Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Taken from the guardian.

A child’s toy left behind at the Kramatorsk train station where a Russian missile attack struck Kramatorsk train station in Ukraine where civilians were evacuating.

:nms:

code:

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/7edd8c59d29f81f0bba4cca770c9d363d1b216a6/0_89_4000_2399/master/4000.jpg?width=780&quality=45&auto=format&fit=max&dpr=2&s=8d31bf378b0ce681b8c31f39dfa566ad

Give Ukraine whatever it wants.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

Commoners posted:

What you're attributing to incompetence should be better recognized as cold malice.

Well it’s not cold malice it seems more like irrational rage. They’ve done everything they can to enrage the Ukrainian population for no apparent gain

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Hekk posted:

I am just struggling to come to terms with the fact that the boogie man I spent decades being told was a near peer is in fact almost completely inept. Before OIF/OEF, we used to drive Russian BMPs around the desert as OPFOR and train our units how to fight our Cold War enemy. All of our exercise outcomes included massive losses to our forces because of Russian capabilities.

loving same. Its wild watching a 30 year bluff get called.

Valtonen
May 13, 2014

Tanks still suck but you don't gotta hand it to the Axis either.

A Festivus Miracle posted:

Here, have our astonishingly expensive and ineffectual for what they're actually intended for destroyers (that are larger than WW2 cruisers). As soon as they arrive in the Black Sea, you're going to need to put them in dock because the transition from Atlantic waters to Black Sea waters (being less saline than the Mediterranean) has caused an immense amount of corrosion and if you don't fix it the jets that move the vehicle are going to stop being able to turn in their mounts.

I mean If we could somehow make it unmanned it would deprive the russians of at least 1-3 anti-shipping missiles. I call that win-win.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sentinel posted:

Clearly they should have been staffed with State Defense Forces… although those guys are probably gonna be too overqualified too.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

Hekk posted:

I wasn’t taught immediate action for much of anything in boot camp outside of resolving rifle misfires. However, just because a very specific scenario wasn’t covered in detail doesn’t mean that common sense steps to keep an individual from putting their entire unit at risk weren’t drilled into our heads.

It’s the same common sense stuff like not bunching up, establishing a base of fire before attempting maneuver, use of bounding over watch.

None of this is varsity level training. It’s all stuff you could get a gaggle of folks with rifles to understand in a weekend.

Okay, I misspoke. IA drills weren't really a thing in boot camp. However, they were taught (along with not bunching up, fire bases, IA to ambush, bounding over watch) at Basic Warrior Training and were practiced repeatedly during unit exercises even when I was attached to non-combat units.

"every man a rifle man" etc...

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Well it’s not cold malice it seems more like irrational rage. They’ve done everything they can to enrage the Ukrainian population for no apparent gain

The intent is the same as Allied firebombing during WWII. Make the civilian populace turn on it's leadership and end the war.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
The idea that Russia, having expended a staggering chunk of its stockpile of PGM and cruise missiles, wouldn't be using the Tochka's they build in Moscow is dappy even without the proof already posted.

in a well actually
Jan 26, 2011

dude, you gotta end it on the rhyme

Murgos posted:

The intent is the same as Allied firebombing during WWII. Make the civilian populace turn on it's leadership and end the war.

Has this ever worked?

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

PCjr sidecar posted:

Has this ever worked?

Nope

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

The idea that Russia, having expended a staggering chunk of its stockpile of PGM and cruise missiles, wouldn't be using the Tochka's they build in Moscow is dappy even without the proof already posted.

It seems like they are running out of toys and are just shuffling around the box to find anything to use at this point.

And even more, with the right leadership and visibility like Zelenskyy is doing, it achieves the EXACT opposite effect and hardens resistance.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

St_Ides posted:

Couldn't you put them in freshwater? Move them to the great lakes and use them as modern training ships

They are entirely useless.

Reference: I was classmates with one of the port engineers in undergrad.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

M_Gargantua posted:

training for what?

Or search and rescue ships after climate change ramps up storms on the Great Lakes. Does the coast guard operate anything big on the Great Lakes?

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Murgos posted:

So, another thing outdated since WW2 that Russia didn't get around to replacing?

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

pantslesswithwolves posted:

The tankies are claiming that Russia doesn’t use the Tochka-U missile, but Ukraine does so it’s another false flag by the Azov Battalion meant to bring NATO into the war.

