Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

If theres an unrealistic ending it could go all the way through the 18th floor of the dungeon. If theres a satisfying ending it could be anywhere from floor 9 up as the last floor IMO.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

newts
Oct 10, 2012
I wrote a book that’s on KU! I feel it’s appropriate to post here because (1) it’s on KU, (2) it has sci-fi/fantasy elements, (3) it probably meets the ‘low-standards’ criteria expected in this thread.

The Night City is really a mystery/police procedural, but it’s set in an AU world with two species of humans, one of which is psychic. It’s pretty low-key, small stakes stuff. The kind of book I like to read. I had a lot of fun writing it. I know it’s not perfect but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Check it out if you want, I’d really appreciate it! I’m editing the sequel right now, based on my reviewers’ feedback, so that will also be on KU eventually.

Question Time
Sep 12, 2010

newts posted:

I wrote a book that’s on KU! I feel it’s appropriate to post here because (1) it’s on KU, (2) it has sci-fi/fantasy elements, (3) it probably meets the ‘low-standards’ criteria expected in this thread.

The Night City is really a mystery/police procedural, but it’s set in an AU world with two species of humans, one of which is psychic. It’s pretty low-key, small stakes stuff. The kind of book I like to read. I had a lot of fun writing it. I know it’s not perfect but I’m pretty happy with how it turned out. Check it out if you want, I’d really appreciate it! I’m editing the sequel right now, based on my reviewers’ feedback, so that will also be on KU eventually.

Starting it now, but it’s shaping up to be the best book I’ve read all year! That might be damning with faint praise, though, because I’ve read nothing but KU LitRPG trash so far. I’ll report back when done.

newts
Oct 10, 2012

Butt Discussin posted:

Starting it now, but it’s shaping up to be the best book I’ve read all year! That might be damning with faint praise, though, because I’ve read nothing but KU LitRPG trash so far. I’ll report back when done.

Aw, that’s awesome! Thanks so much for giving it a try. My goal is to float to the top of the trash pile :smuggo:

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Cradle kickstarter passed 500k! :woop:

Now we only need to repeat that feat, oh, fifty or sixty or more times to get within spitting distance of Branderson's kickstarter! EZ!

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Victorkm posted:

If theres an unrealistic ending it could go all the way through the 18th floor of the dungeon. If theres a satisfying ending it could be anywhere from floor 9 up as the last floor IMO.

Carl will keep passing floors as long as the books are making money, it's very meta.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Carl will keep passing floors as long as the books are making money, it's very meta.

Gotta disagree there. Dinniman doesn’t seem to love the eternal grind of most LitRPG. I think he has an end game and I think it’s probably in the next book or two. I also expect it to be gloriously nihilistic and I give better than even odds that Carl and Donut go out in a blaze of “middle finger to galactic society and dungeon culture” that upends the status quo even if they aren’t there to see it. Donut might live, but Carl is incredibly broken by his experiences and can’t “win” and go on to live a happy life in the very society that brutalized him, his friends, and his planet.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Oh hey, book 5 of Spells, Swords, and Stealth -- aka the NPC's series -- is coming out on the 30th: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TZCW4BZ

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

navyjack posted:

Gotta disagree there. Dinniman doesn’t seem to love the eternal grind of most LitRPG. I think he has an end game and I think it’s probably in the next book or two. I also expect it to be gloriously nihilistic and I give better than even odds that Carl and Donut go out in a blaze of “middle finger to galactic society and dungeon culture” that upends the status quo even if they aren’t there to see it. Donut might live, but Carl is incredibly broken by his experiences and can’t “win” and go on to live a happy life in the very society that brutalized him, his friends, and his planet.
I dropped out in the... the floor with the multiple sections and airships over a desert? Gnomes and shapeshifters?

