Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

IcePhoenix
Sep 18, 2005

Take me to your Shida

HackensackBackpack posted:

You're also only allowed one house and one FC plot per world per service account. Having extra alts on the same world could give you extra lottery entries, I suppose, but you'd need all of those alts at level 50, 2nd-Lt. with enough gil. FCs need to be Rank 6, with at least four members and, as of Tuesday, the character buying the FC plot must have been in the FC for at least 30 days. You're also only allowed to do either a private lottery entry OR an FC entry on each character.

People who are only in it to resell FCs (e: which is generally what the botters buying up houses are doing) are probably just fine with most of these limitations.

IcePhoenix fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 8, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

IcePhoenix posted:

People who are only in it to resell FCs (e: which is generally what the botters buying up houses are doing) are probably just fine with most of these limitations.

True, I suppose if they have the plot already there's very little stopping them from selling the FC.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Onean posted:

YoshiP gave a quick peak at this set coming to the Mogstation soon:

:eyepop:

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Pyro Jack posted:

Unless I'm mistaken, apparently hairstyles for Hrothgar can only be changed via Fantasia since they don't mention using the crystal bell. If I'm right, that's a big step back compared to Viera. I sincerely do hope I'm wrong though.

so now I have to decide if I want the current bangs or sideburns by 6.1 launch, or pay to change them? hmmmm

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Why can Hrothgar not change their hair at the barber? Do they not have a hair slot? What slot are these new hairstyles in?

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

CJ posted:

Why can Hrothgar not change their hair at the barber? Do they not have a hair slot? What slot are these new hairstyles in?

Hrothgar don't have "hairstyles" in the traditional sense. They have eight faces to choose from that are really four faces but with two different hairstyles each. The face you select gives you a hairstyle that you can't change unless you Fantasia to a different face (I actually can't remember if you can switch between the two styles on the same face or not, but I'm pretty sure you can't have a hairstyle from a different face).

The wording in the patch is unclear. It says the following:

quote:

Regardless of your progression in the main scenario, these changes will be available when creating new characters, editing your character's appearance using Fantasia, or hiring a retainer.

But then it also says

quote:

Certain options that were previously designated as facial features, such as bangs and sideburns, have been moved to the hairstyle section.

So the question is whether the new styles will be tied to faces, or if all faces get the new styles, etc.

HackensackBackpack fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Apr 9, 2022

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

yeah, its mostly frustrating because of how opaque they've been on all levels when it comes to hrothgar, just for them to go 'surprise we glued the viera hairstyles onto hrothgar at the cost of their ears, hope you enjoy'- i'd honestly rather them just come out and say 'yes you still have to use fantasia' because at least then we'd HAVE AN ANSWER :argh:

also even more new viera hairstyles being literally right after the hrothgar thing is just salt in the wound :v:

Kerrzhe
Nov 5, 2008

my hrothgar is already perfect

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.

W.T. Fits posted:

... Just had the most bizarre experience in Castrum Meridianum. Playing as DRK, other tank is a PLD, everything is going nice and smooth right until we get to the red colossus boss. At which point, the following happened:

Like, seriously, you're nearly done with the dungeon, and you're going to get so tilted over a polite request that you're going to rage quit over it? :psyduck:

Pretty much everyone was stupefied by this, and we spent the rest of the instance informing the replacement tank what happened and talking about how baffling the whole thing was.
The world's most fragile masculinity. :allears:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I expect they have something in works for Hrothgar and I also fully expect we won't see anything about it until they show off lady lions.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

CJ posted:

It's because of how their hair is stapled to their head model, I believe. Most other races have their hair models separate from their head, but that wouldn't work well with how Hrothgar heads are shaped. I assume the new hair models are just the current head models but remodeled with the new hairstyle.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

it's a weird situation because hairstyles and faces are not actually tied in the code itself, using something like cmtool reveals you can combine any face with any hair without any issue whatsoever (from what i've heard, anyway, i dont use third party stuff myself even if it's a tool and not a mod); the fantasia requirement to change hairstyles honestly didn't need to exist altogether, it'd just mean some hairstyles maybe don't look that great on one hroth species or another, not the end of the world.

