Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

The Timemore C2 is a bit cheaper than 1zpresso and can basically do everything except espresso.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know

AnimeIsTrash posted:

The Timemore C2 is a bit cheaper than 1zpresso and can basically do everything except espresso.

Interesting, but the 1Z seems better built. As something I'll be using everyday (for years, hopefully), I figure it's worth the premium.

So it's settled, I'll be ordering the JX next week. Thanks, all

adeadcrab
Feb 1, 2006

Objectifying women is cool and normal

seravid posted:

Interesting, but the 1Z seems better built. As something I'll be using everyday (for years, hopefully), I figure it's worth the premium.

So it's settled, I'll be ordering the JX next week. Thanks, all

Not sure how much better built the timemore c2 with titanium burrs could be. I recently got one for my first coffee grinder and it’s been great. Takes ages to grind 20g for a moka but cold brew is a breeze.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

From what I've seen the C2's housing is made of plastic while the 1zpresso is all steel with the exception of the plastic lid. I'm sure both are durable as heck but I feel a little more comfortable with heavier steel throughout. The 1zpresso is also a carbon copy of the Comandante grinder which costs like $300, so you know you're getting a good design.

seravid
Apr 21, 2010

Let me tell you of the world I used to know
I'm sure the C2 is a fine grinder but, yeah, what Mu Zeta said.

Carillon
May 9, 2014

BrianBoitano posted:

Get a bripe like an adult

:hmmyes:

Bruxism
Apr 29, 2009

Absolutely not anxious about anything.

Bleak Gremlin

BrianBoitano posted:

*son moves step stool over to coffee cart*
Wife: is there anything dangerous on there?
:thunk: don't think so
*son immediately finds the WDT*

They always keep you on your toes!

To help you get started without the thermapen: I just dialed in another light roast, and checked temp more closely this time. You really have to get the basket steamed a couple times. My kettle has a keep warm setting so it will come up to boil, wait a minute, boil / steam some more, repeat. By the time I've ground and done puck prep it's steamed 3 times, I force it once more and make sure the water is immediately off the boil and I hit 200°F.

TRIP REPORT! Hey man, I got my Pro 2 a few days ago, did a deep clean on my Niche and recalibrated it, and started pulling shots. I'm not one to throw something out so I was happy to discover the first shot was already good. This morning I pulled 6 shots one after another (2 rounds for 3 people) and by the end I was getting really good results. I feel good about where the temperature on the brew head is (using the process you describe above), but still need to dial in my grind size and tamping pressure. The last 2 shots I pulled were 16g in 35ish-g out in around 35-45 seconds, using a dark roast. I've got a light roast coming in that I am looking forward to trying and already seeing ways I can improve my work flow. I was really afraid that I would regret picking up the Flair Pro 2, and I'm very happy to say that there are no regrets. Out of the box I am pulling better quality espresso than what most of my local cafes serve. Thanks again for the advice and tips.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

You're welcome! I've never thrown out a shot entirely - since you can adjust pressure or output on the fly you can minimize flaws, and those that remain usually fade in an americano or flat white 👍

I'm very happy to be at a point where the bean quality seems to matter most.

i own every Bionicle
Oct 23, 2005

cstm ttle? kthxbye

Argona posted:

I broke my French press! It was just a cheap acrylic thing that I got as a present so I’m not super torn up about it, but this does give me the opportunity - I was pretty much using the James Hoffman method that’s supposedly closer to pour over coffee. Should I get an aeropress or go for another French press? I do sometimes brew more than one cup at a time so I’m a bit worried about the size of the aeropress, but if it’s closer to a pour over I’d go for it regardless? Anyone have any thoughts one way or the other?

I don’t think Aeropress vs French press is that comparable because the Aeropress uses a filter and a French press doesn’t. Hoffman’s method makes a very clean cup, but it’s still got a lot more texture than a filtered Aeropress cup, which is a lot cleaner. Also an Aeropress will struggle to fit more than 220 grams or so of water which means if you make bigger batches you have to brew strong and then dilute. You can get French presses in a bunch of different sizes. The Aeropress also brews much quicker and cleans up really easily.

One is not necessarily better than the other, they are just different. If you are curious about the Aeropress you should get one, it’s not a huge investment.

atriptothebeach
Oct 27, 2020

:coffee:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

ChickenWing
Jul 22, 2010

:v:

I got good beans. My coffee is better now.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://baratza.com/introducing-the-encore-esp/

They're making a new encore with espresso capabilities, and it's priced at $200.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

So the upgraded burr and the double step mod?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

George H.W. oval office posted:

That’s what it seems like.

anchorite
Sep 22, 2009

School of How posted:

I think I am going to buy a fully automatic machine. Does anyone here know anything about those? The OP has pretty much nothing to say about this class of machine.

I have no intentions of being a coffee connoisseur. I'm not trying to be the next James Hoffman. I just want a machine I can press a button, and then a cappuccino comes out into a cup.

Also, I want it to be well built, and easy to clean. I also want the UI of the device to be good. I prefer hard buttons and switches that are satisfying to use, over those crappy touch buttons that you have to swipe with your finger to use.

I'm a bit late replying, but my wife and I just bought a Philips 5300 and are really happy with it. I would've like to get a true espresso setup with a separate grinder and semi-automatic machine, but the wife wanted convenience. Having lived with the machine for a month or so now I have to admit that the simplicity of push button > get coffee is really amazing. I'm sure the espresso's not the best but my taste buds can't tell and the milk drinks that come out of the machine are luxurious.

A few notes:
1. The machine took a week or two to dial itself in. For the first while the coffee didn't taste great and the pucks in the waste container were a sloppy mess. But then one day the machine finished whatever internal tuning it was doing and the coffee started tasting better and the waste was pucks instead of slop and it's been great ever since.
2. The capacitive power button is not sensitive enough. I think it's supposed to be a little less sensitive than the rest of the buttons to avoid accidentally turning on the machine, but sometimes it takes a few tries before it registers a press and turns on. Googling around it seems like a common problem.
3. In hindsight we should've just got the cheaper 3200 or 4300 instead of the 5300. The brew group is the same and we don't actually use any of the extra drink options the 5300 comes with.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

I’m hoping so, because I have the double step setup and use mine exclusively for espresso.

The adjustments are no where near fine enough though compared to a higher priced grinder.

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

Synesso's home machine finally dropped: https://synesso.com/es1/

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

bizwank posted:

Looks like a Decent…am I missing more?

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

bizwank posted:

is this the first major Decent rival? i wonder how much it costs

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

Doesn't seem like that to me-

Precision micro-steps from #1-20 optimized for espresso

To me that reads more like actual micro adjustment at the fine end, maybe splitting the finest 5 steps by 4 again, rather than doubling all steps.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

eke out posted:

It looks like it. I started looking into the Decent once I realized that I don't like making milk drinks at home because of the workflow, and the Decent checks all of the boxes I'd like out of a machine in theory. The main thing scaring me off is it being a new company and looking a touch janky. I'll be happy if a company nails this style of machine without it looking cheap or feeling too "techy" for lack of a better word.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Spiggy posted:

It looks like it. I started looking into the Decent once I realized that I don't like making milk drinks at home because of the workflow, and the Decent checks all of the boxes I'd like out of a machine in theory. The main thing scaring me off is it being a new company and looking a touch janky. I'll be happy if a company nails this style of machine without it looking cheap or feeling too "techy" for lack of a better word.

lots of people own decents and seem to love them, it's just most posts about them are in their closed forums where you have to prove you bought one to be allowed to read them. if anything it might be the safest option at the moment by virtue of having products out in the market for years now that generally perform pretty well.

it's really for the type of person that imagines that they can find the Perfect Shot if only they can control every parameter, though

eke out fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Apr 9, 2022

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

Spiggy posted:

What is it about the workflow of other machines that turns you off to making milk drinks? The DE1 machines could be considered a worse milk drink maker for some since they can't brew and steam simultaneously.

Spiggy
Apr 26, 2008

Not a cop

.Z. posted:

What is it about the workflow of other machines that turns you off to making milk drinks? The DE1 machines could be considered mya worse milk drink maker for some since they can't brew and steam simultaneously.

The workflow issue is with my current Silvia and the problems that come with single boiler machines. My apartment counter is too small to fit the depth of most HX/DB machines, so steaming and brewing at once is probably out the question unless I get a Breville Dual Boiler.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

.Z. posted:

What is it about the workflow of other machines that turns you off to making milk drinks? The DE1 machines could be considered a worse milk drink maker for some since they can't brew and steam simultaneously.

john buckman (decent founder) has talked about this and some of the machines are technically capable of simultaneous steam, but they don’t want to enable it because they can’t get totally consistent steam power that way, it always drops off when the brew group is on. as an owner i don’t think it’s a problem since i can start the shot and then do whatever other prep i need for the milk drink and the shot is basically done when i’m ready to steam. the steam is really good on the decent and the workflow is still far better than a single boiler machine since you don’t have to wait for the boiler to come to steam temp.

eke out posted:

the e1 prima has been available for a couple years and hits most of the same features. it’s $6k (~$2k more than a decent) and i would expect the synesso to be in that range

hypnophant fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Apr 9, 2022

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Lol Scott Rao doesn't seem to be impressed with the synesso so far.

