Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Galewolf
Jan 9, 2007

The human gallbladder is indeed a puzzle!

What an absolute GOAT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Bust Rodd posted:

Mike, Rich, and Jay really do not at all strike me as people who hang out in film subreddits and they absolutely do not strike me as people who seek out hot topic Hollywood drama to weigh in on it. The evidence I have for this is “literally their entire body of work”. In general, they don’t seem that “online”.

This is what I like most about them. They never stop in the middle and say smash the subscribe button, they don't get caught up in twitter/youtube beef, they rarely have hot takes on recent topics. Just a bunch of dudes chilling, watching bad movies and making auto erotic asphyxiation jokes.

Uh hey Simpsons, Marvel already did it. It's a little late to jump on the openly deaf actor train. I haven't watched almost 10 years, is Apu back or is he still cancelled?
https://twitter.com/Variety/status/1512126149387862019

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
watched The Pattman and enjoyed it for the most part

notes:
-the "evil car waking up" scene was excellent
-the makeup on Colin Farrell for the Penguin character was really good
-looks like they actually did a lot of stunt and practical effects work so hell yeah on that
-after the movie is done being Se7en and we launch into a whole other big action act I was kinda like "ehhhhhh" but perhaps only because the movie is so long already
-on that note there had to be someplace to trim some fat to get the runtime down, mercy
-lotta silly accents in this movie and I loved that

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

I hate the character of Lisa Simpson so much

She’s just the mouthpiece for 23 year old Harvard grads in their first screenwriting job who want to talk down to the audience

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

the Penguin makeup in the film is incredible, I've had a few people ask me who Colin Farrel even was in it because they didn't realise it was him

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

I have no idea who still watches the Simpsons. Like people who grew up with it (like us basically) don't care. Older people??? Kids??? The only reason I can think for it still going is that merchandising and brand names make Fox enough money to justify making a show nobody watches.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

Sydney Bottocks posted:

100% agree with Mikkelsen, Pattinson, and Olivier, method acting is the dumbest poo poo around

did succession claim mads was a method actor or something?

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

DaysBefore posted:

I have no idea who still watches the Simpsons. Like people who grew up with it (like us basically) don't care. Older people??? Kids??? The only reason I can think for it still going is that merchandising and brand names make Fox enough money to justify making a show nobody watches.

there's a lot of really dumb people out there who never noticed or cared about the quality drop, amazingly

like this quora responder:

quote:

I’ve never stopped watching and why would I? What kind of person calls themselves a ‘fan’ of a series and then quits, simply because it’s been on a long time or has changed some?

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

DaysBefore posted:

Does Simpsons merch even make that much money anymore? I know it was huge in the 90s, but uhh, it's 30 years later. It's been ages since I've seen anyone wear a "Don't Have A Cow, Man" shirt.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

poisonpill posted:

I hate the character of Lisa Simpson so much

She’s just the mouthpiece for 23 year old Harvard grads in their first screenwriting job who want to talk down to the audience

She's terrible and has been for a long time

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

AARD VARKMAN posted:

there's a lot of really dumb people out there who never noticed or cared about the quality drop, amazingly

It's like the people that didn't notice GoT dropped off a cliff after season 4 except stretched over two decades.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Eat my sharts

mallratcal
Sep 10, 2003

My love for Mads grows stronger.

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

That's silly. I hate the idea that being a fan implies any loyalty. Like I've bought the first 10 seasons of Simpsons as DVDs just so I can rip them with the commentary on my computer and I love them. But as much as I rewatch and love them doesn't mean I have to ever see anything they've done since 2000.

Same with Star Wars. I love the universe and I've played many of the games and I've read/listened to more EU books than I care to admit, but I can still hate most of Star Wars.

And I think RLM has had a healthy relationship to things they love, because they often freely love and poo poo on things at the same time.

If you feel like defending a pop culture franchise at any point you are too deep.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Kingo Ligma posted:

Dr No says he has artificial hands from radiation injuries but that's about it. Looking forward to Goldfinger next!

Both films were way less sexist then I expected, mostly because Sean Connery is also filmed like a bond girl.

luscious chest man-rugs should come back into fashion imo :colbert:

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

AARD VARKMAN posted:

gotta be turfed right? what real-life self-respecting human being would post that unironically?