But if I hear he sticks the landing, I'll definitely take a look.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Cicero posted:

Oh hey, book 5 of Spells, Swords, and Stealth -- aka the NPC's series -- is coming out on the 30th: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B09TZCW4BZ

Nice!
Drew Hayes is a really great writer and I am eager to see where this progresses now. But I guess I'll wait for the audiobook, because I listened to the other books too.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

90s Cringe Rock posted:

I dropped out in the... the floor with the multiple sections and airships over a desert? Gnomes and shapeshifters?

But if I hear he sticks the landing, I'll definitely take a look.

Thats just the book before this one. It had a loving banger of an ending.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I started reading DCC book 5 and... I seem to have already read it? At least the start - were there preview chapters released a while back or something? I have no memory of how I read it but I certainly seem to have.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Darkrenown posted:

I started reading DCC book 5 and... I seem to have already read it? At least the start - were there preview chapters released a while back or something? I have no memory of how I read it but I certainly seem to have.

Its released as a web serial before the author compiles it as books and releases there so you might have read it on Royal Road?

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
I did read dotf and hwfwm there, but I don't recall reading DCC there. Well I'll read on and see how much is familiar.

E: Turns out I've only read the first 10 chapters in the mysterious past, so I still have most of the book as new material :)

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Mar 19, 2022

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012

Zore posted:

Its released as a web serial before the author compiles it as books and releases there so you might have read it on Royal Road?

Is this still the case? I went looking after finishing book 5 (which was great) but I can only find a few sample chapters from book 1 on RR.

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
DCC book five finished up last month-ish. there was a long post about how the final 12 chapters or whatever were being dropped at once and then there was going to be a break before the next book.

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Darkrenown posted:

Is this still the case? I went looking after finishing book 5 (which was great) but I can only find a few sample chapters from book 1 on RR.

Nope. Kindle Unlimited demands exclusivity, so anything that gets moved there gets taken down everywhere else.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cradle kickstarter just finished: $760,326; 6,020 backers; $126.30 average per backer. A lot of money for number cultivation go up fantasy.

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Cicero posted:

Cradle kickstarter just finished: $760,326; 6,020 backers; $126.30 average per backer. A lot of money for number cultivation go up fantasy.

I'm real happy for him honestly. That's gotta feel good to know your books get that kind of support. Cradle is one of my favorite series and he definitely deserves it.

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Breaking down the visible numbers, it's reasonable but not overwhelmingly huge numbers.
For each of the three books, he's selling about 570 in paperback @ ~$13, 620 in hardback @ ~$23, and 4600 in fancy hardback @ ~$42.

Those prices are pretty normal for those kinds of formats, and the volumes aren't huge (presumably he's doing a bigger run in paperback/hardback for brick&mortar retail sales), but it's also guaranteed sales.

Good Citizen
Aug 12, 2008

trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump trump
A friend recommended DCC to me a couple weeks back and I read all 5 books in a straight shot and enjoyed every minute of it. What a fun ride.

I have never read a book in this genre before and I'm pretty sure I never want to read another one outside of this series. I think I'll just assume I've now read the best the genre has to offer and wait for book 6

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Cradle is decent (it gets better as the books go on) but the tone is very different.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Cradle is excellent but it plays progression fantasy straight. Someone who's particularly into DCC may not like something that's not as subversive/nihilistic imo.

Good Citizen posted:

I have never read a book in this genre before and I'm pretty sure I never want to read another one outside of this series. I think I'll just assume I've now read the best the genre has to offer and wait for book 6
Imo the best LitRPG is Worth the Candle but aside from both being dark and sorta horror-y they're quite different series. DCC is definitely very good even if it's not really to my taste.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Good Citizen posted:

A friend recommended DCC to me a couple weeks back and I read all 5 books in a straight shot and enjoyed every minute of it. What a fun ride.

I was big on recommending the same author's other series, "Dominion of Blades" back before DCC became a thing. Only 2 books so far since he's been consumed with DCC, but they were really interesting reads with a lot of comedy and horror. Dinnaman says he is planning on finishing the series once he is done with Carl.

