupol" type stuff to "HERO OFFICER SAVES PUPPIES FROM GARAGE FIRE :3" puff pieces and then back to horrible tragedies. Especially because boomer targetted puff pieces inevitably have good guy cops.

I saw one of those this morning and my first thought was "Heartwarming: Cop does his job"

Feels like in the last two years, I've been seeing a lot more of it, I'm sure it has nothing to do with the calls to defund the police.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I was watching Seinfeld with my wife and one lady is so familiar, we're like "what the gently caress was she on, something we saw recently"

Yeah, an earlier episode, where she was the same named character. She's a returning guest star.

And we'd even looked her up the first time we saw her, my IMDB still had her name link colored as visited

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Brawnfire posted:

I was watching Seinfeld with my wife and one lady is so familiar, we're like "what the gently caress was she on, something we saw recently"

Yeah, an earlier episode, where she was the same named character. She's a returning guest star.

And we'd even looked her up the first time we saw her, my IMDB still had her name link colored as visited

Going to an imdb or wiki link and seeing it coloured in, that's my peak existential "what the gently caress am I doing with my life"

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

This happens to me with Law & Order SVU all the god drat time

edit:

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Going to an imdb or wiki link and seeing it coloured in, that's my peak existential "what the gently caress am I doing with my life"

Typing "e" into my browser field and having it autofill with the Wikipedia page for rabies wasn't my peak necessarily, but it was up there

YeahTubaMike has a new favorite as of 14:25 on Apr 7, 2022

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've started looking up trivia in incognito mode so my auto complete wouldn't be just every single movie or show where I saw someone and couldn't remember what I knew them from.

The Perfect Element
Dec 5, 2005
"This is a bit of a... a poof song"
I've just been offered a new job, which I got via a recruitment agency, my cv, and some interviews. Yay me. However, in order to get my contract, I now need to fill in the employers bullshit application form on their recruitment portal, including precious career experience, educational achievements etc. And I'll have to do it all on my phone, cos my laptop belongs to my current employer, and I haven't got the balls to do it on their property.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Sounds like a trip to a library is in order. Or borrow a friends computer for a bit.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

My friend: wow idk where any of my masks are
Me: well if they're not by the front door then they should be in the laundry hamper, right?
Her: no sometimes they're by the front door and sometimes they're in my office and sometimes they're in my purse and sometimes ill go straight to the washroom after coming in then leave it on the counter or

How the gently caress do you LIVE like this just have one place for things!! Move it to the laundry instead of just leaving it on the counter or your purse!! Having your home this chaotic will make you feel worse!!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Killingyouguy! posted:

How the gently caress do you LIVE like this just have one place for things!! Move it to the laundry instead of just leaving it on the counter or your purse!! Having your home this chaotic will make you feel worse!!
I wouldn't call it a peeve since it doesn't affect me, but I also don't know how people live like this. Like, how do you not know where you put your keys? Do you not put them in the same place every time you come home? Don't you have a spot where you keep your keys? Are you walking through the front door and hurling them in a random direction?

I understand not knowing where you put something when it's a new thing or something you use very rarely. The whole "wait, what drawer or cupboard did I decide made sense to put rubber bands in the last time I used one, six months ago?" issue. But something you take with you every time you leave the house and bring back every time you come home; how does that not have a specific place it goes, that you know the location of like it was instinct?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

It really says to me "I am so constantly distracted that I cannot even perform brainless routines like automatically putting something where it belongs" which also speaks to general organization skills far below what any given adult should be expected to manage. Brain on autopilot smh. Pay attention to your surroundings

If you have a toddler constantly trying to electrocute themselves I guess I understand but noone I know has kids

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Tiggum posted:

I wouldn't call it a peeve since it doesn't affect me, but I also don't know how people live like this. Like, how do you not know where you put your keys? Do you not put them in the same place every time you come home? Don't you have a spot where you keep your keys? Are you walking through the front door and hurling them in a random direction?

