Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

gotta get back to work, feels good

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jKLTzbBBHA

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kater
Nov 16, 2010

wait what happens when you eat too much micro

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

You need a balance of micro and macro plastics in your diet

Egg Moron
Jul 21, 2003

the dreams of the delighting void

Try drinking bottled water and then eating the bottle

Make time in your week to consume an entire little tykes cozy coupe

Leave the wrapper on your cheese slices

Pulverize plastic cutlery in your blender and sub in the resulting plastic powder for salt in your cooking

Cut your cocaine with your DIY plastic powder

Smoke zip ties instead of cigarettes

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
A quick and easy way to add some phthalates to your diet is to cook with black nitrile gloves on. If you eat out at restaurants three times a week or more, don't worry: these gloves are now standard in most commercial kitchens so your phthalate RDA is probably already being met.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It's our duty to consume plastic so the evolved jellyfish and squid can harvest it from our bodies rather than make more.

Flowers For Algeria
Dec 3, 2005

I humbly offer my services as forum inquisitor. There is absolutely no way I would abuse this power in any way.

mawarannahr posted:

here’s the guy who took the bdell pic he sounds pretty cool

He was cool enough to agree to go look for an 8 year old picture when I emailed him asking for the whole version of bdell. Cheers for Steve.

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth
instead of being a depressed weenie about this bio-crap, you could take action like the Coca-Cola company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRadzzvQNY

just a thought

Samuel Glompers
Nov 26, 2020

Flowers For Algeria posted:

He was cool enough to agree to go look for an 8 year old picture when I emailed him asking for the whole version of bdell. Cheers for Steve.

For he's a jolly good bdellow~ :toot:

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.

Hubbert posted:

everyone please stay calm, the economists will save us

more seriously

TehSaurus posted:

That was a good blog post Tpaine. Thank you for sharing it. Something that jumps out at me about the doomer discourse, is that the views of the doomer are valid. Some might disagree with the views, but they are valid views to hold. Suppressing the expression of these views denies an untold number of us the opportunity to grieve for... everything, doing genuine harm.

We had a speaker at work a couple weeks back. Her expertise was in applied mathematics, and she was asked a question about climate optimism. She gave a brave answer, but it started with how difficult it is to be optimistic about the climate, given the evidence. Honestly she could be a poster here.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that regardless of what some rear end in a top hat says in their Twitter drive by, y'all are valid and deserve the space to process this existential horror.

treat like a palliative care situation: you are allowed to grieve, but don't succumb to absolute despair.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 15:43 on Apr 8, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Hubbert posted:

more seriously

treat like a palliative care situation: you are allowed to grieve, but don't succumb to absolute despair.

I think palliative care of a loved one is absolutely the best analogy there is for how we should act individually.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Besides, what else are you going to do?

Gonna cry?
Piss your pants?
Maybe poo poo and cum?

Are you going to lie down and die like a dog?

Will you wrap yourself up in the cold embrace of inaction, cynicism, and despair, while you watch the world crumble around you?

Frankl teaches us that there is meaning in life, meaning in suffering, and that we must never be satisfied with demanding something from life - but by taking up cause, and doing what life demands of your unique abilities and talents.

A few OG doomers from LF here might remember that I used to write up long effort posts about climate change, resource depletion, and the future. That was nearly 15 years ago.

You know what I did since then?

I sure as gently caress didn't give up.

I worked my way through multiple degrees and theses, with scholarships and awards, and became a practicing professional registered urban planner because no matter the grief and likely outcomes, the burden of the future falls on us to make it better. I even still work through my grief through my own eclectic publicly shared mixture of memes and rigorously researched musings elsewhere in the digital agora.

I am not asking you to have hope for the future. I am asking you to go beyond hope, and into the realm of meaningful action and purpose- whatever that might mean for you.

Only then will you find any sort of spiritual salvation.

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:03 on Apr 8, 2022

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Ok but my lungs hurt now and I don't have any hands.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Baseball's opening day was yesterday. Saw a post asking why the Angels only let Shohei Ohtani pitch four and two-thirds innings. Answer: It was 102° in LA so that puts extra strain on the pitcher. On the first day of baseball season. At least we can do the World Series in November now because it doesn't snow anymore.

