Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Tomn posted:

Say, question. Say you're this infantryman. You're wandering around alone in the wild without your gun for whatever reason when you spot a drone, and you're certain that it spotted you and is following you. What should you be doing instead of running back to your base and letting the enemy know where your guys are? Sit around and wait until it gets bored/runs out of batteries, gambling that it won't want to waste too much time calling down fire on one dude? Try to hide?

Their battery life is only 30-40 minutes and that’ll include the return trip so yeah, hunkering down in the woods seems like a good plan if you can do nothing else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

stealie72 posted:

Not to put too fine a point on it, but does Russia not understand that these are Europeans they are slaughtering and the west will actually give a poo poo about this?

Does Putin want to be god emperor of s pariah state?

They are operating under the metric that atrocity = victory. The fact that they're not winning means they aren't warcriming hard enough.

Vincent Van Goatse posted:

Lovecraft probably based the symptoms that the characters suffered in that on descriptions of radium necrosis. It was written when the Radium Girls were all over the news.

Perhaps, but I don't think the notion that a nuclear disaster creates an ecological disaster was well understood, even by the most advanced scientists of the day. My argument is that Lovecraft accidentally created an apt allegory back in 1927.

Tiny Timbs posted:

Their battery life is only 30-40 minutes and that’ll include the return trip so yeah, hunkering down in the woods seems like a good plan if you can do nothing else.

For cheap ones. There are commercial drones available with longer life spans, and the US has given drones as aid that have 2 or more hours of service life. The Ukrainians are operating everything they can get their hands on. Not that I'm disagreeing with your assessment. Waiting for a few hours in the woods is preferable to getting shelled.

A.o.D. fucked around with this message at 12:26 on Apr 8, 2022

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
https://twitter.com/TadeuszGiczan/status/1512358381557882881?s=20&t=-JaKJ3R8uysRxLtzCQJSuQ

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/kmartynov/status/1512320051575205888?s=20&t=j7WN-1V1wJUVATZ6TDCaGw

Baconroll posted:

I saw one video clip which showed some 'reactive armour' blocks that had fallen off the top of a tank turret - they were clearly just empty metal shells with nothing inside them.

drat sounds like they uparmored the egg cartons

this is very concerning for Ukraine

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

https://twitter.com/kmartynov/status/1512320051575205888?s=20&t=j7WN-1V1wJUVATZ6TDCaGw

drat sounds like they uparmored the egg cartons

this is very concerning for Ukraine

They'll have to spend millions to get all of those captured tanks up to spec.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1512400749468299269?s=21&t=hZSFiZw-bHMNrXAt8Id2kg

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

odd lots is back with more pallet chat. I've been traveling this week so apologies if it got posted a couple days ago.

https://twitter.com/TheStalwart/status/1511419332382842894?s=20&t=3LC8UVK7WvAz5Qv1ItzKzw

direct link to pod episode:
https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/what-wooden-pallets-have-to-do-with-russias-invasion/id1056200096?i=1000556331039

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~

Carth Dookie posted:

It's entirely possible the "plate" was actually cardboard and the Mac was an upgrade.

Yea I just assumed they never had a plate to begin with, just a convenient pocket.

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

Radical 90s Wizard posted:

Yea I just assumed they never had a plate to begin with, just a convenient pocket.

Packed with leaflets on the importance of reporting misappropriation of military stores.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hekk posted:

Yeah, you are an idiot for wandering around a war zone without your weapon. You are an even bigger idiot if you lead the flying eyeball back to the rest of your unit. Run inside a building, under some trees, anywhere other than directly back to the thing you know the eyeball in the sky is looking for.

Immediate action for drone scenarios was definitely not a thing I was taught in boot camp.

Seems like something that must be taught, and practiced once out at your unit, now.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Murgos posted:

Immediate action for drone scenarios was definitely not a thing I was taught in boot camp.

Seems like something that must be taught, and practiced once out at your unit, now.

Cell phone discipline needs to be a thing, if it isn't already, as well.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Yeah, that was a given once they encounter any frustration though :(

Nah, they had planned the war criming from the start. What else were they planning to do with mobile crematoriums, filtering lists and an expectation that they would decapitate the country in hours and force a capitulation within days?