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yNzWOAFhroQ
?

???

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

kalel posted:

gotta be turfed right? what real-life self-respecting human being would post that unironically?

I wish it was but I also know there are some incredibly weird people out there who probably get some kind of odd pride from sticking with a show that descends into garbage. And also remember Mike was surprised that S30 was actually pretty decent (I won't bother checking but still)

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Clear cadence. Perfect control. Consistent projection. Nearly no vibrato (which most singers waaay overdo). Perfect pitch. Effortless transition from pop vocalizing into a key change and then into jazz vocalizing. As the Borg queen would say...Perfect. Brava.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
i wonder how QT would slip n bombs into james bond?

maybe idris elba plays bond and he has to stop white extremists who call him slurs?

poisonpill
Nov 8, 2009

The only way to get huge fast is to insult a passing witch and hope she curses you with Beast-strength.

Sunk Dunk posted:

i wonder how QT would slip n bombs into james bond?

poisonpill posted:

Extreme late 60s/early 70s Lazenby Bond crossover with Emmanuelle, featuring Tarantino as Q

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Folks, Sonic 2 is going to win best picture

Crazy how this franchise is just back to back masterpieces, untouchable by the hoity toity bourgeois lunkheads at the Academy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Lisa stopped being good when she became the Brian Griffin of the Simpsons and they stopped making episodes pairing her with Homer. The Homer and Lisa episodes are usually excellent.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Your Gay Uncle posted:

This is what I like most about them. They never stop in the middle and say smash the subscribe button, they don't get caught up in twitter/youtube beef, they rarely have hot takes on recent topics. Just a bunch of dudes chilling, watching bad movies and making auto erotic asphyxiation jokes.

Uh hey Simpsons, Marvel already did it. It's a little late to jump on the openly deaf actor train. I haven't watched almost 10 years, is Apu back or is he still cancelled?

Wow, somebody missed their twitter beef with Shatner

Apu is still canceled. Hasn't been on the show for like 5 years at this point. They didn't even recast him with an Indian guy like how they recast Dr. Hibbert and Carl with black guys.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
Eternals did it

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!

Your Gay Uncle posted:

If only they could work their way into headlines by having good writing…

Edit: actually serious ASL question if anyone knows. Would it work well with only 4 fingers on each hand? I don’t know poo poo about the language so I’m genuinely curious whether that would be some kind of impedance or not

Gutcruncher fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Apr 8, 2022

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
https://twitter.com/io9/status/1512449831972659201?s=20&t=UOHC79iaaFsR61GkiM-HHQ

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Vulcan names are unpronounceable you hacks :argh:

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
i finally clicked the article and it's "S’Chn T’Gai Spock" and it came from a 2005 novel

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Spockrick

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

They're doing Spock again?

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Star Trek has become what Star Wars has been. Utter crap.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

That show looked ok so of course it has loving Spock in it.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993

Randarkman posted:

They're doing Spock again?

yes. And James T. Kirk. Every single part of their backstories MUST be explained and shown on screen. It is the way.

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008
If you make something new people might not like it so the safe bet is to make something expensive and bad.

kalel
Jun 19, 2012

In Tarantino's star trek Spock would be renamed to

eh, never mind

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Spock kisses a woman in this trailer at 1:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bza_SUQr57M

Dial A For Awesome
May 23, 2009

AARD VARKMAN posted:

yes. And James T. Kirk. Every single part of their backstories MUST be explained and shown on screen. It is the way.

Finally they will reveal that he acquired the name James T. Kirk because he was drinking a mug of tea when he applied for Starfleet and the recruiter was obliged to fill in a middle name on the form.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

The "T" in James T. Kirk stands for "Tiberius". The dashing Starfleet captain is actually a direct descendant of a line of warlords who terrorized Iowa during the Eugenics Wars who were all perfect genetic copies of the 1st century AD Roman Emperor Tiberius.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Spock kisses a woman in this trailer at 1:09

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bza_SUQr57M

There's a shot of him doing the ritual combat poo poo from Amok Time as well. I guess that would make sense because he'd have gone through a Pon-farr cycle before Kirk took command of the Enterprise.

There was no mention of the word 'family' in the trailer so that already makes the show light years better than Discovery.