Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

Just about every mech RPG I can think of cares to some extent about facing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Champions/Hero is played on a hex grid with miniatures-style combat (inches on the tabletop) and I believe it has rules for facing.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Number 1 Nerd Tear Farmer 2022.

Keep it up, champ.

Also you're a skeleton warrior now. Kree.
Unlockable Ben
Certainly D&D prior to 3.0 was often played with facing because of the backstab rules, even if it didn't (I don't think?) have explicit rules for determining or changing facing.

I only mention this because I was reminded of hearing local grognards arguing bitterly after D&D came out about whether a flanked monster could avoid being sneak attacked by just turning to face the Rogue.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

hyphz posted:

Certainly D&D prior to 3.0 was often played with facing because of the backstab rules, even if it didn't (I don't think?) have explicit rules for determining or changing facing.

I only mention this because I was reminded of hearing local grognards arguing bitterly after D&D came out about whether a flanked monster could avoid being sneak attacked by just turning to face the Rogue.

Chainmail (the original core of D&D) absolutely had flank and rear bonuses. Looking at my copy, it's on page 16 of the 3rd printing.

Gary Gygax in the mid-70s posted:

Flank Attack: Units attacking from the flank are at the next higher class,
i.e., Heavy Foot equals Armored Foot and Heavy Horse equals + 1 on each die.
Rear Attack: Units which attack from the rear deliver casualties without receiving
any in return. In addition, such troops receive the bonus stated above for Flank Attack.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

hyphz posted:

Yeah, in AD&D 2nd edition at least, you got a specific bonus for attacking from behind, but no game-mechanical way to assert that you were behind someone.

Combat and Tactics might have changed that, but all I can remember is the core rules.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Tsilkani posted:

Just about every mech RPG I can think of cares to some extent about facing.

Lancer doesn't care about facing at all!

Tsilkani
Jul 28, 2013

I said just about for a reason!

GimpInBlack
Sep 27, 2012

That's right, kids, take lots of drugs, leave the universe behind, and pilot Enlightenment Voltron out into the cosmos to meet Alien Jesus.

potatocubed posted:

Yeah, in AD&D 2nd edition at least, you got a specific bonus for attacking from behind, but no game-mechanical way to assert that you were behind someone.

Combat and Tactics might have changed that, but all I can remember is the core rules.

Yeah, Combat & Tactics had a facing rules module.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It's more of a wargame thing in general, and games by and for grognards who don't want to admit they're not playing wargames anymore.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yes, actual facing rules need to be accompanied by zone of control or opportunity rules, or time segments. Otherwise you get the dumb thing where the Rogue starts their turn in front of someone, walks around them and stabs them in the back.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Unless the timescale of your combat is in about 1 second intervals, facing is pretty dumb. A dude being able to do a whole turn of actions before you can pivot a little? It's silly.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

Unless the timescale of your combat is in about 1 second intervals, facing is pretty dumb. A dude being able to do a whole turn of actions before you can pivot a little? It's silly.

Depends on how you're modeling the actions. The serial turn-based stuff becomes silly if you go into too small or too large a scale, but if you separate decisions and actions it can make more sense that one of the decisions you make is where you're facing and what that does. You have to face X to fight them, and that means you can't face Y, so Y can backstab you while you're doing that.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

dwarf74 posted:

It's something that I think gets handled fairly well in a lot of wargames -

Kings of War - fundamentally a rank & flank game based on old WHFB, makes sense because it's not a question of a single person turning in time it's a question of wheeling an entire goddamn block of 40 dudes, which is complicated

Dropfleet Command - fundamentlly a naval game based on old BFG, ships have momentum and facing because it's a game whose intent is the tension between broadsides & flexible turrets and that's very much a thing true of naval engagements until quite recently because well ships are not that maneuverable

Infinity - individual skirmish style, so you'd think people would just turn fast enough, but this is mitigated by two major factors, first that units all have reactions (really the bonus to being behind somebody is not some abstract backstab, it's "they can't shoot you for free"), and second that you're of course controlling a bunch of dudes with overlapping fields of fire so it's not a comical common feel-bad when people get behind you but instead the result of somebody putting in some real investment into outmaneuvering you.

