Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

You're starting off season 2 in an interesting place.

You've got two people in Lumons's control with Helly and Dylan, and two with Irv and Mark.

You are now in a situation where you could see them never letting Helly R back out - what purpose would she have working there when she is an Egan. I could see us never seeing Helly for most of season 2 and she becomes the main antagonist of the next season as Helena Egan. Dylan you could see them holding and getting some kind of punishment... but considering he does have a real family outside, would Lumon just hold him forever? Hard to say.

With Mark and Irv, you have them outside with the full knowledge of what Lumon is doing. Like they both come up with a plan to go back to work with the goal of getting down to the Testing room and freeing Gemma/Miss Casey and anyone else down there, because Irv is the mole working to get people out.

I also like how this entire episode does not explain at all what their job actually does. I still insist that they never need to explain it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.
I wonder if we’ll see the MDR team get split up next season. Dylan and Helly are pretty much hosed - both of them are likely going to be sent to that lower level where their innies will be tortured and mindwiped or whatever. Outie Mark isn’t going back to Lumon once his sister loops him in on everything, though I’m sure he’ll want to do something once he finds out Gemma is alive. Irving is the wildcard - unless his innie wrote his outie a note off-screen, he’s going to wake up in his car wondering WTF happened. Since he’s an anti-Lumon mole though, he’s probably savvy enough to know something big has happened and to lay low.

My guess? Outie Irving is part of the same anti-severance cell as the lady outie Mark met and they’ll meet up next season through her.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

Irving being so gung-ho for Lumen while his outie was dedicated to uncovering its secrets was a lovely touch. Especially given how Irving himself had turned the corner and grown to hate the place himself by the end.

This will come as a shock to you all, but John Turturro is a really good actor! There was so much going on without any dialogue as he explored his outie's home, the dog, looked at the picture of his dad, the wonder and shock as he realized he instinctively knew how to drive, the sadness mixed with happiness that Burt has somebody in the non-severed world etc.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

ChadSexington posted:

I wonder if we’ll see the MDR team get split up next season. Dylan and Helly are pretty much hosed - both of them are likely going to be sent to that lower level where their innies will be tortured and mindwiped or whatever. Outie Mark isn’t going back to Lumon once his sister loops him in on everything, though I’m sure he’ll want to do something once he finds out Gemma is alive. Irving is the wildcard - unless his innie wrote his outie a note off-screen, he’s going to wake up in his car wondering WTF happened. Since he’s an anti-Lumon mole though, he’s probably savvy enough to know something big has happened and to lay low.

My guess? Outie Irving is part of the same anti-severance cell as the lady outie Mark met and they’ll meet up next season through her.

Helena can just never return to the severed area and effectively 'kill' Helly, that's far more likely to be her punishment than anything that could potentially gently caress up Helena's life further. She matters, it's the other people who are going to get hosed with.

I bet, instead, as someone mentioned, she will be a villain and it'll be Innie!Mark that wants to reintegrate her or save Helly from Helena

blue squares
Sep 28, 2007

eke out posted:

Helena can just never return to the severed area and effectively 'kill' Helly, that's far more likely to be her punishment than anything that could potentially gently caress up Helena's life further. She matters, it's the other people who are going to get hosed with.

I bet, instead, as someone mentioned, she will be a villain and it'll be Innie!Mark that wants to reintegrate her or save Helly from Helena

Yeah we are not seeing Helly again for a long time

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
At least the mystery of why Milchick was taking so many pictures was resolved.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“I just want to remember my son being born!”

:smith:

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Mahoning posted:

Yeah but think about that sweet coffee koozie.