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcmmhaMq2uQ

Here is an actual video of it working if anyone is interested in something other than the pictures on the website.

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Whenever I think I’m a snob about coffee for having good beans, a grinder, and a clever maker in the office vs the keurigs my coworkers prefer, Scott Rao comes along and does a Q&A Instagram session to remind me just how much further one can go.

Sweeper
Nov 29, 2007
The Joe Buck of Posting
Dinosaur Gum

Democratic Pirate posted:

Whenever I think I’m a snob about coffee for having good beans, a grinder, and a clever maker in the office vs the keurigs my coworkers prefer, Scott Rao comes along and does a Q&A Instagram session to remind me just how much further one can go.

Reading this thread doesn’t do that for you?

I like the look of synesso, prettier than the decent which… isn’t the most important thing, but it’s nice having pretty things on the counter

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

not surprised that the messy guy who lives for drama with an ownership stake in Decent doesn't like their competitor lol

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

hypnophant posted:

john buckman (decent founder) has talked about this and some of the machines are technically capable of simultaneous steam, but they don’t want to enable it because they can’t get totally consistent steam power that way, it always drops off when the brew group is on. as an owner i don’t think it’s a problem since i can start the shot and then do whatever other prep i need for the milk drink and the shot is basically done when i’m ready to steam. the steam is really good on the decent and the workflow is still far better than a single boiler machine since you don’t have to wait for the boiler to come to steam temp.

I don't disagree, was just calling it out as a possible issue if Spiggy had wanted to be able to do two things at once. It got brought up quite a bit when I was looking into the DE1.

Spiggy posted:

The workflow issue is with my current Silvia and the problems that come with single boiler machines. My apartment counter is too small to fit the depth of most HX/DB machines, so steaming and brewing at once is probably out the question unless I get a Breville Dual Boiler.

The DE1 seems like overkill for that. If you are satisfied with the Silvia's results and aren't looking to do latte art, why not get a heated milk frother like this: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07H195F48
Alternatively you could go the stove top route or get a mini-hotplate and get a bellman steamer and be able to do steamed milk with microfoam and everything.

AnimeIsTrash posted:

I like that the Synesso has a dedicated hot water spout and, presumably, a sealed water chamber. Was not a fan of DE1's approach to those aspects.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

.Z. posted:

I like that the Synesso has a dedicated hot water spout and, presumably, a sealed water chamber. Was not a fan of DE1's approach to those aspects.

?? the decent has the same spout, it just exits under the grouphead

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Democratic Pirate posted:

I love following him for stuff like that, although most of it makes me roll my eyes. He did introduce me recently to Lance Hedrick recently who has a pretty cool youtube channel. I've tried both his v60 recipes and they're my gotos now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c?LanceHedrick

.Z.
Jan 12, 2008

hypnophant posted:

?? the decent has the same spout, it just exits under the grouphead

Oooh. I had gotten the idea that it was dispensing water through the grouphead.

Red Crown
Oct 20, 2008

Pretend my finger's a knife.
Checking in from a few pages ago with my BLUE Zojirushi thermos. Perfect flavor preservation, as promised. Excellent temperature retention. My only complaint is that the *POP* of the lid seems to spew coffee droplets all over my desk, leaving stains everywhere. Makes me look like a :coffee: maniac, but I might just lean into the look.

Pilfered Pallbearers
Aug 2, 2007

Red Crown posted:

Checking in from a few pages ago with my BLUE Zojirushi thermos. Perfect flavor preservation, as promised. Excellent temperature retention. My only complaint is that the *POP* of the lid seems to spew coffee droplets all over my desk, leaving stains everywhere. Makes me look like a :coffee: maniac, but I might just lean into the look.

Trick is to open it with your fingers supporting the back of the lid so it doesn’t spring as hard.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Or view the sound of the pop in your office a sign of dominance.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
A goon-owned coffee roastery in NJ got a good write up! He sells through SAmart.
https://www.nj.com/food/2022/04/njs-best-coffee-roaster-is-hidden-in-south-jersey-national-site-says.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

Oh nice. I still need to order from them.