As for other series...hmm. Maybe the Dungeon Lord series by Hugo Huesca. Those seem to be semi popular here. Only problem with that one is that the author has some mental health issues going on that have held back the latest volume for a long time.

I'm partial to the Troll Dungeon series by James A Hunter and Eden Hudson as well. It centers on a man from a fantasy world rebelling against a ruling tyrant. He uses a portal spell which somehow brings him into an earth VRMMORPG as a level 1 monster in a newbie dungeon.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
I read book 2 of Full Murderhobo and I'm still enjoying it. Objectively it's not great, but I just like the concept of "bad tutorial coding becomes decades of violent death."

I also read the first 2 The Menocht Loop books, and while they are well-written and I enjoyed them they don't really seem like progression fantasy despite being called "The Menocht Loop: A Progression Fantasy Epic". It's weird because it starts after the loop is almost solved so all the the PC's progression happened already and he is now the most powerful dude in the world. He then spends two books not really doing anything besides complaining about things and hanging out and sorta asexually flirting with his friend. Book 2 is worse because even less happens and a lot of time is spent wondering "is the protag an Ascendant???" But the book is called "The False Ascendant" so we already know the answer is "yes, but weird." We also never learn anything about why he's a false one, just that he is. Protagonist also easily wins a competition which will allow him access to "Rifts", but the book ends before we see any results. It seems like we should have seen some rift stuff or learned a bit about Ascendancy, or this could all have been tacked onto book 1. I know this was also a web serial, so I think the problem is this was just not a great way to group the chapters into books. Hopefully Book 3 is better and some actual progression starts happening.

Darkrenown fucked around with this message at 13:05 on Apr 1, 2022

ACValiant
Sep 7, 2005

Huh...? Oh, this? Nah, don't worry. Just in the middle of some messy business.

Darkrenown posted:

I read book 2 of Full Murderhobo and I'm still enjoying it. Objectively it's not great, but I just like the concept of "bad tutorial coding becomes decades of violent death."

I also read the first 2 The Menocht Loop books, and while they are well-written and I enjoyed them they don't really seem like progression fantasy despite being called "The Menocht Loop: A Progression Fantasy Epic". It's weird because it starts after the loop is almost solved so all the the PC's progression happened already and he is now the most powerful dude in the world. He then spends two books not really doing anything besides complaining about things and hanging out and sorta asexually flirting with his friend. Book 2 is worse because even less happens and a lot of time is spent wondering "is the protag an Ascendant???" But the book is called "The False Ascendant" so we already know the answer is "yes, but weird." We also never learn anything about why he's a false one, just that he is. Protagonist also easily wins a competition which will allow him access to "Rifts", but the book ends before we see any results. It seems like we should have seen some rift stuff or learned a bit about Ascendancy, or this could all have been tacked onto book 1. I know this was also a web serial, so I think the problem is this was just not a great way to group the chapters into books. Hopefully Book 3 is better and some actual progression starts happening.

Woof, The Menocht Loop sounds real bad from your spoiler. Definitely going to pass on that one.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness
Was Menocht Loop the one where the protagonist became a necromancer of a sort that society mostly frowns on because his time loop started with him starving to death on a boat crewed entirely by skeletons?

cause if so yeah I remember it really not holding up to what could have been an interesting prospect (the timeloop had like six "layers" and if he messed up the exit conditions on any of them he went back to the start of layer one, dehydrated on death skeleton boat in the middle of the ocean, but then oops all better all out ok most powerful dude in world let's go plot that nobody cares about)

cultureulterior
Jan 27, 2004
Yeah, I stopped reading that just after he got out. It immediately became much less interesting

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009
I read the first 2.5 I think but dropped in the middle of book 3. The time loop of the first book was interesting but the “real world” stuff of the later books was much weaker.

Telsa Cola
Aug 19, 2011

No... this is all wrong... this whole operation has just gone completely sidewaysface
I liked Murderhobo because yeah bad tutorial coding leads one of the protagonists to basically become a 40k space marine.

It also actually plays with the whole thing that a whole lot of these books just ignore which is constant combat and or abrupt shifts into a hyper violent lifestyle gently caress you up mentally.

Telsa Cola fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Apr 1, 2022

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Silynt posted:

I read the first 2.5 I think but dropped in the middle of book 3. The time loop of the first book was interesting but the “real world” stuff of the later books was much weaker.
I'm still reading it out of inertia and I would kill for more real world stuff.

Probably not sticking with it, but it's inoffensive enough that I never feel like the multiple button presses required to unsubscribe.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

Telsa Cola posted:

I liked Murderhobo because yeah bad tutorial coding leads one of the protagonists to basically become a 40k space marine.

It also actually plays with the whole thing that a whole lot of these books just ignore which is constant combat and or abrupt shifts into a hyper violent lifestyle gently caress you up mentally.

I thought the previews of what was coming next for the MCs were promising as well in "Anything." And the full reveal of what The Bard was doing in the frame story was cool too.

platero
Sep 11, 2001

spooky, but polite, a-hole

Pillbug

Victorkm posted:

I thought the previews of what was coming next for the MCs were promising as well in "Anything." And the full reveal of what The Bard was doing in the frame story was cool too.

The bard's big adventure caught me off guard and I liked it.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
what's wrong with this thread that it keeps getting the last 3 posted marked as unread over and over lol.

e: ok apparently it works on my phone browser. good poo poo.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006
I read Bastion, by Phil Tucker. I liked it quite a bit. Because it's about people who reincarnate when they die so they can keep fighting hell, I thought it was gonna be a time loop (?) type thing, but it's not, that's just part of the setting.

LLSix posted:

Nope. Kindle Unlimited demands exclusivity, so anything that gets moved there gets taken down everywhere else.

He will put up chapters of the book he's working on, delayed weeks-to-months from them going up on patreon. When everything gets packaged for amazon, it all gets taken down and then he starts over with the next book.

navyjack posted:

He's already said on the patreon that book 6 might(!) spend some time on the next floor, rather than just being one-book-per-floor like he's been doing since book 2. So things are definitely accelerating toward a conclusion. It seems like there's too many plot hooks tying into floor 12 for it to end before that, but afterwards, who can say?

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
Didn't they just say (last book ending spoilers) skip a floor too because of Preopotente?

Yngwie Mangosteen fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Apr 9, 2022

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

Back in book 1 of DCC they said people never make it past (or maybe to) level 12. So they sell tickets to rich people to live on floors 12+ while the dungeon is running and commit all the heinous crimes they want because normal laws are suspended in the dungeon. Or something like that, it’s been awhile.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

For some reason I think their TV host friend made it to 13? Could be mistaken though. Really most of the plot hooks right now are dead set on 9 so I'd assume that level will have to happen unless Carl somehow blows it up and kills everyone at once.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
10 is where most of the best crawlers tap out, 13 is the record, 15-18 is the big party I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

PerniciousKnid posted:

10 is where most of the best crawlers tap out, 13 is the record, 15-18 is the big party I think.

18 is the hedonistic party floor for the rich and connected. It's unclear what role if any tourists have on floor 15, but that should be the only other one in that range that might have external people. 10 is such a common place for people to bow out that the people who take the deal are called "tenners," though the vast majority of crawlers are dead before that floor. "A lot" of crawls end on floor 9, the first floor that's possible, and it normally seems to have an absolutely abysmal survival rate even if it doesn't lead to an "extinction."

Victorkm posted:

For some reason I think their TV host friend made it to 13? Could be mistaken though. Really most of the plot hooks right now are dead set on 9 so I'd assume that level will have to happen unless Carl somehow blows it up and kills everyone at once.

Odette took her deal in front of the stairs to 13. It's unclear if she beat the extremely powerful guardian or not beforehand or not, but she didn't go down. Most of the hooks right now are built around 9, but 12 is slowly getting built up in the background, and a surprising amount of stuff has been said about 15.