Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Silynt
Sep 21, 2009

30.5 Days posted:

I read Bastion, by Phil Tucker. I liked it quite a bit. Because it's about people who reincarnate when they die so they can keep fighting hell, I thought it was gonna be a time loop (?) type thing, but it's not, that's just part of the setting.

I found this novel to be one of the hardest hate read grinds that I’ve ever finished. I thought the main character was genuinely unpleasant to read the inner thoughts of, and the (ending spoilers) final double level up weak and unearned. His constant whining about how the world was against him and the unnecessary endangerment of his allies to strengthen himself made me want to reach into the page and slap him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

Dr Subterfuge posted:

18 is the hedonistic party floor for the rich and connected. It's unclear what role if any tourists have on floor 15, but that should be the only other one in that range that might have external people. 10 is such a common place for people to bow out that the people who take the deal are called "tenners," though the vast majority of crawlers are dead before that floor. "A lot" of crawls end on floor 9, the first floor that's possible, and it normally seems to have an absolutely abysmal survival rate even if it doesn't lead to an "extinction."

Odette took her deal in front of the stairs to 13. It's unclear if she beat the extremely powerful guardian or not beforehand or not, but she didn't go down. Most of the hooks right now are built around 9, but 12 is slowly getting built up in the background, and a surprising amount of stuff has been said about 15.

My prediction is that Carl will clear 12 or 13, and then the remaining floors will be a relatively-unguarded one-book murder-romp through the tourists.

I'm reading DoB right now, this is also a solid series that I'd like to see continue. I'm not sure what I'm gonna read between finishing it and waiting for the next Cradle book. It is funny how the first chapter from another character's perspective makes a point to say "I'm not a wordsmith like the other guy" and from then on the prose is indistinguishable from the previous chapter.

30.5 Days
Nov 19, 2006

WOAH WOAH HEY WOAH

PerniciousKnid posted:

My prediction is that Carl will clear 12 or 13, and then the remaining floors will be a relatively-unguarded one-book murder-romp through the tourists.

I'm reading DoB right now, this is also a solid series that I'd like to see continue. I'm not sure what I'm gonna read between finishing it and waiting for the next Cradle book. It is funny how the first chapter from another character's perspective makes a point to say "I'm not a wordsmith like the other guy" and from then on the prose is indistinguishable from the previous chapter.

There's been some amount of foreshadowing that poo poo is gonna get weird after 12/13, both in that there's an open question about whether borant, corner-cutters that they are, have planned for anyone to get that far, and in that there's an open question in what the AI, glitchy gently caress that it is, is going to be like by the time they get down there.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

30.5 Days posted:

WOAH WOAH HEY WOAH

There's been some amount of foreshadowing that poo poo is gonna get weird after 12/13, both in that there's an open question about whether borant, corner-cutters that they are, have planned for anyone to get that far, and in that there's an open question in what the AI, glitchy gently caress that it is, is going to be like by the time they get down there.

I really like the AI.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

30.5 Days posted:

WOAH WOAH HEY WOAH

Sorry edited.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

30.5 Days posted:

WOAH WOAH HEY WOAH

Also if I recall all of the veterans Carl has talked to have been really "I can't tell you why, but don't take any deal they offer you unless you absolutely have to" implying there's something odd going on and they're blocked from talking about it in a way that's clearly foreshadowing.

doandroidzdream
Apr 27, 2019

Silynt posted:

I found this novel to be one of the hardest hate read grinds that I’ve ever finished. I thought the main character was genuinely unpleasant to read the inner thoughts of, and the (ending spoilers) final double level up weak and unearned. His constant whining about how the world was against him and the unnecessary endangerment of his allies to strengthen himself made me want to reach into the page and slap him.

Haven't read this series, but I picked up Death March by Tucker. He had a kickstarter for it back in the day https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/682901669/death-march-book-1-in-a-litrpg-trilogy which was quite successful. For a LitRPG, Death March read way too slowly for me. And it bothered me that every time the MC was in a bind, he lucked out of everything as opposed to using his wits. In my head, by the book's end, the MC had earned the nickname 'the Witless Hero'.

team overhead smash
Sep 2, 2006

Team-Forest-Tree-Dog:
Smashing your way into our hearts one skylight at a time

Bremen posted:

Also if I recall all of the veterans Carl has talked to have been really "I can't tell you why, but don't take any deal they offer you unless you absolutely have to" implying there's something odd going on and they're blocked from talking about it in a way that's clearly foreshadowing.

