Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Professor Beetus posted:

Holy poo poo these archers might be the worst From has ever created. Homing arrows that let them loving Wanted bullet curve me around corners and ledges, insane amounts of damage per shot, multiple shots, crazy firing rate, and on top of that they're the only enemies in this thing that respawn? What the actual gently caress lmao

The worst part is I can’t tell which part you’re talking about

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

Post to browser, THEN copy that URL

thehandtruck
Mar 5, 2006

the thing about the jews is,
Does anybody know the nitty gritty technical stuff behind zip glitches and wrong warps? I'm interested in this for some weird reason. Like I get what's happening in the game, but what about in the computer lol

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)
Also I just beat Mohg. And like, what's his deal?

His mini-me self is trying to stop me from reaching the 3 fingers? Or did I just stumble into him and he can't get the platforming section right?

Then I find his dope pad, but he's raising an army of.. plump sorts and uncontrollable raptors. For Lord's sake they clearly just stole a Tiba Mariner's horn. Is he scary? Is he a joke? I get "tale of house hoslow told in blood :jerkbag:" vibes from the whole place.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Quick question about Jarburg's quest: So I gave Jar-Bairn Alexander's remains and now he's hosed off, but he did so before Diallos usually appears. Am I hosed? I'd love a 2nd Haslow's whip but I am really fuckin cursed with these NPC quests

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

MEIN RAVEN posted:

That's what I'm rocking now, and it has been GREAT. But I'm worried the ultimate is a bit too slow for some of these final bosses. Malekith in particular, but I really only tried a few times before I just kind of meh'ed out of there. I'll give it another shot tomorrow. I'm saving Malenia for the last possible moment... (please tell me I can try Malenia after I beat the game)

Full on arcane bleed is the best build. Except for the final boss, they are completely immune to bleed. But it destroys every other boss. And yeah i agree with the previous poster that blasphemous blade wrecks malenia. Faith build is good for final boss too as you can just stack holy damage to an insane degree

And yes you can fight Malenia after beating the game. Just dont select NG+ when given the choice

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Epic High Five posted:

Quick question about Jarburg's quest: So I gave Jar-Bairn Alexander's remains and now he's hosed off, but he did so before Diallos usually appears. Am I hosed? I'd love a 2nd Haslow's whip but I am really fuckin cursed with these NPC quests

You're probably hosed because resolving the Diallos thing involved repeatedly talking to Jar-Bairn and Diallos and resting. If Jar-Bairn is no longer there, welp.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Professor Beetus posted:

You're probably hosed because resolving the Diallos thing involved repeatedly talking to Jar-Bairn and Diallos and resting. If Jar-Bairn is no longer there, welp.

Well gently caress lol, thorned whip farming it is then I guess

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames
The jars just seesawing their arms in a field of flowers is adorable and I don't even care about the horrible nightmare lore of their existence.

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

The Anime Liker posted:

The jars just seesawing their arms in a field of flowers is adorable and I don't even care about the horrible nightmare lore of their existence.

The Jars all remind me of siegmeyer of catarina and is easily my favorite part of the game.

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*

Professor Beetus posted:

Holy poo poo these archers might be the worst From has ever created. Homing arrows that let them loving Wanted bullet curve me around corners and ledges, insane amounts of damage per shot, multiple shots, crazy firing rate, and on top of that they're the only enemies in this thing that respawn? What the actual gently caress lmao

start of Haligtree is worse :getin:

Epic High Five posted:

lol maybe.

Fissurefury posted:

I basically want for nothing, I must be above lvl 180. 60 Vigor, 35 Mind, 40 End, minimum Dex and Str for all whips, 25 Faith for Golden Vow, 50 Arcane.

61 poise, a huge stamina pool, and talismans for healing and damage on successive attacks plus the hood and talisman for damage on bleed.

Vow after my Mimic is ready and go nuts. Completely vaporizes bosses, even without blood.

lol drat you're 60 levels above me. they really should have scaled NG+ enemy health, everything is weaker than end game poo poo.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

War Wizard posted:

Do you still get the credit? If so, lol. What a great place to sit and watch.
you do, not like it really matters for an invader character

same goes for literally any field boss in the game afaik

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsFD3mgfJE

Why do they keep doing my boy Radahn dirty like this bros...

Hogama
Sep 3, 2011

thehandtruck posted:

Does anybody know the nitty gritty technical stuff behind zip glitches and wrong warps? I'm interested in this for some weird reason. Like I get what's happening in the game, but what about in the computer lol
Wrong Warps aren't even unique to Elden Ring, but basically there's "fail-safe" default locations in every region where, if the game can't use your current coordinates for whatever reason (such as being illegal since it would result in being stuck in geometry, not having time to properly store your newest coordinates in a zone despite knowing your save information says you should be in that zone, or two separate warps trying to process at the same time), it will spit you out at upon loading. One of the major places this trick is used is to force it into putting you at the default location of CFA after queueing up a Memory of Grace while in the zone after being teleported from The Four Belfries and then teleporting to a different area and quitting from the menu before everything plays out.

