Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

This show does need a new director of photography immediately. It looks like it's a CBS TV show streaming on Paramount Plus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Courtenay being a cgi character is the least surprising decision

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I'm not a fan of her being life sized. She needs to either be tiny or giant depending on her emitter location.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I'm giving this 45 more minutes for John Halo to start shooting aliens again and then I'm done. I dunno if this is any more interesting for fans of the series who know what this is apparently a prequel for, but the most entertaining thing so far has been Master Chief's rear end.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Halo has always kinda been The Cortana Show since John is such a cypher.

And the villains have always been extremely boring.

raverrn
Apr 5, 2005

Unidentified spacecraft inbound from delta line.

All Silpheed squadrons scramble now!

I'm on board so far. The show is extremely dumb, but it's extremely dumb in a late 90's Stargate / Farscape way.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016
A breezy, easy watch, which is more than can be said for a lot of shows. My only exposure to Halo is playing the first 2 hours of #1 when it came out on Windows (2003?). I'm a sucker for cute hologram ladies with hidden motives, so thanks for that. All the spaceships and architecture shapes being based on 2001 Xbox graphics is amusing.

If the show also makes a bunch of vibio g*mers piss and poo poo themselves inside out, so much the better. Long may it run.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

The REAL Goobusters posted:

The halo 3 commercials are better than this entire show as well

That one with the two little kids, and then John wakes up on the battle field, so good.

This one

https://youtu.be/GKDkKKt9Y7I

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
The era of "i must defend this objectively sub-par franchise entry to own some wrongthink nerds who absolutely exist outside my own head" can't end quickly enough

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

This was the best episode so far IMO. It's still got plenty of dumb poo poo in it (the finger energy sword takes the cake), but all the clone stuff I thought was very effective, and I like the dynamic of this super soldier getting a person stuck in his head and immediately being like "get the gently caress OUT".

I have no idea why they decided to make Cortana this weird uncanny valley thing, though, it just looks weird. Also they really need to set up some stuff about what the gently caress the Covenant are. Even though I know already, it's kind of baffling that not a single motivation has been given for anything.

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

John has always known he is a video game protagonist who's motivation is to shoot bad guys.

It was definitely right to change that because as mediocre as this is it is at least not doing a bad carbon copy of the mandalorian.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

This is a terrible copy of the Mandelorian, the guy never puts his helmet on or goes on adventures.

Roman
Aug 8, 2002

Arglebargle III posted:

Yeah the energy of the show changed once she showed up. While the show does need more shooting aliens, they really need to nail the cortana/chief relationship. The games can kinda get away without it (well, Reach anyway) but this show needs it like right now.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer
Honestly I think we should stop hating on the show before the whole season is out. It’s building but I can say this doesn’t seem like a show that works well as being released one episode a week but it may be an absolute masterpiece once the whole season is available.

So let’s stop focusing on the show for now and focus on the individual episodes before we claim the whole show is rear end before we see the bigger picture.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A second season's already under way also so I'm still assuming we're not getting to Halo til then

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Here’s my (individua) episode 3 review:

No dong. 0/10

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

RBA Starblade posted:

A second season's already under way also so I'm still assuming we're not getting to Halo til then

And the S1 showrunners are long gone which looking at how S1 is going may turn out to be a good thing.

Yeep
Nov 8, 2004
Cortana living in Master Chief's helmet works in the first game where it's really just one long combat sequence so he has to keep his helmet on, but if they want the conflict in the initial relationship between the two to transfer over to a TV show where a there's a lot more downtime having her as an implant is a plausible way to force them together.

That said, the naked bathroom scene would have been a lot better helmet on.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Yeep posted:

That said, the naked bathroom scene would have been a lot better helmet on.

It would have cemented this show as one of the all-time greats.

Anita Dickinme
Jan 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

MiddleOne posted:

It would have cemented this show as one of the all-time greats.

Plus dong

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

A little helmet on that too

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

It doesn't help that John Halo sounds far more like Elias Toufexis thatn Steve Downes.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Alchenar posted:

It doesn't help that John Halo sounds far more like Elias Toufexis thatn Steve Downes.

I've been thinking this the entire time too lol

I think the Mister Chief actor is doing a good job with what he's given though. I actually like most of the aspects of the show but the actual dumb plot so I'm just treating it like the end of Game of Thrones and seeing how dumb it goes lol

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Plot is real bad so far. Show wastes a lot of time on fluff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

MiddleOne posted:

Plot is real bad so far. Show wastes a lot of time on fluff.

Action scenes are expensive.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eYISGSaR6gI

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Horizon Burning posted:

The era of "i must defend this objectively sub-par franchise entry to own some wrongthink nerds who absolutely exist outside my own head" can't end quickly enough

Stay out of the Modern Star Trek thread if you want to live.

Arc Hammer posted:

Action scenes are expensive.