They very much *do* still use the missile. Russia never throws anything away. They used the Yankee-class missile boats until the hulls practically rusted through, and as has been pointed out many times, their tanks are pretty much re-treads (in some cases literally) all the way to the T-90.

It's like the LSD interrogation scene in The Good Shepherd, "it's all painted rust, nothing is working, there are no spare parts."

I mean, I know living in the west makes concepts like "we have a new thing, why would we keep the old and obsolete thing," but if you're going to stan a murderous, authoritarian regime, maybe learn a bit about their acquisitions processes.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Sentinel posted:

I enlisted in the Reagan 80s and we trained expecting to get squashed by the Soviets (I was in the 82nd). Now this...I have almost no words.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Maybe they were a lot better back then?

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

BIG HEADLINE posted:

They very much *do* still use the missile. Russia never throws anything away. They used the Yankee-class missile boats until the hulls practically rusted through, and as has been pointed out many times, their tanks are pretty much re-treads (in some cases literally) all the way to the T-90.

It's like the LSD interrogation scene in The Good Shepherd, "it's all painted rust, nothing is working, there are no spare parts."

I mean, I know living in the west makes concepts like "we have a new thing, why would we keep the old and obsolete thing," but if you're going to stan a murderous, authoritarian regime, maybe learn a bit about their acquisitions processes.

Yeah. They're also leaning very hard on the whole 3 months that have passed since they undeniably had an active unit armed with Tochkas.

https://twitter.com/CITeam_en/status/1512425874867593221

DekeThornton
Sep 2, 2011

Be friends!

zoux posted:

Maybe they were a lot better back then?

I doubt it. It was a corrupt dictatorship back then as well, with all the same flaws. Just with a different ideological coat of paint.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
Red Dawn. Fortress America. What a loving joke.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Question from an uninformed person regarding those Switchblade drones we are sending over in large numbers. Would it be standard practice that in addition to the expensive explosive models they would also deploy barebones models with no weapons and only enough tech to get airborne and linger but that otherwise look the same? Seems like a cost effective way to make Russian armor paranoid.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

Red Dawn. Fortress America. What a loving joke.

Invasion USA Is ironically the one “closest” to reality of all the asymmetrical warfare in terrorism minute. It even got the director invited to the White House after 9/11.

Flappy Bert
Dec 11, 2011

I have seen the light, and it is a string

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Question from an uninformed person regarding those Switchblade drones we are sending over in large numbers. Would it be standard practice that in addition to the expensive explosive models they would also deploy barebones models with no weapons and only enough tech to get airborne and linger but that otherwise look the same? Seems like a cost effective way to make Russian armor paranoid.

I mean, compared to everything else (the engine, flight control, communications) the explosives are comparatively not that expensive, it doesn't seem like a great trade.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Hyrax Attack! posted:

For that effect probably any old commercial drone of similar size would do. Assuming they ever actually see the drones. My guess is that they're functionally invisible to armoured units, especially ones sans infantry support.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The explosives aren't the expensive part.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL

Hyrax Attack! posted:

The warhead isn't the expensive part. And money is no practical object. If you are carrying it around, you'd want it to blow poo poo up. Off-the-shelf recon drones have way better range and loiter, and are reusable.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Why make them paranoid when making them dead/inoperable is an option? Insert Futurama's line about bloated military budgets here.

Hyrax Attack!
Jan 13, 2009

We demand to be taken seriously

Lovely Joe Stalin posted:

For that effect probably any old commercial drone of similar size would do. Assuming they ever actually see the drones. My guess is that they're functionally invisible to armoured units, especially ones sans infantry support.

That makes sense, I was imagining whenever Russian convoys were moving they'd have to worry about near constant swarms of drones overhead without knowing which ones were threats. Yeah probably any random drone would do for that purpose.

Slo-Tek posted:

The warhead isn't the expensive part. And money is no practical object. If you are carrying it around, you'd want it to blow poo poo up. Off-the-shelf recon drones have way better range and loiter, and are reusable.

