Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MaiaN posted:

In what way? Also, were they from French Catalonia or Spanish (heh) Catalonia? My extended family is all pro independence and, yeah, as a movement they're super naive as to how the real world works, but they're not at all about SovCit.

Spanish Catalonians in France. In the same way that SovCits exhibit a fundamental misunderstanding about laws and legality, they also seemed oblivious to the fact that the separatists almost started a low-key civil war.

quote:

Also one of the politicians that ended up in prison got shredded on BBC's HARDTalk, it was hilarious. He waltzed in thinking the interviewer would be kind and a captive audience and that about sums up the political ken of the leadership.

I remember reading an article by a separatist leader who was a professor in Scotland and just couldn't believe it when the Spanish government issued a warrant for her arrest.

The amount of proclaimed victimhood was cringe worthy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
Any actual war news the past few days, or is it consolidating lines and turning into a long drawn out slog which is going to last for 18 months before they withdraw to the prewar lines and engage in artillery strikes and occasional missile launches at Kyiv for the next 15 years.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Cimber posted:

Any actual war news the past few days, or is it consolidating lines and turning into a long drawn out slog which is going to last for 18 months before they withdraw to the prewar lines and engage in artillery strikes and occasional missile launches at Kyiv for the next 15 years.

Oh nothing big but horrendous war crimes and I dunno Lend/Lease

Is lend lease a big deal? I'm not sure. Some people think it does nothing.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Cimber posted:

Russia is still sending individual BTGs to their demise against reinforced Ukrainian positions in the east. But otherwise, right now everyone is basically taking an operational pause and preparing for the next round of what is probably going to be even bloodier fighting than the first month and a half.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

psydude posted:

Russia is still sending individual BTGs to their demise against reinforced Ukrainian positions in the east. But otherwise, right now everyone is basically taking an operational pause and preparing for the next round of what is probably going to be even bloodier fighting than the first month and a half.
Terrain there favors the attacker more than the defender if I remember right.

But Russia is so badly bloodied and Ukrainians are so pissed off right (and well stocked) now I think that ship has sailed for Russia to truely take advantage of that.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur

A.o.D. posted:

Is lend lease a big deal? I'm not sure. Some people think it does nothing.

It is. We used lend/lease to "give" russians tanks and planes in WW2, and a few of the allies. But it comes at a cost, recipients wind up paying for the equipment at lower rates over longer periods of time so they don't go bankrupt trying to pay us back immediately after the war, or it winds up forgiven in some way, depending on how the agreement is structured with the recipient.

It doesn't sound like we're going to be sending Abrams and non-russian fighter jets. The act itself mostly cuts red tape for exports.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

It is. We used lend/lease to "give" russians tanks and planes in WW2, and a few of the allies. But it comes at a cost, recipients wind up paying for the equipment at lower rates over longer periods of time so they don't go bankrupt trying to pay us back immediately after the war, or it winds up forgiven in some way, depending on how the agreement is structured with the recipient.

It doesn't sound like we're going to be sending Abrams and non-russian fighter jets. The act itself mostly cuts red tape for exports.

I was being exceedingly sarcastic. Lend Lease is a huge loving deal, and it's the first in a series of steps of unleashing the totality of the American economy in a struggle against Russia. It's a piece of kit from the total war tool box.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
My sarcasm detector works about as well as one found in Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Seriously I'm going to sleep like a loving baby tonight knowing that L/L is on the table to help Ukraine.

bees everywhere
Nov 19, 2002

I guess we'll also see a Marshall Plan once this is all over, assuming Ukraine wins. JFC, 21st Century, show some originality!

edit: How did this monkey's paw get in my pocket?

Uncle Enzo
Apr 28, 2008

I always wanted to be a Wizard

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

But it comes at a cost, recipients wind up paying for the equipment at lower rates over longer periods of time so they don't go bankrupt trying to pay us back immediately after the war, or it winds up forgiven in some way, depending on how the agreement is structured with the recipient.

I haven't read the bill, but if it works anything like the old Lend-Lease, they only have to pay for equipment if:
-The equipment still exists at the end of the war
-They want to keep the equipment

Also importantly lend-lease isn't loans of money. It's weapons ammunition trains body armor planes tanks jets artillery medical supplies uniforms machine tools anything. If they need it and we have it, it goes to them.

