Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

Serephina posted:

e.g. if you want a good MAA thing it might have a soft discount if you have a pile of said MAA, if you want better prisonor releases you need a pile of good prisoners to get that discount, etc. Lotta stuff can go down to 2k easily if you spend half a generation working towards it before diverging.

Oh I didn’t realize it worked like this, is there a guide on the paradox wiki or wherever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

I got Lingua Franca. What a horrendous pain in the rear end that was. Felt like I was one kingdom away for 150 years.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

indigi posted:

Oh I didn’t realize it worked like this, is there a guide on the paradox wiki or wherever

The traditions page lists the "optional requirements" and "preferred ethos" for all traditions, both of which reduce the cost of adding that tradition.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Thanks

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
You can also hover over the prestige number requirement and it'll tell you the modifiers to get discounts, if you wanna check quickly in-game!

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Magil Zeal posted:

The traditions page lists the "optional requirements" and "preferred ethos" for all traditions, both of which reduce the cost of adding that tradition.

drat, I was completely unaware of that

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

Buschmaki posted:

You can also hover over the prestige number requirement and it'll tell you the modifiers to get discounts, if you wanna check quickly in-game!

It's helpful, but it only shows them if they're unmet. If you're already receiving a discount you won't know why.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I got Lingua Franca. What a horrendous pain in the rear end that was. Felt like I was one kingdom away for 150 years.

Lingua Franca feels like an EU4 achievement that got lost.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I wish there was a way they could tell you who is going to inherit a title before you create it when you’re in partition. I have a laundry list of titles I could creat right now, but I never know who is going to get it until I create it.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
The trouble is partition's such a fluid state that any info they give you might be incorrect by the next time one of your vassals sneezes in an internal war. Just focus on the few titles your big boy gets and accept that the rest turns to confetti.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Bird in a Blender posted:

I wish there was a way they could tell you who is going to inherit a title before you create it when you’re in partition. I have a laundry list of titles I could creat right now, but I never know who is going to get it until I create it.

If you're in regular partition instead of confederate, just don't create the new top level titles?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

I’m in confederate right now and will be for a while I think. Just one of those annoying things of confederate partition I guess.

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

TorakFade posted:

Is Haesteinn just supposed to live forever? The dude is 77, has cancer, is wounded and had a botched treatment, I have had the "you're about to die!" notification for 3 years now and nothing

Before cancer, at 74, his health was still good (green heart, your humors are balanced), now it's just poor :psyduck:

Every time I play Haesteinn he gets cancer and dies in like 10 years

I am very unlucky with him

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

so I’m still on my Ireland game and somehow my heir has become holy Roman emperor? how the gently caress do I find out what happened? he’s been my chancellor until the last year or two of game time

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

indigi posted:

so I’m still on my Ireland game and somehow my heir has become holy Roman emperor? how the gently caress do I find out what happened? he’s been my chancellor until the last year or two of game time

Click on the title shield and there's a History button at the top.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

indigi posted:

The HRE is elective, so really anyone can get elected to emperor. It also means you don’t automatically pass the title down to your heir, although you certainly have the advantage when you’re emperor.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

TorakFade posted:

Is Haesteinn just supposed to live forever? The dude is 77, has cancer, is wounded and had a botched treatment, I have had the "you're about to die!" notification for 3 years now and nothing

Before cancer, at 74, his health was still good (green heart, your humors are balanced), now it's just poor :psyduck:

He has a high base health, because he lived for a very long time based upon what historical records we have of him. He's a little over-tuned IMO, but it's fine. I rarely play as him (I usually prefer Dyre the Stranger if I'm doing a historical Viking), but it's nice having him as an AI that causes trouble throughout western Europe.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Bird in a Blender posted:

The HRE is elective, so really anyone can get elected to emperor. It also means you don’t automatically pass the title down to your heir, although you certainly have the advantage when you’re emperor.

You can remove the elective law for around 9K prestige, though

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

Looks like my kid’s wife got elected as Empress of the HRE and my kid just got the title

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

indigi posted:

Was his mom the daughter of a former Emperor? It's distinctly possible he got installed as a Claimant by a faction, if so the Title History screen will show you.

It's possible he got elected too, but the electors generally don't like voting for foreigners, unless he also inherited a bunch of land in the Empire first. Again, title history will tell you.

E: wait his wife got elected? I'm fairly certain it's male-only...

