Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Agreed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Ever since I was a teenager and read an article by him in guitar world I knew he was a massive dork who I respected but didn't like. Same with patrucci, satriani, and yngwie who were always in every issue

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

The price of meat has just gone up, and your old lady has just gone down

Sometimes I wonder what life might be like if I had signed up as my close second name choice, Big Dik Turkeynuts

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Spanish Manlove posted:

Ever since I was a teenager and read an article by him in guitar world I knew he was a massive dork who I respected but didn't like. Same with patrucci, satriani, and yngwie who were always in every issue

I don't know about the other two, but Yngwie is the most arrogant rear end in a top hat I know of basically, or at least that how he comes of in interviews and videos. He's obviously incredibly talented, but otherwise, he's the worst. Compare to Vai, who is equally talented (maybe a bit less, but who cares), but is generally just a chill dude who does his own thing and is able to see that other people are doing different cool things.

I like their respective attitudes to Cobain: Yngwie thinks he's a no good hack who should have never had a record deal, while Vai is like "yeah, that's some loving good playing, I could never do that".

My point is gently caress Yngwie.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

BonHair posted:

I don't know about the other two, but Yngwie is the most arrogant rear end in a top hat I know of basically, or at least that how he comes of in interviews and videos. He's obviously incredibly talented, but otherwise, he's the worst. Compare to Vai, who is equally talented (maybe a bit less, but who cares), but is generally just a chill dude who does his own thing and is able to see that other people are doing different cool things.

I like their respective attitudes to Cobain: Yngwie thinks he's a no good hack who should have never had a record deal, while Vai is like "yeah, that's some loving good playing, I could never do that".

My point is gently caress Yngwie.

A friend of mine got offered a gig as Yngwie's tour manager in the late 90's. He had never even been on tour or managed anything. He was barely 20 and had literally no relevant connections or experience. He was basically just standing nearby when the last remaining tour manager in the world that hadn't already told Yngwie to go gently caress himself, did exactly that.

He turned down the offer.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Yngwie is a legendary rear end in a top hat, top of the heat, whereas Steve Vai just got really into himself around the time of Sex & Religion and thought he was going to change the world with a wierd little band that didn't do enough rehearsals. There are greater sins. George Lynch can be a prick on a bad day, but I guess if I had to be in public on my bad days too someone would say worse poo poo about me. He tried to pick up the wife of my old boss, while the guy was standing right there, that's kinda special I guess.

Petrucci seems like a pretty harmless dude who just likes to play guitar, which is my impression of Satriani also (and Satriani taught some cool guitarists who went on to play in pop bands, I think that's neat). Maybe Eric Johnson is secretly chaotic evil... Never met him.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

When choosing your dorky 80s shred guitar hero, kindly consider Paul Gilbert. He's a genuinely likable, sweet human being who also can play circles around anyone who ever lived, and the guy can actually write good songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmvoAQUQzTk

Also, he's had some serious Stupid Music poo poo signature models:

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

I was going to mention PG, he’s a lovable goofball.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
Pg is chaotic good, Vai is lawful neutral, and yngwie is chaotic evil

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR
Satriani's skill has always seemed to lay more towards being a teacher than anything. He's a great technical player but if you look at his list of students he's probably taught more legit monster players than just about anybody else.

You don't get to Vai's level of shred without clearly being in love with lots of aspects of music, but everything he does seems to have a vague 90s 3D render feel about it.

This is Vai vibes. Don't @ me for an explanation.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

darkwasthenight posted:

This is Vai vibes. Don't @ me for an explanation.

I don’t need to because you are 100% correct.

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Yeah, that’s nailed it.

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

May I one day create a song worthy of a '90s trapper keeper graphic, amen

Malaria
Oct 21, 2017

I like Buckethead for my shred-based guitar hero guy.

Nobody really knows what he's like in person. He has an insane amount of music out there(Like Frank Zappa is the only person I can think of with more). Plus he can do nunchucks and breakdance(and often does both at shows).
Buckethead can play as fast as anyone mentioned, but he also has a ton of clean/funk/ambient/bluesy tracks out there too. So not just all aggressive shred music. I think it's why I like him so much, he does everything.

I have probably listened to Buckethead more than any other band/person out there. He's just my favorite.

I still hate myself for not buying a Buckethead Signature Les Paul when they were around. I thought at 3k they were kinda expensive. Can't even find the cheaper studio model for less than 8k now :(

Paul Gilbert rules too.