If we lend-lease a missile and they shoot that missile at their enemies, that was a free missile. Also, the prices are agreed on after the war. A lot of the aid that Britain repaid was loans they'd received that we kind of lumped under lend-lease- the UK did not give back the 60 billion we spent on them. And even to the degree they did pay it back, they had 60 years to do it, with pauses during bad economic times.

Also we accepted payments in kind, in the form of bases and basing agreements, technology transfers, promises of joining the new international order, etc. The point of lend-lease is to provide allies with the means to defend themselves immediately and settle up later. Besides, the country can only pay you back if it still exists.

It's as generous of lending terms as could possibly exist. Ukraine doesn't need to worry a moment about how to pay the US back- they just need to focus on winning the war. Ukraine does plenty of high-tech stuff with engines and planes and rockets, and they have access to the black sea. They have plenty to offer that wouldn't cost them a dime.

If I was in the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry and I had a part in getting the US to provide "Lend-Lease" I'd be calling my family crying for joy.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

bees everywhere posted:

I guess we'll also see a Marshall Plan once this is all over, assuming Ukraine wins. JFC, 21st Century, show some originality!

edit: How did this monkey's paw get in my pocket?

Can you imagine what 2022 would be like if we'd done a Marshall Plan on Russia in 1991

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Kesper North posted:

Can you imagine what 2022 would be like if we'd done a Marshall Plan on Russia in 1991

Can you imagine if Russia would have let us do it?

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Video showing some of what the Russians did near Chernobyl. I'd suggest skipping the last 5-10 seconds, nothing graphic just sad.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512194930491510787

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan

A.o.D. posted:

Yeah, I can. Have you seen Tomorrowland?

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

"The device would break"

Oof :(

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Remulak posted:

Yeah, I can. Have you seen Tomorrowland?

I don't know what you're referring to. :shrug:

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

My sarcasm detector works about as well as one found in Sheldon on Big Bang Theory.

See your first problem is watching Big Bang Theory. May I recommend this instead.

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

Tyro
Nov 10, 2009

Arrath posted:

"The device would break"

Oof :(

Yeah when I was there a few years ago they were pretty adamant about not petting the local dogs.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010
Thought this note from todays ISW update was appropriate to the sanctions impact and lend lease talk:

“ Ukraine’s Main Intelligence Directorate (GUR) reported on April 7 that Russian military enterprises are unable to fulfill military orders due to inflation and supply chain issues, which it attributed to the effects of western sanctions.[4] The GUR claimed it intercepted a Kremlin report on the inability of several companies to complete state contracts and discontent over the Russian Ministry of Defense forcing companies to produce orders at a loss.”

Russias supply chain seems to be even worse off than we thought and it was already pretty bad.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

highme posted:

Video showing some of what the Russians did near Chernobyl. I'd suggest skipping the last 5-10 seconds, nothing graphic just sad.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512194930491510787

https://twitter.com/skateparken/status/1512199270853746692?s=21&t=cp-5fVPgHXdxpNMcMLQy3Q

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Thank you, Uncle Enzo, for that much more thorough explanation of lend/lease in previous uses.

Marshal Prolapse posted:

See your first problem is watching Big Bang Theory. May I recommend this instead.

https://youtu.be/O7hgjuFfn3A

I blame it on TBS. I have Turner Brain Syndrome. I watch too many Turner stations. It is almost impossible to avoid big bang on TBS. It's background noise at that time of the evening when the other option is often The Office, which is no dice from me.

Besides, I have it on CNN right now.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

quote:

Russia has “blacklisted” Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern, Cabinet ministers, parliamentarians from all political parties, the Governor-General, and military and spy chiefs.

The blacklisting of 130 New Zealand politicians and officials, which will ban those listed from entering Russia, was a retaliation against the Government’s “unprecedented sanctions”, announced overnight by the Russian foreign ministry.
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/po...-and-spy-chiefs

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

A.o.D. posted:

Yes? It's not like we really tried.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
https://mobile.twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512230103278837763

The literal embodiment of not great, not terrible. I wonder what the dosage rate was before that soil got disturbed.

Kesper North posted:

Yes? It's not like we really tried.

Well, they did turn us down once before when they were way more hosed up.

