Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

I’ve done that stone cold sober in bullet games

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

and they trust you with a mod star? wild

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

i mean they let this guy have one

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
The wayward pawn attack is very strong.

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Salt Fish posted:

The wayward pawn attack is very strong.

yes, it is.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Beer Loses more than a game Sunday ...
We lost our Captain, our Teammate, our Friend Kelly Calabro...
Rest in Peace my friend you will be greatly missed..
Finished my tournament and will write up the games later but here's a taste of my getting my rear end kicked.

My opponent plays 31.Na1. Unreal move. I think I was okay otherwise, too.

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
I've only been playing chess for about a week (not counting playing as a kid and knowing no strategy besides how the pieces move). I feel like my endgame is garbage and I was flubbing openings like crazy last night. I'm ecstatic right now because I just won a game on chess.com (I'm not gonna say their ELO rating because it's embarrassing). I felt like my opening was solid, and I racked my brain until I found the perfect checkmate that my opponent somehow didn't see coming. I feel like things are starting to click a little bit. It felt especially good after an earlier game where I had like +15 material after getting a second queen and making the worst move possible after that (I blame it on the Mary Jane and muscle relaxers I just started taking today).

Edit: My username is the same there so please don't look at my game history unless you already think I'm an idiot.

poonchasta fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Mar 28, 2022

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Hand Knit posted:

Finished my tournament and will write up the games later but here's a taste of my getting my rear end kicked.

My opponent plays 31.Na1. Unreal move. I think I was okay otherwise, too.

Whats the threat here? ...Na4 followed by ...Nc3?

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Control Volume posted:

Whats the threat here? ...Na4 followed by ...Nc3?

Yeah the straightforward threat is something like Na4, and then meeting b4 with Nc2. After about 20 minutes I ended up playing Bg5 with the idea of Be7 and defending the pawn from that side. The defence worked practically but doesn't work objectively.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Weird and slightly unsatisfying feeling in a rapid game to think I was exchanging rooks but actually checkmated the opponent because my rook couldn't be captured because it was supported on a long diagonal by my bishop that I'd forgotten about. Hooray for having well positioned pieces that cover a lot of squares, I guess!

Amniotic
Jan 23, 2008

Dignity and an empty sack is worth the sack.

The flip side is having your threatening, balanced, and perfectly defended position revealed to be a house of cards by one seemingly innocuous move by the opponent.

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Amniotic posted:

The flip side is having your threatening, balanced, and perfectly defended position revealed to be a house of cards by one seemingly innocuous move by the opponent.

Yes, that actually happens much more often!

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die
Today's chessle was quite a stumper but I managed to figure it out eventually.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Carbolic posted:

Got it as soon as I realized it was April 1st.

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Hand Knit posted:

read this message and went to try it, got it in 1 lol

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?

Carbolic posted:

Hadn't heard of chessle, but that's a fun game. Got it in five today.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
I spent like 10m looking for a move that would blunder a mate in 1 for black

edit wait I thought we were talking about the chess.com puzzle of the day what the hell is chessle

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Apr 2, 2022

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Ha that is pretty funny. I got the first four moves after reading Hand Knit's comment but couldn't get the last two.

I'll assume I can find the continuation in a particularly famous game that I gave up searching for.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

To be fair there is a moderately famous game in today's chessle opening.

Apsyrtes
May 17, 2004

Stumbled on this today: https://youtu.be/apsVY_qQiPE

That channel is, er, something else....

Carbolic
Apr 19, 2007

This song is about how America chews the working man up and spits him in the dirt to die

Hand Knit posted:

It took me three different tries where absolutely no moves were hitting other than e4 e5 before the penny dropped.

Also, one thing I didn’t realize until recently is that it will give you a gold box for a move even if it is played by the other side. e5 is a common culprit.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

today’s was the first time i didn’t get the opening at all. which is awesome, because it’s literally what i play as black against e4

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Really struggling with this kind of puzzle. I looked at the solution, and then looked at it on the analysis board for like 20 minutes lol... It's just very challenging for me to visualize. Black to move and win a piece.

The ramp up in difficulty starting around 2050 into 2100 is severe compared to earlier ratings. I'm starting to stall out after a year of puzzles.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

Is that one Queen takes Queen, White Bishop recaptures, and then Black's Bishop recaptures? I don't see any other alternative that leaves you up. Maybe I'm missing something, or if I got it maybe this is one of those ones that I see really easily

Zwabu
Aug 7, 2006

Artelier posted:

Is that one Queen takes Queen, White Bishop recaptures, and then Black's Bishop recaptures? I don't see any other alternative that leaves you up. Maybe I'm missing something, or if I got it maybe this is one of those ones that I see really easily

Yeah that's what I figured the solution to be also.

There's a certain type of puzzle that's giving me trouble lately. It's where the moves in the combination change the circumstances and tactics on the board.

Like sometimes the enemy Queen pins one of your pieces against your King. But if that Queen is also doing double duty protecting some other piece, if you exchange off that piece, the Queen recapturing releases the pin and that's the key to the puzzle.

Likewise I did a really good one recently (didn't get it) where you win a rook that was protected by the enemy Queen along a diagonal. The key move is a knight move that discovers a check against the enemy king along a diagonal, after the move the knight is now interposed along the diagonal between the Queen and rook, blocking the Queen's defense of the rook (and the knight is further supported by a pawn!), upon which your Queen scoops up the rook which is now en prise, after the enemy King gets out of check.

The fact of the Queen defending the rook seemed to be an immutable feature of the position, and the fact that this circumstance would change with one of the available moves because of an interposition was a blind spot I couldn't see, of course I looked at the knight moves that led to discovered check but somehow couldn't see this feature of the position because I had "rook protected by Queen" locked in as a permanent feature somehow.

Zwabu fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Apr 5, 2022

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Did you calculate the variations where the rooks come off the board? Ultimately what separates one set of captures from the other? essentially, the only reason that it wins a piece one way is that the king participates in the captures, so in this case one of the captures being a check works against white

edit: I still can't visualize it knowing the answer. I think its just practice, I've only been playing chess 1 year, I'll check back next year.

Salt Fish fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 5, 2022

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Start with a candidate move search before you start going in to any particular line. Once you see that Qxe4 is possible, you see very quickly that it works simply, and once you have that you can stop bothering with other lines.

Sub Rosa
Jun 9, 2010

Salt Fish posted:

Did you calculate the variations where the rooks come off the board?

You are a pawn down, your queen is threatened by white's queen and bishop, and you know this is a puzzle. You have to move your queen or take their queen with your bishop, only candidate moves. We should look at QxQ first. They can only take back with their bishop. If they do, that bishop is hanging. Clearly winning a piece. Good. Any other queen move saving the queen look better? No. Okay, let's look at BxQ instead. BxQ, BxQ, BxR, BxR, Bxa2, Bxa7, Bxb3, Bxc5. Looks like you are still a pawn down but now it is just simplified and more probably losing. Honestly I wouldn't look that deep, I would see one looks like you win a piece and the other looks like fairly equal trades.

I have no clue what you mean by the king participating in captures in what I see here.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Oh I should mention that in the puzzle the computer plays bxg7 intermezzo before recapturing the queen. That isn't important.

Hand Knit
Oct 24, 2005

Salt Fish posted:

Oh I should mention that in the puzzle the computer plays bxg7 intermezzo before recapturing the queen. That isn't important.

The way these auto-generated puzzles work, the program selects lines which demand only moves. This means sometimes we get these trivial checks, since even though Bxg7+ doesn't logically add anything to the puzzle from the program's perspective it is a move that "forces" you to solve for the only response that preserves the win (recapturing the piece).

poonchasta
Feb 22, 2007

FFFFAAAFFFFF FFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFFAAAAAAFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFFF FFFFFFFAAAAAAAFFFFF
Does anyone know where to get a decent magnetic pocket chess set with the token shaped pieces? I got the 10 dollar one from Amazon that is just a thin vinyl material. It definitely feels like it'll start falling apart at the folds if I actually pocket carried it. I'd like to get a metal one (looks líke an old school cigarette case), which Amazon has for 40 bucks but the delivery time is weirdly long. The movie Pawn Sacrifice had Tobey Maguire using one that looked decent and zipped up that they show in the trailer for a second. Something like that would be cool too.

poonchasta fucked around with this message at 13:59 on Apr 7, 2022

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Is aimchess premium worth it? I thought I was getting somewhere in terms of bullet rating but I've been pretty stagnant around 1150 for awhile now. I'm not really sure what I should be doing to improve, because just playing a lot of games isn't getting me very far lately. It's weird because I had really steady improvement when I was playing rapid rapid, but bullet has just not been working out for me in the same way.

e: Had a good day and I'm back in the low 1200s. Maybe it'll just happen with steady practice. Some lessons about creating passed pawns have been helping me in the endgame.

dhamster fucked around with this message at 06:37 on Apr 10, 2022

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

i just got this totally ludicrous winning position in bullet. down 8 points of material and in check but that attack on his king was just in time that he didn’t really have a way to stop it

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

fart simpson posted:

i just got this totally ludicrous winning position in bullet. down 8 points of material and in check but that attack on his king was just in time that he didn’t really have a way to stop it

Gonna have to take your word on that, op

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

knight blocks the check and blacks got nothing. white queen has the thread of taking c2 with check, king d8 is forced then queen d7 mate

jng2058
Jul 17, 2010

We have the tools, we have the talent!

jiggerypokery posted:

Gonna have to take your word on that, op

Once he gets out of check with NBd2 the black queen can't do anything more than uselessly take the white rook or try one more check then get captured. Then there's nothing the black rook can do to prevent some variation of mate like Qxc6+ Kd8 Qd7#.

The pawn on e6 and the white queen are unstoppable at this point.

e: Spent too much time making sure I got the notation right and got :ninja:. Oh well.

jng2058 fucked around with this message at 11:13 on Apr 8, 2022

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
Got Chessle in 1 guess today. :feelsgood:

Just generally, do you think it's possible for a game of chess to end in mate without either player making a mistake (or what a modern chess engine would classify as a mistake)? I don't mean theoretical perfect play, but could a couple of middling chess players play a game where they're not always playing the top engine move, and those imperfections accumulate into one player being a pawn up or in an advantageous position without an engine classifying any single move as "wrong"? Or would your opponent probably be in a position to force a draw in those circumstances?

Baronash fucked around with this message at 14:18 on Apr 8, 2022

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy
No.

dhamster
Aug 5, 2013

I got into my car and ate my chalupa with a feeling of accomplishment.
Computer chess tournaments have many games that end in mate, even though each side is doing the top computer move

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

No one really knows if perfect play is a draw because chess isn't solved. It can't ever be solved either. Computer chess exists as a meta sport of who can make the best approximator of perfect play.

Bobby Fisher thought perfect play was a draw I'm pretty sure, and many grand masters agree but it's one of those things that is mathematically unknowable