Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..
What do people think of the Escape Tales series?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerro
Nov 3, 2002

Did you marry a man who married the sea? He looks right through you to the distant grey - calling, calling..

Mayveena posted:

Yeah Coffee Traders was a top 5 game for me last year and I really look forward to my next play. Peruse the rules forum on BGG if you have further questions.

Thanks, I was able to find everything answered there. The main thing we couldn't work out during the game was that when you complete a contract row the rule book says to 'take one of the bonuses depicted to the right of the contract spaces' and the first option listed is '1 animal counter onto the counter track' and we couldn't find any explanation of where this token was supposed to come from so we were taking them off the board when we were supposed to be using the animal token that we'd put there during setup 15 pages earlier in the rules. It seems reasonably obvious now, but why they couldn't have written the bonus as 'the animal token placed here during setup' I don't know. The existing wording also makes it sound like you can take the same bonus multiple times for fulfilling contact rows which is clearly not the intent.

I really like too that as you said the area majority stuff is not swingy in the final round, and is much more like the end game objectives in games like Barrage and Gaia Project where you have a pretty good idea of where you stand going into the last turn and it doesn't generally change that much unless it's already close.

I think I'm gonna need to print an organiser or something though cos good lord it has a lot of unique components that need to be sorted.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

I need to buy another 4x3 Kallax

My shelves are full :negative:

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

You’ll need to buy one anyway for the new COB

https://gamefound.com/projects/draft/473gwur7hgbqttglibutwy0d6dr?ref=homepage-featured_5

At least two cubes, one for the stretch goals

Chill la Chill fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Apr 8, 2022

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Yeah we just started talking about it in the KS thread.

Awaken Realms + Ravensburger is an odd combo.
Particularly because it looks like it's going to have minis for.. reasons?

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
The new Mombasa https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/359438/skymines

Looking forward to it!

CitizenKeen
Nov 13, 2003

easygoing pedant

Skymines posted:

As investors, you try to earn the most CrypCoin over the course of seven rounds.

Somebody threadban Mayveena for CryptoBaloney.

It's all good as long as we don't burn up the planet :)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Apr 8, 2022

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

I don't own and have never played Mombasa, but I'd buy a new edition of most games if the remake was set on the moon.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Infinitum posted:

Yeah we just started talking about it in the KS thread.

Awaken Realms + Ravensburger is an odd combo.
Particularly because it looks like it's going to have minis for.. reasons?

lol what the gently caress is this AW collab and why is the box triple the size

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

discount cathouse posted:

I prefer Exit to Unlock by a little bit. Exit can feel more abstract, but it also has a higher number of fun puzzles per session. Escape room: the Game was worse than these 2.

The "Escape Room: The Game: The Whatever" series is consistently terrible - sometimes jaw-droppingly bad.

But the "Escape Room: The Game: The Puzzle Adventure: The Whatever" series actually work pretty well. There's like 6 small jigsaw puzzles, and some little escape room type puzzles mixed in with each step. Would recommend, though not for more than 2 players (the puzzles are too small for more).

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
What was the one overly long mystery-solving adventure game where the players are time travelers trying to fix the past but the game relies so heavily on random chance that players will just run out of time, lose, and be forced to restart without any major changes to what you're even trying to do?

It had a few expansions that were just new scenarios but I don't think it made any changes to the game's mechanical problems

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

What was the one overly long mystery-solving adventure game where the players are time travelers trying to fix the past but the game relies so heavily on random chance that players will just run out of time, lose, and be forced to restart without any major changes to what you're even trying to do?

It had a few expansions that were just new scenarios but I don't think it made any changes to the game's mechanical problems

TIME Stories

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

So BGG is upset because it's still colonialism https://boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/130673/earn-most-crypcoin-alexander-pfisters-skymines and of course crypto. But I'm not upset about it, it's total fiction even though Musk will show up eventually :) I will also note I wasn't a fan of the mechanics of the original so won't be getting this anyway.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

I actually quite enjoyed some of the mechanics of the game; less so the "shares" and board play, but the hand management using that multiple discard piles and pick one up, I really liked that.

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

I'd say I've played more downright bad Unlock games than Exit games, but the quality of both does vary. Exit is definitely more consistent, and usually the bad Unlocks are bad because of either half-baked puzzle design that sort of devolves into point & click adventure style using x on everything until it does something, or because of really poorly-considered added mechanics that hinge on the app and don't actually add that much to the puzzle experience.