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
It's usually not super evident when it happens, but the AI can change the gender laws for its titles. This is more likely to happen in the latter stages of the game where there's been lots of cultural and religious back-and-forth. I'm nearing the end of my Nubia playthrough and like half of my vassals have changed their titles to equal or female preference, despite me never really getting around to do anything about it on my own titles. And of course, this is guaranteed to happen if some of the gender-equal faiths really pick up in your game. Adamitism conquered most of Eastern Europe in my match and it was pretty much all female rulers until the Byzantines mopped them up, but the vassals kept being mostly ladies because by that point the cultures had taken some of the traditions that allow for female rulers, I think.

zooted heh
Oct 16, 2005

str8 mercin burgers my nigga
What would be the reason why I can marry some people in my court and some have no option to do that with? The silhouette that shows when they arnt married doesn't even show up. Are they forever single? I'm playing on console.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
They might just be visiting and not a paid courtier, likewise with a ward, or they're a monk/nun, etc. Also be aware of the differences between 'find spouse' and 'arrange marriage'. If you chose the second option on your own court you'll only be presented with other people you control, and you might be having someone in mind who's in your son's court or whatever.

I've had the problem a few times and it's always been me being slightly absent minded about details or UI stuff.

edit: the silhouette shows up for your kids, but not for random courtiers. You can still control their marriage with (on PC) the right click context menu.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 04:47 on Apr 11, 2022

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib

zooted heh posted:

What would be the reason why I can marry some people in my court and some have no option to do that with? The silhouette that shows when they arnt married doesn't even show up. Are they forever single? I'm playing on console.

This has happened to me on a bunch of my knights in my current game too.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What causes your whole court and family to keep getting lovers pox?

Ive seen the disease before, is not uncommon. But in my current game, something happen that made everyone get it and keep getting it

Most of my vassals have it. Around 1/5 of a my dynasty of almost 3000 people have it

After the third heir I designated also got it, I was so mad at it I entered debug mode and removed it from him and his wife. A decade later when he inherited, he and the wife had I again

What is this poo poo? Just he AI being promiscous and adultering compulsively? They could at least have the AI avoid people with venereal diseases when they are fooling around

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Are they all (or their spouses) being Rakish for whatever reason?

Or part of some pervert religion where infidelity is ok? Intrigue focused dynasty that keeps rolling seducers?

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
Lover's pox is also congenital disease, so some of them probably inherited it

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Dwesa posted:

Lover's pox is also congenital disease, so some of them probably inherited it
Yeah, I know. But even the ones who didint inherit will get it almost as soon as they get to adulthood

Serephina posted:

Are they all (or their spouses) being Rakish for whatever reason?

Or part of some pervert religion where infidelity is ok? Intrigue focused dynasty that keeps rolling seducers?

Not really. That son for example was even zealous

As for the religion: kinda of. The religion is very liberal, really. Everything permitted... except adultery, which is shunned

TorakFade
Oct 3, 2006

I strongly disapprove

Elias_Maluco posted:

As for the religion: kinda of. The religion is very liberal, really. Everything permitted... except adultery, which is shunned

So what you're saying is, people that are allowed to bang whoever whenever (and maybe get a stern talking to if they're married, but that's it), will bang whoever whenever and get VDs ?

Well I never! :wotwot:

(Yeah having a "do what thou wilt" religion tends to end up in complete mayhem, I know it from my Daurama game where I went for natural primitivism and everything accepted)

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well, adultery is still shunned, even if not illegal. And the religion monogamous too, by the way. And is not like it has lustful as a virtue, nothing like that either

So yeah, is a bit more liberal than regular Ásatrú, but still is seems to me that is weird that like 75% of my vassals and 20% of a dynasty of thousands of people have the same venereal disease

edit: and anyway, I guess is too much to ask for the AI to not seek or accept sex with people who have the "Lovers pox" trait. Is not like is a secret

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Apr 11, 2022

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
I think the one constant in the game is that your vassals and courtiers will never keep it in their pants. I wouldn't even mind if it wasn't for the constant pop-ups telling me to put one or both of them in jail. I could change religions to make it not a crime but that'd mean less strong hooks, and also more STDs apparently? I really hate it when it's my spymaster doing the tattling, like dude/lady I'm paying you to KEEP secrets so *I* can use them. And yeah earlier in the game this just results in lots of bastards but once characters in your realm start getting Lover's Pox through events (I think it's more frequently "born" from the Rakish trait, as mentioned), their slutty, slutty ways will turn it into a nationwide problem within a few generations, if that. I'm already resorting to monking my extra kids (despite already reaching primogeniture) to keep the disease from spreading into my spare relatives, not that it'll help since they'll keep pumping out syphillitic babies, they'll just be bastards too.

