Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Looks like some people skied the couloir above the village yesterday. It's super steep and narrow, a guide I skied with a few weeks ago was suggesting doing it sometime but it looks pretty nails from this angle.

3 weeks to go to the PdG, I've been getting a decent amount of vertical in and feeling pretty good. 1100m Saturday, 2000m yesterday. I'm hoping my team-mates back in London are hitting the stair machine a whole lot.

knox_harrington fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Apr 5, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

Bet it's neither as steep or as narrow as it looks from that angle! Pretty sure you should go check it out on a training ski with your guide buddy.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

spwrozek posted:

I feel like you crushed it. Great job.

Thanks! Feels great to be done, and I haven’t been too tired to do a bit of shredding at the resorts here for the last two days. Aspen/Ajax was really fun Monday, Highlands was great yesterday (and Deep Temerity is possibly my favorite lift name ever), and today we hit Snowmass before peacing put back to Tahoe tonight. I definitely want to come back. (For the skiing, not the big dumb race)

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

It's great spring touring, too. I'm out this weekend, but we're gearing up to go big the following two weekends if the weather and snowpack allow it.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Steve French posted:

Thanks! Feels great to be done, and I haven’t been too tired to do a bit of shredding at the resorts here for the last two days. Aspen/Ajax was really fun Monday, Highlands was great yesterday (and Deep Temerity is possibly my favorite lift name ever), and today we hit Snowmass before peacing put back to Tahoe tonight. I definitely want to come back. (For the skiing, not the big dumb race)

Good news you are coming back for two more big dumb races? Ha.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Yep, that's pretty much it.
Question: Do they drink Montucky in Big Sky or Montana in general?

EvilTwig
Jan 31, 2001
They definitely served it at https://www.bigskytowncenter.com/directory/tips-up/ but I was too busy enjoying MAP swiftys and Mexican Party beers

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire

Moot .1415926535 posted:

Question: Do they drink Montucky in Big Sky or Montana in general?

No.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

In bounds slide in Heather Canyon at Meadows took a 30 year old experienced rider last week. He went missing on Tuesday and wasn’t found until yesterday. Temps were super warm Wednesday and Thursday and the alpine above that area was in extreme slide risk so they couldn’t search.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
There was an article in the local paper this week about a spring storm in 72 where four skiers died in an in-bounds avalanche.

They quote a guy in it about how he can't remember anyone else dying in an in-bounds avalanche since.

And then someone died in one earlier this week.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
One of the things I've finally doing is that I'm working on becoming a member of my regional SAR team and hope to become part of the mountain rescue unit. Once I finally start to taper off my involvement with racing, I want to stay involved in winter sports by becoming a volunteer patroller and also SAR volunteer. I thing I didn't fully appreciate is how much SAR work is recovery vs rescue.

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

HookShot posted:

There was an article in the local paper this week about a spring storm in 72 where four skiers died in an in-bounds avalanche.

They quote a guy in it about how he can't remember anyone else dying in an in-bounds avalanche since.

And then someone died in one earlier this week.

My brother watched this one happen as he got off the lift at Taos and was part of the group that pulled the skier's body out:

https://backcountrymagazine.com/stories/skier-dies-after-inbounds-avalanche-in-taos-new-mexico-while-another-remains-in-critical-condition/

It was a horrifying experience that completely changed his attitude towards mountain safety.

Steve French
Sep 8, 2003

I’ve been involved in SAR around here a bit. One thing I learned from doing a training day with a local ski patrol is that using a RECCO detector is much much much harder than an avalanche beacon, and it’s also much much more likely that the first patroller on the scene of an in bounds slide will have an avalanche beacon (since they all have one, and they don’t all have a RECCO detector).

If you’ve got a beacon, wear it inbounds. If you don’t, and ski in avalanche terrain, consider getting one.

And also that in the winter in a resort area, a large number of calls are due to people wandering out of bounds and getting lost and are fairly straightforward rescues, partially because they tend to get lost in the same predictable places

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I wear my beacon any time I'm skiing in avalanche terrain, regardless of rated avy danger that day or whether or not I'm inbounds at a resort.

People sometimes scoff that it's useless without a partner and probe/shovel (I carry those when I am in the BC or gnarly inbounds hikes), and I explain to them I'm not necessarily wearing it so that I can be saved - I am wearing it inbounds so that patrol can find my body and give my family closure.