ChadSexington
Aug 12, 2004
I am so not competitive. In fact, I am the least non-competitive. So I win.

eke out posted:

Helly already tried to kill herself two times this season - the first when she tried to resign, and the second in quite literal fashion. Wouldn’t Helena just never returning to the severed area be giving Helly exactly what she wanted from day one? It seems way more hosed up to keep Helly “alive” and tortured (like Cobel mentioned) and I think Helena is psycho enough to do it. Also I just think “killing” Helly would be a waste of a great character.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

imo Helena has a real life and a real job to do, this whole stunt was part of a political campaign by the company, I don't think she's going to keep committing like 1/3 of her life to it regardless of the threats she made (which she made while she was still trying to complete the project, that's now over with).

tbh one of the big open questions for me is why everyone was so desperately invested in Helly finishing her quarterly work on time, it doesn't seem to have any relation to the events of the finale or seem to be anything anyone on the outside cares about.

but I guess we still don't actually know what the gently caress MDR does, and it doesn't appear that they are just guinea pigs in a social experiment, so maybe whatever it is does matter but just remains a secret from us

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 8, 2022

Propaniac
Nov 28, 2000

SUSHI ROULETTO!
College Slice
Sepinwall's got an interview up with Ben Stiller: https://www.rollingstone.com/tv/tv-features/severance-finale-ben-stiller-interview-1330692/

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
My guess is that Lumen will have to go into damage control mode and convince Helena that she has to continue the experiment to prove that Severance is in fact safe.

My big question is, since this all seems to be part of Lumen’s plan, with Helena being severed as a PR move, they needed an open spot in MDR. Did the board gently caress with Petey to force him out to make room for Helly?

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

eke out posted:

tbh one of the big open questions for me is why everyone was so desperately invested in Helly finishing her quarterly work on time, it doesn't seem to have any relation to the events of the finale or seem to be anything anyone on the outside cares about.

What do you mean by “everyone”? Do you mean her coworkers or like Milchick and Cobel?

The coworkers answer is easy, #1 that’s their entire purpose in life, but #2 if everyone finishes the file before the end of the quarter, one of them gets named refiner of the quarter and gets a waffle party. If everyone doesn’t complete their file, no refiner of the quarter, no waffle party.

The answer for Cobel and Milchick (and the board frankly) seems relatively obvious too. It was good PR if Helly got the hang of it and simply became a good little worker bee. It meant that despite the few (very large) set backs with Helly, that Severance had worked and she was now doing her job and doing it well and on time.

Mahoning fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2022

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Ben Stiller posted:

Any idea when you may be going into production on Season Two?
The hope is that we would get into production by the end of the year.

And if you do that, would the show be able to be back in 2023?
Possibly, possibly, yeah.

It better be back in 2023, or you're going to the breakroom!

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Son of a Vondruke! posted:

Anyone notice there was some sort of tubing as part of Harmony's creepy shrine. When she was destroying the shrine you could see a nametag on it. It said Cobel, Charlotte and listed a DOB of 3-17-44. Has that shown up before? That's gotta be something important.

I took this to mean that "Cobel" is dead or braindead, and Selivige/the Cobel who works on the severed floor is a full time innie, that has been brought back to life through the severance process - could explain why she's so invested in Mark + Gemma's relationship. I'd assumed she was trying to see if Mark's feelings for Gemma could transcend severance, but maybe she's more invested in seeing if Gemma's feelings for Mark can transcend (brain?) death.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Mahoning posted:

The answer for Cobel and Milchick (and the board frankly) seems relatively obvious too. It was good PR if Helly got the hang of it and simply became a good little worker bee. It meant that despite the few (very large) set backs with Helly, that Severance had worked and she was now doing her job and doing it well and on time.

nah I disagree, in terms of PR they don't give a poo poo about her actual performance or anything at all her Innie did, their entire ad campaign was based around ignoring the reality of what was happening to her and was exclusively personal, never even touching on the work they did.

if anything, the self-interested reason would just be that Cobel and Milchick had hugely hosed all this up and maybe their personal problems would go away if they could show that Helly was finally back working

regardless, the powers that be running Lumon are well aware they're keeping slaves via torture, the question of what the gently caress macrodata refining is and how it relates to their other in-universe media where it was used for corporate espionage/murder remains looming

eke out fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Apr 8, 2022

broken sm57
Apr 5, 2015

Kreeblah posted:

Are there any theories out there about the refiners being selected in part due to affinities for one of the tempers? It seems way too coincidental (and Lumon way too cultish) for there to be both four refiners and four tempers. If that's a thing they're doing, here's my guess:

Mark: Woe (grief over the loss of his wife)
Dylan: Frolic (way too enthused about rewards)
Irving: Dread (absolutely terrified of everything)
Haley: Malice (some sort of ulterior motive)

I think this makes sense + Irving's black paint = black bile = phlegmatic temperament which is the humor that maps most closely to Dread

Kreeblah
May 17, 2004

INSERT QUACK TO CONTINUE

Taco Defender

eke out posted:

This is my guess. I bet they can just turn off her chip so that she can't swap over to Helly, and it wouldn't surprise me if they sent Helena down to the severed floor as a Lumon executive to torture the other characters.

Edit: Actually, maybe they do that, and then occasionally turn Helly on for the purpose of showing Helena torturing everybody else, in order to try to force her to cooperate.

Kreeblah fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Apr 8, 2022

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Mahoning posted:

The line delivery on that and Adam Scott's final line "She's alive!" both gave me chills.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

Pretty disappointed they didn't take the setup of Mark not having a copy of the book to let him go up and say 'no problem, I have it memorized' and just belt it out, to really get across to Ricken that Mark actually meant what he said.

Also it would have been hilarious having Mark say some nonsense self-help crap as a true believer, smiling beatifically.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

GoutPatrol posted:

Dylan you could see them holding and getting some kind of punishment... but considering he does have a real family outside, would Lumon just hold him forever? Hard to say.
Why would they? They could just fire him and he's gone forever. If they don't think it's worth going through whatever processes they have to enforce compliance and/or reset him.

ChadSexington posted:

Helly already tried to kill herself two times this season - the first when she tried to resign, and the second in quite literal fashion. Wouldn’t Helena just never returning to the severed area be giving Helly exactly what she wanted from day one? It seems way more hosed up to keep Helly “alive” and tortured (like Cobel mentioned) and I think Helena is psycho enough to do it. Also I just think “killing” Helly would be a waste of a great character.
What's the benefit to Helena in torturing Helly? It's just a waste of her own time.

Mahoning posted:

My guess is that Lumen will have to go into damage control mode and convince Helena that she has to continue the experiment to prove that Severance is in fact safe.
Seems more likely to me that she'd be kept as far away from the company, the severance program, and the public eye as possible. Whether it was her fault or not, she'll be stained with failure and seen as a liability no matter what she does. Which could be a good position to put her in to throw a spanner in the works next season.

Mahoning posted:

My big question is, since this all seems to be part of Lumen’s plan, with Helena being severed as a PR move, they needed an open spot in MDR. Did the board gently caress with Petey to force him out to make room for Helly?
Could just be happenstance. If there'd been no spot available in MDR she'd have been assigned elsewhere.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

blue squares posted:

Why bother watching tv shows, just read the episode summary afterward and you get all the plot points

I guess I expected at least one of the three characters to have a plan and stick to it. They're all fighting for their lives and would have had ample time to think of what to do first, what to say, etc.

But no, all three of them spend an absolutely disgusting amount of time staring with doe eyes. Five, ten minutes is not what I would call disgusting, but twenty is. Twenty minutes of knowing their friend is putting it on all the line for them, sweating two switches and still they all go "oooooooooh" at everything. "Ooooh lets listen to this book reading." "Ooooooh lets make party small talk." "Oooooooooh lets go visit my work-boyfriend."

I'm rooting for these characters, and during tense moments like these I guess I hope to see competency represent at least a small minority among them, instead of of not being represented at all.

When you think about it the reason they did anything meaningful at all is pure luck. The only reason Helly manages to speak is because she was asked to speak. If she wasn't a key speaker, would she just keep making doe eyes until the end? Ricken cuts his reading short because his voice is burgin'. Would Mark have just sat there listening like a loving idiot the whole night? And it sure is swell that Burt lived close enough to reach before getting switched back, because I'm just assuming Irving would still try to get to him even if he lived 2 states over.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

sure okay posted:

I guess I expected at least one of the three characters to have a plan and stick to it. They're all fighting for their lives and would have had ample time to think of what to do first, what to say, etc.