I understand not knowing where you put something when it's a new thing or something you use very rarely. The whole "wait, what drawer or cupboard did I decide made sense to put rubber bands in the last time I used one, six months ago?" issue. But something you take with you every time you leave the house and bring back every time you come home; how does that not have a specific place it goes, that you know the location of like it was instinct?

-me when I moved in with my wife instead of roomates.

Where's the keys to the car? Where did you chuck my badge? Where did you chuck your badge? Where the gently caress is your uniform jacket? Idfk you are the one coming in while I'm asleep and throwing to god knows where. I know you got cat food last night where is it? Why didn't you put the cat food in the place we always put cat food? How do you be so smart and so annoying and stupid at the same time?

She's so amazing but also so unorganized it drives me insane.

As a flight attendant she has to look pristine and half the time, I'm over here fishing an american airlines jacket out of the crevasse between the sofa and the wall while she freaks about being late. Hun, cmon. You Put that there. How did you put that there? What did you even do?????

Edgar Allen Ho has a new favorite as of 18:19 on Apr 7, 2022

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

-me when I moved in with my wife instead of roomates.

Where's the keys to the car? Where did you chuck my badge? Where did you chuck your badge? Where the gently caress is your uniform jacket? Idfk you are the one coming in while I'm asleep and throwing to god knows where. I know you got cat food last night where is it? Why didn't you put the cat food in the place we always put cat food? How do you be so smart and so annoying and stupid at the same time?

She's so amazing but also so unorganized it drives me insane.

As a flight attendant she has to look pristine and half the time, I'm over here fishing an american airlines jacket out of the crevasse between the sofa and the wall while she freaks about being late. Hun, cmon. You Put that there. How did you put that there? What did you even do?????

The power of love is incredible bc I would not last two minutes dealing with this

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I'm decently organized. My wife is insanely organized.

But kids ruined it. It's all gone to poo poo

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

My keys live in a little wooden bowl on the side table in the entryway by the door. My wallet, too.

My girlfriends keys live in her purse, or her pants pocket, or the center console of her car, or the coffee table, or the dining table, or the kitchen counter.

She asks me where her keys are, how in the blue hell should I know???

And yet I'm an unorganized rear end when I leave a mate-less sock on top of the dresser until its pair surfaces.

Arrath has a new favorite as of 21:01 on Apr 7, 2022

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
"Inspiring" music played during awards ceremonies. First of all, those feelings are supposed to be in our hearts, not our ears. Second, they're always generic knockoff brand unlicensed songs and sound like it, too. Danny Glover just got a lifetime achievement award and this is the soundtrack he gets for it? Duuuuunnn, dun dun dun duuuun, duuuuuun, dun dun duuuuun

Terrible.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
I, too have always been confused about the common trope of frequently losing one's keys in one's own home. Mine are always in one of two places: my pocket, or the spot on the counter where I always put them. How does anyone gently caress that up?

There's only one proper response to someone who's lost their keys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Brawnfire posted:

I'm decently organized. My wife is insanely organized.

But kids ruined it. It's all gone to poo poo

It happens to us all. I used to hand wash the two plates and silverware and stuff. Now I own a room dedicated to glitter and rebuild the house every night.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I just shouldn't have to vacuum every time we have rice :negative:

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Brawnfire posted:

Counterproposal: gently caress it.

I used to vacuum and now there's no keeping up. I am trash, living in a trash house. Am I made of house? Or is the house made of me?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
We adopted my wife's cousin and he's amazing, then like a week later apparently she's preggo, so instead of my initial zero kids plan I get a cool teen and a screaming tiny monster in one year.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Congrats on both fronts \o/

Although being able to hang huge amounts of bags off the back of a baby buggy is awesome, sometimes you just want to be able to leave the house in under an hour and go get milk, and teenagers are easily bribed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

This type of thing happens super frequently. And if you look at the discussion page, several people will have posted that they've reported the exact same error, over the course of months, and it hasn't been fixed. Is anyone actually looking at the reports or is that button there just to make you feel like you've done something?

