Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

I wonder if more people will die of COVID or murder in Baltimore this year. it might be close, as recorded. (they’re all murders)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Mean Queen
Jun 2, 2004

Zesty.

Pingui posted:

Here we go again :coronatoot:

*25 states reporting

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
The redemption arc of Max Titers:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/07/health/illicit-covid-19-vaccine-doses/index.html posted:

They got illicit Covid-19 vaccine doses -- and say they'd do it again in a heartbeat
(..)
Many of them didn't want to talk publicly last year for fear of being shamed, or even criminally prosecuted, but immune-compromised people tell CNN they lied -- or were prepared to lie, or at the very least misled -- pharmacists and other healthcare providers to get unauthorized doses of Covid-19 vaccine.

A senior physician at the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention tells CNN that the agency knew about these unauthorized doses as they were happening, and that the government's decision to later allow booster doses for this group rested largely on data generated by the very doses the government told people not to get.
(..)
When the Pfizer/BioNTech and Moderna vaccines rolled out in December 2020, no one knew if immune-compromised people would benefit from them.

Dr. Dorry Segev, a transplant surgeon then at Johns Hopkins University, decided to find out.

That month, Segev and his colleagues started what he calls a "real world observational study" to see how well the vaccine worked in people with compromised immune systems.
(..)
The Hopkins team followed 30 patients who got no or very low antibody levels after two shots and decided on their own to get third shots.

Those third shots produced antibodies for nearly half of the 30 study participants: 12 had high levels of antibodies after the third dose, 2 had low antibody levels, and 16 had none, according to a letter published by the Hopkins researchers June 15 in the Annals of Internal Medicine.
(..)
"I was ecstatic," he said. "I never felt so happy to feel crappy."
(..)
"Everybody felt anxiety. I don't know anyone who didn't feel anxiety," said Handal, co-founder of the Transplant Recipients and Immunocompromised Patient Advocacy Group. "Some people thought it was a crime, and we had to tell them it's not a crime."

Legal experts say she's essentially correct. CDC guidelines are just that -- guidelines, not laws -- and the FDA's emergency use authorizations direct health care providers, not patients, about what they can and cannot do.

Even if a patient were at a government vaccine distribution site and falsely attested to something on a written form, "there's still no material fraud against the United States," said Lawrence Gostin, director of the O'Neill Institute for National and Global Health Law at Georgetown Law. "And even if you could construe this as a crime, no one would prosecute it."

Gostin said after what the immune-compromised have been through -- getting vaccines that often didn't produce antibodies, staying isolated at home for far longer than others - "to criminalize this would be a moral outrage."

He said the FDA and the CDC "should have acted much more quickly in protecting the immunocompromised" and that "if anyone abdicated responsibility it was our agencies, not the frightened individual."
(..)
CDC knew about illicit doses
It turns out the CDC knew the whole time that people were breaking the rules, according to a senior physician there.

"We were aware of the phenomenon," the CDC doctor said. "We actually monitor it -- for those states that share their vaccine registry with us, we could see that people were engaging in this practice."

And of course, CDC scientists read the Hopkins studies. In fact, the CDC doctor said the government's okay for extra doses relied to a great extent on the Hopkins data on people who broke the rules and got unauthorized shots -- something Segev, who led the Hopkins study calls "a strange irony."

(..)
Segev, the transplant surgeon who led the Hopkins research and is now at NYU Langone Health, said he understands why the initial vaccine clinical trials excluded immune-compromised people. He said it was known that the vaccines might not work well in this group, and their poor results could skew the results for everyone else.

But he wonders why there weren't separate clinical trials done early on with immune-compromised participants.

"That wasn't done, and it put everyone in a bind," he said.

He thinks back to the participants in his study who went against FDA and CDC rules last spring and summer and got extra doses, making every effort to protect themselves just before and during the Delta wave.

He shudders to think what would have happened if they'd followed along with government guidance and not gotten those additional shots, going unprotected as Delta spread.

"It would have been a disaster," he said. "An absolute disaster."

-ish. Who isn't immuno-compromised when it comes to COVID?

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't know if it'll change much, but hey:

https://www.reuters.com./world/us/us-court-reinstates-biden-federal-employee-covid-vaccine-mandate-2022-04-07/ posted:

U.S. court reinstates Biden federal employee COVID vaccine mandate

WASHINGTON, April 7 (Reuters) - A U.S. appeals court panel on Thursday reinstated President Joe Biden's executive order mandating that federal civilian employees be vaccinated against COVID-19.

