Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hipster_Doofus
Dec 20, 2003

Lovin' every minute of it.

Instantly saw this image in my head as I read ":stare: Why isn't..."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Please don't post my company's org chart.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

I think this is a good place to ask:

I was tasked to see if my company should move from Norton's cloud-based antivirus thing to Microsoft Defender for Business (which is included with M365 Business Premium now). So I've been doing some searching and it seems like MDB only works on PCs running Windows 10/11 Pro? That's .. really annoying, since that's another $99 on top of the $10/user/mo to upgrade from Business Standard to Business Premium.

Is there a go-to goon recommendation for similar threat protection? Reddit seems to recommend Norton, Eset, and Bitdefender. I think many years ago everyone was recommending Eset and talking poo poo about Norton but I don't know gently caress-all about any of these things. I just use Defender on my home computer and usually don't deal with specifically security software.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Also, is there any good recommendations for a time-tracking app for billing hourly? We just use spreadsheets and that seems not great.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

jokes posted:

I was tasked to see if my company should move from Norton's cloud-based antivirus thing to Microsoft Defender for Business

Yes. I didn't read the rest of your post, but yes.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

jokes posted:

I was tasked to see if my company should move from Norton's cloud-based antivirus thing to Microsoft Defender for Business (which is included with M365 Business Premium now). So I've been doing some searching and it seems like MDB only works on PCs running Windows 10/11 Pro? That's .. really annoying, since that's another $99 on top of the $10/user/mo to upgrade from Business Standard to Business Premium.

Does this mean your company is running Windows Home, or Windows 7/8?

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Windows Home on some devices, Windows Pro on the others. We’re probably going to get new devices for everyone fairly soon that’ll be 11 Home.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Not sure who else needs to hear this, but don't run Windows Home for business computers.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Noted. We’re leaning on getting new thinkpads for the company and for some reason thinkpads don’t come with Pro installed by default.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Data transfer question.

I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10, on my home network. I need to transfer about 25 GB of files from desktop to laptop, and I don't have a USB drive. Can someone point me to the simplest way to transfer files between Windows 10 computers on the same home network?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Hughmoris posted:

Data transfer question.

I have a desktop and a laptop, both running Windows 10, on my home network. I need to transfer about 25 GB of files from desktop to laptop, and I don't have a USB drive. Can someone point me to the simplest way to transfer files between Windows 10 computers on the same home network?

Do you have your network set up to see both computers? It's easy to set up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-10-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

Alternatively you could sign up for something like Onedrive, Drobox or Google Drive and sync files. Onedrive gives you 100gb for a year for $20, for example.

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

Hughmoris posted:

Data transfer question.

Follow these instructions to share the files on the desktop.

On the laptop, open explorer and look in "Network" on the left-hand panel. It may want you to turn on network discovery, do that. Hopefully you see the desktop PC on the network. If it doesn't, you may need to connect directly by typing "\\DESKTOPNAME" in the address bar. (If you haven't named the desktop PC, find DESKTOPNAME in Settings -> System -> About.)

Note that file sharing works by user accounts. If you use the same username & password on both machines, this will work automatically. But if you use a different username, it will prompt you for a username & password. These will be name & password of the desktop.

25GB will take some time to move, depending on your network speed. If the desktop is plugged in via ethernet cable, you might want to do the same with the laptop, it'll go faster.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Medullah posted:

Do you have your network set up to see both computers? It's easy to set up.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/file-sharing-over-a-network-in-windows-10-b58704b2-f53a-4b82-7bc1-80f9994725bf

Alternatively you could sign up for something like Onedrive, Drobox or Google Drive and sync files. Onedrive gives you 100gb for a year for $20, for example.

Klyith posted:

Follow these instructions to share the files on the desktop.

On the laptop, open explorer and look in "Network" on the left-hand panel. It may want you to turn on network discovery, do that. Hopefully you see the desktop PC on the network. If it doesn't, you may need to connect directly by typing "\\DESKTOPNAME" in the address bar. (If you haven't named the desktop PC, find DESKTOPNAME in Settings -> System -> About.)

Note that file sharing works by user accounts. If you use the same username & password on both machines, this will work automatically. But if you use a different username, it will prompt you for a username & password. These will be name & password of the desktop.

25GB will take some time to move, depending on your network speed. If the desktop is plugged in via ethernet cable, you might want to do the same with the laptop, it'll go faster.