Where things get weird are the ears, which are baked into the head models rather than being separate like viera and miqo. if you examine the model by itself it's obviously just. there:

it probably was meant to save time initially since they were co-developing alongside viera, but it absolutely was a bad move in the long run. similar to how hair can be hidden in parts for specific hats/headgear, it's possible for a head model to do something similar for ears if they're hidden by specific hats/headgear.

...except for hrothgar. hrothgar heads AND hairstyles don't have the coded traits that allow for that kind of thing in any capacity, which is probably the biggest contributor to why no hats/headgear in a broad sense. easier to do specific coding for specific pieces as a stopgap until it can be addressed properly. what this also means though is that SE hasn't really done anything involving hair models to give them headgear compatibility and instead chose to work on the head models, which in turn means that the ears are hidden now as they seemingly have been detached from the head models with the new hairstyle. ...the new hairstyles being what they are is a whole other can of worms, but it at least explains mechanically why 'oops no ears' seems to be happening :v: viera meanwhile haven't had any issues like this because their ears are a separate model altogether (and miqo's ears are baked into their hair models to begin with), so viera ears can just be paired with any hairstyle without much issue.

ultimately it's just one of a handful of things that reveal just how half-baked hrothgar implementation actually was and at this point it's probably a matter of playing catch up, but I honestly think it would've gone over better if they'd just said 'we're pushing back hairstyles because we're focusing on decoupling ears from the head model which was the big deterrent for developing new hairstyles' instead of...what felt like a weird april fools joke lol

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

drat, that's an even weirder situation than what I thought, then. Thanks for the clarification.

It begs the question of why they went with the specific implementation of Viera/Hrothgar that they did, honestly. It seems like they sacrificed an enormous amount of dynamism for marginal aesthetic reasons. I understand the engine's old and difficult to tinker with, but it feels like that's an even stronger reason to implement them in a way that doesn't require insane workarounds.

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
SRW Fanatic

PS3 PS4 PS5 PC limitations!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Do we know how many nuts the upgrade materials will require?

aers
Feb 15, 2012

its usually 2000 right side/3000 left side

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Hmm, that's a lot of nuts.

CJ
Jul 3, 2007

Asbungold
Do the Hrothgar heads have different proportions meaning that the hair has to be custom made for each head? Or are they reused between heads?

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

CJ posted:

Do the Hrothgar heads have different proportions meaning that the hair has to be custom made for each head? Or are they reused between heads?

they are MOSTLY the same proportions, but yes, they're not exact, which is why some headgear that looks fine on the bigger heads looks awful on the coeurl (or vice versa)

a notable example would be the skallic tank headpiece, the jawline stuff looks fine on the bigger cat species but doesn't work for me because there's a gap between the metal and the actual jaw :v:

Albu-quirky Guy
Nov 8, 2005

Still stuck in the Land of Entrapment

W.T. Fits posted:

... Just had the most bizarre experience in Castrum Meridianum. Playing as DRK, other tank is a PLD, everything is going nice and smooth right until we get to the red colossus boss. At which point, the following happened:

Like, seriously, you're nearly done with the dungeon, and you're going to get so tilted over a polite request that you're going to rage quit over it? :psyduck:

Pretty much everyone was stupefied by this, and we spent the rest of the instance informing the replacement tank what happened and talking about how baffling the whole thing was.

Had something similar happen to me in... The Aery I think? The one where the final boss has an NPC you have to protect that will shield you from the boss' ultimate attack.

Halfway through the fight the NPC drops and we lose. Nobody has done/remembers this fight so we have no clue what happened. Let's try it again.

Second time the NPC drops again. A couple of us notice that the adds and some of the boss attacks are hitting him, so the tank needs to do better at grabbing adds and the healer needs to throw cures at the NPC from time to time. We lose again. No big. Let's try it again.

Tank is grabbing adds successfully now but NPC is still getting hit with AOEs from time to time. Our healer throws a cure at the NPC and the tank immediately turns the boss towards the NPC and stops using skills. Tells us in chat that he's the tank and he's the only one the healer should be curing during the fight, and if the healer hits anybody else he's just going to stop fighting. A particularly nasty attack wipes the NPC and we lose.

We all try to convince the tank that the healer has to heal the DPS's and the NPC during the fight or we'll never finish. Tank declares in no uncertain terms that if DPS can't finish the fight with just AOE heals/regens and our own skills, we shouldn't be playing the game. Tank won't even move into the arena until the healer promises not to heal anybody but him. Healer tells him to piss off cause Tank doesn't pay his sub.

