Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

canyonero posted:

Pretty sure this has been how the iPhone and iOS have behaved since long before iCloud existed.

It goes all the way back to the original iPod/iTunes as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
What happened there was that grandpa doesn't know how USB works and MarcusSA was 100% right all along.

iTunes takes a while to install the drivers after the trust prompt, it's working on it in the background. That's the rest of the problems.

EDIT: To be perfectly clear, iTunes takes a while to install the device with the drivers, the drivers were always there. Just ran across it myself today, it takes about five minutes.

endlessmonotony fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Apr 8, 2022

The Dave
Sep 9, 2003

History Comes Inside! posted:

It is pretty lovely that it takes a bunch of extra steps or third party software or intermediate cloud services to just get data from A to B when there’s a cable right there.

As much as there was an awful lot of old man yells at cloud going on throughout that entire thrilling multi-page saga it could definitely be easier if Apple wanted it to be, but they would understandably rather sell you iCloud.

It's funny because it's never been easier to get a file on an iPhone and iCloud has a free tier.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Now you can say the past three pages are easier than just tossing something on Google Drive.

It's something you can say.

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through
Even funnier is if he just bought an iPhone doesn’t he get Apple Music free for six months

e: literally the first album when you search for Cat Stevens

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

It is pretty lovely that it takes a bunch of extra steps or third party software or intermediate cloud services to just get data from A to B when there’s a cable right there.

As much as there was an awful lot of old man yells at cloud going on throughout that entire thrilling multi-page saga it could definitely be easier if Apple wanted it to be, but they would understandably rather sell you iCloud.

Setting up iCloud or Plex or any similar/equivalent file management system that eliminates the need for cables, external drives, etc., for data transfer is about as difficult and time consuming as plugging in a cable and copying/pasting files these days. Lmao. It's only a bunch of extra steps if you refuse to engage with those platforms for whatever arbitrary reason.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I haven’t changed my workflow in 15 years and I’m not about to start now!

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

The Lord Bude posted:

Cloud storage is the reality of modern computing. It’s perfectly secure and there is no reason not to just let stuff sync auto magically. Life will be a lot easier if you just get over it and use things as they were intended. Digging your heels in and insisting on trying to do everything the way you did it 20 years ago is just going to give you a headache.
Ah y'all shut up with that attitude, especially in the face of cloud providers scanning everything you upload. And no, I don't have anything to hide, nor am I a pedo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Even Apple, the people's champion for protecting our privacy, will give up anything you have stored on iCloud if it's legally requested (which in practical terms is going to be your purchase history, photos, and emails if you use their email service).

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

xzzy posted:

Even Apple, the people's champion for protecting our privacy, will give up anything you have stored on iCloud if it's legally requested (which in practical terms is going to be your purchase history, photos, and emails if you use their email service).

Good thing my iPhone is perfectly sec- oh no!

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

Well yeah that’s how court orders work.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

MarcusSA posted:

Well yeah that’s how court orders work.

But the statement being refuted is that icloud is "perfectly secure." Uncle sam being able to get a feed of your fetish collection is pretty far from perfectly secure. :v:

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Oh no, my precious data! Lol.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

EL BROMANCE posted:

If it’s just media we’re talking about, get the VLC app and you can transfer to it over wifi easily enough.

The OP specifically said "files".

They want to put their dadgum files on their dadgum phone.

As in no, they don't want you to know what or why just move the files.

It's either a good impression of an old confused guy or an actual one.

e: oh it's music, lol

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I'll be an old man defender here and say there are times where getting files onto a phone without cloud stuff is nice. Like loading in gigs of poo poo I'll never play into the Files app for use with RetroArch. Don't really wanna have to upload and then download that stuff from PC > cloud > phone. And for as unreliable as iTunes has always been for music syncing via a cable, the wifi syncing has been even worse in my experience.

Kia Soul Enthusias
May 9, 2004

zoom-zoom
Toilet Rascal
Yeah I dislike Apple's proprietary approach to everything

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.
I just found out how much headphones for this thing cost.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Gripweed posted:

EarPods are $20 so not that outrageous.

