Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I love steering levers. Give me in real life an in wheel motor steering lever car so I can literally turn on a dime, drat it!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Poor Kim must have failed some major checks :(

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GlyphGryph posted:

I love steering levers. Give me in real life an in wheel motor steering lever car so I can literally turn on a dime, drat it!

Some of the good commercial riding mowers have 0 radius lever steering like that, it off indeed fun.

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
Just started playing this game (final cut) for the first time, haven't read the thread but thought I'd share my experiences so far. Went with a 2/2/4/4 build, so emphasizing the physical skills. Decided that a great look would be to wear shoes, pants, tie and no shirt despite the seemingly freezing weather.

So far my approach has been to get my hands on as much money as possible and steal everything that isn't nailed down when given the chance, e.g. take everything from the sleeping worker in the bar rather than wake him up. Flipped off Gartte then crashed into the wheelchair lady after hilariously failing the relevant check. Later I shouted at him to give me a drink already but he just refused, and there wasn't a 'punch him' option which felt vaguely disappointing for a muscled, hungover, raging alcoholic cop. Eventually licked a rum stain off a table while Kim watched in disgust.

I seemed to have found all the crap in the waste container after channeling my inner hobocop. Made Kim try and shoot the corpse down and then tried myself but shot it in the shoulder instead. Kim is being a total square about nicking those boots but I'm deffo gonna steal them first chance I get

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I think I asked every single person in the game for money and I actually ended up with a lot by the end

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

SixFigureSandwich posted:

Just started playing this game (final cut) for the first time, haven't read the thread but thought I'd share my experiences so far. Went with a 2/2/4/4 build, so emphasizing the physical skills. Decided that a great look would be to wear shoes, pants, tie and no shirt despite the seemingly freezing weather.

So far my approach has been to get my hands on as much money as possible and steal everything that isn't nailed down when given the chance, e.g. take everything from the sleeping worker in the bar rather than wake him up. Flipped off Gartte then crashed into the wheelchair lady after hilariously failing the relevant check. Later I shouted at him to give me a drink already but he just refused, and there wasn't a 'punch him' option which felt vaguely disappointing for a muscled, hungover, raging alcoholic cop. Eventually licked a rum stain off a table while Kim watched in disgust.

I seemed to have found all the crap in the waste container after channeling my inner hobocop. Made Kim try and shoot the corpse down and then tried myself but shot it in the shoulder instead. Kim is being a total square about nicking those boots but I'm deffo gonna steal them first chance I get

Let me know when you get promoted to the Anti-Object Taskforce and I'll send you the relevant badge

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
You've done it, Harry! Whatever else you are, you're also *boring* now. It was *not* easy. You've spent most of your life trying to funk up every nook and cranny of your personality. When someone says something political, the first three thoughts in your head are a ludicrous hodgepodge of communism, fascism and stock tips. When they ask you why you did something, it's superstardom, apocalypse, or the *mea culpas* of a flagellant cop monk. It's not easy, reaching for the fourth option -- the normal one. But you have. And now you're not *just* crazy, you're also *boring*.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Silly Harry. You can't *take* La Responsabilité.
La Responsabilité is *taken from you*.

nurmie
Dec 8, 2019
in case there are Project Zomboid enjoyers itt: it is now possible to unleash the best detective/complete disaster of a human being on a bunch of unsuspecting Kentucky zombies with the power of mods. the kim option is available as well

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

EorayMel posted:

You've done it, Harry! Whatever else you are, you're also *boring* now. It was *not* easy. You've spent most of your life trying to funk up every nook and cranny of your personality. When someone says something political, the first three thoughts in your head are a ludicrous hodgepodge of communism, fascism and stock tips. When they ask you why you did something, it's superstardom, apocalypse, or the *mea culpas* of a flagellant cop monk. It's not easy, reaching for the fourth option -- the normal one. But you have. And now you're not *just* crazy, you're also *boring*.

Lol what does she say if you pick the first option?

Sit on my Jace
Sep 9, 2016

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Lol what does she say if you pick the first option?

DOLORES DEI — "It doesn’t sound like you're better at all, Harry. It doesn’t even sound like you're a moralist, it just sounds like you want to..." She spreads her arms. "*Win me back* or something. I don't want you to try that any more, okay? It's too sad, I need to *go*..."