That said, as mentioned above, every patroller is wearing a beacon, so it certainly does increase my chances a bit. Plus if I see an avalanche occur I can try to zero in on any hits while placing an emergency call to patrol. I learned this from some norwegian dudes I met in BC, they said if you have the beacon it would be stupid not to wear it. You just have to make sure you switch to search mode asap if there's a slide nearby so that your transmit signal won't complicate the search.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Today and yesterday at Snowmass have been as good as the deepest midwinter days. Also my legs are ready to fall off now.

highme
May 25, 2001

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

Been watching all day and forgot to share, Natural Selection finals from AK. Travis is out here to prove why he's the goat.

https://stream.naturalselectiontour.com/

edit:
gently caress I should be riding not watching.

"Mt. Hood Weather Forecast
The blower pow buffet continues this morning. 14” in 24 hours, 7” overnight, 1” water equivalent. Zero wind. That’s as perfect as snow gets in the Cascades, and you should make it yours of you can. If not, you’ll have tomorrow, when a similar amount of similar powder will be available for you. Cool temps keep the packed powder around through Sunday. We then head into another round of accumulation on Monday. Temps with that one are uncertain; the precip could be either snow or rain at this point. As always, we vote for the cooler outcome."

ironlung
Dec 31, 2001

Eejit posted:

Today and yesterday at Snowmass have been as good as the deepest midwinter days. Also my legs are ready to fall off now.

2% bottomless blower in April at the country club, you love to see it. I think there were like 50 people total on Ajax today.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Eejit posted:

I was jealous over here in Denver. My 15 degree bike ride with wind in my face was a real kick in the pants when I saw how much drat snow you got.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

ironlung posted:

2% bottomless blower in April at the country club, you love to see it. I think there were like 50 people total on Ajax today.

There was nobody on Snowmass either, and that's by Aspen standards too. Whatever we looked at, so long as it wasn't a blue under a chair, was ours for first tracks.

Like, it was stupid deep. And stupid light. And stupid not crowded. Just some of the best riding of my life. Glad you got out there, I might ride Ajax tomorrow before work.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Eejit posted:

:negative:

I think we're definitely doing Ikon again next year. I'm tempted to just head out there this weekend.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Black Diamond was filming a “thriller” all day in our parking lot. Odd time of year to make a ski movie.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
So I'm kind of learning snowboarding in an indoor place, for eventual snowboarding in the alps. I'm kind of annoyed by the rental boots. They seem to be some old rear end version of the Burton Imprint boots, and I'm not too impressed by their fit. Is it worthwhile to get my own boots quite ahead of time (i.e. the vacation)? It feels like the better the fit, the easier to control the board.

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
Boots are kinda the most important thing of your setup, and yeah, having a consistent comfortable boot would be extremely helpful.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

Spring skiing man. So good. Wind buff up top and slush down low. The churro place by the Breck gondola is very good too.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Anyone done any touring between Ouray and Silverton? Up there for work in two weeks and want to tour one day. Could also head towards Telluride, but I figure being on 550 makes it easy to go south.

Moot .1415926535
Mar 24, 2006

Easiest thing to do would be to skin up to where the red mountain alpine hut is and go from there, just from a parking standpoint. It’s getting thin here, but if you wanna ski the resort or some nearby stuff I can give you the beta. A trophy line that’s probably still good to go out of telluride is the lightning bolt:

https://www.powderproject.com/trail/7000660/lightning-bolt-couloir

The birthday chutes in Alta Lakes are a pretty mellow but decently long skin up and those are probably still good to go. It’s possible that Wilson Peak (the Coors can mountain) is skiable but you’d want a guide.

e: lightning bolt bang bang

Moot .1415926535 fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Apr 18, 2022

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Went to Denver on Friday to see mogwai and enjoyed spring t shirt riding on sat at winter park and six to eight inches of pow on sunday.

Was feeling pretty good about the weekend until I got a text from my buddy who said it was all time at the bird and bottomless in mineral basin, which makes sense because it always snows the most when I go somewhere else.

Then this morning a coworker goes "did you make it to the bird on Sunday?? It was all time!!" I didn't even know the guy skied. :drat:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Went to Denver on Friday to see mogwai and enjoyed spring t shirt riding on sat at winter park and six to eight inches of pow on sunday.

Was feeling pretty good about the weekend until I got a text from my buddy who said it was all time at the bird and bottomless in mineral basin, which makes sense because it always snows the most when I go somewhere else.