I feel real bad for the multibillion-dollar multimedia conglomerate on that one.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

McSpanky posted:

Stay out of the Modern Star Trek thread if you want to live.

I feel real bad for the multibillion-dollar multimedia conglomerate on that one.

The rich stay rich by not spending a lot of money. Or, in Halo's case, by selling a minimum viable product after you've cycled through hundreds if employees on temporary contracts all trying to ship of theseus together a working story and game. The TV show is no different and it's running on the same "budget TV movie on the Sci-Fi channel" ethos that gave us such gems as Halo Forward Unto Dawn and Halo Nightfall.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

McSpanky posted:

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

Hakkesshu posted:

This was the best episode so far IMO. It's still got plenty of dumb poo poo in it (the finger energy sword takes the cake), but all the clone stuff I thought was very effective, and I like the dynamic of this super soldier getting a person stuck in his head and immediately being like "get the gently caress OUT".

I have no idea why they decided to make Cortana this weird uncanny valley thing, though, it just looks weird. Also they really need to set up some stuff about what the gently caress the Covenant are. Even though I know already, it's kind of baffling that not a single motivation has been given for anything.

I think the uncanny valley-ness works in this rare case of Cortana since he's a projection of an AI who looks like a person.

But agreed on the need for them to set up the Covenant more.

Thought it was cool we got to see the Hunter worms outside of their armour though while I'm on the topic.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
they shouldve just used the literal model from the halo game. but anything would be better than the weird lady they made, and even that would be okay if they didnt try and lie to us and say she looks like blonde science lady

AndyElusive
Jan 7, 2007

She does look like blonde science lady though? They literally used her face for the model.

drunkill
Sep 25, 2007

me @ ur posting
Fallen Rib

Before I saw this teaser I figured Kai saw John Halo take out his inhibitor and would copy him (since we saw her with hair dye in the trailer) and because of her emotions she'd be the first silver team spartan to die, reacting in a combat situation unlike the other spartans and unlike John because he has Cortana to help him out.

Also figured she'd be the first to die as she's the sniper and separated from the group at some stage.

AndyElusive posted:

She does look like blonde science lady though? They literally used her face for the model.

Goons in TVIV are faceblind, happens in a heap of show threads, goons just don't see faces.

grittyreboot
Oct 2, 2012

Random thoughts:
-I almost gave up on the show after episode 2. Glad I stuck it out for this week. It feels like pieces are finally moving. Much more narrative momentum this week. Let's hope they keep it up for the rest of the season.

-The former Covenant prisoner from episode 2 made me extremely uncomfortable. The fact that they have a mentally ill character scurrying around on all fours like an animal is super regressive.

-In my headcannon, Bokeem Woodbine's character is just Mike Milligan who somehow happened to still be alive 500 years in the future

-It's really hard to care if humanity gets wiped out given what we see of life for the average person. Hell, most civilians might even be relieved.

-I mostly wish the franchise would return to the tone of CE. Gimme those fun, gung ho, one liners, not this dreary poo poo about soldiers grimly going about their solemn duties. This a criticism about the franchise as a whole, not just this show.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Something I appreciate about the show is how almost everyone on it is a huge weirdo

Assistant Creepo in particular lol

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

raverrn posted:

I'm on board so far. The show is extremely dumb, but it's extremely dumb in a late 90's Stargate / Farscape way.

Better than any of the star trek shows recently.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

grittyreboot posted:

Random thoughts:
-I mostly wish the franchise would return to the tone of CE. Gimme those fun, gung ho, one liners, not this dreary poo poo about soldiers grimly going about their solemn duties. This a criticism about the franchise as a whole, not just this show.

It's not even doing the dreary poo poo right. This thread got me looking up old TV ads for halo and I came across the 30 second one for reach. Called inspire hope or something.

That ad, set in what should presumably be the same time period the show is in, did more in 30 seconds to establish "war", "overwhelming odds", "losing", "sacrifice", "spartan badassery", "honour" etc than almost 3 hours of this nonsense TV show.

There's just this layer of typical shite TV scripting you see in a lot of modern shows where the writers, showrunners have like blinkers on or something and the "drama" on the screen is only ever related to something else literally on screen at that time.

That's why you get references to long running wars in the first episode but few, if any, scenes even infer towards it because the purpose of the immediate scene is to convey [drama1] and nothing else in the scene is allowed to detract from [drama1] even if [drama0] referenced in episode 1,scene 1 should rationally supercede it in universe.

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

I just want more scenes where the Spartans shoot aliems, man. Seriously, for someone who knows very little about Halo except the obvious, I went in expecting about five times as many fight scenes. And the talky stuff they're doing instead just isn't that interesting.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

AndyElusive posted:

they hosed up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
I just finished up playing Halo 3 last night and show Cortana looks a helluva lot better than that. Show Cortana looks like an AI that might have been designed intentionally to look and sound like it's friendly and non-threatening. Halo 3 Cortana looks like, well, a character meant to appeal to 13 y/o boys.