Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
I love Big Mouth but found Human Resources slightly worse than mediocre and do not think it's worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoot
Jun 8, 2006

danger lurks everywhere

God Hole posted:

I'm still partial to Valhalla Rising

I really liked Bleeder, another early Mads role. Not watched it in a while, so may not hold up. It's pretty bleak though.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Papercut posted:

I love Big Mouth but found Human Resources slightly worse than mediocre and do not think it's worth watching.

About the most you can say for it is that it gets a fair bit better once they move past the new mom storyline. That one just didn't have much going for it and it's a shame that it's such a big plot point. In general, I'm not sure why they decided to make the Love Bugs such a focus when by design their plots and conflicts aren't really "funny."

Parakeet vs. Phone fucked around with this message at 10:57 on Apr 8, 2022

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist

Martman posted:

I'm amazed that Big Mouth has managed to inspire a spin-off series (Human Resources), and it seems... I dunno, it seems fine, if you loved Big Mouth I think it'll be worth watching. Mostly I wanted to open up a can of worms because it had a hilarious but potentially problematic background joke. One of the characters, Pete the Logic Rock, has an autographed photo of a big muscly brown bald man that says "Pete, you're MY Rock", signed obviously "Dwayne" although it's scribbled. Is The Rock being gay such an open secret these days that it's just part of the conversation of shows and stuff? I've always heard rumors and as a "blink and you'll miss it" gag I found that hilarious, but then I was like "hmm..."

I feel you're really reaching to make this a gay joke. :confused: That's a pretty standard autograph pun (like, even if Pete wasn't a rock, I'm positive that Dwayne's written that at least once in his career). Plus, maybe it's literal--that Pete is his logic rock.

Even if you take it as a personal statement and not just an impersonal celebrity autograph, lol at your life if you see an appreciation for emotional support from one male to another and think "gaaay!" Also, Pete's character is written as straight, so it doesn't even make sense as a gay joke unless you think straight guys walk around with expressions of romantic love from the gay people in their life.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

I think I've just been around some friends who have been 100% convinced that he's gay for a long time so maybe I am too accustomed to jokes like that. Saying someone is "your rock" would be pretty intense platonically though lol

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Only watched the first episode but Tokyo Vice is pretty cool so far. I'm not sure if Michael Mann only directed the first episode but it's got his touch and I'm definitely excited to watch more.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Severance season finale was amazing, but certain posters will most definitely melt down after watching it.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

volts5000 posted:

Just finished the Dropout. I saw earlier posts about it being too charitable to Holmes. Trust me, the last few episodes (especially the final scene) show just how empty and psychotic she is.

I agree with this. I suppose you have to show how she was before and be somewhat charitable to her so the decline and insanity really hits. Amanda Seyfried did a really good job.

Just lol at George Shultz though what a dumb bastard.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
the Severance finale was intense and ends on a massive cliffhanger. Adjust your expectations accordingly. It's huge progress for the story but does not answer everything.

So many great moments that were well earned, though. I especially loved how innie Mark considers his real brother in law to be a visionary and his brother in law was super confused

Glottis fucked around with this message at 17:34 on Apr 8, 2022

SLOSifl
Aug 10, 2002

Glottis posted:

the Severance finale was intense and ends on a massive cliffhanger. Adjust your expectations accordingly.
Goddamn, it was so good.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

George H.W. oval office posted:

Just lol at George Shultz though what a dumb bastard.

His statement about Tyler was incredibly terrible too:

quote:

"The members of our family work to be loyal and supportive to one another and to the best of America’s values. Most have inspired others to listen to their better angels; and some have shown tremendous courage and integrity when faced with difficult decisions or situations. Tyler’s handling of the troubling practices he identified at Theranos is an example. He did not shrink from what he saw as his responsibility to the truth and patient safety, even when he felt personally threatened and believed that I had placed allegiance to the company over allegiance to higher values and our family. I have learned -- from my experiences beginning in World War II, in private industry, and in the various public service positions I have been privileged to fill – that the people in the field are closest to the issues and are the best sources of wisdom whenever a problem arises. That was certainly the case here. Tyler navigated a very complex situation in ways that made me proud. He has been an example for the entire family, for which all of us are grateful. I want to recognize and congratulate Tyler for his great moral character."

"He was so brave when I disowned him and destroyed my family and when I tried to blindside him with lawyers to shut him up. But I wasn't wrong and I'm not sorry."

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Martman posted:

I'm amazed that Big Mouth has managed to inspire a spin-off series (Human Resources), and it seems... I dunno, it seems fine, if you loved Big Mouth I think it'll be worth watching. Mostly I wanted to open up a can of worms because it had a hilarious but potentially problematic background joke. One of the characters, Pete the Logic Rock, has an autographed photo of a big muscly brown bald man that says "Pete, you're MY Rock", signed obviously "Dwayne" although it's scribbled. Is The Rock being gay such an open secret these days that it's just part of the conversation of shows and stuff? I've always heard rumors and as a "blink and you'll miss it" gag I found that hilarious, but then I was like "hmm..."

It’s honestly pretty weird that you’d reach that hard to try to turn that into a gay joke.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

"Five Easy Pieces" is on now HBO Max. I've never been particularly intrigued by the description of this movie but it is highly rated and I think jack even got an oscar? Basically should I watch it

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

"Five Easy Pieces" is on now HBO Max. I've never been particularly intrigued by the description of this movie but it is highly rated and I think jack even got an oscar? Basically should I watch it

He got a nomination.