Then this morning a coworker goes "did you make it to the bird on Sunday?? It was all time!!" I didn't even know the guy skied. :drat:

Eejit and I toured in insane gale force winds on sunday. Good times. Enjoyable skiing but man wind in the face. My dog was just cruising along...what's the problem guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzYZHWHDBlc

alnilam
Nov 10, 2009

We're getting tons of spring snow in the cascades right as a lot of the more local resorts are closing, but I went to Hoodoo for their last day yesterday and had a great time. Freshest and most powdery snow I've skied in (still a newbie). I even pushed my limits into some steeper and ungroomed blue stuff. It felt great but man is it physically harder to turn in.

Also my 3 year old skied for the second time and loved it, she was going down the bunny hill without assistance by the end!

Anyway great end (?) to my first real living-near-good-skiing/owning-my-skis season for me. I'm too scared of avalanches to try my first backcountry trip in the spring, so unless I make the trip to Bachelor or Hood I'm done for the season.

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

alnilam posted:

We're getting tons of spring snow in the cascades right as a lot of the more local resorts are closing, but I went to Hoodoo for their last day yesterday and had a great time. Freshest and most powdery snow I've skied in (still a newbie). I even pushed my limits into some steeper and ungroomed blue stuff. It felt great but man is it physically harder to turn in.

Also my 3 year old skied for the second time and loved it, she was going down the bunny hill without assistance by the end!

Anyway great end (?) to my first real living-near-good-skiing/owning-my-skis season for me. I'm too scared of avalanches to try my first backcountry trip in the spring, so unless I make the trip to Bachelor or Hood I'm done for the season.

FWIW the spring is generally the most stable and predictable time to be in the back country. (in a very broad sense at least, obviously a lot of factors still to consider).

ante
Apr 9, 2005

SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS
But also there's no rush. Getting more confidence in bounds won't hurt

marjorie
May 4, 2014

So I finally got to get back out to enjoy the unusually prolific mid-April snow at Hood yesterday. And I think I solved both my muscle fatigue and my toe pain problems! I finally committed myself to a longer and steeper run, which gave me the opportunity to go faster than I've gone before and spend more time working through my turns. Basically I found that it's not so much I preferentially heel turn, it's that I preferentially do whatever kind of turn I instigate - if I heel turn and then need to cut back in the opposite direction, I'm more comfortable continuing the heel turn in switch, but the same is true for toe turns. So this means basically the whole way down I'm just using the same muscle set (and putting pressure on the same parts of my feet). And also the feeling of needing to brake during these turns causes me to exhaust myself - when I let myself pick up speed, it was way less intensive, even when I later braked\turned out of it, just everything was easier. So I think I'm going to be more successful at linking turns properly at speed, and that'll be my focus next time.

The route I took unfortunately had several sections of inclines, which I kept failing to enter with enough speed, so constantly having to unbuckle and slide up, then rebuckle, only to then slide into the deep powder just to the side and have to dig myself out because I wasn't positioned right was...less than fun. But the overall run was great and the views were incredible.

I think I made way more progress this season than last season, and I'm excited to hopefully get a couple more spring days in, then just go all out next year (a really late start to the season and some unexpected life events prevented me from using my pass to its fullest this year, so hoping to rectify next year).

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

spwrozek posted:

Eejit and I toured in insane gale force winds on sunday. Good times. Enjoyable skiing but man wind in the face. My dog was just cruising along...what's the problem guys?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzYZHWHDBlc

Yeah that looks like a basin on Sunday, too. Was pretty fun and drat good riding but felt and looked like Antarctica at the top of pali!

waffle enthusiast
Nov 16, 2007

Moment blemished skis on sale. Go get ‘em.

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi
My yearly reminder that Ikon doesn't care about all hEaLtHcArE hErOeS, only Nurses.

:mad:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Went to the shop today for some proper boots. Jesus Christ, what a difference in fit vs. those rentals.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What style of knee protector works the best for whenever my front facing edge of the snowboard grips accidentally when facing the downwards slope and throws me over forward? I'd prefer not loving up my knees on hard ground (indoor).

Varg
Jan 13, 2007

A friendly face.

Combat Pretzel posted:

What style of knee protector works the best for whenever my front facing edge of the snowboard grips accidentally when facing the downwards slope and throws me over forward? I'd prefer not loving up my knees on hard ground (indoor).

My brother wears the volleyball style kneepads just so he can kneel down comfortably but he swears by them. If you're eating poo poo over your toe edge then you may want elbow protectors as well lol

Macnult
Jul 7, 2013

Combat Pretzel posted:

i use g-form pads (both knee and elbow) when boarding. they also come in clutch for mountain biking

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

BD telekneesis are the gold standard for tele knee pads.

they move with you really well and can go on over base layers, which you may have trouble with if you use tight-fitting sleeve-style pads