If you want wireless, the Beats Flex are around $50 and a really great value for all the features you get.

~Coxy
Dec 9, 2003

R.I.P. Inter-OS Sass - b.2000AD d.2003AD

Weedle posted:

Samsung also heavily advertises itself and the phone's features in the notification panel. Almost every time you pick up your Galaxy S22, you will see several notifications from various Samsung apps mixed in with the notifications you actually care about. At the moment, Samsung is commandeering my notification panel to advertise the "Secure Wi-Fi" feature, which seems to be some sort of Samsung VPN. The Samsung Theme app really wants me to change the wallpaper for some reason. Samsung's "Find my mobile" app wants me to "back up" my phone's lock screen PIN, which would presumably make it available on the Internet somewhere. Another notification tells me that the apps I don't use will be put to sleep by the system.

I'm sure we can all agree Sarnsung's phones are a mess of duplicate apps and bloatware but Apple does most of this poo poo too.

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

Jose Oquendo posted:

EarPods are $20 so not that outrageous.

If you want wireless, the Beats Flex are around $50 and a really great value for all the features you get.

Also you can use Plantronics or Skull Candy or whatever else you like. It's not very limiting.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Gripweed posted:

The adapter is $7 or you can get a 3 pack for $11.

Its also a pretty drat good DAC.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I've finally ordered a four pack of airtags.

One will go into my e-bike. Issue is, I live on the third floor, the bike stays in the basement. I sure hope the people on the first floor immediately above my basement room don't own an iPhone, because I'm sure they're going to appreciate the constant unwanted tracking warning (or whatever the hell is it actually called).

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

~Coxy posted:

I'm sure we can all agree Sarnsung's phones are a mess of duplicate apps and bloatware but Apple does most of this poo poo too.

If I bought a Sarnsung phone I’d expect a crappy experience too

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

I've finally ordered a four pack of airtags.

One will go into my e-bike. Issue is, I live on the third floor, the bike stays in the basement. I sure hope the people on the first floor immediately above my basement room don't own an iPhone, because I'm sure they're going to appreciate the constant unwanted tracking warning (or whatever the hell is it actually called).

I got one for my e-bike too and was going to ask the thread about that since I'd rather not have the tag give away it's presence too quickly after being stolen but I can only assume that it takes more than an hour to start alerting.

Given the way I use my bike I'd be aware of it within a few hours max if it was stolen so I think it's a non issue. Id like to think apple accounted for a use case like this at least.

Still need to receive it and find a decent hiding spot on the bike but I think I've got a good spot figured out.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009

Question Mark Mound posted:

I'll be an old man defender here and say there are times where getting files onto a phone without cloud stuff is nice. Like loading in gigs of poo poo I'll never play into the Files app for use with RetroArch. Don't really wanna have to upload and then download that stuff from PC > cloud > phone. And for as unreliable as iTunes has always been for music syncing via a cable, the wifi syncing has been even worse in my experience.

Documents by Readdle will establish a local secure connection over your Wi-Fi, using a simple browser URL to do the handshake. You can fling whatever files you like, and the app should handle them. Even FLACs.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Combat Pretzel posted:

Ah y'all shut up with that attitude, especially in the face of cloud providers scanning everything you upload. And no, I don't have anything to hide, nor am I a pedo.

I consider that a good thing and I applaud them for it.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

xzzy posted:

But the statement being refuted is that icloud is "perfectly secure." Uncle sam being able to get a feed of your fetish collection is pretty far from perfectly secure. :v:

It’s secure for the purposes of criminals accessing your data. Law enforcement being able to get hold of your data with a warrant is how things are supposed to work, it’s no different from them getting a search warrant to search your house.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Yeah authorities around the world have never ever overreached or used their privileged access to various sources of information inappropriately, it’s definitely crazy to just not want to give any of them the opportunity to go fishing in your personal life for shits and giggles if you can help it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got no opinion on law enforcement or thieves or anyone else that wants access to my cat pictures.