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Chamale posted:

Baseball's opening day was yesterday. Saw a post asking why the Angels only let Shohei Ohtani pitch four and two-thirds innings. Answer: It was 102° in LA so that puts extra strain on the pitcher. On the first day of baseball season. At least we can do the World Series in November now because it doesn't snow anymore.

That is pretty hot at least summer is almost over

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

I respect the outlook and all but you just intentionally put yourself up against bustin', seems like a losing strategy

Ssthalar
Sep 16, 2007

Hubbert posted:

I am not asking you to have hope for the future. I am asking you to go beyond hope, and into the realm of meaningful action and purpose- whatever that might mean for you.

Only then will you find any sort of spiritual salvation.

That's an interesting way of saying "Work will set you free". :v:

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Chamale posted:

Why not just air condition the stadium? Of course it goes without saying you would offset the carbon somehow, hey maybe by replanting trees in the burn scars in the surrounding mountains! I think we've got this, guys!

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

Ssthalar posted:

That's an interesting way of saying "Work will set you free". :v:

Be sure to tell that to Frankl.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Hubbert posted:

Be sure to tell that to Frankl.

oof size: large

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hubbert posted:

Frankl teaches us that there is meaning in life, meaning in suffering, and that we must never be satisfied with demanding something from life - but by taking up cause, and doing what life demands of your unique abilities and talents.

I remember Frankel's message being much broader. Meaning can be found in the work of your life, in love, or in art and experience. He didn't tell people to tear down the system. He told people to find what is important to them and to do that. He also said that it is worth doing Good no matter how small. So like, cool that you did all that, but if all I have capacity for is being compassionate to people on a dead gay comedy forum while I lie down to die, I'm pretty sure he would be chill with that too.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

I remember Frankel's message being much broader. Meaning can be found in the work of your life, in love, or in art and experience. He didn't tell people to tear down the system. He told people to find what is important to them and to do that. He also said that it is worth doing Good no matter how small. So like, cool that you did all that, but if all I have capacity for is being compassionate to people on a dead gay comedy forum while I lie down to die, I'm pretty sure he would be chill with that too.

You're right (your point above is what he writes in Man's Search for Meaning) and I very much agree with you, but the point that I'm making is actually drawn from one of his lectures - "On the Meaning and Value of Life I".

I also never said anything about tearing down the system. :shobon:

Dixon Chisholm
Jan 2, 2020
I dont gibe a gently caress what that real housewife bethenny says about doing good

TehSaurus
Jun 12, 2006

Hubbert posted:

You're right (your point above is what he writes in Man's Search for Meaning) and I very much agree with you, but the point that I'm making is actually drawn from one of his lectures - "On the Meaning and Value of Life I".

I also never said anything about tearing down the system. :shobon:

Oh hey sorry for the last bit. I'll admit I wasn't able to read you carefully and was doing a bit of inference there. Really I was just concerned people might be feeling judged and I wanted to give a different perspective. It sounds like that's not what you were after though, so no worries it's all good.

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
I keep almost posting something in the other thread and just end up deleting it.

Most people still are deep in denial, and the responses they come up with thinking they think are acknowledging the problem are themselves just forms of obfuscation of the real root of the problem.

Until we can imagine the end of capitalism, there is no end to climate change. We can't growth-market our way out of this hole. There is an unavoidable ocean of pain ahead that has been locked in and people just don't want to come to terms with it, for understandable reasons.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

TehSaurus posted:

Oh hey sorry for the last bit. I'll admit I wasn't able to read you carefully and was doing a bit of inference there. Really I was just concerned people might be feeling judged and I wanted to give a different perspective. It sounds like that's not what you were after though, so no worries it's all good.

what if we held hands as we burned everything down around us :blush:

Edit: More seriously, I find more joy and satisfaction in the act of creation (rather than destruction) in the service of others.

I just loathed seeing folks in this thread march forwards into the sort of person I used to be, with an attitude I used to possess, around a decade ago. My polemic above was essentially an undirected* stream of rage.

There is no future or utility in drowning yourself in that sort of dispiriting condition. The World we knew, were promised, and loved is gone now. There is only what we leave behind for the future.

And now that I'm done earnest/serious posting, I gotta get back to work! :shobon:

Hubbert has issued a correction as of 16:37 on Apr 9, 2022

Cloks
Feb 1, 2013

by Azathoth

Hubbert posted:

what if we held hands as we burned everything down around us :blush:

Edit: More seriously, I find more joy and satisfaction in the act of creation (rather than destruction) in the service of others.

