Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
https://twitter.com/SamCoatesSky/status/1512522619735711747

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
I'm still slightly sad that the Crown didn't go full chaos timeline and have the queen bestow a landed title on Trump that he would have been unable to stop himself accepting.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

which sort of tells you where their priorities lay.
Hidden within each child.

:barf:

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka
AMA about non-don taxes, a big report came out recently for which I did most of the work and I was sacked as a lackey before the thing was published so am I drunk and fellong particularly fury this evening

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Kicked him out of the Academy for 10 years, a considerably stiffer punishment than they handed out to Harvey Weinstein or Roman Polanski, which sort of tells you where their priorities lay.

#oscarssowhite

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

vodkat posted:

AMA about non-don taxes, a big report came out recently for which I did most of the work and I was sacked as a lackey before the thing was published so am I drunk and fellong particularly fury this evening
what are you drinking

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

If you click through its largely the journalist soapboxing and the press secretary saying "lol who cares"

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

vodkat posted:

So much effort expended trying to get Donald to reveal his taxes, we forgot all about the non-Don taxes

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

NotJustANumber99 posted:

thats bullshit what they've done to will smith

i guess they spoke to their publicists about how to keep themselves relevant

https://twitter.com/Hanzi83/status/1512528305395748866?s=20&t=-MB3PmVBDvpXn3Gz8Gk1FQ

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

Doctor_Fruitbat posted:

As a cleanser to that, I was linked to this earlier, which is a really great primer on "no, trans people aren't making this up and here's the science to prove it."
CC's docu did have a near perfect tying off at the end that doesn't even need spoilering, but I will watch that video too.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHZvUeAdzeI

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 7 days!)

this rishi tax scandal just seems like another shallow personal character thing. who gives a poo poo. it doesn't fix or break anything if his wife is a tax cheat, or he is a tax cheat, or whatever. they just keep cycling through these pointless stories year after year. yeah go after him, get it changed, whatever, but they'll just keep doing the same things they're doing which actually matter regardless, or change faces and keep doing them.

i know i'm not saying anything people in here don't already know it's just sad and boring that this is the way people form and change opinions on politicians.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

It's internecine bickering between the Tories but a talented opposition could surely use the chancellor of the exchequer himself being implemented in several tax avoidance schemes to parade a broad range of policy proposals to fix all this poo poo. Instead Keir is tweeting about a "one-off windfall tax" ho hum.

Mega Comrade
Apr 22, 2004

Listen buddy, we all got problems!

What's he done to annoy the media? Did Lizz Truss pull some favours? They were drawing him in loving capes only 2 years ago.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

roomtone posted:

this rishi tax scandal just seems like another shallow personal character thing. who gives a poo poo. it doesn't fix or break anything if his wife is a tax cheat, or he is a tax cheat, or whatever. they just keep cycling through these pointless stories year after year. yeah go after him, get it changed, whatever, but they'll just keep doing the same things they're doing which actually matter regardless, or change faces and keep doing them.

i know i'm not saying anything people in here don't already know it's just sad and boring that this is the way people form and change opinions on politicians.

It's notable when politicians do bad things and exploit loopholes they themselves are in charge of writing

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Mega Comrade posted:

What's he done to annoy the media? Did Lizz Truss pull some favours? They were drawing him in loving capes only 2 years ago.

I doubt he’s done anything, it’ll be some other Tory worm with better media contacts decided it’s time to take him down. Probably Gove.

DesperateDan
Dec 10, 2005

Where's my cow?

Is that my cow?

No it isn't, but it still tramples my bloody lavender.
latest shocking revelations that have been known about for years but are only being reported now, about 24 hours after the last set of shocking revelations that were known for years but only reported on then

client journalism so pure it's crystalline

**Edit

Also someone asked about cfs/me on the nhs stuff a few days back and I had a post written but it got lost but I will do one later cause my experience was different from other folks somewhat but now I gotta go farm

DesperateDan fucked around with this message at 09:10 on Apr 9, 2022

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Mega Comrade posted:

Sunak pushed too hard and too early to become PM, and the media responded as you might expect people who supported Hitler to respond when a brown foreigner tries to supplant a blonde haired blue eyed local. They would have done the exact same in a leadership contest a couple of years down the road, except it would have been "Sunak's Wife Pays No Tax For Years".

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Mega Comrade posted:

They knew about this when they were drawing him in capes. Just like the Boris party stuff, this is all part of the panto to stop anyone blaming the loving terrible state of the country on the things that the ruling class actually care about, and instead pinning it all on a convenient villain.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

Bobby Deluxe posted:

what are you drinking

Stella like a tax paying pleb

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Mega Comrade posted:

This all seems to be down to Boris being a huge loving baby and not liking to be told "no" by Rishi and the treasury.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

vodkat posted:

:justpost: whatever you think is juiciest/funniest now you're sober enough to hopefully prevent legal troubles.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Massive tory infighting to fund more nuclear and wind power is far from the worst thing that could be happening, even if it is just because Putin tried to rebuild the Russian Empire and shat his pants and the EU is paralyzed by the usual indecision over "is buying fossil fuels from bellicose neighbours bad or is it cheap?"

The worst case is that they'll pull even more money from necessary social and welfare under the pretense of needing to fund it, and also that once it is built they will never shut the gently caress up ever about being the ones that built it.

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

Tbf the treasury's refusal to spend money on anything ever for any reason is Not Good even if it's frustrating BoJo in this instance.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
The current financial situation is also going to hit middle/upper-middle classes, which just happens to include a lot of journalists and editors, in a way that more recent crises didn't. All but a very of the richest are going to notice the extra they're paying for petrol/gas/electrons, and Sunak's failure to do anything meaningful means he's going to be genuinely as unpopular in fleet street as elsewhere.

Pablo Bluth fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Apr 9, 2022

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Anyone know what kind of handy person or builder type would be able to figure out why the front hallway and bathroom of my house is an ice box and fix it?

I'm looking into insulation installers and the govt grants but that seems overkill compared to maybe buying some door draught excluders from wickes and fitting them.

I don't even know if I have any wall insulation!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

Mebh posted:

Anyone know what kind of handy person or builder type would be able to figure out why the front hallway and bathroom of my house is an ice box and fix it?

I'm looking into insulation installers and the govt grants but that seems overkill compared to maybe buying some door draught excluders from wickes and fitting them.

I don't even know if I have any wall insulation!

Maybe an EPC assessor would be able to.
Have you any draughts coming in via windows, under doors, extractor fans, air bricks?
Single or double glazing?
I've experimented with masking tape in previous homes before committing to more permanent solutions.

Ps I put door snake outside my door ( opens into a corridor not street) so when I go out, front door opens inward, so when door is closed snake still in place. If inside door it would be moved away from door and useless while out.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Apr 9, 2022

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!
I bought one of those energy monitoring plugs and plugged kettle into it. Since Monday morning (including my 2 coffees this morning) it has used 21p ( on my fixed economy 7 package rate). Normally boil 3 or 4 X 250ml per day except Monday in office. Also only one of those boils was in Economy 7 cheap time.
I have been scrupulous in just adding 250ml (mug worth) to kettle to boil each time.

Just watching one of those £5 for 5 days challenges on YouTube and ok he's done the food BUT I'm darn sure he's used £5 worth of electric just cooking one of those meals. It's all very well telling people buying raw veg etc is so cheap but by God the cost of preparing and cooking mounts up.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

josh04 posted:

Tbf the treasury's refusal to spend money on anything ever for any reason is Not Good even if it's frustrating BoJo in this instance.
It's always mystified me that you could have the most loyal-to-the-PM, will follow the party line without question MP, but the instant they become Chancellor they go native and say there's no money for anything and block spending, even on things they were previously in favour of. The civil service must have an absolute stranglehold on the position.

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

vodkat posted:

Congrats for being an ablative employee.

Sucks to hear, am sorry this happens.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Maybe an EPC assessor would be able to.
Have you any draughts coming in via windows, under doors, extractor fans, air bricks?
Single or double glazing?
I've experimented with masking tape in previous homes before committing to more permanent solutions.

Hm. Epc might be worth a look.

Draughts are definitely coming in the front door and from one window. I'll try the masking tape tip tho thanks!

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

Mebh posted:

Hm. Epc might be worth a look.

Draughts are definitely coming in the front door and from one window. I'll try the masking tape tip tho thanks!

One thing I'd say is you don't want your bathroom *too* well insulated/airtight, you need air movement through it to stop damp and mould. Obviously extractors help a bit with that but you still need an inlet to the bathroom (and the space the bathroom opens into) to allow fresh air to come in, otherwise the extractor doesn't work. It only needs to be tiny, but it does need to be there.

Mebh
May 10, 2010

Eh its just my goony as gently caress toilet with a bidet and dragons all over the walls. It shouldn't need more than the slits at the top of the window to be open right?

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear
gove is a willy watcher

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Mebh posted:

Eh its just my goony as gently caress toilet with a bidet and dragons all over the walls. It shouldn't need more than the slits at the top of the window to be open right?

replace the white dragons with red, op

Niric
Jul 23, 2008

Payndz posted:

It's always mystified me that you could have the most loyal-to-the-PM, will follow the party line without question MP, but the instant they become Chancellor they go native and say there's no money for anything and block spending, even on things they were previously in favour of. The civil service must have an absolute stranglehold on the position.

My secondhand understanding of the civil service is that the Treasury is mostly filled with self consciously clever and/or very ambitious people, and the structure of British governance, where other departments have to essentially go begging to the treasury for money to do things, means that they are a very active gate keeper. So there's this culture of being reflexively hyper critical of pretty much any proposal, because some idiot in the department of local government couldn't possibly know better than the super smart treasury boffins.

Z the IVth
Jan 28, 2009

The trouble with your "expendable machines"
Fun Shoe

Niric posted:

My secondhand understanding of the civil service is that the Treasury is mostly filled with self consciously clever and/or very ambitious people, and the structure of British governance, where other departments have to essentially go begging to the treasury for money to do things, means that they are a very active gate keeper. So there's this culture of being reflexively hyper critical of pretty much any proposal, because some idiot in the department of local government couldn't possibly know better than the super smart treasury boffins.

They need to keep those nuclear bombers flying overwatch over Cthulhu's extradimensional prison OP.

Comrade Fakename
Feb 13, 2012

Check out 1:04

https://twitter.com/newstatesman/status/1512354570608947201

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
I wouldn't worry about starmer. He's proven pretty incapable.

fuctifino
Jun 11, 2001

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Grandad muted on the family zoom call (remember those) cos he called Boris a tosser in front of the grand children who then began chanting it.