EMPATHY (Easy) — Total annihilation. We got annihilated, Harry. It wasn’t about responsibility at all, it was always only about you having no power at all. Over her. Yourself. Anything. That's why they didn't take you on that airship: you're insane without her.

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Sit on my Jace posted:

DOLORES DEI — "It doesn’t sound like you're better at all, Harry. It doesn’t even sound like you're a moralist, it just sounds like you want to..." She spreads her arms. "*Win me back* or something. I don't want you to try that any more, okay? It's too sad, I need to *go*..."

EMPATHY (Easy) — Total annihilation. We got annihilated, Harry. It wasn’t about responsibility at all, it was always only about you having no power at all. Over her. Yourself. Anything. That's why they didn't take you on that airship: you're insane without her.

Goddamn, that is so on point.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004
johnny jesus and the infield fly rule

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Goddamn, that is so on point.

Disco Elysium is basically 20 hours or so of a sad cop getting owned repeatedly

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

The best part of that run was I took the anti booze and the anti drugs thoughts with the kingdom of conscience and rigorous self critique so I tried going clean after the hangover but I was still such a sad and sorry moralist who was also surprisingly boring, just wanting to finish the case.

And I managed to crank in 10 points of inland empire so I was constantly reminded of my ex wife when I wasn't having insane ramblings firing off in my head

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

Pattonesque posted:

Disco Elysium is basically 20 hours or so of a sad cop getting owned repeatedly

I meant as it relates to the moralism thought, the one where moralism is about control over yourself and the world around you.

Harry finally realizes that moralism isn't control, it's the opposite: powerlessness. It's looking up at those airships in the sky and rejecting the reality that they are completely out of your hands. Instead, it is the rationalization that whatever it is they are up to must be for the greater good and therefore everything is fine and going exactly as you want.

It's staring at the grapes and deciding that since you have to loving eat them no matter what they can't possibly be sour and actually you always wanted to eat them in the first place.

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

Cpt_Obvious posted:

Harry finally realizes that moralism isn't control, it's the opposite: powerlessness. It's looking up at those airships in the sky and rejecting the reality that they are completely out of your hands. Instead, it is the rationalization that whatever it is they are up to must be for the greater good and therefore everything is fine and going exactly as you want.

God's in his heaven

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

Cpt_Obvious posted:

I meant as it relates to the moralism thought, the one where moralism is about control over yourself and the world around you.

It's staring at the grapes and deciding that since you have to loving eat them no matter what they can't possibly be sour and actually you always wanted to eat them in the first place.

Everything this game says about moralism makes me feel so seen. It owns.

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Sit on my Jace posted:

jesus loving christ

I feel bad for the poor sob who plays this blind after a bad breakup and goes full moralist, the devastation

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

At least it's better than full fascist (maybe[?])

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.
I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I really do love how every political ideology is just a lovely coping mechanism for dealing with his inability to get over a failed personal relationship.

Hmm... for fun I decided to try and map it to the stages of grief, too. It almost fits!
denial (moralism), anger (fascism), bargaining (ultraliberalism), depression (communism)

Obviously "acceptance and hope" is cryptozoology.

GlyphGryph fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Apr 12, 2022

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Sometimes you lose one relationship only to find a better relationship (the phasmid)

Empty Sandwich
Apr 22, 2008

goatse mugs
you can't spell "parthogenesis" without "oh"

Cpt_Obvious
Jun 18, 2007

GlyphGryph posted:

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, I really do love how every political ideology is just a lovely coping mechanism for dealing with his inability to get over a failed personal relationship.

Or, his failed personal relationship is a metaphor for the collapse of his political ideology.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3963700&userid=118507#post513797453

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
Is there any advice for a "high chaos" run. Sort of like what choices you could make that wildly change the game but in context seem monstrous and cruel? The biggest one I've seen is about letting Kim get shot and how it changes the next act.