I don't know if they've really quite worked out the internal logic of zip glitches, but it's apparently some weird interaction of the game trying to link the idle_block animation and the walking animation that are on different frame cycles, and getting it to happen in frame refresh window apparently results in some massive acceleration that "zips" you across the map. Speedrunners have been using metronomes and lower resolutions to create the most favorable timing for hitting that frame.

Your Gay Uncle
Feb 16, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Does the giant rat summons outperform my 3 pups in the early game? They seem a little weaker, but there are 4 of them after level 6 and my wolf bros have been putting in work through 3 characters now

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

War Wizard posted:

His mini-me self is trying to stop me from reaching the 3 fingers? Or did I just stumble into him and he can't get the platforming section right?

Then I find his dope pad, but he's raising an army of.. plump sorts and uncontrollable raptors. For Lord's sake they clearly just stole a Tiba Mariner's horn. Is he scary? Is he a joke? I get "tale of house hoslow told in blood :jerkbag:" vibes from the whole place.

I presume he's put a projection of himself there because he and his brother are both trying to keep the three fingers locked away, since the path behind him has one of the golden "sealed by morgott" walls blocking if you go there asap

but yeah you've got the measure of it, he's gone crazy because of messing with the blood god (and miquella) and the new dynasty his little cult of serial killers is totally just about to usher in is never gonna happen. the description for his armour for example:

"Attire of Mohg, Lord of Blood, embroidered with an extravagant gold emblem on black cloth.

The dress of a Luminary, the reigning lord and hierarch of the coming dynasty of Mohgwyn. Or perhaps, of a raving lunatic."

another for the pile of souls bosses that hold huge personal power but are completely insane, pitiful wrecks in practice

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer
Faffing about in multiplayer just for Vaare's quest, it's good to see that some things never change...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FiAcB-OKzw

Also, I may have discovered the most Pro GamerTM strat for quick rune acquisition: have the game just give them to you :v:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Fp5g-B5WFU

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Gologle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQsFD3mgfJE

Why do they keep doing my boy Radahn dirty like this bros...

This reminds me, whenever I go into his arena there's a bunch of player messages over the water and I can't figure out how they got there. That water never gets a bridge over it or anything. Is it some weird thing where the messages on the opposite shore are being positioned incorrectly or something?

The Little Kielbasa
Mar 29, 2001

and another thing: im not mad. please dont put in the newspaper that i got mad.
I'm in a farming kind of mood for some reason; got the magma blade, octopus helm, and bubble greathorn today. Anybody have some ideas on other rare drops that are useful/interesting/cool-looking?

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat

The Anime Liker posted:

People being raised for terrible reasons and finding some meaning in their life contrary to their “intended” purpose are worth thinking about. Sometimes it works out (Jars) and sometimes it doesn’t Blaidd

This fits well into my anti-colonizer interpretation of the game

Mr. Crow
May 22, 2008

Snap City mayor for life

I would simply roll in a slightly different direction.

I'm sure malekith was thinking the same thing "JUST loving STOP ROLLING EXACTLY THAT SAME WAY"

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

gently caress YOU CAELID

If you're dumb enough to buy a new weapon this weekend, you're a big enough schmuck to come to Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe!

BAD DEALS! WEAPONS THAT BREAK! INVADERS!

If you think you're going to find a deal at Kale's, you can KISS MY rear end!

It's our belief that you're such a stupid motherfucker that you'll fall for this bullshit, GUARANTEED!

If you find a weapon elsewhere with better damage scaling? SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end! YOU HEARD US RIGHT! SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end!

Bring your runes! Bring your horse! Bring your maiden! WE'LL gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT, WE'LL gently caress YOUR MAIDEN!

Because at Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe, you're hosed six ways to Stomveil!

TAKE A HIKE to Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Home of poo poo Rolling!

THAT'S RIGHT! poo poo ROLLING!

How does it work? If you can roll around in six feet of poo poo, and not get Scarlet Rot, you get no down payment!

DON'T WAIT! DON'T DELAY! DON'T gently caress WITH US, OR WE'LL RIP YOUR NUTS OFF!

Only at Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe: The only merchant that tells you to gently caress OFF!

HURRY UP, rear end in a top hat! This event ends the moment you give us a Golden Rune, and it better be a high value one, or you're a dead motherfucker!

GO TO HELL!

Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Caelid's filthiest and exclusive home of the meanest Tarnished in the Lands Between! GUARANTEED!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Malenia down in NG+, jesus she's even harder in this but god bless she still isn't stronger than two giant-crushers and bloodhound step

edit - I just got 1 million loving souls for it too lmfao

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
I equip a talisman so I'd have enough faith to cast inescapable frenzy (grab) and one shot the mad tongue invader at the roundtable for 4.5k :drat:

I had flame give me strength up so I assume that helped but it seems pretty great for invaders that spawn in next to you. I wonder if it works on bellbearing hunter or if the bloodflame buff works on it to add bleed to the madness effect.

Takes No Damage
Nov 20, 2004

The most merciful thing in the world, I think, is the inability of the human mind to correlate all its contents. We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage far.

Grimey Drawer

Max Wilco posted:

gently caress YOU CAELID

If you're dumb enough to buy a new weapon this weekend, you're a big enough schmuck to come to Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe!

BAD DEALS! WEAPONS THAT BREAK! INVADERS!

If you think you're going to find a deal at Kale's, you can KISS MY rear end!

It's our belief that you're such a stupid motherfucker that you'll fall for this bullshit, GUARANTEED!

If you find a weapon elsewhere with better damage scaling? SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end! YOU HEARD US RIGHT! SHOVE IT UP YOUR UGLY rear end!

Bring your runes! Bring your horse! Bring your maiden! WE'LL gently caress HER! THAT'S RIGHT, WE'LL gently caress YOUR MAIDEN!

Because at Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe, you're hosed six ways to Stomveil!

TAKE A HIKE to Crazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Home of poo poo Rolling!

THAT'S RIGHT! poo poo ROLLING!

How does it work? If you can roll around in six feet of poo poo, and not get Scarlet Rot, you get no down payment!

DON'T WAIT! DON'T DELAY! DON'T gently caress WITH US, OR WE'LL RIP YOUR NUTS OFF!

Only at Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe: The only merchant that tells you to gently caress OFF!

HURRY UP, rear end in a top hat! This event ends the moment you give us a Golden Rune, and it better be a high value one, or you're a dead motherfucker!

GO TO HELL!

Krazy Kale's Weapon Shoppe! Caelid's filthiest and exclusive home of the meanest Tarnished in the Lands Between! GUARANTEED!

I could hear all of this in the Youtube video's voice :lol:

Sapozhnik
Jan 2, 2005

Nap Ghost
pretty hosed up that from dropped the goty not even two months into the year

every other game dev is like "well poo poo now our garbage has to compete against elden ring for the next ten months"

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

SHISHKABOB posted:

Maybe Miriel was born after Godfrey became Elden Lord and doesn't really know any better.

Yes that's right, you're all now imagining baby Miriel.

Also a neat thing I noticed during the Vaati video is that the tail whip crucible art looks very similar to the tail that the Godskin Noble has. I think Noble even does a tail whip attack?? Not sure. Also the big frog fire belch move reminds me of the one Serpent man who seems to be wearing a big fake bulbous head in Volcano Manor. Maybe he's emulating this ancient frog behavior as some kind of religious symbolism...

oh nnoooo the weird vaat theories are rising

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
The fire belch comes from Tanith’s bodyguard actually. No idea what that means lorewise

The tail definitely resembles the godskin tail but idk why

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

emdash posted:

The fire belch comes from Tanith’s bodyguard actually. No idea what that means lorewise

The tail definitely resembles the godskin tail but idk why

Tanith's bodyguard is another Crucible Knight.

Assessor of Maat
Nov 20, 2019

hazardousmouse posted:

oh nnoooo the weird vaat theories are rising

hardly weird theories when the game's telling you outright

"Robe made by sewing together patches of smooth skin. Subcutaneous fat makes it plump and soft. Worn by Godskin Nobles, known for their seven-face aprons.

Strengthens the Noble Presence incantation.

Nobles are the most ancient apostles who are said to have assimilated inhuman physiology. Not unlike the crucible, the Erdtree in its primordial form."

pretty explicit connection between two there

snake wizard with the egg hat is probably unrelated though, it's using fire sorcery pretty much the same as the ones you get and doesn't really look anything like the fire breath either

Assessor of Maat fucked around with this message at 03:17 on Apr 9, 2022

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Regarding the effect of summons on difficulty, as someone who has been relying significantly on them (and is probably having a better time for it), they definitely kinda trivialize some stuff in a way that feels "cheap" (and I'm not someone with much previous Soulsborne experience - I've played most of one playthrough of DS1 and less than half of DS2).

It's not so much "having a strong tool" (like choosing to use a powerful weapon or sorcery - stuff that just increases numbers) as it is "something that removes most of the mechanics in a fight for as long as it survives." Most of the difficulty in these games seems to come from the pressure the bosses put on you (and the need for accuracy in responding to their mechanics), and the ability to effectively have a "tank" negates that. It kind of reminds me if FF14 bosses with respect to the importance of handling "mechanics" (and an FF14 fight would be boring if you had the ability to just stop mechanics from applying to your character for most if the fight). I kind of wish that I had tried Margit without my summons (minus the NPC guy) first, since it ended up being really anticlimactic with my goblins holding his attention 80% of the time.