I just loathed seeing folks in this thread march forwards into the sort of person I used to be, with an attitude I used to possess, around a decade ago. My polemic above was essentially an undirectioned stream of rage.

There is no future or utility in drowning yourself in that sort of dispiriting condition. The World we knew, were promised, and loved is gone now. There is only what we leave behind for the future.

And now that I'm done earnest/serious posting, I gotta get back to work! :shobon:

i think you are making reasonable arguments but you can't just tell a person to reconcile their grief and arrive at a positive position, people aren't robots

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

The Protagonist posted:

I keep almost posting something in the other thread and just end up deleting it.

Most people still are deep in denial, and the responses they come up with thinking they think are acknowledging the problem are themselves just forms of obfuscation of the real root of the problem.

Until we can imagine the end of capitalism, there is no end to climate change. We can't growth-market our way out of this hole. There is an unavoidable ocean of pain ahead that has been locked in and people just don't want to come to terms with it, for understandable reasons.

lol the guy who was like "just because you have stage 4 incurable cancer doesn't mean you stop treatment" almost got me to post over there because it was so insanely stupid and hosed up.

YOU DO STOP TREATMENT IN MANY CASES! The treatments suck and they hurt and if you can spend what time you have left not puking and losing your hair, most people prefer that.

Also gently caress that whole god drat forum for still not perma'ing Cosby after the whole metoo thread fiasco and allowing him to keep making GBS threads up threads.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

The Protagonist posted:

Yeah um gonna go ahead and say don't post that, or really anything, ever, in the bad thread

E: spot on though, post that poo poo in here.

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:34 on Apr 8, 2022

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1512304189258436617?t=6RrgVt6boiYfBeOge-rKLg&s=19

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Yeah we're committing suicide as a species.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

silicone thrills posted:

lol the guy who was like "just because you have stage 4 incurable cancer doesn't mean you stop treatment" almost got me to post over there because it was so insanely stupid and hosed up.

YOU DO STOP TREATMENT IN MANY CASES! The treatments suck and they hurt and if you can spend what time you have left not puking and losing your hair, most people prefer that.

Also gently caress that whole god drat forum for still not perma'ing Cosby after the whole metoo thread fiasco and allowing him to keep making GBS threads up threads.

This is where the pallatiative care analogy comes in. You take Grandma off her treatment but you still go visit her and listen to her stories. Everything is completely and utterly hosed, capitalism won, but you should still have a garden and go on hikes and have a beehive and make habitats for critters and just be present for all of those things. Or become an urban planner or build wind mills (lol) or quit your oil and gas job (me) etc...

IAMKOREA has issued a correction as of 19:36 on Apr 8, 2022

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

What is he referring to?

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

IAMKOREA posted:

What is he referring to?

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1512306773025124354?t=pVmBOE4iouPtMNNedXemzA&s=19

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Might as well post the rest of it

https://twitter.com/ClimateHuman/status/1512308707844972552?t=ykfyNdkrQqzD6vQUza-bWQ&s=19

Ihmemies
Oct 6, 2012

I think people realize how turbo hosed we are. But they don't want to know. They don't want to talk about it. None of my friends do. So why cover some event no one wants to talk or know about in the news?

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

owned

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.

gently caress COREY PERRY posted:

for me what has been wild is watching doom percolate into entertainment - like goddamn pop bands are already telling people they're hosed, i can't imagine what'll be like another 5 years from now

holy poo poo the heat death of the planet is gonna produce some slappin bangers, didn’t quite consider this, maybe it’s not all bad news after all

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007

Cloks posted:

instead of being a depressed weenie about this bio-crap, you could take action like the Coca-Cola company

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1HRadzzvQNY

just a thought

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cup Runneth Over
Aug 8, 2009

She said life's
Too short to worry
Life's too long to wait
It's too short
Not to love everybody
Life's too long to hate

Ihmemies posted:

I think people realize how turbo hosed we are. But they don't want to know. They don't want to talk about it. None of my friends do. So why cover some event no one wants to talk or know about in the news?

random people on the internet are starting to catch onto the microplastics thing so yea i think it's out there

https://twitter.com/meowmeowmeuw/status/1512216152608493578