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Spanish Manlove posted:

Pg is chaotic good, Vai is lawful neutral, and yngwie is chaotic evil

So we need DND alignments for EVH, Buckethead, John Petrucci, and Satch.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Malaria posted:

I still hate myself for not buying a Buckethead Signature Les Paul when they were around. I thought at 3k they were kinda expensive. Can't even find the cheaper studio model for less than 8k now :(

Good news, AliExpress has you covered

US $319.00 | Electric Guitar Kill Switch Buckethead Style Guitar, 24 Frets, Alpine White Guitarra High Quality Free Shipping
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mqx2EJY

Planet X
Dec 10, 2003

GOOD MORNING
I saw him with Claypools bucket of bernie brains in California a while back. He's from another planet.

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
I think the crazy thing about guitarists and guitar heroes is that when you have someone like Yngwie I think about how they're a lovely person and also don't do anything I like more than another, not lovely guitarists. Well he wrote that song about his Ferraris I guess.

Point is, Vai, Satriani, Gilbert, Buckethead (by most quiet accounts) and so many more guitar monsters are literally just dudes who play really well. I'd absolutely smash a loving beer (or green tea or whatever) with them because outside of guitar they are good people. Yngwie doesn't even interest me enough musically to even approach overcoming his personality.

Then you have people like Grohl who aren't insanely virtuistic but make great music and are also cool. Corgan falls on the line of plays well, makes great music, and has a personality that will make for a fun time or a bad time. Which is a step up from Yngwie and his ilk. Think about that, you're more likely to enjoy the company of Corgan than Yngwie. That's loving messed up.

Anyway, my point is no amount of widdly widdly will make me care about you unless you're a cool person doing the widdly.

widefault
Mar 16, 2009

syntaxfunction posted:

Corgan falls on the line of plays well, makes great music, and has a personality that will make for a fun time or a bad time. Which is a step up from Yngwie and his ilk. Think about that, you're more likely to enjoy the company of Corgan than Yngwie. That's loving messed up.

Can always talk about cats with him

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Gramps posted:

When choosing your dorky 80s shred guitar hero, kindly consider Paul Gilbert. He's a genuinely likable, sweet human being who also can play circles around anyone who ever lived, and the guy can actually write good songs.

Eeeeh I like the guy as a person and he's obviously a monster player, but I wouldn't say he writes better songs than, for example, Satriani. Aside from the shred fiestas they're pretty rudimentary. And in his interviews he still seems to have a fairly 1980s view of "metal players play like this, and blues players play that that", that he's never really grown past or progressed beyond. I don't think he's very creative, so he's stuck in this basic framework of how he thinks about music.
Meanwhile Petrucci and Vai and Satriani are waaaaay past that at this point.

stratdax fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Apr 9, 2022

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
Scarified has the coolest shred guitar riff

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

I hate this

looks smug too

Chalupa Joe
Mar 4, 2007

widefault posted:

Can always talk about cats with him

That it was to support a local animal shelter is totally fine though... It's the huge cry about it he had on alex jones' show which is the stupid music poo poo.

Chalupa Joe fucked around with this message at 08:41 on Apr 9, 2022

polynominal-c
Jan 18, 2003

Chalupa Joe posted:

That it was to support a local animal shelter is totally fine though... It's the huge cry about it he had on alex jones' show which is the stupid music poo poo.

Wait a second. The guy is laughing. This MUST be a photoshop.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

polynominal-c posted:

Wait a second. The guy is laughing. This MUST be a photoshop.

I dunno, he occasionally seems happy:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=azhgpelu0vY

Animal Friend
Sep 7, 2011

Chrpno posted:

I hate this

looks smug too

i would totally glue a plastic pickup cover to an acoustic like that to gently caress with people.

Gramps
Dec 30, 2006

stratdax posted:

Eeeeh I like the guy as a person and he's obviously a monster player, but I wouldn't say he writes better songs than, for example, Satriani. Aside from the shred fiestas they're pretty rudimentary. And in his interviews he still seems to have a fairly 1980s view of "metal players play like this, and blues players play that that", that he's never really grown past or progressed beyond. I don't think he's very creative, so he's stuck in this basic framework of how he thinks about music.
Meanwhile Petrucci and Vai and Satriani are waaaaay past that at this point.

Only PG has a #1 billboard song... just sayin. Also his recent poo poo is awesome. He plays a fuckload of slide guitar and it rules

Agreed
Dec 30, 2003

Paul Gilbert owns and Mr. Big was pretty cool once upon a time - Billy Sheehan still plays like a monster on bass too

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Agreed posted:

May I one day create a song worthy of a '90s trapper keeper graphic, amen
I like that it has fractals in it.

Billy just had a birthday last week!

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

stratdax posted:

Eeeeh I like the guy as a person and he's obviously a monster player, but I wouldn't say he writes better songs than, for example, Satriani. Aside from the shred fiestas they're pretty rudimentary.
The guy has a prolific catalog. There's a ton of very sophisticated arrangement, harmony, and chord movement in a lot of his solo stuff. Wrong Man is a great example.

