Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Woke up this morning, got yourself a deck
Your papa never told you about modern tech

TotalHell posted:

You come into my house, on the day my ‘Walker is to ignite, and you ask me to cast Murder, for 1BB.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

"Just when I think I'm out, THEY FLICKER ME BACK INTO PLAY!"

lol

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

3 CMC is a lot but this guy seems nuts in Najeela CEDH decks.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde
"one or more" means only one treasure per opponent right?

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Bugsy posted:

"one or more" means only one treasure per opponent right?

ya

Mike N Eich
Jan 27, 2007

This might just be the year
I think the 'steal an opponents card' effect worked very well with Robber of the Rich, it didn't let you play lands and it often hit a card that didn't really help your gameplan but it was a great way to get some card advantage for Red without being overpowered.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

fair enough. I'd be happy if they just keyworded "exile the top card of target opponent's library. For as long as it remains exiled, you may cast it and you may spend mana as though it were any color to cast it." devoting so much real estate to an effect that is no longer novel seems like a waste.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Just keyword it as Gonti.

Gonti one of the top 4 cards of your opponents library.

Your opponent reveals their hand and you Gonti a card out of it.

Tom Clancy is Dead
Jul 13, 2011

kalel posted:

fair enough. I'd be happy if they just keyworded "exile the top card of target opponent's library. For as long as it remains exiled, you may cast it and you may spend mana as though it were any color to cast it." devoting so much real estate to an effect that is no longer novel seems like a waste.

This I agree with.

Facebreaker seems strong to me. Mana + CA is a powerful combo.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Oooh, this looks strong.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013

kalel posted:

There are multiple variations of the wording including: is the card face up or face down, can you play lands, can you still play the card if ~ leaves the battlefield

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

kalel posted:

I think part of the problem is they do a bunch of different variations on the same effect (no mana washing, limited to casting while an effect is active or until end of turn, the types of cards you can play off the effect, where you get the card from, etc) that it doesn’t save them that much in the long run.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

There are multiple variations of the wording including: is the card face up or face down, can you play lands, can you still play the card if ~ leaves the battlefield

that doesn't preclude the possibility of keywording the most common variant. how much design space are you really sacrificing by turning [steal-opponent-cards-final-draft_REVISION3 (2).txt] into "Gonti X" and porting some of the designs you have in the queue over to it? You can even open up design space by doing so, and you can still just write it or any other variant out in the future anyway (see surveil). They'd probably have to do it in a non-standard set because making that into a limited archetype might cause problems, but it could be done

is not keywording it worth the constant disappointment of seeing a new card with lots of text, only for 2/3s of it to be that god forsaken hack job of an ability

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's like when they keyworded ward and the only previous card that actually worked the exact same way was Frost Titan (but they didn't change it anyway)

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Kiki-Jiki, the Face Breaker deck... i will make it

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
"When ~ or another Vampire enters the battlefield under your control, take hostage the top card of each player's library"

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Exiling cards from the top of an opponent's library to play is annoying as heck and it's weird there are cards like every set that are doing it.

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
It's funny because it's generally worse than just drawing a card but it has "cool factor" that makes it seem better

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Do they actually do one type of the effect substantially more than the others? I feel like it's more diverse than people think.

Gonti is top 4, any card, and washes the mana.
Ragavan is top card, no lands, doesn't wash, expires.
Opposition Agent is whatever matches the parameter of their tutor, doesn't expire, washes.
Pako and Haldan requires fetch counters and is non-creature only and also hits your library.
You Find some Prisoners is pick from top 3, expires, washes.
Grenzo is top card, washes, expires.

Like, how many cards just straight up Gonti? It seems low.

Even if they do technically save some space by keywording the top card, they're going to have to have reminder on some percentage of those cards anyway. I don't think it's as much of a space/brain saver as you'd think.

fadam fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Apr 8, 2022

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Owlbear Camus posted:

Just keyword it as Gonti.

Gonti one of the top 4 cards of your opponents library.

Your opponent reveals their hand and you Gonti a card out of it.

It would be thematic too, like John Gonti, the mob boss!::v:

One thing I noticed about the new common fetches is that since they don't tap to sacrifice, if you have an active World Tree or Urborg or Yavimaya, you can tap the fetch for mana before it sacrifices itself!