By a 2-1 vote, the 5th Circuit Court of Appeals lifted an injunction issued by a U.S. district judge in Texas in January that had blocked enforcement of the federal employee vaccine mandate. Biden said in September he would require about 3.5 million government workers to get vaccinated by Nov. 22, barring a religious or medical accommodation, or face discipline or firing.
(..)

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Pingui posted:

I don't know if it'll change much, but hey:

The federal contractor mandate is still gone though, right?

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme

Angryhead posted:

Good recommendation, just listened to it.
Yeah, I just did too.

It was indeed good, but it was also strangely distressing to hear the guest (a scientist who’s good enough at his job to get published in Nature) say basically what this thread has been saying for a while:
- The “plan” is for everyone to get covid a few times a year
- Long covid with *at least* a few months of symptoms is in the tens of percents of likelihood per infection
- If you get covid and don’t get PCR confirmation, it may cause problems if you ever need to file for long covid disability
- Speaking of which, it is getting very hard or even impossible to get PCR tests in some places unless you are hospitalized or in certain professions
- Many HCWs don’t know anything about long covid and are unsympathetic, but this has been changing as they, themselves, are getting it
- But again, gaslighting by doctors etc is really common
- He reiterated that it is extremely dumb even from a purely amoral, capitalist perspective to be Open Bidening like we are, because really sick people can’t work and people who can’t work don’t have money to spend
- There’s going to be a lot of viral leopards eating people’s faces
- OPEN. BIDEN.

edit: oh yeah, turns out polio’s aftereffects took years to show up. coooooooooooolllllll

Zugzwang has issued a correction as of 01:44 on Apr 8, 2022

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
I don't recall this being posted:

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41586-022-04702-4 posted:

FcγR-mediated SARS-CoV-2 infection of monocytes activates inflammation

Abstract
SARS-CoV-2 can cause acute respiratory distress and death in some patients1. Although severe COVID-19 disease is linked to exuberant inflammation, how SARS-CoV-2 triggers inflammation is not understood2. Monocytes and macrophages are sentinel cells that sense invasive infection to form inflammasomes that activate caspase-1 and gasdermin D (GSDMD), leading to inflammatory death (pyroptosis) and release of potent inflammatory mediators3. Here we show that about 6% of blood monocytes in COVID-19 patients are infected with SARS-CoV-2. Monocyte infection depends on uptake of antibody-opsonized virus by Fcγ receptors. Vaccine recipient plasma does not promote antibody-dependent monocyte infection. SARS-CoV-2 begins to replicate in monocytes, but infection is aborted, and infectious virus is not detected in infected monocyte culture supernatants. Instead, infected cells undergo inflammatory cell death (pyroptosis) mediated by activation of NLRP3 and AIM2 inflammasomes, caspase-1 and GSDMD. Moreover, tissue-resident macrophages, but not infected epithelial and endothelial cells, from COVID-19 lung autopsies have activated inflammasomes. These findings taken together suggest that antibody-mediated SARS-CoV-2 uptake by monocytes/macrophages triggers inflammatory cell death that aborts production of infectious virus but causes systemic inflammation that contributes to COVID-19 pathogenesis.
(..)

News article on it:

https://edition.cnn.com/2022/04/06/health/covid-big-inflammation/index.html posted:

Study reveals how Covid-19 infections can set off massive inflammation in the body
(..)
Researchers knew that these so-called cytokine storms were damaging, but they didn't know why the SARS-CoV-2 virus seemed to be so good at setting them off.

A new study published Wednesday in the journal Nature is helping to explain how these immune overreactions happen to Covid-19 patients.
The study revealed that the SARS-CoV-2 virus can infect certain kinds of immune cells called monocytes and macrophages.

Front-line immune cells are infected
Monocytes and macrophages are white blood cells, and they are frontline workers of the immune system. Their job is to circulate in the blood and tissues, to find and destroy pathogens. They do this by eating -- or really, surrounding and absorbing -- threats like viruses to keep them from being able to infect other cells.

Once a bad actor is absorbed, these cells have what can best be described as a cellular garbage disposal, called an endosome, that normally shuts the infectious agent down.

In the case of the SARS-CoV-2 virus, however, that doesn't happen. The virus gets out of the endosome and escapes into the body of the cell, where it starts making copies of itself.

"The viruses not only get taken up, but once they get taken up, the virus starts replicating, so that was surprising," said Dr. Judith Lieberman, a pediatric immunologist at Boston Children's Hospital, who led the research.

A virus starting to make copies of itself in the body is never a good thing, but when this happens to these protector cells, it sets off a next-level set of alarms.