I have just enough tech knowledge that I might be able to set up that file sharing. I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Hughmoris posted:

I have just enough tech knowledge that I might be able to set up that file sharing. I'll give it a whirl, thanks!

As Kylith noted, it will take some time to transfer that much across the network though. I'd consider just going to Best Buy and getting a USB stick. You can get a 64gb one for $7.

Though if you don't have any larger USB drives you may want to consider getting one for backup purposes if you're not backing up another way. I'm saying that as someone that lost 5 years of pictures early on because I didn't have any type of backup strategy.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Yeesh. You weren't lying about the transfer speeds. Both laptop and desktop are wired, averaging 10 MB/s transfer.

Thankfully this isn't time critical, and I'll definitely pick up a USB stick next time I'm out.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

jokes posted:

Noted. We’re leaning on getting new thinkpads for the company and for some reason thinkpads don’t come with Pro installed by default.

The ones for home use don't; the ones for commercial use do, I believe.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Thinkpads should all be Pro, IdeaPad is the consumer brand. If Lenovo have started putting out consumer ThinkPads then :argh:

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thanks Ants posted:

Thinkpads should all be Pro, IdeaPad is the consumer brand. If Lenovo have started putting out consumer ThinkPads then :argh:

Yeah I was a bit surprised too, but then again I never really compared OSes with business laptops. Is it because of security definitions or what? We’re going to use Intune/AD for this coming deployment and I imagine that’s one of the main reasons Pro is important.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

Thanks Ants posted:

ThinkPad Extreme X1s seem to blur the line. As near as I can tell they're virtually identical to the ThinkPad P1s.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Yeah you can't use any management features with a Home version of Windows. You categorically do not want that OS in your environment, it's as good as unmanageable.

The cost for a Pro license when you're ordering the machines is probably less than an hour of your time to dick around with a device that won't enrol into Azure AD.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another chapter in the storied history of horrible "integrations", Logitech's G Hub will try to get access to Discord if you have the app running, asking for access to your channels and friend lists. If you click cancel the installer crashes and G Hub will not be able to start.

If you completely exit Discord and then install G Hub, it works fine (it will still notice Discord and try to get access after install, but it won't crash anymore if you hit cancel).

No real question here, just complaining about the state of everything we install wanting access to everything we do (in this case they appear to only want to use it to mess with LED colors but once they got access nothing stops them from doing more).

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Thanks Ants posted:

Yeah you can't use any management features with a Home version of Windows. You categorically do not want that OS in your environment, it's as good as unmanageable.

The cost for a Pro license when you're ordering the machines is probably less than an hour of your time to dick around with a device that won't enrol into Azure AD.

That seems like a major misstep. At least it’s relatively painless to upgrade to Pro, but when we get new devices, any device we can’t gently caress with from AD would be a gaping hole

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.

jokes posted:

Home is the cheapest license and there's no point in paying extra for Pro if you are a large organisation that will have separate Enterprise license.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Enterprise VL is an upgrade license and requires the hardware to have an OEM Pro license - you can't put Enterprise on top of Windows home, unless you're academic or non-profit.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing
The news/weather feed in the taskbar started consuming 12GB of RAM for no reason, thanks Microsoft for shoving this crap in here.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

qsvui posted:

The news/weather feed in the taskbar started consuming 12GB of RAM for no reason, thanks Microsoft for shoving this crap in here.

I think you can disable that sumbitch.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Hughmoris posted:

Yeesh. You weren't lying about the transfer speeds. Both laptop and desktop are wired, averaging 10 MB/s transfer.

Thankfully this isn't time critical, and I'll definitely pick up a USB stick next time I'm out.

You have ancient cables/switch/router. Gigabit networking (That should give about 100 MB/s) was released 22 years ago. Even modern WiFi should be faster than what you get.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

MikusR posted:

You have ancient cables/switch/router. Gigabit networking (That should give about 100 MB/s) was released 22 years ago. Even modern WiFi should be faster than what you get.

I'm thinking the laptop was the culprit. Both computers were purchased new in 2016. Looking up the laptop specs, I'm thinking this network interface is my pain point: Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN.

qsvui
Aug 23, 2003
some crazy thing

jokes posted:

I think you can disable that sumbitch.

joke's on me for not getting rid of that earlier along with cortana

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Medullah posted:

Though if you don't have any larger USB drives you may want to consider getting one for backup purposes if you're not backing up another way. I'm saying that as someone that lost 5 years of pictures early on because I didn't have any type of backup strategy.