I'd honestly have to drat Unlock with a little bit of faint praise though and say that the bad ones are bad usually because they're trying something new that just doesn't work, but is at least an attempt to do something unique. They just... uh... sometimes don't stop to ask themselves if their weird new approach to puzzle games is actually fun.

Also Space Cowboys produces both the Unlock and TIME Stories games, so there's a trend there...

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

Skymines Trailer

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

PRADA SLUT posted:

and why is the box triple the size

You must be new to crowdfunding. Bigger = Better. Obvious math.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
the only good space capitalism sim is Galaxy Trucker

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

why is it not called "Moonbasa"

so disappointing

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
We completed the prologue for emerald flame last night and I can already tell I am gonna enjoy this because we both had little "eureka!" moments while solving, even though there was 1 thing that was towards the end of the 2nd puzzle that bothered me, I'll put it in spoilers and without context so you won't know what else was happening in the puzzle.

I needed to match icons with other icons that represent their opposites, so for example an icon representing closed being matched with an icon representing open. This was all fine and dandy and everything made sense up until it asked me to find the opposite of an eyeball and my choices were ear, fish, and bird. Obviously the answer was ear, but if I hadn't already eliminated every other choice by matching them with their opposite then I wouldn't have been as confident with my guess that they want me to consider "ear" to be the opposite of "eye" for... I guess saying sound is the opposite of sight, which, eh, just seemed kinda rough compared to the other more intuitive ones like "opposite of sun is moon."

Something that I won't be putting behind spoilers is that the 2nd puzzle of the prologue pack had a poem on it with directions for how to solve the puzzle. What bothered us was that it felt like the person writing it gave up on writing a poem halfway through lol, like first quatrain goes

A
B
A
B

but then the second quatrain is

C
D
E
F

Like whoever was writing it was told "knock off the rhyming, it's not cute, just get to the point" lol

I also opened up but didn't start on the first package in the box and it just kinda gives you a bunch of papers and tools at the start to work with so it feels very open in how we can tackle the puzzles, moving from one to the other or letting one person focus on a puzzle while another focuses on another, sharing pieces and working with the tools to figure things out.

Last spoiler but this is something in the game's instruction manual where it recommends what tools to have.

It says the standard stuff like having internet access so you can submit your answers on their online checker to confirm if they're correct or not, having pencils and paper for notetaking, and scissors and a ruler for when you need to cut or measure things. That's all fine, all great, but then the instruction manual says that we'll need a lighter or matches for the 3rd package and follows that up with a request to please be careful with them. So yeah, gonna be playing with fire in the 3rd package.

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead
Has anyone here heard much about the next product from Leder Games, Arcs: Collapse and Conflict in the Void? Or am I just way late to an old conversation? I loved Root and Oath (the gameplay and the art/presentation) so seeing this feels like Cole is stating right at me, pointing at my wallet.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
He just put up his first designer diary about it on BGG in case you didn’t see it. Not much is known beyond that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2844889/designer-diary-1-whats-all-then

Jcam
Jan 4, 2009

Yourhead

Jewmanji posted:

He just put up his first designer diary about it on BGG in case you didn’t see it. Not much is known beyond that.

https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/2844889/designer-diary-1-whats-all-then

That’s exactly what I saw, was the first I had heard of it so I got really excited. I’ll keep my ear to the ground for when they go for crowdfunding.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

2nd Kallax acquired. :getin:

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Douche Phoenix posted:

I'm guessing that if I had the choice of playing 2nd or 3rd edition Arkham Horror, that 3rd is the objectively better choice correct?
That is if I can actually procure either of them by this weekend.

Both games run hours longer than they have to, and Arkham games are long. I would recommend getting the card game if it all possible.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Golden Bee posted:

Both games run hours longer than they have to, and Arkham games are long. I would recommend getting the card game if it all possible.

How much card game do you need to buy to be as repayable as the board game?

Slyphic
Oct 12, 2021

All we do is walk around believing birds!

Golden Bee posted:

Card game is absolutely nothing at all like the board game though, beyond theming. But yeah, AH is a bitch and a half to setup til you git gud, and we would usually allot it a 3 hour block to play. We used every expansion, taking up just about all of a 6x4 wargaming table. That was 1st edition. It's one of the most well-worn games in my collection from the many many hours of play, but it's been dormant for at least a decade. No real desire to play newer versions of it, we thoroughly played through all the game had to offer, riffed on it, tweaked it, broke it, and it just ran its course for our group.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3D printed board game accessories or where to look for them? I have a friend who wants to print a gift for me but I have no idea what I'd want that wouldn't be a massive undertaking and I'm not sure offhand of any game specific stuff I'd want to improve. I saw a more compact box for Splendor but that's about the only thing I found on my own.