I believe it’s taking a deal on floor ten as they repurpose you as an NPC like that dude from book two exploded the floor and was clearly traumatised and not right from what he’s gone through. The goal for most crawlers is to get to floors 11/12 and get as good a deal as possible so they can be a manager or a guide with their own free will and mentality who will eventually get their freedom rather than some random NPC that’s recycled.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

Saw this in the Cradle discord, hadn't noticed before that it mentions there are (maybe) other Monarchs that we haven't seen yet.

Xand_Man
Mar 2, 2004

If what you say is true
Wutang might be dangerous

Cicero posted:

Saw this in the Cradle discord, hadn't noticed before that it mentions there are (maybe) other Monarchs that we haven't seen yet.

Subject 1 would be Monarch tier, wouldn't they?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Honestly, it's not that surprising if there are Monarchs even more antisocial than Northstrider. There's nothing about being one that actually requires you to be a public figure if you don't want to be, provided you can convince the other Monarchs to leave you alone and stop inviting you to their parties.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Darth Walrus posted:

Honestly, it's not that surprising if there are Monarchs even more antisocial than Northstrider. There's nothing about being one that actually requires you to be a public figure if you don't want to be, provided you can convince the other Monarchs to leave you alone and stop inviting you to their parties.
If anything, it's pretty likely, because Monarchs are all dickbags who are loving up Cradle just by continuing to exist on it so it kinda selects for assholes

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Mage Errant 6 (Tongue Eater) is out now.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Cicero posted:

Just finished reading this and...I'm confused, more than anything. This was not the book that the Siege of Skyhold set me up to anticipate.

Hugh and friends spend the entire book doing One Great Spell to gain insane levels of new powers then traveling through labyrinths and wandering through other worlds while training new powers with no real conflicts or character arcs. A lot of the grief and emotions they should be working through from the previous book are both simultaneously addressed yet not really addressed. At least, a lot of the addressing happens in dialogue.

Alustin spends the entire book doing espionage and spreading propaganda.

There are quite a few action sequences but I honestly struggled to feel invested in them, because at no point did I feel like there was any real threat or stakes.

It felt like reading through a lot of world building notes about various cultures and magic systems. They're all pretty interesting ideas but...I struggled to care about any of it. What I wanted to read about was Hugh and friends facing their mentor and I did not get that because they are woefully underpowered compared to Alustin so this book read like filler to me, to allow them time to gather enough power so that they could reasonably go toe to toe against Alustin without it being ridiculous.

Will Wight copped a lot of flack for the time skip at the beginning of Uncrowned but it was narratively the right decision to make.

We'll only be able to make a fair assessment when Mage Errant 7 comes out, but as of right now, Tongue Eater did not work for me. I think I'd've been happier if this was perhaps a chapter or two long, the way some of the time skips were handled in Uncrowned and Bloodline.

The Skeep
Sep 15, 2007

That Chicken sure loves to drum...sticks
I agree on your points, Leng. It feels like a filler book, I kept checking the page count wondering how they're gonna fit the final showdown in and they just... don't. it just ends abruptly halfway though the story. for a book named after the tongue eater not a lot happens with it other then detached build up segments.
The whole stuff with The Last Echo feels a lot like Bierce noticing he ran out of ~*Mysteries*~ to foreshadow between the tongue eater and the census being explained.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
Mage Errant 6: Definitely felt incomplete to me. At the very least whatever Kanderon is doing should have resolved instead of cutting off right before the thing happened. Honestly I was kind of hoping that something interesting was going to happen with the Index. I won't be sad if sphynx mom can come back and be happy with Hugh though. The kids' journey felt too easy and I don't think the emotional payoffs were enough to support it, not without some sort of confrontation or conflict to draw out the themes better. (I did like the letter, though). Alustin's slow corruption at the hands of the Tongue Eater was probably my favorite part of it. It feels like an appropriate consequence of his betrayal. The kids lack a cohesive analogue for their own feelings about the betrayal. The new Warlock bond is probably the closest but it never really gets tested.

newts
Oct 10, 2012
My books don’t have any mages in them, errant or otherwise, but they are on KU!