Gotcha that's understandable. Seems like Ukraine is already using drones to spectacular effect but seems like they aren't advertising that too much, probably don't want to give away too much about their tactics or risk Russia changing convoy strategies to avoid being wrecked so often.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I like this guy.

https://twitter.com/jmvasquez1974/status/1512470188322611207?s=21&t=hZSFiZw-bHMNrXAt8Id2kg

Taerkar
Dec 7, 2002

kind of into it, really

Ah but you see sending funds to help Ukraine via crypto is better than FIAT CURRENCY because it's more real and finite.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Hyrax Attack! posted:

Turkey's handling that apparently - baby bayraktars already spotted in Ukraine
https://twitter.com/kemal_115/status/1512437004419670033?s=20&t=gPGK-5k_ISa_5rhqPd2gsw
Apparently the video of the drone following a soldier back to his unit was taken by one of these.

Article: https://www.oryxspioenkop.com/2022/04/new-bayraktar-uavs-spotted-in-ukraine.html

quote:

Though the Mini Bayraktar is visually much less glamorous than its larger UCAV brethren, being a hand-launched design optimised for surveillance and reconnaissance, it is precisely this type of design that can prove invaluable in improving the combat efficacy of ordinary infantry units. Furthermore, the Mini Bayraktar was continuously improved since its inception, with the newest D variant featuring a communication range of 15 kilometres, around 80 minutes of endurance and a maximum altitude of some 1200 metres. [3]
:eyepop:

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

KitConstantine posted:

Turkey's handling that apparently - baby bayraktars already spotted in Ukraine

One of the subtexts to US support and the Switchblades specifically that isn't getting a lot of play is that there's absolutely a market competition going on where Turkey is showing off how useful their drones are and I'm positive that US weapons companies are demanding a chance to show off US drones as a part of it.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Doesn't the switchblade launch from a mortar tube?

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

I enlisted in the Reagan 80s and we trained expecting to get squashed by the Soviets (I was in the 82nd). Now this...I have almost no words.

DekeThornton posted:

I doubt it. It was a corrupt dictatorship back then as well, with all the same flaws. Just with a different ideological coat of paint.

SMEGMA_MAIL posted:

Prior to the invasion I figured they were at least competent enough to not just fire shells for funsies into evacuation centers with zero military value

I swear to god I'm not a tankie, but what if... just what if... the entire threat of Russia was exaggerated just a teeny tiny bit for political and economic reasons to the benefit of Raytheon et al., and we didn't have to be this poo poo-scared of them the whole time because they were always this hollow

ChaseSP
Mar 25, 2013

The killing of civilians isn't out of rage, or not giving a gently caress, It's an intentional part of the plan to try and demoralize Ukraine as a whole. Local slaughters are to get locals to not resist and not get any funny business of opportunistic attacks. Same poo poo the Nazis or other lovely groups did.

KitConstantine
Jan 11, 2013

Notahippie posted:

One of the subtexts to US support and the Switchblades specifically that isn't getting a lot of play is that there's absolutely a market competition going on where Turkey is showing off how useful their drones are and I'm positive that US weapons companies are demanding a chance to show off US drones as a part of it.

speaking of countries using ukraine to show off their own special tech
https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512467036470976519?s=20&t=sONI81hY69h4XVroX11i-w
Starstreaks are genuinely important for Ukraine right now, but c'mon its definitely also for dickwaving purposes

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Kesper North posted:

I swear to god I'm not a tankie, but what if... just what if... the entire threat of Russia was exaggerated just a teeny tiny bit for political and economic reasons to the benefit of Raytheon et al., and we didn't have to be this poo poo-scared of them the whole time because they were always this hollow

They were, demonstrably, pretty capable circa 1945. The question is, when did they degrade to the poo poo show we see today?

Alchenar
Apr 9, 2008

Kesper North posted:

You should go over to Ukraine and tell them that Russia is a paper tiger and their war isn't such a big deal.

e: like Russia is six weeks into launching the largest conventional war seen in Europe in decades, 'hey they probably aren't a real threat to anyone' is not the take.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Flikken posted:

Or search and rescue ships after climate change ramps up storms on the Great Lakes. Does the coast guard operate anything big on the Great Lakes?

You’ll need another ship to rescue them after they break down going above idle speed.

Their best use is target practice. Being aluminum they wouldn’t even be very useful for fire fighting training.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Kesper North posted:

The bomber gap and missile gaps were 100% this, their conventional capability I think is more of a surprise. That being said I’m sure some people figured it out when they started paying soldiers in potatoes and such.