Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

christmas boots posted:

lol ok no need to get mad about it

Nah I just wanted to write about some cool bits of neurochemistry but instead everyone jumped up and down at me ignoring the exact thing I made clear I wasn't going to broach in my post. Like almost half a page of people just fuckin loling at me because they're idiots ig.

Would be nice if someone engaged with literally anything else I wrote except the bits that they look at simply to dunk on me, but I will admit that you are all children and you simply love to Dunk. And I guess I do look much like an oreo........

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

alexandriao posted:

Sorry next time I'll put "in the US and in Western countries" despite the fact americans do this poo poo all the time with their language and culture lmao

You're posting on this website in 2022, it's vastly more likely to get "AS A BIG DUMB US-MURRICAN WHO DON'T KNOW NOTHING HAHAH I'M ONE OF THE GOOD ONES RIGHT" whereas other people will be like "in my country (unspecified (the country is the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, or Denmark)) we..."

It's stupid on all sides. Also lmao, you do realize how condescending and poo poo you're being by assuming everyone knows what you're talking about as you complain about it? You are from an anglo country try harder. This is your native tongue. Step away from the keyboard and stop tut-tutting. Maybe look in a mirror or turn the monitor off. You're a concern-trolling rear end in a top hat who I'm glad is an ocean away.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
:munch:

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Tea is a signifier of class in wherever you're from.

Here in Australia it is but that's partly because coffee consumption has increased massively over the past century meaning that most tea drinkers (of which there are still a lot) tend to be older and therefore richer. A century ago tea was basically the only drink in town and everyone drank it.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Manager Hoyden posted:

There is very little better than warm cookie and cold milk

I think this might be the most popular opinion on earth come to think of it
There are probably billions of things better than that. Like, a cup of tea and no biscuit, just for example.

alexandriao posted:

Nah I just wanted to write about some cool bits of neurochemistry but instead everyone jumped up and down at me ignoring the exact thing I made clear I wasn't going to broach in my post. Like almost half a page of people just fuckin loling at me because they're idiots ig.
You literally said "Tea is something people drink now, because over time the higher classes used it as a way of communicating status." I think what you probably meant to say is that that's one of the major reasons that tea ever became as popular as it is now, but what it sounded like you were saying was "no one actually likes tea, people just drink it to seem fancy".

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I'm better than everyone else and I rarely drink tea, so it can't just be a class thing.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
In the UK thing, I feel like the tea thing has become inverted, with the middle-class liking their Tassimos and named coffees from coffee shops or young professionals on the go but a basic dark brown tea with sugar in a mug being the preserve of tradesman or with a bacon roll in a cheap cafe.

There are sleepy time teas and herbal teas and stuff, but I feel those are categorically different to a cup of Tetley with a splash of milk and one sugar in a Sports Direct mug.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
Drink a sleepytime tea in the morning to completely gently caress your day up

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018
Why drink tea when you can drink a hot toddy?

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

people started drinking tea because it tastes good

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

saying "gently caress" and "loving" every sentence makes you sound like an overly excitable buffoon

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Shibawanko posted:

saying "gently caress" and "loving" every sentence makes you sound like an overly excitable buffoon

guilty as fuckin charged

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I can't avoid doing it unless my mom is around. Then I'm physically incapable of swearint

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

guilty as fuckin charged

i catch myself saying it occasionally but i try not to

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Shibawanko posted:

Mine was an overcompensation/affectation in college after being raised in a repressive Christian household and it just stuck so now I swear a lot :smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

I will sit and watch the movie “Hudson Hawk” every time I catch it on tv and I make no apologies

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

You're posting on this website in 2022, it's vastly more likely to get "AS A BIG DUMB US-MURRICAN WHO DON'T KNOW NOTHING HAHAH I'M ONE OF THE GOOD ONES RIGHT" whereas other people will be like "in my country (unspecified (the country is the Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, or Denmark)) we..."

It's stupid on all sides. Also lmao, you do realize how condescending and poo poo you're being by assuming everyone knows what you're talking about as you complain about it? You are from an anglo country try harder. This is your native tongue. Step away from the keyboard and stop tut-tutting. Maybe look in a mirror or turn the monitor off. You're a concern-trolling rear end in a top hat who I'm glad is an ocean away.

In my experience, on a demographic level, Americans tend to be weird, sensitive, offended and aggressive about things that I would never pick as Big Deal topics, way more than people from other British colonised nations. I like a lot of individual seppos I meet outside the US, but generally I don’t think yuz realise just how odd you are to non-Americans.

