Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Return to Monke Island

e: That is my snipe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't there already 4 MI games tho? The chronology/canon is unclear to me

Gilbert had left Lucasarts at that point, and only consulted on Curse. He's given interviews before confirming that he's not a fan of those games, and if he did get to make another MI game it would be to complete his trilogy ignoring everything else made after.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes
I saw a picture of the morrisons wet eggs today. That takes me back. I wonder if anyone bought a bag of wet eggs. I wonder if they ate them all. Can I pay a journalist to track down someone who bought the wet eggs. Where are they now. Did they enjoy the eggs

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

JeremoudCorbynejad posted:

I'm going to SPLURGE the £150 on a scalding hot bath

and your bath retains heat for ages too

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Angepain posted:

I saw a picture of the morrisons wet eggs today. That takes me back. I wonder if anyone bought a bag of wet eggs. I wonder if they ate them all. Can I pay a journalist to track down someone who bought the wet eggs. Where are they now. Did they enjoy the eggs
they're the leader of the opposition op

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006

Failed Imagineer posted:

Isn't there already 4 MI games tho? The chronology/canon is unclear to me

3 (Curse) is good if a marked departure from the feel and stylings of 1 + 2

4 (Escape) is dogshit

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Bobby Deluxe posted:

https://twitter.com/JolyonMaugham/status/1512404636594020356?t=X-p2erNnmaEadxqH09BEtA&s=19

Foxy Kimono pointing out something I've been thinking for years ever since I engaged with the system. Filling out your own tax teturn enables an astronomical amount of freebies that are not available to your average PAYE employee.

I don't earn nearly enough (and I doubt most people do) to qualify for the poo poo you get if you pay an accountant to sort out the deductibles, but even the basics from accidentally filling out the gov.uk full self assessment return looked absolutely crazy.
First time I did my tax return as self-employed, I paid the amount HMRC's own site told me I owed, and later got hit by a demand for more and a fine. :wtc: So after that I used an accountant, who promptly went "Have you claimed for this? For that? You can claim a percentage back on this" and so on. None of which HMRC had bothered to mention, so it's definitely worth doing.

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)

Angepain posted:

another thing I'm wondering is what do you think the eggs smell like haha im just curious for laughs haha i would like to smell them

WhatEvil
Jun 6, 2004

Can't get no luck.

Julio Cruz posted:

3 (Curse) is good if a marked departure from the feel and stylings of 1 + 2

4 (Escape) is dogshit

There was also Tales of Monkey Island (the episodic Telltale one) which was OK. Not as good as 1/2 though.

It's great timing really 'cause I'm right near the end of playing through 2 Special Edition with my wife for her first playthrough.

WhatEvil fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Apr 8, 2022

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

Payndz posted:

First time I did my tax return as self-employed, I paid the amount HMRC's own site told me I owed, and later got hit by a demand for more and a fine. :wtc: So after that I used an accountant, who promptly went "Have you claimed for this? For that? You can claim a percentage back on this" and so on. None of which HMRC had bothered to mention, so it's definitely worth doing.
A lot of it is written in so vague and impenetrable a way that most people reading it would err on the side of caution and not claim it. Whereas if you have an accountant who's had the experience and training to know what it actually means, there's a whole bunch of stuff you can get for free, for a discount, or offset against future blah blah blah [magic roundabout theme starts to play]

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

keep punching joe posted:

Gilbert had left Lucasarts at that point, and only consulted on Curse. He's given interviews before confirming that he's not a fan of those games, and if he did get to make another MI game it would be to complete his trilogy ignoring everything else made after.
Theres a blog post from 2013 outlining his plans for a 'monkey island 3a' but he's said that he feels differently these days. The Return teaser trailer featured Murray the skull (who first appeared in MI3) and Ron's said that Returns while following on from MI2 directly will respect MI3 and won't overwrite or replace it.

As a big fan of the first 3 games i'm happy to see Ron get his wish after all these years and that he has apparently softened his attitude to my favorite of the series (it was different in tone and the ending was rushed but gently caress me Curse of Monkey Island is one of the best looking, most lovingly animated 2D adventure games ever made, just so so good in a different way from the first 2 games and neither 4 or the telltale series recaptured that with their lifeless 3D renderings. The voice acting and music with real instrumentation blew me away too, i still get that opening theme stuck in my head why isn't there a Curse remaster i can play on Switch right now???).

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Classic PC adventure games 🤝 HMRC tax codes

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it is written in so vague and impenetrable a way

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish
Mmm Monkey Island, the nostalgia is crippling. Curse was my fave I think

grim fandango 4eva

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Mr Phillby posted:

Theres a blog post from 2013 outlining his plans for a 'monkey island 3a' but he's said that he feels differently these days. The Return teaser trailer featured Murray the skull (who first appeared in MI3) and Ron's said that Returns while following on from MI2 directly will respect MI3 and won't overwrite or replace it.

I think you can interpret Murray'a skull being immediately dropped into the sea as a sign they're ditching the timeline moving forward from Curse. I hope they do that anyway, it's not like those games won't still exist, and I want to see Ron's initial plan for what happened. I want to know what Big Whoop really was!