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Glagha posted:

Does anyone have any recommendations for 3D printed board game accessories or where to look for them? I have a friend who wants to print a gift for me but I have no idea what I'd want that wouldn't be a massive undertaking and I'm not sure offhand of any game specific stuff I'd want to improve. I saw a more compact box for Splendor but that's about the only thing I found on my own.

If I have a game I'm interested in a custom insert or maybe a little component bling for, I just search Etsy or thingiverse to see if someone has made something I like. Thingiverse files are free, Etsy sometimes has the ability to buy the printable files, or it'll give me inspiration to make something in fusion 360 or your chosen cad program.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I ended up asking for a feast for odin organizer because I saw one and was like drat this looks sick

Ohvee
Jun 17, 2001

Glagha posted:

This geeklist is a great place to start.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/186909/3d-prints-board-games

If you browse for a particular on the 'geek, scroll allllll the way to the bottom and the geeklists it shows up on will be there. Those link directly to the post in the geeklist.

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*
Played Summoner Wars (2e) against my brother this evening and I like it a lot. The four factions we tried all felt very different, and each has enough internal synergy that you get to make a few big-brained plays every match. It also turns around so fast that you start most turns at a disadvantage then end that turn on top, then by the start of your next turn you're the underdog again, and being able to do that on the regular feels pretty good.

Not sure what the greater strategic depth is like because I'm not very good at strategy, but it's great for a casual 1v1.

JoeRules
Jul 11, 2001
Just finished Clank Legacy at 2p. Spouse and I were already big fans of Clank in Space prior to starting, and also dig co-op deckbuilders in general.

It was a good experience, but it's a "for Clank/deckbuilder lovers only" recommend at 2p. We really played more into a co-op mindset with trying to accomplish goals, which made the "who won the campaign" moment unsatisfying, and in particular, 2 mission goals made us feel like we were up against a wall with only 2p instead of 3 or 4. I get the impression the game is most fun at 4p, with just the slightest hint of co-op but otherwise playing mean - and I bet 3p, with a more healthy co-op/"gently caress you" balance also works.

The post-campaign game state feels kinda like Aeon's End Legacy - the game is definitely replayable after the campaign, but some of the decisions/buffs you make throughout will undeniably break a bit of balance, should they come into play.

It's solid - but if they made a v2 that leaned into "hey let's just do a weird-rear end mission that you'll never see again" a bit more, and with a bit more well defined rules for rewards-balance, it'd be a giant recommend from me.

Post-dinner, we're going to hit Oceans and maaaaybe Planet X.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Speaking of Summoner Wars, Plaid Hat has a website where you can play Summoner Wars, and try it out for free.

https://summonerwars.plaidhatgames.com/

I don't know why I knew that: I never played the game, never used the site, and it honestly the game never looked like it would be my speed. But this kind of poo poo is cool and I want to see more of it.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
A miniatures game with cards instead of miniatures is a great idea, and I wish Dreamblade had used that instead of WotC expecting players would want to haul around luggage full of miniatures. I liked the original version of Summoner Wars when I tried it.

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so

Glagha posted:

http://homeskillet.org/bgg3dprints/

Put in your BGG username me it will search for all prints uploaded for your games

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

More ammo to show my wife why I need a 3D printer :getin:

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
I posted this in the 3D printing tabletop thread, but this online tool is great for designing storage trays, etc. Results can be papercraft or 3D printable.
https://deckinabox.sgenoud.com/

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Ohvee posted:

This geeklist is a great place to start.

https://boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/186909/3d-prints-board-games

If you browse for a particular on the 'geek, scroll allllll the way to the bottom and the geeklists it shows up on will be there. Those link directly to the post in the geeklist.

This is very useful, one of my mates has been going on about it all arvo after linking it to them,

----------------------------------

Starting to rearrange games across Kallaxes, which means new categories for filing

"I'm going in dry" / Euros

"Would stab as a warning" / Traitor Mechanics

"Stress Sweating: The Game" / Hidden Movement

"Is there a draft?" / Drafting

"What is it good for" / War

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Twilight Imperium chat.

Got a game day for it next weekend. I've drafted:
- Emirates of Hacan
- L1z1X Mindnet
- Nekro Virus

Out of curiosity, who would yall pick to play?
My preferences is ~~~~~~in the order that they're listed~~~~~~