Also, it's not like we gave no aid post collapse. Far from it, in fact

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Apr 8, 2022

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

the normal background dose from standing around near the earth's surface is 480μSv per year so I'm firmly convinced now everyone that was inhaling the spicy dirt in particulate form is turbofucked

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

If they were there for a month, yes. Absolutely. Cumulative dose is what gets you.

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Uncle Enzo posted:

Also we accepted payments in kind, in the form of bases and basing agreements, technology transfers, promises of joining the new international order, etc.

So you're saying that Brexit happened because they finished making L-L payments? :v:

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Uncle Enzo posted:

I haven't read the bill, but if it works anything like the old Lend-Lease, they only have to pay for equipment if:
-The equipment still exists at the end of the war
-They want to keep the equipment

Also importantly lend-lease isn't loans of money. It's weapons ammunition trains body armor planes tanks jets artillery medical supplies uniforms machine tools anything. If they need it and we have it, it goes to them.

If we lend-lease a missile and they shoot that missile at their enemies, that was a free missile. Also, the prices are agreed on after the war. A lot of the aid that Britain repaid was loans they'd received that we kind of lumped under lend-lease- the UK did not give back the 60 billion we spent on them. And even to the degree they did pay it back, they had 60 years to do it, with pauses during bad economic times.

Also we accepted payments in kind, in the form of bases and basing agreements, technology transfers, promises of joining the new international order, etc. The point of lend-lease is to provide allies with the means to defend themselves immediately and settle up later. Besides, the country can only pay you back if it still exists.

It's as generous of lending terms as could possibly exist. Ukraine doesn't need to worry a moment about how to pay the US back- they just need to focus on winning the war. Ukraine does plenty of high-tech stuff with engines and planes and rockets, and they have access to the black sea. They have plenty to offer that wouldn't cost them a dime.

If I was in the Ukrainian Foreign Ministry and I had a part in getting the US to provide "Lend-Lease" I'd be calling my family crying for joy.

The other thing L/L does is streamlines the process through the Executive branch more easily, meaning Congress doesn't have to come together every time. I don't know the specifics of this bill (and it hasn't passed the House yet anyway), but this could/should just make it easier to get materiel to Ukraine.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Actually I found a book on the topic a while back and by god what an evocative cover

e: well gently caress how thread appropriate it's a 1930 cloud chamber photograph of Po212

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Apr 8, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
It occurs to me that The Colour out of Space is a better allegory for atomic horror than Godzilla.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
I vaguely remember some Chernobyl tourist YouTuber found a pencil tip worth of graphite with a giger counter just walking around.

Imagine inhaling that as your digging a foxhole.

E:
This isn’t the video I was thinking of but yeah…

https://youtu.be/p8U4n-YZDN8

Not great, not terrible.

davecrazy fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Apr 8, 2022

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

That's only detecting gamma so it doesn't pick up the *much more dangerous* alpha and beta particles which would be the primary sources from digging in the dirt.

Tiny amounts of alpha particles can make your day very very bad.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

For those who aren't up on their particle physics, alphas are only really dangerous if they get past the skin. Your skin does a fine job of blocking them most of the time, and simply washing down is enough to prevent them causing any real harm normally.

Unless, say, you were digging up heavily irradiated earth without respirators, living in irradiated soil, or something.

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

This one is better IMO

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

orange juche posted:

That's only detecting gamma so it doesn't pick up the *much more dangerous* alpha and beta particles which would be the primary sources from digging in the dirt.

Tiny amounts of alpha particles can make your day very very bad.

I think it was the PYF Dangerous Chemistry thread, but I saw someone describe alpha particles as “drunk-driving helium nuclei on an adventure looking for their lost electrons”.

Generally harmless unless breathed in, but…well…:smith:

Jimmy Smuts
Aug 8, 2000

It's only now hit me that a lot of Russian soldiers probably aren't aware of the dangers of Chernobyl, due to their draft age & lack of reporting about it in 1990s-2010s Russian news. And maybe that's why they did extremely beyond-idiots-thread-level stupid poo poo such as shelling the reactor site, and digging around that area. loving sucks to be them.

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Russians don’t have Stalker video games?

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Crimean sea bases are going to leased to the US for a dollar a decade by then end of this war.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Crab Dad posted:

Crimean sea bases are going to leased to the US for a dollar a decade by then end of this war.

Total Russian Victory!