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
full throttle was pretty drat good too but aye grim fandango was fuckin' great

Mr Phillby
Apr 8, 2009

~TRAVIS~

Comrade Fakename posted:

I think you can interpret Murray'a skull being immediately dropped into the sea as a sign they're ditching the timeline moving forward from Curse. I hope they do that anyway, it's not like those games won't still exist, and I want to see Ron's initial plan for what happened. I want to know what Big Whoop really was!

https://twitter.com/grumpygamer/status/1511022135191384067?t=c30SSYcG1zOaMNxepjAvFQ&s=19

Straight from the horse's mouth.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
All of the Lucasarts games were loving amazing. I've still not found anything that compares to Rescue on Fractalus either technically (procedurally-generated fractal planetscapes in 64k!) or gameplay, with that combination of shooty action and jump scares.

Deketh
Feb 26, 2006
That's a nice fucking fish

aww yisss

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

DesperateDan posted:

full throttle was pretty drat good too but aye grim fandango was fuckin' great

Full Throttle owns, many years ago I remember someone cut the game footage into a film and it was excellent. Still own the soundtrack too!

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

One of the best puzzles in all the Monkey Island games is the one where you have to ruin your shipmates song to get them to sail the ship in Curse.

That's both really funny, really clever and really well voice acted.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

Escape ain't so bad. The villain's Rupert Murdoch!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

sebzilla posted:

Full Throttle owns, many years ago I remember someone cut the game footage into a film and it was excellent. Still own the soundtrack too!

The soundtrack was the first thing I ever bought on the internet, in the days when "ecommerce" was a perl script that emailled your credit card details to someone.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

In that interview Gilbert, half-jokingly I think, said he'd plunder the other games for good bits to steal. And Murray is both easy to plunder, and is loving worth plundering. I haven't played those games in fifteen years (oh god my life is slipping between my fingers) and I can still hear his voice.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
LOL, the lady gonna pay the tax now, thats nice of her.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-61045825

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I really enjoyed the Telltale series at the time but for the life of me I'm struggling to remember any of it.

I must go back and replay the 1+2 Special Editions, and I don't think I ever played Curse all the way to the end.

Only Kindness
Oct 12, 2016

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Imagine a tory being upset about being "smeared".

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

quote:

"I do this because I want to, not because the rules require me to. These new arrangements will begin immediately and will also be applied to the tax year just finished (2021-22)," Ms Murty added.

i love a society ran off the good will of billionaires

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goddamnedtwisto posted:

All of the Lucasarts games were loving amazing. I've still not found anything that compares to Rescue on Fractalus either technically (procedurally-generated fractal planetscapes in 64k!) or gameplay, with that combination of shooty action and jump scares.

The Eidolon was better. Hella tough though.

Marmaduke!
May 19, 2009

Why would it do that!?

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Love a good non dom rom com

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

jiggerypokery posted:

i love a society ran off the good will of billionaires

Does sound like she's lobbying her husband to change the rules, good on her.

Wish all my taxes were opt in.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Oh part 3 of Caelan Conrad's cult docu on gender criticals is out. I've not watched any of this one yet but I can guess enough to imagine it's a cw and spoiler alert that they're hateful poo poo cunts still.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Don't worry, new scandal just dropped

https://twitter.com/Annaisaac/status/1512486351307902976

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

stev posted:

I really enjoyed the Telltale series at the time but for the life of me I'm struggling to remember any of it.

"Stev will not remember that."

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Guavanaut posted:

Oh part 3 of Caelan Conrad's cult docu on gender criticals is out. I've not watched any of this one yet but I can guess enough to imagine it's a cw and spoiler alert that they're hateful poo poo cunts still.

As a cleanser to that, I was linked to this earlier, which is a really great primer on "no, trans people aren't making this up and here's the science to prove it."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M1oVv59o-UQ

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Wish all my taxes were opt in.
Even though that was the real problem - that the turbo rich can just choose not to pay taxes - the papers are going to forget all about it now the nice lady has promised to pay taxes on 11m.

Which begas the question - how much loving income does she have that her tax bill is 2.1m, and secondly agreeing to pay tax on her income is going to be run through so much Jimmy Carr accountant fuckery she'll end up paying less than your average £30k p/a worker.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

thats bullshit what they've done to will smith

i guess they spoke to their publicists about how to keep themselves relevant

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 21:41 on Apr 8, 2022

Jakabite
Jul 31, 2010

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats bullshit what they've done to will smith

i guess they spoke to their publicists about how to keep themselves relevant

What’ve they done to him? I think I said it before but if more people solved their grievances between peers (physical, social) with a bit of mild violence, the world would be a far nicer place

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Bobby Deluxe posted:

A lot of it is written in so vague and impenetrable a way that most people reading it would err on the side of caution and not claim it. Whereas if you have an accountant who's had the experience and training to know what it actually means, there's a whole bunch of stuff you can get for free, for a discount, or offset against future blah blah blah [magic roundabout theme starts to play]

This. I pay £1500 a year for my accountant on retainer as a 1 man ltd company, and he saves me about twice that a year on how tax rolls and works without anything dodgy whatsoever. Even when I was doing self assessment myself as a Sole Trader I was getting money back from overpaying etc.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Jakabite posted:

What’ve they done to him? I think I said it before but if more people solved their grievances between peers (physical, social) with a bit of mild violence, the world would be a far nicer place

Kicked him out of the Academy for 10 years, a considerably stiffer punishment than they handed out to Harvey Weinstein or Roman Polanski, which sort of tells you where their priorities lay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Jakabite posted:

Will Smith: Lost his temper and struck a man for making a really crass comment about someone he loved.
Punishment: Banned from award shows for ten years. (And an implicit "you won't be nominated for any major awards for at least ten years, if you are lucky.)

Chris Rock: Plans, writes and tells a joke mocking a woman's medical condition and appearance in front of a billion plus people to get a laugh.
Punishment: None.

Says it all really.