So ultimately I'm happy summons exist, but I also agree that the better ones are a bit of a "crutch" in a way beyond other powerful abilities. I'll at least attempt any new bosses without summons the first couple times. I like having the option to effectively "lower the difficulty" though (and will absolutely use it on bosses of types I've already fought).

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
returned this Dung Heap for COD vanguard then flipped that into lego star wars. Couldn't be happier!

Dukes Mayo Clinic
Aug 31, 2009

The Cheshire Cat posted:

This reminds me, whenever I go into his arena there's a bunch of player messages over the water and I can't figure out how they got there. That water never gets a bridge over it or anything. Is it some weird thing where the messages on the opposite shore are being positioned incorrectly or something?

I once spawned as an invader at the bottom of the water, unable to get out, but undamaged. I saw lots of messages twenty feet midair / on the water’s surface, so I wrote another which popped into existence up there, never to be read or rated.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
I’ve engaged with ER as a PvP game, specifically with invasions, way more than I have with other soulsborne stuff and honestly it owns. There’s so much build variety and so many fun tools. I have like 30 hours into a PvP focused char and feel like I could do a few more different builds and get this much mileage. With the whole 1vX thing it almost hits this sandbox MMO vibe from the sort of games that let you try to gank people running group PVE content.

I can totally see how it would be super oppressive in a dueling meta but honestly I think Bloodhound Step is fair game in invasions. You get put into so many 3v1s against everything else that occupies the space of “cheesy pvp bullshit” (along with BHS) that you need some sort of tool that lets you at least be able to reposition and buy time/space.

Levin
Jun 28, 2005

Epic High Five posted:

So I read somewhere that if you get the whip from the invader Juno Hoslow you can't get it from Diallos. However, interestingly I ended up giving my Hoslow whip from June to a friend before complete Diallos' quest. They returned it to me before I finished Jarburg and I was able to secure a second whip.

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

War Wizard posted:

Assessor of Maat posted:

I presume he's put a projection of himself there because he and his brother are both trying to keep the three fingers locked away, since the path behind him has one of the golden "sealed by morgott" walls blocking if you go there asap

but yeah you've got the measure of it, he's gone crazy because of messing with the blood god (and miquella) and the new dynasty his little cult of serial killers is totally just about to usher in is never gonna happen. the description for his armour for example:

"Attire of Mohg, Lord of Blood, embroidered with an extravagant gold emblem on black cloth.

The dress of a Luminary, the reigning lord and hierarch of the coming dynasty of Mohgwyn. Or perhaps, of a raving lunatic."

another for the pile of souls bosses that hold huge personal power but are completely insane, pitiful wrecks in practice

I actually had just gotten home from work and was pondering this exact topic myself. Putting everything in block spoilers since I can't be bothered at 10:30 pm:

OK, so two things stand out to me here about Mohg in the Shunning Grounds.

1. He's very mundane. He looks like Mohg still, he has his trident, but he doesn't really use any of his blood magic obviously, nor the pedophile Latin, or anything like that
2. He's Mohg and not Mahg or Magog or whatever, unlike Morgott who for whatever reason needed to provide plausible deniability. Just Mohg, the Omen.

And a few other details strike me when I think about his deal:

1. Varre putting you through all the tests before he finally accepts you into the "covenant"
  2. The tests also involving killing a finger maiden specifically
  3. Gideon Ofnir saying "The one known only as the Lord of Blood"

Mohg the Omen is a decoy, he's meant to serve to convince the other demigods that Mohg is just chilling in the Shunning Grounds and has absolutely no aspirations to anything beyond that. That's how he survived the Shattering intact when Malenia, Morgott, Radahn all fought the gently caress outta each other. Rykard got eaten. Ranni got "murdered". Meanwhile, Mohg lurks while plotting his pedophilia blood fantasies before finally kidnapping Miquella.

And NO ONE SUSPECTS because, after all, if they wanted to check on him, he's still i the fuckbarrel below Leyndell right? And if you interact with him he has nothing going for him. Probably whenever he stumbled across the Formless Mother stuff (speaking of DLC candidates) he went "Oh poo poo" and set up the fake illusion while telling NO MOM I'M JUST IN MY BEDROOM KNOCK FIRST!

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Assessor of Maat posted:

snake wizard with the egg hat is probably unrelated though, it's using fire sorcery pretty much the same as the ones you get and doesn't really look anything like the fire breath either

Yeah it was a wild guess, I never got a very good look at him in game.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

SKULL.GIF posted:

pedophile Latin

Wat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

luv 2 embrace the meta