If you ever get a chance to watch him sit and just play stump the band... he's an absolute encyclopedia of every song since the 60s. It's amazing to watch.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

duodenum posted:

Buckethead is an instance of Bigby's Giant Hand that never despawned and later became sentient

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

duodenum posted:

Lawful Good, Neutral Evil, Neutral Good, Chaotic Neutral

e: maybe swap Satriani and Petrucci

stratdax
Sep 14, 2006

Dr. Faustus posted:

The guy has a prolific catalog. There's a ton of very sophisticated arrangement, harmony, and chord movement in a lot of his solo stuff. Wrong Man is a great example.

If you ever get a chance to watch him sit and just play stump the band... he's an absolute encyclopedia of every song since the 60s. It's amazing to watch.

I actually have listened to all his albums, along with everybody else's we're talking about. I drive a lot for work so I'll listen to a couple full albums a day. I know the vids you're talking about, with him and Marty Friedman? He's great, you're right he's like an encyclopedia. I think at one point Paul knew every guitar part to every single Rush song. But that's kind of my point, he's no doubt a complete master guitarist, but when he's writing his own stuff... Like are you going back and re-listening to I Can Destroy anytime soon? There's just not much there that would compell me to relisten to it. Pretty basic songs. I dunno I'm not trying to have spicy takes or anything but that's just what I think.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

stratdax posted:

I actually have listened to all his albums, along with everybody else's we're talking about. I drive a lot for work so I'll listen to a couple full albums a day. I know the vids you're talking about, with him and Marty Friedman? He's great, you're right he's like an encyclopedia. I think at one point Paul knew every guitar part to every single Rush song. But that's kind of my point, he's no doubt a complete master guitarist, but when he's writing his own stuff... Like are you going back and re-listening to I Can Destroy anytime soon? There's just not much there that would compell me to relisten to it. Pretty basic songs. I dunno I'm not trying to have spicy takes or anything but that's just what I think.

It's the same old thing of ability overriding taste, and taste is arguably more important. If you can play literally anything, it's real fuckin easy to say absolutely nothing.

JamesKPolk
Apr 9, 2009

Yeah, playing interesting things and writing interesting things are separate (but related) skills, you gotta develop both of them, and there's only so many hours in the day.

Corollary to this is the KLF thing - I think writing a number 1 single is probably more challenging than playing (maybe even writing) an entire prog concept album, even if it seems simpler mechanically when broken down. This tension between commercial and artistic success gives rise to a phenomenon I like to call "the music industry"

duodenum
Sep 18, 2005

Seems like “To Be With You” was just blessed by the MTV brass when rock/metal ballads were all the rock that made it to heavy MTV rotation outside of Handbangers ball.

Silent Lucidity, More Than Words, Don’t Cry, Winds of Change, Love of a Lifetime (Firehouse), Home Sweet Home, etc

(I’m a late Gen X who graduated HS in 1992 and lived it.)

Concatenation
Jul 23, 2005

Your human mentality cries out for vengeance and thrives on the violence you say you can hardly endure.
I think that the hilarity of yngwie’s “more is more” interview and that studio vid where he has the pile of identical strats lying on the floor more than make up for his personality. Trilogy is a decent album but I remember the vocal lines more than any one of his solos, which I’m sure is something that would annoy him

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
A few friends of mine and I went to some G3 or “Generation Axe” shows, one of those dorky all-guitar troupes that kept popping up several years back. This one had Tosin Abasi, Zakk Wylde, Nuno, Vai, and Yngwie.

Even from just watching the show, one of my friends who liked the other players but had never been exposed to Yngwie at all, grew to fully hate him over the course of about 15 minutes. Watching all the other players, he had a good time, but when it was Yngwie’s turn to go, he basically flopped out onto the stage and did non-stop sweep picking shredding while also being a middle aged fat guy wearing a pirate shirt and 25 gold necklaces and gold rings on every finger, who maintained his signature dumb kissy face and scowling eyebrows look and doing big 80’s rock star kicks as high and often as he could the whole time. Just the biggest “I think I’m the greatest thing that ever lived and I’m here to tell everybody all about it” vibes from top to bottom. I knew all about what a chode Yngwie was so I was just amused by the whole thing but I kept looking over at my friend and his scowl just kept getting more and more pronounced until he couldn’t take it anymore, at which point he just got up and walked out to the smoking section outside until Yngwie left the stage. It was great.

GreatGreen fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Apr 10, 2022

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

The strat pile is hilarious, he has zero regard for them lol.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
I've been hanging out with guitarists, reading guitar forums, blah blah blah for 20+ years and I think I've come across one genuine Yngwie superfan in that time. Even if you're deep into neoclassical shred, there's a thousand power metal bands that do it better.