Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Platystemon)

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

mawarannahr posted:

who wants to know?

Mods looking for a loophole

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Rutibex posted:

what's your legal age If your born from a 40 year old frozen embryo

birth day

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

mawarannahr posted:

who wants to know?

This is a far more important question then the original.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Rutibex posted:

It won't make your underage girlfriend ok.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

frozen embryo time is negative so they'd be born -40 years old and thus not eligible to drink in the US until 61 years after birth

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'd imagine it'd be from fertilization and implantation but it wouldn't be the only crazy way age is tracked.

quote:

Korean age is different from international age (or Western age) because of two reasons. First, you are automatically one year old at birth. Second, you age another year because of the turn of the calendar year. Your date of birth doesn’t affect your Korean age.
https://www.90daykorean.com/korean-...0Western%20age.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Rutibex posted:

Our legal age it's generally measured from birth not conception so I don't see why this would be any different

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I'd imagine it'd be from fertilization and implantation but it wouldn't be the only crazy way age is tracked.

drat, I hate sharing my birthday with someone else

blatman
May 10, 2009

14 inc dont mez

i have an illegal age since ive been a rebel since birth

launched headfirst into a poo poo world smoking a blunt the size of my arm

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Rutibex posted:

come out the artificial womb qualifying for aarp discounts hell yeah

Comatoast
Aug 1, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

blatman posted:

i have an illegal age since ive been a rebel since birth

launched headfirst into a poo poo world smoking a blunt the size of my arm

Woo!

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

so koreans all have the same birthdates as steam users???

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

This feels like an "eh this seems to work, maybe we'll try and work something better out later when we have more time" type solution, for if you needed to make a national demographic database and everything was buggy as hell and the age equation didn't work with date birth column and you couldn't figure out what the gently caress it was and the deadline was in a few hours.

(and to save google for those who were also interested, apparently yes Koreans still do traditionally celebrate certain birthdays, but not all! No idea if this has changed more recently. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Korean_birthday_celebrations)

dr_rat has issued a correction as of 08:35 on Apr 8, 2022

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I feel like even frozen they’re still going to go bad eventually.

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

christmas boots posted:

I feel like even frozen they’re still going to go bad eventually.
i expected it to be more "immediately upon freezing" but apparently this is a process that's good for potentially 14 years of storage!?

quote:

The standard method takes about two hours. Negative 196 degrees C. is close to absolute zero, but it's not absolute zero, which is the theoretical temperature at which no biological activity occurs. It is certainly close enough to stop biological activity and allow babies being born from frozen embryos that have been frozen for up to 14 years. Fourteen years is the longest--that I am aware of--for an embryo being frozen that resulted in a live birth.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
"Good" like "still capable of, under best and most auspicious circumstances, producing a live birth", not good like "will result in a live birth reliably".

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

article i'm quoting from (from 2005)

quote:

Are there any limits on how long embryos can be stored?

It is theoretically much longer than [14 years]. It should be a century or two, even, though it's not unreasonable to think there would be some degradation over time. We've learned a lot about cryopreservation since the first embryo freezing around 20 years ago.

What are the numbers on success rates of IVF with frozen embryos?

The first baby from a cryopreserved embryo was born in 1986. The success rate of IVF with frozen embryos is about two thirds of what it would be with fresh embryos. It's difficult to give a definitive number, because it depends on the raw materials you are dealing with.

munce
Oct 23, 2010

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article260245605.html#storylink=readnext

Police blast Disney music to stop YouTuber from filming them in California, video shows
When Hernandez asks officers again about the music, the officer says “because he will get copyright infringement,” the video shows.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

munce posted:

https://www.bellinghamherald.com/news/nation-world/national/article260245605.html#storylink=readnext

Police blast Disney music to stop YouTuber from filming them in California, video shows
When Hernandez asks officers again about the music, the officer says “because he will get copyright infringement,” the video shows.

that’s been happening for years. gently caress Disney

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
don't worry I'm sure disney will sue the cops for unauthorized public performance

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

I’m honestly surprised that Disney didn’t send out bills for punisher decals. idk maybe marvel had a very limited trademark or something.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

they like it

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

if marvel hadn’t protected it for years then if Disney pushed they might lose the mark entirely and that’s probably the worst thing ever to happen if you’re some Disney IP manager.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

hobbesmaster posted:

if marvel hadn’t protected it for years then if Disney pushed they might lose the mark entirely and that’s probably the worst thing ever to happen if you’re some Disney IP manager.

“Use it or lose it” is technically a thing with trademarks, but there’s no loving way that the Mouse’s lawyers would lose that one.

hobbesmaster
Jan 28, 2008

Platystemon posted:

“Use it or lose it” is technically a thing with trademarks, but there’s no loving way that the Mouse’s lawyers would lose that one.

the character is from 1974 and the mouse bought marvel in 2009.

that said the character was used more or less continuously it appears. idk about the logo itself.

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
It's because they're on the same side

other people
Jun 27, 2004
Associate Christ
lol i just tried to find something on twitter and after scrolling a bit a popup covers the screen and won't let you proceed without logging in :rolleyes:

instagram does the same poo poo already.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

other people posted:

lol i just tried to find something on twitter and after scrolling a bit a popup covers the screen and won't let you proceed without logging in :rolleyes:

Yes but how is being unable to look at Twitter and Instagram bad?

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

other people posted:

clear your cookies from twitter and set your browser to auto delete any cookies from twitter

Ruffian Price
Sep 17, 2016

wonder if their metrics say anything about it driving new regs - I'd rather not look at the content. but even if it's completely scaring people off twitter it'll likely stay up for a few more months, a middle manager can never admit a mistake

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

It'll be framed as "here's what we learned"

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Twitter has been doing it since August. I don’t know if they’re rolling it out by geographic are or what, but it’s not cool.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Don’t bother making an account. They won’t even let you view the site if you don’t give them a phone number for “security”.

Inceltown
Aug 6, 2019

Use a nitter instance if you don't have an account. Or even if you do, it's so much faster.

mistermojo
Jul 3, 2004

Platystemon posted:

Don’t bother making an account. They won’t even let you view the site if you don’t give them a phone number for “security”.

you think thats bad, a certain forum charges 10 dollars just to post in it

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

other people posted:

Use nitter

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
ublock origin has optional social media nuisance filters that lets you not login.

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

other people posted:

private mode works for me

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Platystemon posted:

If you wait a month they give up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tunicate posted:

If you wait a month they give up

i told a politician they should die from covid if their are gonna encourage people to get infected and now twitter always demands a phone number