That said those are all wargames, in a TTRPG you're generally controlling just one person rather than a squad.

I think a lot of TTRPGs are kind of straining to be like a wargame but without doing enough wargame stuff that it turns off people who dislike what a wargame is at a fundamental level. I'm personally pretty happy when I wargame and so I prefer my TTRPGs to not even attempt it because to me it feels like doing two things badly instead of one thing well. But that's just my opinion.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Depends on how you're modeling the actions. The serial turn-based stuff becomes silly if you go into too small or too large a scale, but if you separate decisions and actions it can make more sense that one of the decisions you make is where you're facing and what that does. You have to face X to fight them, and that means you can't face Y, so Y can backstab you while you're doing that.
I think that's handled fairly gracefully by various 'flanking' rules - you don't need to know what direction your fight man is facing to know they can't face two things 180° apart.

For unit-scale wargaming, yeah, it makes a lot more sense. For any kind of individual combat, though, like what you see in nearly any rpg, you've got to embrace the ambiguity.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

dwarf74 posted:

I think that's handled fairly gracefully by various 'flanking' rules - you don't need to know what direction your fight man is facing to know they can't face two things 180° apart.

For unit-scale wargaming, yeah, it makes a lot more sense. For any kind of individual combat, though, like what you see in nearly any rpg, you've got to embrace the ambiguity.

Once you've got flanking, it's not too much of a leap to say "well, if you target X, Y can backstab you". If the turn order isn't quite right, let's say the backstabber attacks before you, you could be under a condition that says if you decide to attack another person you get the additional damage later, and you collect it into a full narrative retroactively. But maybe that's starting to get way too finicky.

hyphz
Aug 5, 2003

Keep it up, champ.

Unlockable Ben
Yea, it's basically the logic by which back attacks turned into flanking in later d20. "Nobody turns their back on an enemy unless they can't help it."

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Yeah, wargames had a huge influence. These are the facing charts from DragonQuest, a RPG published in 1982 by SPI, who at the time was known as a publisher of exceptionally good wargames.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any opinions or experiences with the #iHunt rpg or feelings on the FATE system in general? I don't know anything about how the mechanics of this would play out, but the style and presentation is very much my poo poo.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any opinions or experiences with the #iHunt rpg or feelings on the FATE system in general? I don't know anything about how the mechanics of this would play out, but the style and presentation is very much my poo poo.

I don't know anything about #iHunt, but I've tried to run FATE a couple of times and... it's genuinely a good system, but I think it doesn't explain it well and I have never successfully gotten a gaming group on board with it. Even having run it a couple of times, I still don't think it has ever really "clicked" for me. It's possible I'm too dumb to really get how it works, but I think some of the mechanical implementation of aspects is pretty poorly explained (or if not poorly explained, needs better examples of how they're actually meant to work in play). One of the things that I didn't really get until watching an AP of it is that players should also be creating and invoking aspects all the time. Like, constantly, not just as an occasional thing when an opportunity arises.

It's been a few years so I don't remember much beyond that, but I know we had a whole host of issues in trying to wrap our heads around how a lot of it was intended to work in practice, so I'm sure what we ended up with probably wasn't a "true" FATE game.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The biggest problem with Fate in general is that it's much more of a generic toolkit than people have traditionally assumed when they made games using the system. A lot of people just used the generic skills plus aspects plus a few relatively boring stunts framework straight, and that framework is like sliced bread. It's an amazing innovation and we would be worse off without it, but by itself it's kind of boring. You need to do something new mechanically on top of that base, or your system is never going to actually sing.