I posted my low-key, sci-fi, mystery book here before. And now the sequel is up The Nocturnum Files

Both books are on KU, and the first book is free until May 6th. Give them a shot if you dare read something that’s completely goon-produced (my writing group + cover designer are all SA members too)

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006
You had me at free!

newts
Oct 10, 2012

PerniciousKnid posted:

You had me at free!

Probably the best thing about it :)

FightingMongoose
Oct 19, 2006
Time for some shameless self-promotion, my urban fantasy Unit 13: Only Ghouls and Horses is on KU.

https://viewbook.at/OnlyGhoulsAndHorses

If you like jokes about office bureaucracy then this book is for you.

Also, it has some magic, hunting witches, trying to exorcise ghosts and stuff like that to pad out the jokes about bureaucracy.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I'm almost done with Road to Nova Terra, by the guy who wrote Jake's Magical Market. This one is a slightly more straightforward LitRPG, but like his previous book, numbers exist but aren't really a focus. The setting is pretty cool, its post apocalyptic alt history Constantinople. The protagonist is, as in many of these stories, a straight up superhuman.

In fact he's actually an AI that was so depressed after the apocalypse war in his own reality, he decided to download himself into his ubermensch android body and scan alternate realities for ones that were like the games he played with his human brother/son/ward back before the apocalypse. Frankly it makes him kind of a boring character, but like the last book, the pacing is kind of a relentless adventure so it doesn't matter too much. It's also definitely on purpose cuz he slowly warms up over the course of the book and gets (a little) less boring.

Basically, this is another ~750 page tome of Cool Whip in writing form. I like it quite a bit, and while the main character basically blatantly has cheat powers, I appreciate that it mostly gets used in service of skipping as much of the boring logistics as possible. If you liked Magical Market you oughta give it a shot I think.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
For others: I tried finding that and it was "Portal to Nova Roma".

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

I'll split you open and I don't even like coconuts.
I posted this link in the main SF and F discussion thread and people said they enjoyed it, gave me some 5 star reviews, and mentioned I should post it here. Currently on free promo for the next 4 days. It's only 17 pages. I'd appreciate feedback or anything. If you just want to read it and not go through Amazon, there's a Google drive link in the main thread, and a link to another story in a similar vein called Liminal Coition that I haven't bothered putting up for sale yet.

Jack Martingale posted:

As the Gender Wars approach a bloody climax, the battered Brotherhood army spends itself in one final thrust to breach the Matriarchy’s heavily-defended capital city. It is a costly diversion, a desperate gambit to insert an elite team of soldiers behind enemy lines. Their objective: Ball’s Deep, a cryogenic sperm storage facility with enough frozen seed to make heterosexual intercourse unnecessary for the next thousand years. Resistance will be stiff, but Sergeant Milkstone and his Bros have a secret weapon—MTX, a weaponized form of testosterone that can turn anyone into an ultra-masculine super soldier. But when Milkstone develops a battlefield crush on Coach, his hardass superior officer, he begins to question if he wants to live in the world that will be created if the mission succeeds. Grab your piece. Size up. Get ready to ASSAULT ON BALLS DEEP!

Assault on Ball's Deep

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:
put liminal coition up it's good poo poo

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Megazver posted:

For others: I tried finding that and it was "Portal to Nova Roma".

i was kind of drunk sorry. lol

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

90s Cringe Rock posted:

put liminal coition up it's good poo poo

Thanks, I think I will. Here's a quick cover mock up:

Liminal Coition cover

Thoughts?

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

BananaNutkins posted:

Thanks, I think I will. Here's a quick cover mock up:

Liminal Coition cover

Thoughts?

Liminal Coition, the story, is a work of genius but this cover is not. It will kill any possibility of readers clicking on your book.