But no, all three of them spend an absolutely disgusting amount of time staring with doe eyes. Five, ten minutes is not what I would call disgusting, but twenty is. Twenty minutes of knowing their friend is putting it on all the line for them, sweating two switches and still they all go "oooooooooh" at everything. "Ooooh lets listen to this book reading." "Ooooooh lets make party small talk." "Oooooooooh lets go visit my work-boyfriend."

I'm rooting for these characters, and during tense moments like these I guess I hope to see competency represent at least a small minority among them, instead of of not being represented at all.

When you think about it the reason they did anything meaningful at all is pure luck. The only reason Helly manages to speak is because she was asked to speak. If she wasn't a key speaker, would she just keep making doe eyes until the end? Ricken cuts his reading short because his voice is burgin'. Would Mark have just sat there listening like a loving idiot the whole night? And it sure is swell that Burt lived close enough to reach before getting switched back, because I'm just assuming Irving would still try to get to him even if he lived 2 states over.

The stated plan was to find someone they trusted to talk to. Helly wakes up to find herself in the Lumon building, Irving is completely alone and spends most of his time hunting through his stuff and Mark wakes up being hugged by Cobel. None of them had anyone around to talk to, Mark didn't even know he was in his sister's house. It took ages to get to the plan because they all needed to figure out where the hell they were and who they were with. Arguably Mark was best placed for that since he had 2 people he recognised, Cobel and Ricken and he drat sure knew he couldn't trust one of those.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

sure okay posted:

"Oooooooooh lets go visit my work-boyfriend."

There are good reasons for both Mark and Helly to remain passive and under the radar, and the episode makes it pretty clear why they make the choice to bide their time. But Irving, Burt's not his work boyfriend. It's his only boyfriend, his first and possibly only love -- who just, for all intents and purposes, died a few days ago. Man's not certain he's getting another crack at this, there's no one around for him to contact like the plan was to be, so honestly this makes a lot of sense.

The severed workers are children, after all, with short, short lives. I completely understand why they acted the way they acted.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

sure okay posted:

I guess I expected at least one of the three characters to have a plan and stick to it.
How could they have had a plan? None of them knew where they'd be, who they'd be, or who they could talk to.

sure okay posted:

Helly and Mark found themselves at crowded events, which had to have been a surprise. They had to lay low for long enough to figure out what was going on and who to talk to. If Helly hadn't found out she was scheduled to speak, she'd have done something different. Mark made more than one attempt to talk to people before he finally got the opportunity to talk to his sister alone. Irving woke up alone, and immediately set to finding stuff out. What would you have had him do? Walk down the street until he found a random person? In the absence of any other information, Burt does seem like a somewhat reasonable person to approach. And he clearly checked the distance before he set out.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Did anyone else think that our boy Dylan was about to get shiv'd when Milchick pulled out that knife?

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Hughmoris posted:

Did anyone else think that our boy Dylan was about to get shiv'd when Milchick pulled out that knife?

Yeah, that or Dylan was gonna brain Milchick with the friendship cube.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

sure okay posted:

They did have a plan, but you gotta remember for all intents and purposes these people are newborns. There's a lot of sensory overload for Helly, the first thing Mark sees is Cobel giving him a freaking HUG, and Irving is thrown right in the middle of a secret operation. There's no way they could have prepared for this. They've essentially lived their entire lives in a series of white rooms doing the same thing over and over. They have no experience to draw on.

Do I wish more happened? Yes and no. But it makes sense that they get overwhelmed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Open Source Idiom posted:

That would be the BDE (Bludgeon Death Experience).

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Yeah I was kinda hoping for a break in overtime where Dylan knocks him out then sets it back up again. But that would be too happy an ending, of course.