SexyBlindfold fucked around with this message at 17:28 on Apr 11, 2022

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Well that was the last time I try to be progressive with my religion for sure

edit: but anyway, I always make the religion very liberal whenever I reform or create a heresy, but that was the first time I had this lovers pox epidemic problem. Maybe because this time I reformed early game? It did took a couple of hundred years for that to kick in

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Apr 11, 2022

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah, the AI sleeps around incessantly even when adultery is illegal, and making it not illegal cranks that poo poo to 11. Honestly the more I think about the more I wonder if the only reason they behave this way is to create secrets that can be discovered by Intrigue focused characters.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008

thanxs!!!
I mean it happens enough to me under a traditional religion (Coptic, female adultery criminal, male adultery shunned) that I really don't think the religious doctrine makes a huge difference in AI behavior, if it's affected at all. Shunned adultery would still allow you to keep weak hooks, but the pop-ups of infidelity scandals still happen and they're still annoying. If it's only shunned you don't have to worry about losing opinion from being forced to imprison the culprits, though.
I'd love to hear the opinions of more experienced players on the pro/cons of 'progressive' doctrines (either switching to a relatively liberal religion or creating one from scratch) since I haven't messed with that aspect yet, but from my limited understanding it goes as follows:

Gender norms: Equal's not bad at all, it means you can put talented ladies to work in all council positions (if you don't already have some of the cultural traditions that overrule religious gender norms for a few things, like Knights). It also still lets you choose your succession law so you're not forced into stuff like Equal Confederate Partition, which would be like the worst possible option and you could as well just kiss your lands goodbye.

Adultery: As mentioned before, I'm not sure exactly how much sluttier your vassals and courtiers get if you change this. I'd advice against Allowed since adultery is the bread and butter of the hooks you'll keep within your family and realm.

Same-sex relationships: I can't imagine a lot of scenarios where Allowed would be like, an actual benefit game-wise - like yeah, if your ruler is gay/bi/lesbian you could have same-sex lovers without having to worry about randos getting hooks on you, but 99% of the time the relationship would count as adultery too (since you'll usually want to marry your ruler ASAP and afaik same-sex marriage isn't an option), so, like, it wouldn't be a huge difference? It'd be cool if you could get a bonus for inviting gay foreigners into your court if your religion's more tolerant of their sexuality, but as it is it's just not a fundamentally significant aspect of the game, unless there's a same-sex event tree I haven't explored. I rarely get hooks from same-sex relationships within my realm, though, so you could make it Accepted for RP reasons and not experience any particular downsides, either.

Witchcraft: Not sure about this one - I know there's some pretty wild coven events, but maybe they're more fun if you're doing it in secret? I think witchcraft has some links to useful traits like herbalist or wise man, which you'd definitely want for yourself or your courtiers, so making it Allowed could be a good thing.

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Well, adultery is still shunned, even if not illegal. And the religion monogamous too, by the way. And is not like it has lustful as a virtue, nothing like that either

So yeah, is a bit more liberal than regular Ásatrú, but still is seems to me that is weird that like 75% of my vassals and 20% of a dynasty of thousands of people have the same venereal disease

edit: and anyway, I guess is too much to ask for the AI to not seek or accept sex with people who have the "Lovers pox" trait. Is not like is a secret

This is a major problem in every game, and there isn't anything you can do about it other than modding the game and removing the syphilis trait.

Having AI characters avoid sleeping with people with that trait makes a ton of sense, but much like the game option to force the AI to always matri-marry, it probably wouldn't work anyway.

PittTheElder posted:

Yeah, the AI sleeps around incessantly even when adultery is illegal, and making it not illegal cranks that poo poo to 11. Honestly the more I think about the more I wonder if the only reason they behave this way is to create secrets that can be discovered by Intrigue focused characters.

Almost certainly.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

binge crotching posted:

This is a major problem in every game, and there isn't anything you can do about it other than modding the game and removing the syphilis trait.

Maybe Ill do that next time. I dont want play syphilis pandemics simulator

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Elias_Maluco posted:

Maybe Ill do that next time. I dont want play syphilis pandemics simulator

It's referenced in so many events that it's probably easier to just make it so you're immune to getting that disease if you have the Blood dynasty perk. A couple of times I've thought about making a mini-mod to do that, but I never got around to it.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

Always funny when the game must have hard programmed character designs. I started in Jerusalem and I've worked my way up to sacking Rome and stealing the pope's fancy hat. Well he must have made a replica because he still has it!

Imposter!

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

what’s the deal where in a war dec screen I saw the newly crowned 10 year old king of Leon had ~3000 military strength, -240 gold, and 0 allies compared to my ~11k strength, so I declare for a county I have a claim on and out of nowhere there’s four 7k armies who came and owned my shamrock rear end all the way back to Munster? did they maybe get a holy alliance cause it’s Insular vs Catholic? it didn’t give me any indication that this would happen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

As someone who is dealing with the same thing, it’s very likely they’re hiring holy orders. You should see a notification on the right when a holy order is hired.

You’re not going to get a warning about this on the war dec screen because they’re not part of their army. It’s the same with mercenaries. You won’t know they’ve got them until you start a war and they hire them. Sort of something you just have to watch out for.