A fiery death
These alarms, in turn, summon agents called inflammasomes that, in essence, respond by burning it all down. They help the infected cell die by pyroptosis, or "fiery death."

Pyroptosis is a newly recognized phenomenon. It happens in other diseases, too, like sepsis.

"When cells die by pyroptosis, they release all kinds of inflammatory proteins that cause fever and summon more immune cells to the site," Lieberman said. It sets off a cascade of crisis signals that's very difficult to stop.

"We don't have any way of treating that once it gets started. It's just sort of it's like a little fire. It spreads and explodes and no fire extinguisher is capable of putting it out," she said.
(..)
The role of antibodies
There's another piece of the process, though, that suggests a way it might be stopped, and that's how the virus gets into these white blood cells.

Monocytes and macrophages lack ACE-2 receptors, the doors that the virus uses to dock onto and infect other kinds of cells. Instead, the virus enters these cells because of another immune system helper -- the Y-shaped antibodies that grab onto the virus in an attempt to block it from docking onto our cells.

When antibodies grab viruses, the tail of the antibody -- called the FC portion -- sticks out. That stalk acts a flag to wave down monocytes and macrophages to let them know there's a bad guy to pick up.

Not all monocytes recognize the same antibodies. The study found people with Covid-19 tended to have more of an unusual type of monocyte that had CD16 receptors. These receptors recognize the stalks of antibodies that the body makes to fight the SARS-CoV-2 virus.

Those antibodies connect to monocytes with CD16 receptors, triggering the cell to absorb the virus. Once inside, the virus starts trying to copy itself, setting off the damaging inflammatory reaction.

John Wherry, director of the Institute for Immunology at the University of Pennsylvania's Perelman School of Medicine, said that's something we've been wondering about with Covid-19 infections, whether there might be some kind of antibody enhancement of disease. Wherry was not involved in the study.

He said this can happen with other infections, too, like dengue fever. The more times a person gets infected with the dengue virus, the sicker they get with each subsequent bout. That's the opposite of what's supposed to happen. A person who recovers from an infection usually has better protection against future ones.
(..)
However, the antibodies generated by vaccines don't seem to facilitate monocyte infections and the inflammatory cascades that follow. They tested that in the study.
(..)

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007
guy i work with told me he was out the last two days with "stomach flu" or "food poisoning" so bad that he fell asleep on his bathroom floor.
lady i work with was told me yesterday that her niece has covid, but she wasn't in the same room with her for more than a few minutes. today three more people in her family tested positive.
at least it's friday on my planet.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Thoguh posted:

The federal contractor mandate is still gone though, right?

Yes. The article mentions that requirement at the very end, with no update beyond it being blocked.

salient
Jan 2, 2021

quote:

Dispatch will be removing the COVID screening questions in the very near future so you will see that die off in the CAD notes. They are hoping this will expedite their ability to ask more pertinent questions; thus, providing a better dispatch/response.
:shepicide:

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
Shocking!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/07/people-have-false-sense-of-security-about-covid-risks-among-friends-study posted:

People have false sense of security about Covid risks among friends – study
Research shows people believe they are less likely to catch virus from friends and family than strangers

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

mawarannahr posted:

https://twitter.com/HarryLeeming/status/1512017051744882689?s=20&t=bMPwq2uCOQv9jFWmfY92Fg

it must have been the shame of not being able to hack it as a real doctor

mckinsey employee

net gain

pancake rabbit
Feb 21, 2011

https://twitter.com/DevonHeinen/status/1512234696305827843

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice
i'm shocked to learn that our elected officials are still not immune to the deadly pandemic

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme
They should make the legislative chambers into schools, then covid won’t spread there.

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe
i still don't get how biden wasn't a close contact to pelosi?? did the cdc just decree it didn't apply to the president?

Stevie Lee
Oct 8, 2007

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

not_superiority posted:

i still don't get how biden wasn't a close contact to pelosi?? did the cdc just decree it didn't apply to the president?
She was 7 feet away for 14.5 minutes

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

not_superiority posted:

gotta be within 6' for 15+ minutes, she was only there 14.5.

e: gdi ^

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

I gotta go to the doc and get a dumb event monitor for my stupid heart because it's being dumb, and stupid, and not my friend

but I've got these dudes and an electric blanket so it's not all bad

jfc they really do say the same line every time huh

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

not_superiority posted:

I don’t get why it would matter anyway since their “guidance” is now that vaccinated close contacts don’t need to test or isolate.