Does iHunt fall into these problems? I don't know, I've never read it. But if it ends up being a very flavorful wrapper around one of the generic versions of Fate, I won't be surprised.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Lurks With Wolves posted:

The biggest problem with Fate in general is that it's much more of a generic toolkit than people have traditionally assumed when they made games using the system. A lot of people just used the generic skills plus aspects plus a few relatively boring stunts framework straight, and that framework is like sliced bread. It's an amazing innovation and we would be worse off without it, but by itself it's kind of boring. You need to do something new mechanically on top of that base, or your system is never going to actually sing.

Does iHunt fall into these problems? I don't know, I've never read it. But if it ends up being a very flavorful wrapper around one of the generic versions of Fate, I won't be surprised.

What's a good game that uses FATE as a toolkit properly?

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Well, if you look at Breakfast Cult by famed author Paul Ettin, which is completely unrelated to the contest entry former forum moderator Ettin made for a contest several years ago-

But seriously, off-hand Breakfast Cult hits all of my requirements for what a good implementation of Fate should do. It has a good, tight hook, it adds something mechanically, and it has stunts that are actually interesting and not "you get +1 to X". There's probably less SA-related third party examples, but I haven't thought too hard about Fate games in a while. If anyone else has any thoughts, feel free to add them.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Re: facing and backstabbing, it always bothered me that there's an assumption that combatants square their shoulders vs. an opponent. This is not true in many martial arts, and especially untrue in for example fencing:

Sport fencing is of course not exactly how people trying to kill each other with swords would have fought in most eras, but this photo illustrates what I'm talking about well enough: it is a fundamental fact that with a one-handed weapon, you gain some reach by orienting with the shoulder of the weapon arm towards the enemy, and gain protection by presenting a thinner profile, not to mention a better ability to both lunge and retreat.

Even with two-handed weapons, a three-quarter stance is typical, as illustrated with any old defensing manual illustration you care to check:

The truth is that "which way is my guy's back facing/where is he blind to an attack when fighting an enemy in X square" is not a simple matter, and for games purporting to be "realistic", the (near?) universal assumption is mostly wrong.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Breakfast Cult and Atomic Robo.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Leperflesh posted:

Re: facing and backstabbing, it always bothered me that there's an assumption that combatants square their shoulders vs. an opponent. This is not true in many martial arts, and especially untrue in for example fencing:

Sport fencing is of course not exactly how people trying to kill each other with swords would have fought in most eras, but this photo illustrates what I'm talking about well enough: it is a fundamental fact that with a one-handed weapon, you gain some reach by orienting with the shoulder of the weapon arm towards the enemy, and gain protection by presenting a thinner profile, not to mention a better ability to both lunge and retreat.

Even with two-handed weapons, a three-quarter stance is typical, as illustrated with any old defensing manual illustration you care to check:

The truth is that "which way is my guy's back facing/where is he blind to an attack when fighting an enemy in X square" is not a simple matter, and for games purporting to be "realistic", the (near?) universal assumption is mostly wrong.

And for the two handed, formation fighting case:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'm just being cheeky but a phalanx is a great example of a formation that doesn't let you easily turn when you're flanked.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

Clapping Larry
Crimeworld uses FATE well.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

i'm thinking of running bulldogs because gareth hanrahan did a campaign for it - anyone have experience with that?

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Fate of Cthulhu does a lot of things with it that I never would have extrapolated directly out of Fate Core, mainly because instead of being a generic Mythos game as the title would suggest, it is actually a very specific “using future knowledge and occult knowledge to change the world and oneself” that is about 50% Terminator and 12 Monkeys by volume.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

When I sit down and think of what I think would be a good system for a given non-gritty setting Fate is always on my shortlist but never the winner. The thing to remember is that if the PCs stack the fate points they can succeed at almost anything - but fate points are a limited resource. Other than that it's a clean system that encourages players to play into their weaknesses. And as mentioned Fate of Cthulhu is probably the best implementation.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Halloween Jack posted:

I'm just being cheeky but a phalanx is a great example of a formation that doesn't let you easily turn when you're flanked.

