Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Why do you read this thread anyway?
This poll is closed.
I enjoy reading contemporary newspaper comics. 64 26.02%
I hate reading contemporary newspaper comics. 42 17.07%
I enjoy reading historical newspaper comics. 88 35.77%
I enjoy reading newspaper comics from foreign countries. 52 21.14%
Total: 246 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom
"Maybe I won't ever die, Mozz. Did you think of that? Maybe I'll live forever and no one will ever need to take my place. I haven't died even once yet, so my track record is pretty good."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Vargo posted:

For years my big complaint about James Allen's run was that he is a climate-change denier, and environmental strip Mark Trail should be handled by someone who cares about the environment.

That monkey's paw finger has certainly curled.

Don't be blinded by nostalgia, James Allen was also very bad at art and storytelling.

EasyEW posted:

Our Boarding House

Toonerville Folks (December 16-18, 1918)

I like the look of OBH. Is this the calarts style? And I really think smiling Eppie Hog is a wonderful face.

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Oh god, bitcoin is continuing to spread in the funny pages. There's still a prize for the first cartoonist who demonstrates that they understand it though.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

davidspackage posted:

edit: there's a comic panel of Daisy Duck crying and posing dramatically while a book titled "dramatic poses" is open on like a lectern in front of her, I wish I could find it cause I think of it every time Toby melts down over dumb poo poo.

Might get some use out of this one

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mr. Squishy posted:

Oh god, bitcoin is continuing to spread in the funny pages. There's still a prize for the first cartoonist who demonstrates that they understand it though.

I dunno, that Heathcliff come pretty close as it is.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hel posted:

A+J once again showing an excellent understanding of people, because that's my dad, though nowadays with Google maps rather than physical ones. Because even if technology changes people don't.

I like to use google maps and just plonk down in remote areas with the google road view mode or whatever it's called.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Intelligent Life

Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Macanudo

Dark Side of the Horse

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Ghostlight posted:

Fun Lottie fact: lemons and most limes originated as hybrids of a type of orange.

I AM THE ULTIMATE DINOSAUR

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Rhymes with Orange

Get Fuzzy 4/7/02

Brenda Starr 7/4/48

Smokey Stover 3/16/47

Everyday Movies 1/9/35

"He's better now, nurse. He's beginning to eat now, just when there's nothing around to eat."

Yvonmukluk
Oct 10, 2012

Everything is Sinister

Bad Machinery

Zamboni Rodeo
Jul 19, 2007

NEVER play "Lady of Spain" AGAIN!

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Vintage Valiant (Aug. 27, 1950)

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Yvonmukluk posted:

Bad Machinery

Beavergeddon might be a good game to play

BigglesSWE
Dec 2, 2014

How 'bout them hawks news huh!

Slammy posted:

Up Front March 12, 1945

Love this one. Up Front is so good you guys.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
A+J

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
Jucika "140 - Jucika And The Fair Inspector"

"141 - Jucika Loves Autumn"

The_Other
Dec 28, 2012

Welcome Back, Galaxy Geek.
Solver Spring Special

John Allison's Patreon John Allison's Gumroad store
Forward Slash Scare website for Allison's side comics

John Allison posted:

I named Lottie’s friend “Fizz” in tribute to a character from Eldorado, the BBC’s doomed early Nineties soap opera. Today, let’s dedicate a moment (40 seconds) to thinking about Eldorado, Fizz, and her new husband, Bunny.

Also, from Allison's Instagram, some more Lottie pictures;

John Allison posted:

One day when I’m feeling weak and unguarded, I’ll tell you about an unused Wicked Things story called WOBBLY HEAD

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Doomykins posted:

Jucika "140 - Jucika And The Fair Inspector"

Love the guy holding onto the panel border.

The Family Circus

Bizarro

FoxTrot

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

Murdstone posted:

I was thinking this exact same thing as I was posting it. The entire premise makes zero sense and I can only assume she just wanted to shove "NFTs are BAD" into Mark Trail. She's barely giving a reason even why they are bad beyond they vaguely use more energy. If this is an attempt to inform readers of the downsides of NFTs—which I think could be valuable—she's doing a poor job of it.

Similarly to with zebra mussels (where the problem is ballast water, not hull hitchhikers) Rivera seems not to have bothered to actually research the subject she's bringing up. Proof-of-work blockchains do indeed use obscene amounts of energy, but other protocols like proof-of-stake use literally orders of magnitude less and NFTs on those are not an ecological issue. I think Solana, which is proof-of-stake, is the leading host for NFTs. Etherium, which *is* proof-of-work, is second, but planning to transition to proof-of-stake. The ultra-piggish Bitcoin blockchain, which is the one restarting coal mines, can't do NFTs at all. So the whole issue Rivera is ranting about is on the way out.

NFTs are still a Ponzi issue, and most current NFTs are objectively useless, but Rivera isn't discussing those real issues.

