Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Babel is a pretty timely episode and it's often overlooked by fans.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Iggy Pop disgusted by Ferengi probably mostly due to his broken/bruised rib wins by far.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

It’s a late series episode but One Little Ship doesn’t need much foreknowledge and is a fun lighthearted action-y episode.

To The Death, the one where DS9 teams up with some Jem’Hadar to destroy a gateway, is pretty serious but has some decent action.

Rocks and Shoals is a bit outside being a “one off” but as far as the first 6 episodes of season 6 go it’s the most able to stand by itself. It’s also extremely good.

By the same logic as Rocks and Shoals there’s also The Siege of AR-558 in season 7 because that’s basically just a 45 minute 80’s Vietnam movie In Space. And if it eventually gets to be followed up by It’s Only a Paper Moon so much the better.

Comedy option: Take Me Out to the Holosuite.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

PerniciousKnid posted:

I guess you guys really like the Ferengi.

It's never a bad time to watch The Magnificent Ferengi.

PerniciousKnid posted:

2-parter is definitely out. I was considering Improbable Cause but it kinda ends on a cliffhanger.

Yeah, I would have suggested Improbable Cause if not for that. It's a perfectly plotted episode, a non-Trekkie can pick up most of what you need to know about the characters and the situation through the writing and the context, but it is a two-part episode even though it's not named as such.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thinking about revisiting DS9 tonight, any suggestions for a one-off episode to watch with my non -trekkie spouse? I was thinking Duet, but it's kind of a bummer. So maybe one of the more action-y episodes where they're stuck on a planet with the Jem Hadar, or maybe somebody has a better idea.

Crackers Don't Matter

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Hard Time is a nice bit of standalone sci-fi, if a bit on the :smithicide: side. Ditto The Sound of Her Voice.

Some good Ferengi episodes have been suggested, but I'll throw one more on the pile: Bar Association.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Powered Descent posted:

Hard Time is a nice bit of standalone sci-fi, if a bit on the :smithicide: side. Ditto The Sound of Her Voice.

Some good Ferengi episodes have been suggested, but I'll throw one more on the pile: Bar Association.

I mean considering :smithicide: literally happens I'd call that more than a "side" :v:

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

Powered Descent posted:

“The Sound of Her Voice” is so underrated.

- Stand-alone episode that also advances overall plot
- Character study that lets characters breathe and react to events from other episodes
- Ticking clock element
- Humor and pathos
- Technobabble that doesn’t feel like an excuse or a handwave
- Twist ending that doesn’t feel insulting or out of left field

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

"One Little Ship"

It's fun, doesn't require a lot of setup, and is pure scifi.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

One Little Ship drives me crazy because the drama scene with Bashir and O'Brien is solved by an EV suit.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

Perfect

Unless someone can swap that reply button with :justpost: but that feels like a painful edit

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

I would still bet money that the writer of One Little Ship got the idea for it while fiddling with a model or toy of the runabout, and imagined it actually being that size, flying around the room.

e: Looked it up on Memory Alpha, and apparently René Echevarria originally imagined it as a story for TNG, featuring a shrunken shuttlecraft but the same basic "fly around the ship and save the day" plot. I'd still make the same bet, but with a toy shuttle substituting for the runabout.

Powered Descent fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 8, 2022

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Explorers is fun, I think that’s the name of the ep with Sisko and Jake building a Bajoran ship from scratch.

Or Valiant, where Red Squad shows up and lives up to their name.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Powered Descent posted:

I would still bet money that the writer of One Little Ship got the idea for it while fiddling with a model or toy of the runabout, and imagined it actually being that size, flying around the room.

e: Looked it up on Memory Alpha, and apparently René Echevarria originally imagined it as a story for TNG, featuring a shrunken shuttlecraft but the same basic "fly around the ship and save the day" plot. I'd still make the same bet, but with a toy shuttle substituting for the runabout.

That would have been SUCH a cool episode on the Enterprise D

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I don't know if it was this thread or the RLM thread in GBS, but someone was complaining about the background windows for a few shots of the new director's cut of TMP. They were 'fixed' to look more like kind of upside-down 10-Forward style curving windows, instead of being flat before or something. However the matting around the actors to 'blue screen' in the background is pretty bad looking, even still in this version.