Tank drops.

The rest of us sit there scratching our heads at just what happened. About five minutes later a new tank pops in. We collectively tell the story of the previous tank and the new tank just laughs, calls him a dumbass, and we move into the arena.

Fight is finished in about two minutes.

Sometimes people are just weird, yo.

strange feelings re Daisy
Aug 2, 2000

Whenever a dancer in one of my roulette groups immediately chooses the tank as a dance partner it turns out they are a couple and both completely awful at the game. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If a tank-dancer duo tries to use the duty finder they should be automatically teleported to a roleplaying session in Limsa Lominsa instead

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Seeing two of the same last name in the same dungeon is almost always sign of a bad time.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Remembering the story of Austin Walker getting rouletted into a dungeon with an unfortunate group of 3 rping as a dysfunctional family

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011
One of the weirdest times I ever had was a tank/healer couple where the healer went AFK immediately and the tank took off like a guided missile to do a wallpull even though they kept dying before any of the pack went down from AoE damage. I ended up getting kicked because I decided I didn't want to go for the fifth wipe and settled for peeling the aggro of a single mob at the start and focusing it down.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Bruceski posted:

Hmm, that's a lot of nuts.

Get on board the hunt train :toot:

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

love to get cute couples in roulettes imo. their skill isn't usually any better or worse than any other pug, and sometimes they have neat matching outfits.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

https://twitter.com/DEADINTITAN/status/1512600647119474688

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

Get on board the hunt train :toot:

God no. Hunt trains are everything I hate. When I grind I want solo stuff where I choose the pace.

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

So I finally got together the Late Allagan striking set, and I have to ask for any recommendations for matching MNK/SAM weapons

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
You can try the Lost Allagan stuff from Rhalgar's Reach.

Gnossiennes
Jan 7, 2013

Loving chairs more every day!

Bruceski posted:

God no. Hunt trains are everything I hate. When I grind I want solo stuff where I choose the pace.

that sucks, hunt trains own for makin money nuts n tomes.

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

Seeing two of the same last name in the same dungeon is almost always sign of a bad time.

i once joined a pf with three people with the same last name and none of them knew eachother :psyduck:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

Gnossiennes posted:

i once joined a pf with three people with the same last name and none of them knew eachother :psyduck:

Was the name "Tia"? :v:

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

Gnossiennes posted:

that sucks, hunt trains own for makin money nuts n tomes.

My old character had the last name "Beoulve", so I would run into long lost cousins all the time :v:

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004

Regalingualius posted:

So I finally got together the Late Allagan striking set, and I have to ask for any recommendations for matching MNK/SAM weapons

The Shinryu crafted weapons are really good for that set

Ironworks/Scaevan can probably also work with certain metallic dyes, the Scaevan tonfa especially are really rad

Firebert fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Apr 9, 2022

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Regalingualius posted:

i like the a12s sam weapon with mine. o12s looks pretty neat too but i don't think you can solo that one :v:

RME
Feb 20, 2012

Really big fan of the ucob katana personally. Although I’m also the kind of person that likes the uwu one, the one with the broken blade lol

Kaubocks
Apr 13, 2011

i’m going to be so loving annoyed if hrothgar still need to pay ten real world american dollars for a haircut

almost as annoyed as i have been that they’ve been so unclear about this in the first place like god drat

fake edit: i don’t even WANT to change my boys hair i just want to stop feeling so embarrassingly unfinished. i’m fine with being just a little unfinished.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Heavensward LP dives deep into the Firmament and helps build a better Ishgard.

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009

strange feelings re Daisy posted:

Whenever a dancer in one of my roulette groups immediately chooses the tank as a dance partner it turns out they are a couple and both completely awful at the game. EVERY SINGLE TIME.

If a tank-dancer duo tries to use the duty finder they should be automatically teleported to a roleplaying session in Limsa Lominsa instead

There was an expert roulette where my PLD got dance partner right off the bat. I just shrugged and went about business as usual.

I ended that dungeon with the highest dps in the party. I was BIS, sure, but it was Dead Ends, my gear was synced down anyway. It wad a strange experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

i've found it's pretty common for people still in the msq to go into dead ends with sub-89 gear. even without that consideration the tank or healer being top overall dps in there is not unusual since the pulls are pretty big and their aoe gets put to good use