100%

It's kind of a shame that I hate most rank n flank games because it's historically very important I've just found all of the games of it too cumbersome. Admittedly I haven't looked very hard.

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

sebmojo posted:

i'm thinking of running bulldogs because gareth hanrahan did a campaign for it - anyone have experience with that?

This is the first I’m hearing of this, but I just ordered a copy!

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.
I’m curious: is there any room for a new simulationist system that uses dice pool mechanics? I’ve been struggling with both D&D 5e and Invisible Sun’s respectively incomplete and baffling sub-systems and I’ve really fallen in love with Heart’s “Knack” and Difficulty dice pool mechanics.

I feel like there’s gotta be a way to marry streamlined dice mechanics to a really engaging combat and skill system. Ideally, I want to be able to make both those skill and combat systems intertwined rather than separate like 5e.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Gray Ghost posted:

I’m curious: is there any room for a new simulationist system that uses dice pool mechanics? I’ve been struggling with both D&D 5e and Invisible Sun’s respectively incomplete and baffling sub-systems and I’ve really fallen in love with Heart’s “Knack” and Difficulty dice pool mechanics.

I feel like there’s gotta be a way to marry streamlined dice mechanics to a really engaging combat and skill system. Ideally, I want to be able to make both those skill and combat systems intertwined rather than separate like 5e.

Is there a specific reason you want it to be dice-pool based besides that's what Heart does and Heart is cool and good?

Not knocking it, dice-pools can be a great system, I just don't see the obvious reason that they're necessary here versus any other resolution mechanic and I'm curious why you're calling that shot from the jump.

Gray Ghost
Jan 1, 2003

When crime haunts the night, a silent crusader carries the torch of justice.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Is there a specific reason you want it to be dice-pool based besides that's what Heart does and Heart is cool and good?

Not knocking it, dice-pools can be a great system, I just don't see the obvious reason that they're necessary here versus any other resolution mechanic and I'm curious why you're calling that shot from the jump.

One of my friends really struggles with math at our D&D table and I wanted to minimize such a struggle by keeping the sums lower than something like in PF 2e. In some ways, Invisible Sun is a much more elegant iteration of the Cypher System’s roll-over system in that it uses d10s and allows players to add dice to give a potential advantage against a challenge when taking the highest number (instead of 3 x a difficulty vs. a D20 + Edge + Effort + Assets).

I honestly feel like if you scraped the cruft out of IS’s systems it could be a really great replacement for the Cypher System. Heart’s use of Knacks really reminds me of what I think you could accomplish with that kind of streamlining.

At the same time, I find a whole lot of value in chunky combat systems and skill challenges and I was wondering if there was a way to thread that needle while keeping the amount of math low.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

dwarf74 posted:

This is precisely how Great Campaigns of the American Civil War handles flanking- depending on the amount of 'covered hexes'(by units that are at least 1/4 of the manpower of the target) around the target unit, a flanking bonus from +1 to +4 is applied. It is possible for a unit to actually refuse flanks, which halves the flanking bonus, but also gives a minimum flanking bonus to anyone who attacks it.

The magnitude of the flanking bonus at maximum is equivalent to having 5:1 manpower odds.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Gray Ghost posted:

I would recommend having a look at some One-Roll-Engine games; Reign in particular has a lot of martial arts styles and combat maneuvers as well as non-combat tricks (Esoteric Techniques, I think? It’s been a while) as well as (more abstracted) large-scale political/social subsystems.

Parkreiner fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Apr 8, 2022

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant
Are we ever going to see Reign 2E?

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

CitizenKeen posted:

Are we ever going to see Reign 2E?

Yes, it's being released in the 18th.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/halmangold/greg-stolzes-reign-second-edition/posts/3463546

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
i was gonna say, i've got a functionally-complete PDF only missing page references and maybe a few blank spaces that should have art in them, and that was delivered four months ago