Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

details vary behind the scenes (selecting a bargaining committee on union side, etc) but as far as the law is concerned, both sides must negotiate a contract in good faith. attorneys from both sides get together and schedule proper bargaining sessions, and you hashbit out. larger unions will begin with boilerplate stuff (grievance and arbitration, recognition, etc) but everything is up in the air

management is required by the NLRB to negotiate wages, benefits, and working conditions; what ‘working conditions’ entails can be contentious, but it’s fairly broad.

… both sides have one year from certification to come to a contract before the union can be ‘decertified’ by the bargaining unit (the workers) vis a simple majority vote. however contract negotiations can go on as long as necessary. first contract negotiations can sometimes take more than a year. largely depends upon how combative management wants to be

union busting can enter a whole new phase with contract negotiations, as you might imagine, and it can be successful. about half of new bargaining units never get a first contract.

organizing and getting a union is hard. getting a first contract is harder.

best thing we’ve ever done at my workplace, though

Oh wow. That is a lot more than I thought it was going to be

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it’s all about getting that collective bargaining agreement and no longer being at-will employees. then you have dignity at work, the ability to speak up about things without fear of being fired for a bullshit reason. then you have the support of your coworkers, and you can all speak with one voice, instead of being siloed into ‘private’ conversations with HR so they can lie to each of you individually

as soon as management knows you’re all talking to one another, they know there’s trouble

that trouble becomes power when you have a union

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

PostNouveau posted:

Oh wow. That is a lot more than I thought it was going to be

after the contract is signed too management will figure out ways to not abide by it, so you still have retain organizational strength and make sure you have reps and shop stewards who will fight for grievance claims and ensure the contract is enforced. then it all happens again in 2-5 years, depending on the length of the contract you agreed to. winning a union vote is like step -1, and companies most often (especially larger ones with functionally limitless resources and 8 figure profits) never, ever stop trying to fight a union.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

agreedo, still dealing with lovely management now: just getting paid better while I do.

a union is a living thing, not a one and done victory

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

In Training posted:

after the contract is signed too management will figure out ways to not abide by it, so you still have retain organizational strength and make sure you have reps and shop stewards who will fight for grievance claims and ensure the contract is enforced. then it all happens again in 2-5 years, depending on the length of the contract you agreed to. winning a union vote is like step -1, and companies most often (especially larger ones with functionally limitless resources and 8 figure profits) never, ever stop trying to fight a union.

Requiring management comply with the contract is the never ending battle, and the responsibility of everyone in the bargaining unit. it requires constant vigilance to not lose what you’ve fought for.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
Are there any examples of owners that have an amicable relationship with the unions that they work with? I understand that their class interests are diametrically opposed, and that probably answers that question, but it just seems like if you were trying to run a successful business there's actually a lot of things that unions bring to the table that would make that easier to do?

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

christmas boots posted:

Are there any examples of owners that have an amicable relationship with the unions that they work with? I understand that their class interests are diametrically opposed, and that probably answers that question, but it just seems like if you were trying to run a successful business there's actually a lot of things that unions bring to the table that would make that easier to do?
a lot of construction companies like the work arrangement of unions having the burden of assigning work to different companies (I am not an expert on this though)

one of the reasons the raiders stadium in Vegas got a ton of public funding is that the laborers union lobbied heavily in favor of it alongside the bosses. this is the really bad side of corporations not being opposed to the unions, it goes both ways~

Hollywood and actors/directors/producers I think?

the NBA worked really closely with NBPA over the bubble

back before it was AT&T, Cingular voluntarily recognized 15k employees as CWA, which is unheard of these days. I think AT&T is a really tough negotiator but they’re not viciously anti-union that I saw unlike Verizon, even when we were on strike. I was talking with the union officer whose day job is at AT&T and they’re constantly promoting her best union activists into management and have offered her a promotion countless times. which, maybe that undermines the union a little, but in a much more subtle way than most.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

christmas boots posted:

I can't find it now, but I remember hearing about a European company from a highly unionized country that purchased a U.S. company for its manufacturing plant, and then were all pissed off and confused when the leaders came to the U.S. and did not have a union to help them with worker logistics. I thought it was Volkswagen in Tennessee, but googling says VW has been very happy to crush unions there as much as they can.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

it’s possible to have an amicable relationship

but my contention is that if management is happy and comfortable, the union isn’t demanding enough

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

I mean that’s how they treat us

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

it’s possible to have an amicable relationship

but my contention is that if management is happy and comfortable, the union isn’t demanding enough