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Crazy idea, lazy pitch: you know those LCS that the Navy wants to scrap? Lend-Lease.

Navy goons NAVGOONs, please tell me if this is idiotic, TIA.

Stravag
Jun 7, 2009

They were dissolving in sea water because they didn't properly anode them its an horrible idea. The Ukrainians need things with high reliability and low maintenence. The LCSes are the opposite of that.

Give them to the russians.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Naked Bear posted:

Crazy idea, lazy pitch: you know those LCS that the Navy wants to scrap? Lend-Lease.

Great idea! Now to figure out if there are any military missions the LCS are capable of performing.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Somewhere a Patriot sales executive just got a hard on thinking about the rush back fill orders as the words, "third shift overhead' buzz in his ears.

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Yeah, to be a project manager or sales exec in the defense industry right now. Gonna be a good few years for LockMart/Raytheon/Thales/L3Harris.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Naked Bear posted:

About as useful as handing them already armed grenades

A Festivus Miracle
Dec 19, 2012

I have come to discourse on the profound inequities of the American political system.

Here, have our astonishingly expensive and ineffectual for what they're actually intended for destroyers (that are larger than WW2 cruisers). As soon as they arrive in the Black Sea, you're going to need to put them in dock because the transition from Atlantic waters to Black Sea waters (being less saline than the Mediterranean) has caused an immense amount of corrosion and if you don't fix it the jets that move the vehicle are going to stop being able to turn in their mounts.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Slovakia sent ALL of their S-300 assets, they definitely have a guarantee of getting backfilled with Patriot for that to have happened.

E: oh looks like they already got them a couple weeks ago

shame on an IGA fucked around with this message at 14:39 on Apr 8, 2022

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Great idea! Now to figure out if there are any military missions the LCS are capable of performing.

Put them all in 7th fleet. Once the engines fail and they're dead in the water, no amount of lovely rosters or fatigue management can cause a collision with a container ship.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Here, have our astonishingly expensive and ineffectual for what they're actually intended for destroyers (that are larger than WW2 cruisers). As soon as they arrive in the Black Sea, you're going to need to put them in dock because the transition from Atlantic waters to Black Sea waters (being less saline than the Mediterranean) has caused an immense amount of corrosion and if you don't fix it the jets that move the vehicle are going to stop being able to turn in their mounts.

"By the way, you guys have enough trained crewmen who can handle these things and can read the English labels, right?"

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Ah, poo poo, I didn't even think of all that. Welp! :shrug:

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Becoming a reef is the only military mission LCS can perform 100%

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.

The LCS ships are pretty junk, but they definitely aren't larger than WW2 cruisers. Even Arleigh Burke destroyers are significantly smaller than the old Cleveland cruisers were, though they certainly bridge the gap (and are only slightly smaller than modern Ticonderoga cruisers.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It would take a few months to train up Ukrainians on the LCS anyhow. People they probably can't afford to spare at the moment.

Less costly and maybe more effective would be the A10 daydreams people were having when the war started. Fewer people to train, probably more effective than some sailing parallelogram that's going to be dockbound for a few months.

Send them a few bombers and a boat load of MOABs if they promise to drop them on the Kremlin.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Because I am that kind of a nerd, the neither LCS type is even close to a WWII era light cruiser in size or tonnage and neither are designated as destroyers.

If you mean the Zumwalts, yes they are larger than WWII era cruisers and the gun system is nonsense but 80 VLS cells and a modern AEGIS class AESA radar array would be no joke to continued Russian sorties over Ukraine.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

A.o.D. posted:

Cell phone discipline needs to be a thing, if it isn't already, as well.

But how will I encounter all of the Hot Local Refugees Just Waiting To Meet Me if I don’t invade this country with my Tinder profile active and location services enabled?

The tankies are claiming that Russia doesn’t use the Tochka-U missile, but Ukraine does so it’s another false flag by the Azov Battalion meant to bring NATO into the war.