I've been meaning to replay the game as more of a streamline story experience. Something like 6/1/1/1 all body no mind kind of thing and just try and brute force the world to agree with me head empty no thoughts.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk

dead gay comedy forums posted:

jesus loving christ

I feel bad for the poor sob who plays this blind after a bad breakup and goes full moralist, the devastation

My first attempt playing this game was during the breakup of an 8 year relationship and I couldn't finish it because of how devastating it was.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

The communist vision quest, especially the end of one that works out, is some of the best writing in video games.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

KPC_Mammon posted:

My first attempt playing this game was during the breakup of an 8 year relationship and I couldn't finish it because of how devastating it was.

I played it a couple years after a bad breakup of a 7 year relationship and it kinda helped to like, really *finish* certain parts of the emotional processing of that.

I can't imagine going in with that poo poo still fresh though, holy poo poo.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

When I want to relax, I read an essay by Engels. When I want something more serious, I read Corto Maltese.

KPC_Mammon posted:

I'm sorry

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I managed to artfully dodge 80% of the relationship bits in my first playthrough and had no idea it was meant to be a central theme. Like why the heck would I take a nap on the island after loudly declaring my arrival by boat? There's a murderer with a rifle somewhere around here!

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

wiegieman posted:

The communist vision quest, especially the end of one that works out, is some of the best writing in video games.

if you tie it together with the phasmid arc it makes the best arc in vidya

Brosnan
Nov 13, 2004

Pwning the incels with my waifu fg character. Get trolled :twisted:
Lipstick Apathy

No Mods No Masters posted:

The thing about brown's performance for me is, I would have never believed before hearing it that you could do such a bone dry performance of the skills so successfully. It was surprising and it gave me another perspective on how good the game's writing is, which I appreciate. For good or for ill though it is probably not the voice 99.9% of people were hearing reading out the skill text in their heads when they played before final cut

I think he makes the often funny writing less funny because of his poor line reads. I tell friends who are new to the game to immediately switch to Classic or at least Psychological so that the VA doesn't ruin the writing.

Parallelwoody
Apr 10, 2008

No Dignity posted:

I managed to artfully dodge 80% of the relationship bits in my first playthrough and had no idea it was meant to be a central theme. Like why the heck would I take a nap on the island after loudly declaring my arrival by boat? There's a murderer with a rifle somewhere around here!

I did the exact same thing. No I don't need a nap, Harry is tough and gonna grit through this!

Pattonesque
Jul 15, 2004

wiegieman posted:

"in dark times, should the stars also go out?"

dmboogie
Oct 4, 2013

Brosnan posted:

I think he makes the often funny writing less funny because of his poor line reads. I tell friends who are new to the game to immediately switch to Classic or at least Psychological so that the VA doesn't ruin the writing.

hosed up

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

Brosnan posted:

You clearly didn't try to party with miss page 3 and then bailed out by Inland Empire with the full narration on:

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
I read a lot faster than the VA speaks so I prefer to hear the inner voices in my own mind personally

Wafflecopper
Nov 27, 2004

I am a mouth, and I must scream

Heath posted:

I read a lot faster than the VA speaks so I prefer to hear the inner voices in my own mind personally

this is reasonable but for the record everyone reads faster than anyone speaks

imhotep
Nov 16, 2009

REDBAR INTENSIFIES
i've been watching joseph anderson's vods from his stream of the game and enjoyed how much he enjoys the dream at the end https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jZCMZDmBvQw&t=11578s

it blows my mind that anyone can think that that part of the game is bad, like the waypoint radio podcast they talk about it like it like it's not only bad, but it actively makes the game worse. and that it seems like it 'doesn't fit' within the themes of the character or the game in general?? it's pretty on the nose, like metaphorically, especially where it's placed

Hipster Occultist
Aug 16, 2008

He's an ancient, obscure god. You probably haven't heard of him.

wiegieman posted:

What happens in those? I played at release and never went back for the director's cut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Bystander
Oct 10, 2012

Hipster Occultist posted:

What happens in those? I played at release and never went back for the director's cut.

You find a pair of guys who are also communists and you work together to build communism. When it works out, it's pretty surprising that the group actually builds 0.000001% of communism. Also, you can totally involve Kim in the situation, which makes it better, but the meeting time's always in the night, so the player has to be careful not to turn in if they want him present for it.