Now an interesting story would be that Cricket Bro's been faking his sales and is now trying to spin up a fake buyer fraud in NFTs to embezzle the money he needs. But Rivera apparently isn't the one to write it.

Nostalgamus
Sep 28, 2010

Storm P

curtadams
Mar 24, 2019

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

In case you haven't been keeping score, this is the third time travel story since the post-Lisa time jump.
According to the Wiki, after the second timeskip to 2017, the main characters in Funky are 46. So in this flashback they should be in elementary school.

We shall see if Batuik can keep his timing straight. My bet is "no". Any takers?

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

curtadams posted:

According to the Wiki, after the second timeskip to 2017, the main characters in Funky are 46. So in this flashback they should be in elementary school.

We shall see if Batuik can keep his timing straight. My bet is "no". Any takers?

I'd place a wager that Les will win another award if the line were right.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Docks

Retail

Popcom

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

I know the whole conceit of this strip is that customers say the darnedest things, but why on earth would they honour some other shop's coupons?

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Mr. Squishy posted:

I know the whole conceit of this strip is that customers say the darnedest things, but why on earth would they honour some other shop's coupons?

Some retailers do. It isn't the norm, but yeah, it's a common enough thing that checkout people wouldn't be surprised by the question.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Vater und Sohn: The big inheritance (10/1937)

One door closes, by way of a fradulently sold whale destroying Vater und Sohn's house, but another opens.

For historic reasons it's quite hard to work out exactly what two million Reichsmark would be worth today. As best as I can work it out, it equates to about $500,000. Which is maybe not the set-for-life sum you'd picture inheriting, but does catapult a middle-ish class family of two into a higher tax bracket pretty solidly.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Some retailers do. It isn't the norm, but yeah, it's a common enough thing that checkout people wouldn't be surprised by the question.

Well I'll be!

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Mr. Squishy posted:

It's a pretty standard competitive practice

As is retailers putting out specials on stuff they know they're out of in order to hurt their competitors who will be forced to honor the sale

Lol capitalism

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Mr. Squishy posted:

Don't be blinded by nostalgia, James Allen was also very bad at art and storytelling.
I remember how excited this thread got when James Allen took over because he started strong by having Mark do more action. Then he put Mark in a cave for over a year.
:lol:

curtadams posted:

NFTs are still a Ponzi issue, and most current NFTs are objectively useless, but Rivera isn't discussing those real issues.

Now an interesting story would be that Cricket Bro's been faking his sales and is now trying to spin up a fake buyer fraud in NFTs to embezzle the money he needs. But Rivera apparently isn't the one to write it.
Yeah this is the angle on NFTs I think she should be concentrating on, too.
These are both great!

F Minus

Mark Trail

Mary Worth

I do so love the MW dream sequences from Brigman. :allears:

The Phantom

Wait this isn't about his son being sent off it's about freeing Savarna, right? Has this gotten so convoluted that they forgot?

Pooch Cafe

Rex Morgan MD

Wow! That was quite a week of Rex Morgan huh? Introduced a new character named...I forget, but he had a...mild pain in his shoulder well OK.

Andertoons

Apartment 3-G

:stare:

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
Breaking Cat News

Phoebe and Her Unicorn

Wallace the Brave

Heart of the City

I like how the auditorium is realistically empty for this event.

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Murdstone posted:

The Phantom

Wait this isn't about his son being sent off it's about freeing Savarna, right? Has this gotten so convoluted that they forgot?

Well I guess one connects to the other: if Kit wasn't away, Savarna wouldn't have gone there, gotten revenge, brought in the planes, etc etc etc

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
Into Ilves

Nancy

Dustin

Mandrake

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

Murdstone posted:

Mary Worth

I do so love the MW dream sequences from Brigman. :allears:
They know we can't stay mad at it when it does this. :allears:

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Well, if you're a teacher of 13-year-old males, it's kind of your job to at least try.

Luann, you were the one who was bent over crying all over your kitchen table, but okay.

Transmodiar
Jul 9, 2005

You're a terrible person, Mildred.
Modesty Blaise: Mister Sun

Professor Wayne
Aug 27, 2008

So, Harvey, what became of the giant penny?

They actually let him keep it.
Pickles

Zits

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Murdstone posted:

Mark Trail

Forget NFTs, let's talk about that colossal bear in panel 1!

Drimble Wedge
Mar 10, 2008

Self-contained

Scary Gary

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

riderchop posted:

Heathcliff

Comic Strips 2022: I might be more tempted if I understood what bitcoin was.

Giant Ethicist
Jun 9, 2013

Looks like she got on a loaf of bread instead of a bus again...
Haraiso Days

Night Visitors

Monya the Grey

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vox Valentine
May 31, 2013

Solving all of life's problems through enhanced casting of Occam's Razor. Reward yourself with an imaginary chalice.

K&K