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

A.o.D. posted:

Fire ships. Remote control minesweepers. Decoys. Barracks ships for housing Ukrainian forces training overseas.

gently caress, I'm good at this. Crab Dad, any openings over there? I can waste the US Navy's money with the best of them.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Murgos posted:

I wasn’t taught immediate action for much of anything in boot camp outside of resolving rifle misfires. However, just because a very specific scenario wasn’t covered in detail doesn’t mean that common sense steps to keep an individual from putting their entire unit at risk weren’t drilled into our heads.

It’s the same common sense stuff like not bunching up, establishing a base of fire before attempting maneuver, use of bounding over watch.

None of this is varsity level training. It’s all stuff you could get a gaggle of folks with rifles to understand in a weekend.

cruft
Oct 25, 2007

Hekk posted:

None of this is varsity level training. It’s all stuff you could get a gaggle of folks with rifles to understand in a weekend.

What I'm reading here is that a conscripted army is going to do a lot of dumb poo poo.

Xakura
Jan 10, 2019

A safety-conscious little mouse!

What are you on about, LCS is less than half the size of an arleigh burke. If any other navy built them they would have been called a corvette.

Murgos posted:

Because I am that kind of a nerd, the neither LCS type is even close to a WWII era light cruiser in size or tonnage and neither are designated as destroyers.

If you mean the Zumwalts, yes they are larger than WWII era cruisers and the gun system is nonsense but 80 VLS cells and a modern AEGIS class AESA radar array would be no joke to continued Russian sorties over Ukraine.

I'd argue the gun system isn't in itself nonsense, but building only 3 of them and having 0 interoperability with existing unguided ammo and other guided ammo systems was.

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

cruft posted:

What I'm reading here is that a conscripted army is going to do a lot of dumb poo poo.

I am just struggling to come to terms with the fact that the boogie man I spent decades being told was a near peer is in fact almost completely inept. Before OIF/OEF, we used to drive Russian BMPs around the desert as OPFOR and train our units how to fight our Cold War enemy. All of our exercise outcomes included massive losses to our forces because of Russian capabilities.

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Murgos posted:

Nah, they had planned the war criming from the start. What else were they planning to do with mobile crematoriums, filtering lists and an expectation that they would decapitate the country in hours and force a capitulation within days?

Prior to the invasion I figured they were at least competent enough to not just fire shells for funsies into evacuation centers with zero military value

Commoners
Apr 25, 2007

Sometimes you reach a stalemate. Sometimes you get magic horses.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Prior to the invasion I figured they were at least competent enough to not just fire shells for funsies into evacuation centers with zero military value

What you're attributing to incompetence should be better recognized as cold malice.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

God I feel awful for saying this but rail is a strategic military infrastructure. Doesn't make it any less infuriating that they put a missile in it.

I don't think the passenger terminal itself was an invalid target I just think they knowingly did it with refugees in it. But I also know they're inept enough to have no intel at all at the brigade level, so its equally likely someone just said "blow up this train station" and it was done.

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The tankies are claiming that Russia doesn’t use the Tochka-U missile, but Ukraine does so it’s another false flag by the Azov Battalion meant to bring NATO into the war.

You may already be well aware, but for anyone who would like to retort someone arguing that there is plenty of evidence to debunk those claims.

https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1512425885961441287

https://twitter.com/anya_voytenko/status/1512371306511187970

https://twitter.com/Liveuamap/status/1512378210461364231

https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1512375012946292736

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

Nick Soapdish posted:

Becoming a reef is the only military mission LCS can perform 100%

Couldn't you put them in freshwater? Move them to the great lakes and use them as modern training ships

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

Exciting Lemon

St_Ides posted:

Couldn't you put them in freshwater? Move them to the great lakes and use them as modern training ships

training for what?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Interesting that the main image on the wiki page for the Tochka missile is captioned "Missiles systems Tochka-U at a Russian Federation rehearsal for the parade in Yekaterinburg" along with lists of use by RF in combat and that they currently have 220 launchers in operation.

edit: glynnenstein's post with the receipts. Holy poo poo that's some good stuff.

Murgos fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 8, 2022