Stereotype
Apr 24, 2010

College Slice

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

I gotta go to the doc and get a dumb event monitor for my stupid heart because it's being dumb, and stupid, and not my friend

but I've got these dudes and an electric blanket so it's not all bad

the new way to say hello and goodbye in washington dc is "get vaccinated"

Daniel Dales Dick
Apr 8, 2020

”With the coldest winter ever recorded, with snow setting record levels up and down the coast, the Nobel committee should take the Nobel Prize back from Al Gore"

Pillowpants posted:

Apparently BNO is now Medrivanews room?

2022 Deaths: 165,526

COVID Beds: 15,174 (+163 since yesterday, +225 since two days ago)
COVID ICU: 2,143 (first increases this week in months)
COVID Admissions average: 5,972 (two week high)

https://twitter.com/patricklsimpson/status/1512223368287772673?s=20&t=AD_fbF-XYHKq-HvUOfDZgA

The Senate has displayed true leadership in getting covid before this BA.2 wave really starts spiking in the US.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Stereotype posted:

the new way to say hello and goodbye in washington dc is "get vaccinated"

vax be with you
and also with your spirit :catholic:

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Zugzwang posted:

They should make the legislative chambers into schools, then covid won’t spread there.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Just doin' a routine normal daily test, like normal folk. Getting immediate access to treatment after popping positive, like normal folk.

TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING OTHER THAN ISOLATING LIKE GETTING MABS AND PAXLOVID YOU gently caress.

Mustached Demon
Nov 12, 2016

covid take my energy

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Pingui posted:

The redemption arc of Max Titers:

-ish. Who isn't immuno-compromised when it comes to COVID?

so for anybody who feels any shame about lying about being immunocompromised, this is my line, and how you can rationalize it to yourself:

you do not have a good immune response to COVID. that is fake. there is no good immunity to COVID. you either get lucky or you don't. your immune system is compromised because we created a perfect storm of creating vaccine and immune escaping COVID. if you breath, you're immunocompromised.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
As an official immuno-compromised person, I officially give you all permission to lie your rear end off and say you are. It only helps me by making it more mainstream/common/accepted. loving let 'er rip.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

Teenage Riot posted:

Someone please explain Dutch Bros to me, I had never heard of it til I moved to my current apartment that has one down the street and it has humongous lines and the biggest lines are at like 8 at night I really don’t understand

It's a candy coffee style place similar to Starbucks. Tastes a bit different and they have italian sodas and energy drinks in very wide variety of flavors with a "secret" menu posted in their app and website. They hire a bit more fratty/sorority style employees than Starbucks probably to the point there's some discrimination going on. They have really long lines because they are really slow (probably because they run a pretty bare bones operation).

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Get her loving ghoul rear end

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Pingui posted:

Shocking!

God I hate this stupid country

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Guess COVID was one thing Pelosi's insider information wasn't able to help her with.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Thoguh posted:

Just doin' a routine normal daily test, like normal folk. Getting immediate access to treatment after popping positive, like normal folk.

TELL US WHAT YOU ARE DOING OTHER THAN ISOLATING LIKE GETTING MABS AND PAXLOVID YOU gently caress.

this is why nobody gives a gently caress anymore

unless they know someone young/"healthy" who got it real bad or died from it, all anyone sees is politicians/athletes/celebrities popping positive with no initial symptoms and no follow-up whatsoever

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible

Teenage Riot posted:

Someone please explain Dutch Bros to me, I had never heard of it til I moved to my current apartment that has one down the street and it has humongous lines and the biggest lines are at like 8 at night I really don’t understand

i think its like that Beastie Boys lyric "I like my sugar with coffee and cream" but with a 24oz cup and a packed drive-through

in covid news this week upper management sent out an email "Great news everyone, we no longer require masks in the office!"
its not great and youre disgusting

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

Mr. Pizza
Oct 5, 2009

yeah i got the covid blues

Horseshoe theory
Mar 7, 2005

Mr. Pizza posted:

Are you too young to VOTE? :thunk:

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Mr. Pizza posted:

*attempts to toot on harmonica but my O2 is too low*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Acelerion
May 3, 2005

Sex Arse of Calais posted:

Late this morning after a routine test administered twice daily by my concierge physician, I tested positive for sars-cov-2. I am asymptomatic as are 99% of people at this stage of infection and am thankful to have access to monoclonal antibodies that can be administered well within the window of opportunity due to my elite status.

I will be isolating with an army of doctors that will spare no expense to ensure my well being. God bless and vote democrat.