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
“How’s…our baby?” was such a hilarious line reading.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

sure okay posted:

I agree that was frustrating from a viewer's perspective because we know better the urgency of the situation, especially after Cobel called Milchick, but for example Mark told his sister he might have another hour after he revealed everything. The writers could have completely blue-balled us, but we got enough and it was the right amount from a storytelling perspective.

Mark asking his sister in the kitchen if they're close was the best depiction of them trying to find someone trustworthy. The circumstances of where they woke up was unlucky. I think they did a good job showing incidental but reasonable things getting in the way of Mark trying to tell his sister. We did some payoff, I'd argue just enough.

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

I understand your points, but specifically

Mark sitting politely for a book reading, especially after identifying his sister as someone he could trust and also knows he's severed. He could've insisted to talk to her but instead did a decorum. While accurate for his character, it is still extremely frustrating. We want to see him rise above his meek traits, not wallow in them during a very important time.

Irving, for his outie seeming so intent taking down Lumon, has the most selfish innie of all. It's easy to argue his actions had the least impact of the 3, and it's just as easy to argue his outie could make a full on loving list of things he'd want his innie to do if he ever got out. His innie let his outie down massively. The opposite of heroic.

Helly is perhaps the angriest of all among them, and the most confident. Of all of them I expected to do the most disruption, and she did. But standing there making small talk to that senator, or waiting patiently to be called on stage by the opening act, was infuriating. The shock has worn off at that point and still she's doing decorum poo poo.

I mean these sound like nitpicks, but their plan came down to literal minutes. And they only accomplished anything in the very last seconds, which is something I and others knew the writers would probably do but hoped they wouldn't.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
Helly staying on the DL until she had the entire room, including reporters, cameramen, people who needed convincing, whomever, staring at her was absolutely the smartest possible play IMO.

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

I did feel a bit of a twinge of "cmon this is pretty amateurish writing" when they kept having random things interrupt Mark from talking to someone. They did it like six times.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Interrupting the first photo reveal was forgivable, but if they did it again with the second I would’ve been super mad.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Helly staying on the DL until she had the entire room, including reporters, cameramen, people who needed convincing, whomever, staring at her was absolutely the smartest possible play IMO.

Absolutely. Girl has her eye on the prize.

And in retrospect, I'm kinda glad nothing really got resolved, but they definitely moved things forward in a big way. It made it feel like the writers and showrunner have an actual plan and how they want to execute it. I think a second season will be just enough. There's a lot of directions the story could take at this point and I'm incredibly excited to see where they go

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

sure okay posted:

Irving, for his outie seeming so intent taking down Lumon, has the most selfish innie of all. It's easy to argue his actions had the least impact of the 3, and it's just as easy to argue his outie could make a full on loving list of things he'd want his innie to do if he ever got out. His innie let his outie down massively. The opposite of heroic.

They agreed on the inside to find someone they trust. Irving had no one in his life, no one at his home, the only person he could think of who he trusted was Burt. There was literally no one else. Sure, he probably had the addresses for Mark and Dylan, but he knows Dylan is still at Lumen, and finding Mark wouldn’t really make much of a difference.

Also, Burt’s husband looked like sportswriter Peter King, lol

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

broken sm57 posted:

I took this to mean that "Cobel" is dead or braindead, and Selivige/the Cobel who works on the severed floor is a full time innie, that has been brought back to life through the severance process - could explain why she's so invested in Mark + Gemma's relationship. I'd assumed she was trying to see if Mark's feelings for Gemma could transcend severance, but maybe she's more invested in seeing if Gemma's feelings for Mark can transcend (brain?) death.

I think you are correct and I wouldn't be surprised if most of the management level people are like this (Millichik and the security dude). You'd need extra fanatic people for those roles and that situation would certainly produce them.

This loving show. Jesus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annabel Pee
Dec 29, 2008
I really expected Burt to have a wife on the outside. I think it would have been interesting to reveal an instance of the Severance allowing someone to be more of their true life than in the real world, free of any prejudices, and maybe seeing how Irving coped with a Burt who seemed happy but maybe was hiding his true self.