Hughmoris posted:

Gigabit ethernet is going to be faster than any cheap USB stick.

Even a medium-price USB3 stick I have is just barely faster than GigE and then you have to copy it off after. (Admittedly its read speeds are much better than its write.)

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Thanks Ants posted:

ThinkPads have come in many series for quite a while now.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
I bought a consumer series thinkpad in 2011, and they’d been around for a while then too.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

jokes posted:

Also, is there any good recommendations for a time-tracking app for billing hourly? We just use spreadsheets and that seems not great.
i haven't used a good one, but i can tell you what to avoid: tsheets is bad, nexonia is horrific.

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

Hughmoris posted:

I'm thinking the laptop was the culprit. Both computers were purchased new in 2016. Looking up the laptop specs, I'm thinking this network interface is my pain point: Integrated 10/100 BASE-T Ethernet LAN.

I remember I had to cobble together a work from home setup when lockdowns started and I needed an Ethernet cable. Dug around a box full of old cables and found a nice looking one and used it for a while, only to realize a couple days later that it was an Xbox 360 branded 10/100 cable.

I thought I was going crazy with everything LAN related being a huge pain in the rear end-slow ordeal.

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Moving a C: drive SSD from an old PC to my new one and Disk Manager won't give me the option to format/wipe the recovery partition, even though I obviously have a separate one for THIS instance of the OS.

These Microsoft motherfuckers are really gonna make people open command prompt and gently caress around instead of just putting a quick admin check here in the GUI? (Or just naturally recognise it's not MY recovery partition anymore!)

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

You should be able to wipe it fine during Windows install. Unless this drive is going to be secondary in its new home? You can still boot to windows install and destroy the partitions that way.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Last Chance posted:

I remember I had to cobble together a work from home setup when lockdowns started and I needed an Ethernet cable. Dug around a box full of old cables and found a nice looking one and used it for a while, only to realize a couple days later that it was an Xbox 360 branded 10/100 cable.

I thought I was going crazy with everything LAN related being a huge pain in the rear end-slow ordeal.

I never realized cables could be made for different speeds! I would say I should check mine, but I'm in an apartment where I can't easily run cables to my computes from the router. Should check the cable between the modem and router at least.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

It's the number of pairs they have, it's possible to put 4 fewer wires in and get a cable that can't do gigabit for companies that need to save literal pennies.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

~Coxy posted:

Gigabit ethernet is going to be faster than any cheap USB stick.

Even a medium-price USB3 stick I have is just barely faster than GigE and then you have to copy it off after. (Admittedly its read speeds are much better than its write.)

Well sure, but I was working off the assumption that OP had WiFi on at least one of their machines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
Gigabit ethernet technically wants cat5e, but over short connections it basically never matters. Also a lot of old cat5 cable actually meets the 5e spec, the difference was not huge. Most of my wired poo poo is with old cat5, it all does gigabit ok.

So it's possible that Last Chance's xbox cable was so crap that it could only do 100mbit, but IMO more likely that it was damaged, or there was junk in the socket or something else like that.

(and of course a better cable won't help if the network hardware is 10/100)

Thanks Ants posted:

It's the number of pairs they have, it's possible to put 4 fewer wires in and get a cable that can't do gigabit for companies that need to save literal pennies.

Cat 5, 5e, 6, and 8 are all 4 pairs. The difference in spec is only about the quality of wire, configuration of twists, and tolerances. If you only have 2 pairs you can't even do 100 mbit afaik.

VagueRant posted:

Moving a C: drive SSD from an old PC to my new one and Disk Manager won't give me the option to format/wipe the recovery partition, even though I obviously have a separate one for THIS instance of the OS.

These Microsoft motherfuckers are really gonna make people open command prompt and gently caress around instead of just putting a quick admin check here in the GUI? (Or just naturally recognise it's not MY recovery partition anymore!)

It's dumb, but I bet there is / was a lot of confusion because lots of PCs used to ship with 'recovery' partitions that would re-image the machine back to the original OEM install (complete with software, divers, and bloatware). Deleting those recovery partitions was a good idea to reclaim space -- you'd want to reinstall with a clean OS anyways -- while deleting the OS recovery partition isn't.