EDIT - clarification: this is when Spock rejoins the crew and Kirk and Bones ask him to sit down with them for a talk.

I finally was able to watch the new version and I think this is neat as they were 'fixed' to now be the officers' lounge on deck 2 or 3 or something, right under/behind the bridge.

If I remember before, the room was originally the same generic huge lounge that the all-staff briefing takes place in, and where Decker shows V'GER-Ilia some games she used to like.

I'm constantly amazed at how much thought was put into the sets and layout of TMP. If only the costume choices and slow nature of the narrative could have had similar attention to detail.

jeeves fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Apr 8, 2022

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

absolutely cursed

https://twitter.com/Adequate_Scott/status/1512549622610280454?s=20&t=_w8BQGHDyZXJ7Odo0Fv2MA

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

jeeves posted:

I finally was able to watch the new version and I think this is neat as they were 'fixed' to now be the officers' lounge on deck 2 or 3 or something, right under/behind the bridge.

If I remember before, the room was originally the same generic huge lounge that the all-staff briefing takes place in, and where Decker shows V'GER-Ilia some games she used to like.

No, the room and intended location is the same. There was just a small window on the back wall.

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
Ah, I couldn’t remember exactly besides the memory of the nacelle being in view and thinking that was neat.

Something the observation / conference room in TNG obviously never had- you’d think you would be able to see the huge top of the saucer sections stretching almost to the horizon from that vantage point.

I understand why they couldn’t so that, but it would have been neat.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

what the gently caress, thought it was just some goofy trek madlibs ship generator. fun.

but no its...

i don't know

quote:

Star Trek™ Continuum is the first Star Trek™ NFT Experience powered by RECUR. It will unfold over multiple seasons across several years and is securely stored, verified and managed on the blockchain. Explore the Star Trek™ universe as a captain by collecting unique Starships in Season 0 to build your very own fleet. Every Starship is uniquely generated, meaning no Starships will be identical to one another. There are 6 Starship classes with thousands of combinations, ensuring your fleet is unique for your explorations into the final frontier.

raodmap:

quote:

While Season 0 of Star Trek™ Continuum provides you with a Starship, Season 1 will allow you to collect characters from the Star Trek™ Universe in order to fill your bridge with the best crew possible. Season 2 is when the missions begin, rewarding the successful with rare and exotic NFTs. From there, Star Trek™ Continuum will take you deep into the galaxy, where you will be able to collect new planets, new species, new characters, and discover new frontiers of fandom.

Build your fleet and dare to explore the final frontier, there might even be a few missions for fans to take on, but you’ll need your fleet to find out.

what is RECUR

quote:

RECUR is your portal to the metaverse. We design & develop on-chain branded experiences for fans to buy, collect, and re-sell NFTs. We have partnerships with some of the largest brands in entertainment, sports and pop culture. We power NFTU.com, the largest college sports marketplace, StarTrek.xyz, and Paramount.xyz, with more NFT experiences coming!

oh my god, so there's no even a game or anything... it's just them rolling out NFTs of... nothing that do nothing, and they will eventually have seasons and missions consisting of... more nothing for sale. NFT experience! LOL the experience of "having a receipt"

goddamn if only star trek had some way of addressing things like this using fiction and its characters and setting oh well

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002

Snow Cone Capone posted:

absolutely cursed

This is legitimately hilarious, what is with NFTs being associated with absolute dogshit art?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Yeah that really sucks. When I first saw some of the pictures I genuinely thought it was just someone making wacky ship designs, but they are lovely NFTs instead.

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

ugh fuckin shatner too https://twitter.com/WilliamShatner/status/1512509573638332435?s=20&t=1RUVS1eY2shy2xz9ueF0OQ

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Snow Cone Capone posted:

ugh fuckin shatner too

lol did you actually expect better from shatner?

Seemlar
Jun 18, 2002
If it makes you feel better Shatner probably hasn't run that account for years

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I wish I had an obviously brain dead rich dad to milk with a system of pulleys and sunglasses like Weekend at Bernie’s.

And by pulleys I mean social media logins.

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

PerniciousKnid posted:

Thinking about revisiting DS9 tonight, any suggestions for a one-off episode to watch with my non -trekkie spouse? I was thinking Duet, but it's kind of a bummer. So maybe one of the more action-y episodes where they're stuck on a planet with the Jem Hadar, or maybe somebody has a better idea.

I pitched this for the "make me like DS9" thread in scifi wifi, try out 'Destiny'. It's not a top ten, but it's a solid episode that showcases character growth, expands the background of trek, and has some fun moments. It's also ahead of its time in terms of storytelling.

Whispers is also a real fun one. Or The House of Quark.

Snorb
Nov 19, 2010
That Constitution Refit looks like a Star Trek ship as designed by somebody who's never seen a single episode of Star Trek, and had to make the ship based entirely on a verbal description of some drunk who saw it in college twenty years ago.

Also sweet Jesus those... things are hideous.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Snorb posted:

That Constitution Refit looks like a Star Trek ship as designed by somebody who's never seen a single episode of Star Trek, and had to make the ship based entirely on a verbal description of some drunk who saw it in college twenty years ago.

They remind me of the starships I used to design when I was like seven and just took the basic elements of the Enterprise and did poo poo like shoved the nacelles right under the saucer or made one that was like 80% neck.

If these things are “procedurally generated”, the crank that algorithm up to 100% and lets see some REALLY hosed up poo poo already. Gimme a 90° cranked saucer, three different engineering hulls, five nacelles, an underslung AND dorsal mounted weapons pod, that loving phaser rail gun from the AGT Enterprise. I want to see something that will make Andrew Probert projectile piss five peoples’ worth of blood six feet in the air straight up in a fit of rage at the mere sight of it.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Snorb posted:

By 'algorithmically designed' they basically mean that the neck and pylon length and angles are randomised, from what I can see. No real interesting variations, just altering those factors with the pre-existing models to make them look worse.

Clear why they're starting with just TOS and movies, it's much harder to do with later ships with more blended forms.

It may be on purpose that most look like poo poo, to create an extra rarity value possibility for the good ones in gamble-space. Like a Connie that actually looks close to the Enterprise being worth more in trading.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Apr 9, 2022

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
honestly blaming the people who whined about the picard season fleet having copy pasted ships for this

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Khanstant posted:

honestly blaming the people who whined about the picard season fleet having copy pasted ships for this

YOU could already be the owner of a receipt for a URL that, for now, points to a jpeg of one of these ships!

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Khanstant posted:

THEY'LL KEEP FIGHTING

AND THEY'LL WIN!

WOULD YOU LIKE TO KNOW MORE?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

nine-gear crow posted:

They remind me of the starships I used to design when I was like seven and just took the basic elements of the Enterprise and did poo poo like shoved the nacelles right under the saucer or made one that was like 80% neck.

If these things are “procedurally generated”, the crank that algorithm up to 100% and lets see some REALLY hosed up poo poo already. Gimme a 90° cranked saucer, three different engineering hulls, five nacelles, an underslung AND dorsal mounted weapons pod, that loving phaser rail gun from the AGT Enterprise. I want to see something that will make Andrew Probert projectile piss five peoples’ worth of blood six feet in the air straight up in a fit of rage at the mere sight of it.

Basically Star Fleet Battles.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Gimmie two Oberth-class ships welded together.

Wee Bairns
Feb 10, 2004

Jack Tripper's wingman.

I actually quite like the look of that Oberth kitbashy design.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006
I have a suspicion that old man Shatner has absolutely no idea what an en eff tee is.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Now having memories of some mid-90s Starship Creator program which amounted to 'mix and match various saucers, hulls and nacelles, about a third of which are taken from things that appeared on screen and the rest have been made up by a graphic design intern'.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
Buying star trek brand NFTs is another level of pathetic.

Lizard Combatant fucked around with this message at 15:34 on Apr 9, 2022