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

Yeah there's a lot of phrases the Chinese course throws at me that I've just learned you gotta translate in a real unnatural way Because That's How The Owl Wants It
'I want tea and also milk', the 'also' is MANDATORY

they just added new voice sets to that course, which overall is good it's important to listen to a wide variety of speakers, but one of them I s2g was recorded on one of those beige stick mics you'd plug into your speakers in the 90s

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Similarly

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Brawnfire posted:

Tell me you have small children without saying you have small children.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

When you’re in a line of cars because someone far up the road might be going slow or something, and someone keeps trying dangerous passes like the shoulder of the road or the opposite lane to do their best to only pass one car before they need to merge back in.

It’s fine to be annoyed by that front driver, but you’re just putting everyone else in danger.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

DontMockMySmock posted:

I, too have always been confused about the common trope of frequently losing one's keys in one's own home. Mine are always in one of two places: my pocket, or the spot on the counter where I always put them. How does anyone gently caress that up?

There's only one proper response to someone who's lost their keys:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=--9kqhzQ-8Q

If I have an armload of poo poo, my keys tend to get set down on the table by the entrance, 90% of the time I loose my keys it's because I left them there.

Other reasons I can't find my keys:
- There's a piece of paper on top of them
- They fell off/missed the mark and are somehow partially under the table that they normally go on (I blame the cat).

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Iron Crowned posted:

If I have an armload of poo poo, my keys tend to get set down on the table by the entrance, 90% of the time I loose my keys it's because I left them there.

Other reasons I can't find my keys:
- There's a piece of paper on top of them
- They fell off/missed the mark and are somehow partially under the table that they normally go on (I blame the cat).

Yeah, but at least you KNOW that.

Like, if the keys aren't in the key spot, like you said, 90% chance they're in functionally the BACKUP key spot.

My girlfriend is a lot like other goons GFs and wives, it seems. She'll walk in the door, armloads of bags or whatever, so keys and wallet get dropped in whatever random room she may or may not be bringing that stuff too. And not even consistently in the same spot in a given room.

Something going to the bedroom? Keys and/or wallet (cause they often aren't together, even more baffling) could be on the dresser...or her nightstand...or my nightstand, for some reason...or they fell on the floor...or in her pants pocket...or jacket pocket...or her purse...or her backpack...or she left one or both in her car...or she was wrong and it WASN"T the bedroom she left them in it was the living room, so it could be on the coffee table, or the bookshelf, or the other weird shelf we have, etc...

It's maddening when we try to leave somewhere and not until we're already trying to go out the door does she THEN decide to look for keys and wallet.

But what's weird is just about everything else in life, she's more organized than me. Pantry+fridge, paperwork for all sorts of things, just general "house items" (I can't recall which drawer has the tylenol vs the extra soap, but she does). Just her wallet and keys are in a constant state of super-position where they exist nowhere and everywhere at once until I help look for them, at which point the waveform collapses and they are in my hand.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Can’t misplace your keys if you violently shove them up your rear end asap like I do

Parasol Prophet
Aug 31, 2012

We Are Best Friends Now.
I mean yeah, it'd be nice to come home every single time I leave the house and gently deposit my keys in the official Key Place, drop off my badge in the Badge Depository, etc.

But sometimes my arms are full of poo poo or I want to wash my hands right away (yay pandemic) or I have to change, or I put them in my pocket instead of my purse, or I'm just kind of thinking something other than "Oh golly better make sure I put my keys in the right place" when I walk through the door. And my short-term memory is poo poo, so even if I do set my jacket down thinking "Okay, the keys are still in there" if I have to do anything else it's likely I'll just forget by the next time I leave the house.

I don't know, as someone who struggles with this kind of thing I guess my pet peeve is people acting like it's just so easy to be organized, who could even lose something like keys?? (Of course, my secondary pet peeve is myself, for not being able to do those things)

And don't even get me started on how being late to something apparently makes you a garbage person who is directly insulting the people who invited you.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

gently caress fitted sheets

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

But I mean, even if your arms are full of poo poo don't you need to put your keys in your hand to open the door? And then they go from your hand to on the hook or dish or whatever right beside the door, this seems like one smooth action to me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I have accidentally left my keys in the deadbolt keyhole several times.