Much like buying or selling a used car, the best deal for everyone involved is when everyone shakes hands and walks away feeling just a little dissatisfied.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

nah gently caress that, I want management begging and sweating that people even came back to work

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

christmas boots posted:

Places in Europe where unionization is much more ingrained and affects the majority of the workforce often have shared governance models where unions have seats on the board and so on, and the relationship tends to be more amicable despite the opposed interests, if only because the unions are seen as an inevitable part of doing business rather than something that can always be crushed and destroyed. If you go into business decisions with the foundational assumption that your workers will be unionized rather than the foundational assumption that it's possible to have an entirely un-unionized workforce if you either crush unionization efforts or destroy existing unions, it leads to a different relationship between labour and capital even though labour and capital remain opposed aspects of the business.

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

PostNouveau posted:

I thought it was Volkswagen in Tennessee, but googling says VW has been very happy to crush unions there as much as they can.

IIRC VW was acting pretty amicably toward the workers there initially, even offering to hook them up with their union reps in Germany for advice. Then the Republican politicians in Tennessee threatened to pull some tax incentives or something that they were getting if they didn't bust the union.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://twitter.com/jordanzakarin/status/1512919509690163211

Madison rocks

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

lol he ran for president

Hulk Krogan
Mar 25, 2005

theflyingexecutive posted:

lol he ran for president

He was (rumored to be) Clinton's pick for Secretary of Labor!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/SBWorkersUnited/status/1513639024971427843

200 drat stores! 18 have already won!

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
check us out!!!

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1513901538422493188

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011
hell yeah gently caress em up kingcobweb ✊🏼

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Badass, keep up the good work.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

Fats Dominar is on the case

owners of city feed and supply, a crunchy local cafe/grocery store with locations in the lefties parts of boston, refused to voluntarily recognize their union. not sure what their endgame is, since every most other indie coffeehouses in the city are union and even two of our Starbucks are unionized. way to torpedo your brand, guys.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

owners of city feed and supply, a crunchy local cafe/grocery store with locations in the lefties parts of boston, refused to voluntarily recognize their union. not sure what their endgame is, since every most other indie coffeehouses in the city are union and even two of our Starbucks are unionized. way to torpedo your brand, guys.

Their endgame is power over their labor force.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

no poo poo, I mean do they expect to win an NLRB election? and post election do they think they will be in a better position vis a vis their union by antagonizing them now?

Agean90
Jun 28, 2008

They don't expect anything, all business owners are pissant tyrants who will burn any amount of money to run their business their way. They're like amoebas, they're a no thought to why they're doing what they do, they just react to stimuli and whine when the suffer the consequences of it.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

they probably just think they can outlast this wave of unionization, not the dumbest bet its been pretty valid historically though not one i'd take personally in the current situation

lmao hell yeah

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
wrt corporations who aren’t viciously anti-union:

https://twitter.com/MorePerfectUS/status/1514312921848889345

ekuNNN
Nov 27, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:hmmyes:

Jeff the Mediocre
Dec 30, 2013

The grad students at Indiana University are on strike, which is pretty cool. I'm sure the admin will start threatening the visas of international students soon.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
two starbucks stores on strike in seattle!

https://twitter.com/VentiSolidarity/status/1514991187219947525

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005
https://twitter.com/VzwUnion/status/1515062022404075520

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

:woop:

Tom Smykowski
Jan 27, 2005

What the hell is wrong with you people?
gently caress ya

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

Lots of successes lately.

DAD LOST MY IPOD
Feb 3, 2012

hell yeah man

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

SKULL.GIF posted:

Lots of successes lately.

I think we're starting to reach a critical mass of people in the work force that haven't been poisoned by anti-union propaganda and see the "hustle" life as the bullshit it is.

TheSlutPit
Dec 26, 2009

Alkydere posted:

I think we're starting to reach a critical mass of people in the work force that haven't been poisoned by anti-union propaganda and see the "hustle" life as the bullshit it is.

It also turns out that when management complains about not being able to hire people, the existing workers start to realize they may not be as replaceable as theyve been told.

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Also COVID made every job dangerous and inflation means you need to get a raise...lots of material conditions inflecting in a very short time

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Hell yeah, well done

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pentecoastal Elites
Feb 27, 2007

In Training posted:

Also COVID made every job dangerous and inflation means you need to get a raise...lots of material conditions inflecting in a very short time

I think the COVID-era lip service to "essential workers" has caused a lot of people to start thinking differently about who needs who in terms of workers and bosses