I just wanted to point out that icloud is not impenetrable, Apple can and will give out your data if compelled to. Apologies to everyone for clarifying something. :shrug:

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

Snapdrop is also great for sending files between devices. It forms a direct connection between devices on a wifi network using WebRTC, but you can also self-host if you don’t trust the devs’ hosted version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

Yeah authorities around the world have never ever overreached or used their privileged access to various sources of information inappropriately, it’s definitely crazy to just not want to give any of them the opportunity to go fishing in your personal life for shits and giggles if you can help it.

You're assuming my life is interesting enough to snoop around :v:

The paranoia around using cloud storage or even things like having smart speakers always listening in your home are hilarious to me. Like what are these nebulous entities gonna do with that data those devices have/generate from me? Sell it? Ok, to who? And why? I don't care. Lol.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

if this is a real concern you should be storing that data on an airgapped machine at the very least

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

Honestly iTunes blows hard and I'd rather it just show as a drive on my computer. And I love my iPhone. Also there's a ton of bloatware on iOS devices but at least you can delete just about all of it.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iTunes the app is dead anyways, it gets no more updates and doesn't even exist on OSX. They keep it available for windows because there's no other option. But it's slow and lovely and barely works.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

iTunes on windows has always been godawful, even compared to the macOS version when it existed. It’s actually surprising Apple was happy to have people’s first impression of Apple stuff be that awful.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

xzzy posted:

iTunes the app is dead anyways, it gets no more updates and doesn't even exist on OSX.

It doesn’t? It’s just been renamed “Music” ..

You can even restore the old column filtering behavior from 2001 by selecting Songs and turning on the Browser view

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

teagone posted:

You're assuming my life is interesting enough to snoop around :v:

The paranoia around using cloud storage or even things like having smart speakers always listening in your home are hilarious to me. Like what are these nebulous entities gonna do with that data those devices have/generate from me? Sell it? Ok, to who? And why? I don't care. Lol.
While it's highly unlikely that certain entities may penetrate large cloud providers to get their jollies off, there's frequently news about cops and people with similar privileged access using any databases at hand to stalk their crushes or people they'd like to take revenge on for petty poo poo, and crap like that. (Note: I live in Europe, where there's still some semblance of oversight over police and such. That's why things like that are still news here.)

Then again, whoever does human review of your poo poo when things get (false positively) flagged, who knows what these chucklefucks will do.

I don't give a poo poo about meme JPGs, music files and whatever the hell of random poo poo I have on either my GDrive and on OneDrive. But when I'd like to transport content, that I consider personally sensitive, in an USB-stickish manner like in ye olden times, with the device I have in my pocket, I certainly don't need a goon breathing down my neck telling me to go with the times.

--edit:
Also, depending on file size, slow as poo poo internet is a road block.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Apr 9, 2022

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

The Lord Bude posted:

iTunes on windows has always been godawful, even compared to the macOS version when it existed. It’s actually surprising Apple was happy to have people’s first impression of Apple stuff be that awful.

Yeah, it was pretty terrible when iPods were 5-20gig max, but when iPhones got larger in capacity, it really became miserable. I spun up a Hackintosh back in the day just to be able to use the Mac version.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

What would be considered sensitive content. Bank statements? Nudes?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

teagone posted:

What would be considered sensitive content. Bank statements? Nudes?

It’s whatever you want it to be. Ultimately it’s irrelevant what the content is, the fact remains it would be nice if you had the option to not have some nebulous third party get their sticky fingers all over it just because you want to move it from a to b.

I don’t have anything worth hiding but I still don’t want to keep normalising the idea that we should just stick everything in the cloud where we lose all control of whatever that data may be. That’s the slippery slope that’s already leading us to bulk surveillance and the erosion of privacy and civil liberties that comes with it pretty much all around the world. But that’s a bit too heavy a topic for this, the iPhone thread about iPhones.