Apologies to Edgar Allan Ho, I’ve quoted you but this isn’t really *at* you. I think you’ve said you were born/grew up/have family in France? Anyway, that’s my personally held unpopular opinion about American cultural domination on the internet I guess. You guys are by and large likeable, but you get weird about the damndest poo poo.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Yes my family is french and I lived there for a while. I think americans absolutely do get that they're weird- there's extremely few people that aren't either american exceptionalists in Uncle Sam underwear, or the reverse where everything from the Assyrian Empire-present was somehow in service of Wall Street and planned by the CIA.

I would argue that that is actually untrue- weird compared to who? I also lived in Canada for years, and the québécois were the only people who knew I wasn't local without being told. We used to ask people to guess where I was from, and the most common answer was "Toronto?" Because americans and canadians are identical. Or have you talked to a russian recently? They are living on another plane of reality compared to NA/Anglosphere/Europe. And that's my nice family, not the ones emailing my wife Zwastika-laden diatribes about how she's a CIA homonazi slut on Joe Biden's payroll.

I think ultimately the US is most remarkable for being the large global superpower of our lifetimes, so it's impossible to escape american crap, especially in the anglosphere. That's why people say "americans be like this. Having three religions, four languages, and five nationalities in my home- people are pretty much the same everywhere. I'm not trying to act like I'm some all-knowing cosmopolitan- I know I'm a dumbass. But like, even among other americans, I get things like my coworker seeing me studying kazakh on my lunch break and acting like it's this superhuman feat that no normal american could ever do, because americans are dumb and so goddam crazy. How many languages do you even speak Edgar you're so smart?! Lmfao no. I pick up kazakh because two people I love live with me and speak kazakh to each other. No other way I would ever be able to do it. You would pick it up too if you had a reason.

I'll have a baconator with waffle fries and a large chocolate frostie, thanks.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

I think all people are just about the same wherever you are (except scandinavians)

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Old people shouldn't be respected for getting old anymore.

Respect Your Elders are from the days of constant war, famine and animal attacks.

All you have to do to hit fifty in the past half century for a lot of places not walk in front of traffic.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Shithouse Dave posted:

You guys are by and large likeable, but you get weird about the damndest poo poo.

you just made a posting enemy for life

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guyver posted:

Old people shouldn't be respected for getting old anymore.

Respect Your Elders are from the days of constant war, famine and animal attacks.

All you have to do to hit fifty in the past half century for a lot of places not walk in front of traffic.

The wisdom in respecting the elderly, who are all horrible people, is that you will be a horrible elderly person one day, OP.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦

Shithouse Dave posted:

You guys are by and large likeable, but you get weird about the damndest poo poo.

At first I read this as "you guys are big and large but likable". :derp: :clint: :clint: :classiclol:

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider

Manager Hoyden posted:

I think all people are just about the same wherever you are (except scandinavians)

rip to the nords but im different

Aramek
Dec 22, 2007

Cutest tumor in all of Oncology!
I like soft, floppy bacon more than crispy, turgid bacon.

Robobot
Aug 21, 2018

Aramek posted:

I like soft, floppy bacon more than crispy, turgid bacon.

+1

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Crispy, like hard, bacon, is terrible. Bacon should be floppy and served with eggs cooked in the bacon grease. Just a pile of eggs and fat.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
i used to like bacon but something swiched a few years ago and now i don't enjoy it at all. to the point where i'd rate blood sausage higher than bacon (not by much but still)

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

super crispy, almost burned, cremate it

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Gaius Marius posted:

I can't avoid doing it unless my mom is around. Then I'm physically incapable of swearint

Seriously I couldn't even mention Schitt's Creek

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Strange. I had no problem swearing around any of your mothers.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
There is a perfect moment for bacon where the edges are crisped up to the point of perfection and the inside still has enough give to be floppy/almost gelatinous. The meat parts are crispy and the fat parts are almost liquid.

You can generally achieve this much easier with the oven cooking method of cooking bacon.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Bacon should be cooked to the application.

Crispy bacon is for when you use it as an edible utensil with stuff like fried eggs or pancakes. Like toast bet better.

Softer bacon is when it's directly part of the meal like with scrambled eggs or biscuits and gravy. Like toast but better.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Potatoes are a better use for bacon fat then eggs

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I learned to swear from my mother, so it wasn't until I went to school that I learned to say "gently caress" (well, the equivalent).

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I learned to swear from my mother, so it wasn't until I went to school that I learned to say "gently caress" (well, the equivalent).

That's so weird, because I learned to swear from your mother, and "gently caress" was the first thing she taught me.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

SodomyGoat101 posted:

That's so weird, because I learned to swear from your mother, and "gently caress" was the first thing she taught me.

Did you have a speech impediment?

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

SodomyGoat101 posted:

Women have a tendency to say "gently caress" when they see your face.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I mean I get what you're going for here but implying that you were loving his mother before you developed a basic vocabulary isn't getting that insult where you wanted it to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I'm sorry that their mother verbally assaulted you when you were a minor :smith: