Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Hyrax Attack! posted:

In a particularly ill-advised action, a Russian soldier from a chemical, biological and nuclear protection unit picked up a source of cobalt-60 at one waste storage site with his bare hands, exposing himself to so much radiation in a few seconds that it went off the scales of a Geiger counter, Mr. Simyonov said. It was not clear what happened to the man, he said.

jfc I can handle a lot of unpleasant and grisly things but the slow turning into a puddle via rad death...just ole yeller me at that point.
I never wish to know what hisashi ouchi had to.
I understand its a lack of knowledge about what you're dealing with. But gently caress rolling the dice.

*awful snipe. Radiation rightfully scares the poo poo outve me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
The Co-60 dude probably is going to die 5-20 years sooner than he'd like, provided he doesn't die sooner of "other causes" in an active warzone, but he's not going to melt into a puddle of protoplasm.

When it comes to radiation exposure I always judge it by how long it took those in the Goiânia Incident to absorb a lethal dose, even though that was Cs-137 and this was Co-60, gamma is gamma.

BIG HEADLINE fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Apr 9, 2022

Sentinel
Jan 1, 2009

High Tech
Low Life

Yeah, maybe its just more handling the fuckoff unknown with abandon.

SerthVarnee
Mar 13, 2011

It has been two zero days since last incident.
Big Super Slapstick Hunk
He might die a lot sooner than he'd otherwise hoped. The real kicker is the amount of suffering that will be the prime focus of his life now.
Gonna be a real good day when this poo poo is finally over.

LRADIKAL
Jun 10, 2001

Fun Shoe
Yeah when you have the plant workers going "HEY MAN ACTUALLY DON'T PICK UP THAT METAL THING!", and you do it anyway, what, did you think it was secret treasure?

IPCRESS
May 27, 2012

LRADIKAL posted:

Yeah when you have the plant workers going "HEY MAN ACTUALLY DON'T PICK UP THAT METAL THING!", and you do it anyway, what, did you think it was secret treasure?

"gently caress you pencil neck, mah freedumbs".

Bored As Fuck
Jan 1, 2006
Fun Shoe
You gotta be a special kind of stupid to pick up anything at, or near a loving nuclear power plant - much less one that had a loving melt down.

Saint Celestine
Dec 17, 2008

Lay a fire within your soul and another between your hands, and let both be your weapons.
For one is faith and the other is victory and neither may ever be put out.

- Saint Sabbat, Lessons
Grimey Drawer

Bored As gently caress posted:

You gotta be a special kind of stupid to pick up anything at, or near a loving nuclear power plant - much less one that had a loving melt down.

The dude was part of a NBC unit too, not some conscript, so theoretically he should have been trained on radiation dangers.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

IPCRESS posted:

"gently caress you pencil neck, mah freedumbs".
The Russians picked up cobalt 60 by hand

The Americans used a pencil

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

https://twitter.com/KyleJGlen/status/1512523742009823240?t=sTfMNap37_qoBFDJLZFcNg&s=19

Fall Dog
Feb 24, 2009

Alan Smithee posted:

The Russians picked up cobalt 60 by hand

The Americans used a pencil screwdriver.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

“Nyet you see is crescent encircling of Carthaginian Hannibal like Battle of Cannae”

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prop Wash posted:

I have a few of those (with the original sign-off checklist stamped into it - no idea if they were meant to review it or just post it but it requires initials from most of the commander’s staff) and they’re a great teaching tool for the propaganda we produce for ourselves.

Oh that’s cool as hell. I stumbled across them for the first time looking in army surplus store by random chance. Luckily these days you can find most of them on the Internet, it’s very interesting to see the final ones especially from the late Gorbachev era.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
At least a couple of the vehicles the Ukrainians captured were indeed in working condition or could be repaired quickly.

https://twitter.com/calibreobscura/status/1512749431984173056?s=21&t=1WHTTLGicpAzXww3q61d0w

And this thing is probably on its way to the CIA right now.

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1512566406050631684?s=21&t=1WHTTLGicpAzXww3q61d0w

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

BeastOfExmoor posted:

For those who haven't seen it, the documentary Icarus is an incredible watch. Russia literally built a building with secret doors so they could swap urine samples at night during the Olympics.

Seconding this. My favorite part is the documentarian attempting to film a tiny indie doc about doping himself to prove how effective it can be in amateur competition and accidentally stumbling into the entire Russian doping program.

It’s legitimately amazing.

FrozenVent
May 1, 2009

The Boeing 737-200QC is the undisputed workhorse of the skies.

Cythereal posted:

At least a couple of the vehicles the Ukrainians captured were indeed in working condition or could be repaired quickly.

https://twitter.com/calibreobscura/status/1512749431984173056?s=21&t=1WHTTLGicpAzXww3q61d0w

And this thing is probably on its way to the CIA right now.

https://twitter.com/uaweapons/status/1512566406050631684?s=21&t=1WHTTLGicpAzXww3q61d0w

Holy poo poo they shot down a MALE?

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

Would 30mm go through a BTR's armor

FrozenVent posted:

loving woke Ukraine SJW army

Blistex
Oct 30, 2003

Macho Business
Donkey Wrestler

FrozenVent posted:

Check your ROE privileges.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014
https://www.businessinsider.com/rus...medium=webfeeds

quote:

The Ukrainian Ombudswoman for Human Rights has said that the Russian government is crafting legislation to allow Russians to adopt Ukrainian children forcibly taken to Russia by military forces.

:negative:

davecrazy
Nov 25, 2004

I'm an insufferable shitposter who does not deserve to root for such a good team. Also, this is what Matt Harvey thinks of me and my garbage posting.
Really cool you can do state sponsored kidnapping as long as you have gas/oil to sell and nukes.

How many of those kids will actually be placed in homes and not delivered into the arms of human traffickers?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

I guess that answers how Putin plans to combat Russia’s demographic problems…

:stonk:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Alan Smithee posted:

Would 30mm go through a BTR's armor

loving woke Ukraine SJW army

Unless significantly uparmored, BTR-90s are only armored against .50 bmg equivalent projectiles. 30mm AP would probably overpenetrate.

edit: If Finland ends up joining NATO, I promise you we'll see the same forced relocations of ethnic Finns in the Karelian peninsula and the Murmansk Oblast.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

davecrazy posted:

Really cool you can do state sponsored kidnapping as long as you have gas/oil to sell and nukes.

How many of those kids will actually be placed in homes and not delivered into the arms of human traffickers?

I mean considering how Russian soldiers treat kids they pretty much are the human traffickers

Butter Activities
May 4, 2018

That’s bleak

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

MrYenko posted:

Seconding this. My favorite part is the documentarian attempting to film a tiny indie doc about doping himself to prove how effective it can be in amateur competition and accidentally stumbling into the entire Russian doping program.

It’s legitimately amazing.

I love recommending people watch it and only telling them about the original intent of the documentary.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Oh goody, another classic from the genocide playbook.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
Ukraine is going to capture Moscow fuelled by pure rage and armed by the west.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

stealie72 posted:

Ukraine is going to capture Moscow fuelled by pure rage and armed by the west.

Can we please just give them offensive weapons!?!

Not directed at you, just the situation.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

After all, the best defense is a good offense.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We need to give their motor pools about 3 months of maintenance training first for ground vehicles. 6 months to a year for aircraft, plus on site maintenance advisors/supervisors for things with wings. It's not as simple as just giving some Abrams and F16s that have been sitting in the desert.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

We need to give their motor pools about 3 months of maintenance training first for ground vehicles. 6 months to a year for aircraft, plus on site maintenance advisors/supervisors for things with wings. It's not as simple as just giving some Abrams and F16s that have been sitting in the desert.

We’re already training them in the US for switchblade, let’s start on the ground vehicles, get them out into the field by July. Not perfect, but once a bunch of Abrams and Strkyers start rolling out. Same with the planes, out by late fall. Besides even if everything was going to end in a ceasefire tomorrow it’s not like the tools and the training will be useful in the future.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What do you call boatloads of Class V, ATGMs, AT weapons, TUAS, up-armored vehicles?

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

What do you call boatloads of Class V, ATGMs, AT weapons, TUAS, up-armored vehicles?

Right now? I call it "Not Enough"

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We’re already training them in the US for switchblade, let’s start on the ground vehicles, get them out into the field by July. Not perfect, but once a bunch of Abrams and Strkyers start rolling out. Same with the planes, out by late fall. Besides even if everything was going to end in a ceasefire tomorrow it’s not like the tools and the training will be useful in the future.

I agree. I just want to make the point that giving those systems RIGHT NOW will result in permanently deadlined vehicles within days or weeks and provide no material benefit in the short term. Aircraft without the necessary sustainment knowledge base will just get pilots (who are more valuable than air frames) killed very quickly.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Shooting Blanks posted:

I just want people to be more specific in their “do something” or “give offense” posts. There are some weapons that just aren’t getting handed over. Some advocates are specific in wanting stuff like coastal defense cruise missiles or replacement tanks. But saying that everything given is not “offense” capable is incorrect, and just leads to wondering what someone really means.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Shooting Blanks posted:

:same:

I want Harpoons that can be mounted on trucks…and that’s just a start.

Smart munition kits that can be added to dumb bombs.

Tomahawks, but we need a new ground launcher method for them, so that’s more long term.

HARM and other Anti-radiation missiles.

Honestly give them whatever they want that isn’t a black project or a nuke if we have it laying around. Even if it’s something like an SSN that will take a decade.

A.o.D. posted:

I agree. I just want to make the point that giving those systems RIGHT NOW will result in permanently deadlined vehicles within days or weeks and provide no material benefit in the short term. Aircraft without the necessary sustainment knowledge base will just get pilots (who are more valuable than air frames) killed very quickly.

Oh cool. We’re on the same page then. I just feel that training and a lead time shouldn’t be used as a reason, which is being offered by some (not you obviously).

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 9, 2022

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

TIL that those are a thing that already exist.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

How long would you suppose it would take to get Patriot batteries in the field?

Marshal Prolapse posted:

How about Naval Strike Missiles?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

TIL that those are a thing that already exist.

Yep, Taiwan operates them, but I’m not sure if the US has those or it’s a purely local adaptation.

Stultus Maximus posted:

How long would you suppose it would take to get Patriot batteries in the field?

How about Naval Strike Missiles?

NSM sounds great and no clue on those Patriots, but better to start now then latter.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Apr 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

mlmp08 posted:

I just want people to be more specific in their “do something” or “give offense” posts. There are some weapons that just aren’t getting handed over. Some advocates are specific in wanting stuff like coastal defense cruise missiles or replacement tanks. But saying that everything given is not “offense” capable is incorrect, and just leads to wondering what someone really means.

If the Ukrainian statement is accurate re: adopting kids, then I want to ship everything they can reasonably use (including training!) as quickly as possible. Some things aren't possible, of course - we can't give them an Arleigh Burke because they probably couldn't use it in short order. But missiles, artillery, mortars? gently caress it, open the gates.