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

now give me an army of the damned reprint

Barry Shitpeas
Dec 17, 2003

there is no need
to be upset

Winner POTM July 2013
Anyway, maybe I don't "get" Commander but what exactly is the appeal of this card? It doesn't do anything for you, it's just "let's you and him fight" over and over until you only have 1 opponent left and whoops now it's actively bad

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Anyway, maybe I don't "get" Commander but what exactly is the appeal of this card? It doesn't do anything for you, it's just "let's you and him fight" over and over until you only have 1 opponent left and whoops now it's actively bad

There's a substantial amount of Commander players who actively have zero interest in playing good cards or ending a game before the half hour mark.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Not bad actually

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Goad, unlike provoke, means the creature has to attack someone else. Tapping it also removes a blocker.

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Not bad actually

Interesting. Usually, cheap counterspells that let your opponent pay mana are good in the early game, and played by tempo decks, but this lets you sacrifice some of your tempo to make really sure that a spell doesn't resolve. So I guess if you haven't won on turn 5, and your opponent has doomskar with 2 extra mana open you probably have at least 1 extra guy you can still win without.
Or I guess control decks could use it and sacrifice the various 1/1 tokens they generate from like, castle ardenvale or something.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Looks like th only rigging here was the weight class. Missed art opportunity

A Moose
Oct 22, 2009

Barry Shitpeas posted:

Usually, while you're letting everyone draw cards, and hitting someone with someone else's creatures, you're buying yourself breathing room to set up a combo or lock or something.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

ilmucche posted:

Exiling cards from the top of an opponent's library to play is annoying as heck and it's weird there are cards like every set that are doing it.

It really is their new favourite thing. The "you may cast it, and you may pay mana of any colour to do so." Is really clunky and is begging for a keyword shortcut at this point.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Barry Shitpeas posted:

The archetype is called group hug and its actively the worst poo poo in the world bc nobody who plays it bothers putting a wincon in thier deck so the game doesnt last 4 hours

Fucker
Jan 4, 2013

Fucker posted:

this set will have the most multi colored spells and fixing of the past 5 years (in terms of standard sets, at least) and it wont be close imo

feeling good ab this prediction

uggy
Aug 6, 2006

Posting is SERIOUS BUSINESS
and I am completely joyless

Don't make me judge you
lotta big butts in this format

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

mandatory lesbian posted:

The archetype is called group hug and its actively the worst poo poo in the world bc nobody who plays it bothers putting a wincon in thier deck so the game doesnt last 4 hours

is this really a group hug card? you put the shield counter on another player's card, they have to tap it so you can swing at them. then on their turn. that creature with a shield counter has to attack someone else. since it has a shield counter it won't die when it has to attack another player. so basically you're causing issues for at least two other players in the game.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

I simply choose not to play commander

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Strong Sauce posted:

is this really a group hug card? you put the shield counter on another player's card, they have to tap it so you can swing at them. then on their turn. that creature with a shield counter has to attack someone else. since it has a shield counter it won't die when it has to attack another player. so basically you're causing issues for at least two other players in the game.

IDK if it's Group Hug or Group Slug or Group Snug or what but it's a 4 CMC card that barely does anything in a format filled with the most powerful cards ever printed in Magic the Gathering. You're not putting this in a deck if winning is one of your top five priorities.

TotalHell
Feb 22, 2005

Roman Reigns fights CM Punk in fantasy warld. Lotsa violins, so littl kids cant red it.

Pablo Nergigante posted:

Wow hosed up I used to respect u

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Pablo Nergigante posted:

this

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

fadam posted:

IDK if it's Group Hug or Group Slug or Group Snug or what but it's a 4 CMC card that barely does anything in a format filled with the most powerful cards ever printed in Magic the Gathering. You're not putting this in a deck if winning is one of your top five priorities.
yeah its not powerful but it also doesn't seem like it'll stall the board or anything. i'm not a commander expert though

apparently from precon?

quote:

Rain of Riches 3R

Enchantment

When Rain of Riches enters the battlefield, create two Treasure tokens.

The first spell you cast each turn has cascade if mana from a Treasure was spent to cast it.

Dig up the corpse

Instant

Casualty 1

Mill 2 then return a creature card from your graveyard to your hand..

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

TotalHell posted:

Wow hosed up I used to respect u

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fLrpBLDWyCI

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

A Moose posted:

One thing I noticed about the new common fetches is that since they don't tap to sacrifice, if you have an active World Tree or Urborg or Yavimaya, you can tap the fetch for mana before it sacrifices itself!

lol that's cool