It’s really good and one of those ‘important’ American films.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

There's a Japanese show on Netflix called Old Enough where kids run errands by themselves while a narrator makes fun of them.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Inspector Hound posted:

There's a Japanese show on Netflix called Old Enough where kids run errands by themselves while a narrator makes fun of them.

I've been watching this and it's hilarious lol. The kids are toddlers, first one ended up having snot dripping out his nose by the time he made it back home from his errand. Thanks Netflix.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Glottis posted:

the Severance finale was intense and ends on a massive cliffhanger

Thank you so much for letting me know not to watch it. I'm not being sarcastic I'm really actually grateful.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The best Jack Nicholson movie. He peaked right at the beginning of his career. It drags a little in the middle. But it's definitely worthwhile. Thank you for letting me know it's on HBO!

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i watched the Canadian version of Last One Laughing on Prime. it's basically that japanese show where they try to make each other laugh while they're quarantined in a room for many hours. apparently they do a show like that in every country and i had no idea

anyway the Canadian one has Jay Baruchel hosting and the contestants are a good bad, you got Tom Green and Colin Mockery and various other Canadians so it's pretty okay stuff

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Anybody checked out Tokyo vice yet?

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

precision posted:

i watched the Canadian version of Last One Laughing on Prime. it's basically that japanese show where they try to make each other laugh while they're quarantined in a room for many hours. apparently they do a show like that in every country and i had no idea

anyway the Canadian one has Jay Baruchel hosting and the contestants are a good bad, you got Tom Green and Colin Mockery and various other Canadians so it's pretty okay stuff

I watched that about a month ago. It’s worth the quick watch.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

People were praising it earlier.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Better call Saul is stressful to watch not because of the cartel poo poo, but because it’s like watching this dude who won the jackpot in the girlfriend lottery almost ruin it every week because he is a weirdo

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

the Severance finale was intense and ends on a massive cliffhanger. Adjust your expectations accordingly. It's huge progress for the story but does not answer everything.

So many great moments that were well earned, though. I especially loved how innie Mark considers his real brother in law to be a visionary and his brother in law was super confused

It really didn't advance the story from the cliffhanger from the previous episode. It was a very good hour of TV though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

drat Billions is loving stupid but it's fun. Like eating a whole bag of Haribo starmix in one sitting.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

Better call Saul is stressful to watch not because of the cartel poo poo, but because it’s like watching this dude who won the jackpot in the girlfriend lottery almost ruin it every week because he is a weirdo

I am, like every other BCS fan, just absolutely dreading the moment in the new season when Kim dies.

Do I really have to use spoiler text if it's just my personal, unsourced, dread-filled speculation?

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I watched and enjoyed the first three episodes. The ending of the third definitely makes me want to keep watching.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

The pilot was maybe my least favorite of the three episodes; each are solid but the show finds its groove in the second episode for sure and I think anybody giving the show a try should at least finish that before deciding whether or not to stick with it. Watanabe's pretty good so far but I'm most interested in what's next for Sho Kasamatsu (Sato of the Chihara-kai family)

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

Severance was ducking awesome

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!
Winning Time is pretty uneven but it's kinda worth it just for Adrien Brody playing Pay Riley.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Chris James 2 posted:

The pilot was maybe my least favorite of the three episodes; each are solid but the show finds its groove in the second episode for sure and I think anybody giving the show a try should at least finish that before deciding whether or not to stick with it. Watanabe's pretty good so far but I'm most interested in what's next for Sho Kasamatsu (Sato of the Chihara-kai family)

It was lacking those big name overlays that are in the Yakuza games, though

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
while Severence did indeed end on a banger of a cliffhanger, it also did WAY more with a certain thing than everyone was expecting, so it was very satisfying. basically everyone was expecting something to last like 5 seconds and instead it was the entire finale

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

Yeah.

In a different but similar way that Uncut Gems stressed me out.

Just watching people make a series of bad decisions with inevitable results and realizing you're cheering for the show/movie to not do what you know it's going to do to the character.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

precision posted:

while Severence did indeed end on a banger of a cliffhanger, it also did WAY more with a certain thing than everyone was expecting, so it was very satisfying. basically everyone was expecting something to last like 5 seconds and instead it was the entire finale

Someone has to take a stand against cliffhangers, no matter how stupid and pointless their stance is, and that person is me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Tune in later to see how my cliffhanger boycott goes

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

I am, like every other BCS fan, just absolutely dreading the moment in the new season when Kim dies.

Do I really have to use spoiler text if it's just my personal, unsourced, dread-filled speculation?

There’s no way this happens. What’s far more likely is that Jimmy/Saul finally pushes his gimmick too far, they break up, and she puts distance between them. That opens it up for her to defend him in court in the modern day finale when he inevitably gets caught and shipped back to ABQ for his trial.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Teriyaki Hairpiece posted:

Tune in later to see how my cliffhanger boycott goes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zlcmdx3MF6I

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

Big Mean Jerk posted:

There’s no way this happens. What’s far more likely is that Jimmy/Saul finally pushes his gimmick too far, they break up, and she puts distance between them. That opens it up for her to defend him in court in the modern day finale when he inevitably gets caught and shipped back to ABQ for his trial.

I like this better

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

It’s really loving good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

the white boy in tokyo vice is a fuckin dweeb