Quoting excerpts from the self-pub thread OP because this is how important it is if you want people to read your work, which I think is amazing, so I want to make sure you see this:

Sundae posted:

your cover and blurb. These are what sell your book, not the content inside it. You will never be read by anyone but your grandmother without a good blurb and cover. She's going to tell you it was "a very nice book, dearie" and you won't believe her because she's your grandmother. Avoid this entire shameful mess by crafting a good blurb and designing (or paying for) a good cover.

REPEAT AFTER ME...

Check your own genre and learn. Post draft covers in this thread for mockery. Hire cover designers from the list of designers in the RESOURCES section of this post. :)

Post your draft blurb and cover in the self-pub thread and ask for crits/suggestions there. The authors in the self-pub thread are very nice people I promise and if you don't have the budget to pay for even a premade cover, there are people there with experience in designing good covers who can point you in the right direction.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Seriously, knock off the Man gently caress This House cover with a more appropriate starting photo. Or maybe start with a different view of Groverhaus.

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Leng posted:

Liminal Coition, the story, is a work of genius but this cover is not. It will kill any possibility of readers clicking on your book.

Quoting excerpts from the self-pub thread OP because this is how important it is if you want people to read your work, which I think is amazing, so I want to make sure you see

drat, I thought THIS was the self-pub thread. Thanks for the cover advice. I'll scroll through and find the self-pub thread, wherever the hell it is.

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL

BananaNutkins posted:

drat, I thought THIS was the self-pub thread. Thanks for the cover advice. I'll scroll through and find the self-pub thread, wherever the hell it is.

It's linked in the name on the quoted post

Here

MartingaleJack
Aug 26, 2004

Dr Subterfuge posted:

It's linked in the name on the quoted post

Here

Thanks!

Coq au Nandos
Nov 7, 2006

I think I would say to my daughters if they were to ask me this question... A shitpost is the greatest gift that you can give someone, the ultimate gift of giving and don't give it to someone lightly, that's what I would say.

Cicero posted:

Just started this series. The writing definitely improves by the end of the third book but I can’t shake the impression that I’m reading about Shinji Ikari, wizard.

Draw the loving wards, Hugh.

Haystack
Jan 23, 2005

Coq au Nandos posted:

Just started this series. The writing definitely improves by the end of the third book but I can’t shake the impression that I’m reading about Shinji Ikari, wizard.

Draw the loving wards, Hugh.

This is tangental, but one of the things that I like about the series is that Hugh isn't inexplicably thrust into leading his peer group. Sabae has much better social and leadership skills, so she's the leader, simple as that. And everyone respects that and is happy with that. It's great!

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today
My turn to flog my epic fantasy book, which I've just put on KU: https://amazon.com/dp/B0B2SGJG8H

If you like Will Wight and John Bierce, then give this a shot. It's like a more adult version of Mage Errant and closer to Traveler's Gate/Elder Empire than Cradle.

Here's the blurb:

quote:

In the Dominion of Aleznuaweite, anyone can rise to the greatest heights—if they are willing to pay the price.

Failure is a luxury Rahelu can’t afford. Her family sold everything, left their ancestral home, and became destitute foreigners for the sake of her resonance skills. Now she can manipulate emotional echoes to discern truth from lies, conjure the past, and even foretell the future.

But an act of petty revenge by her rival destroys her chance at joining one of the great Houses. Desperate to prove her family’s sacrifices were not in vain, Rahelu calls upon the most dangerous magic of all—altering fortune.

A slight twist of fate is enough to restore her way forward…with deadly consequences she never bargained for. The Houses make a pawn of her in their bitter struggle for control of the Dominion. A shadowy cult grows ever closer to completing an ancient ritual.

And Rahelu discovers that fulfilling her oath to her family might come at the cost of her mother’s life.

navyjack
Jul 15, 2006

Leng posted:

My turn to flog my epic fantasy book, which I've just put on KU: https://amazon.com/dp/B0B2SGJG8H

If you like Will Wight and John Bierce, then give this a shot. It's like a more adult version of Mage Errant and closer to Traveler's Gate/Elder Empire than Cradle.

Here's the blurb:

Dunno about the book but that cover slaps!

Beefeater1980
Sep 12, 2008

My God, it's full of Horatios!

Re Petition: just downloaded this and prologue and ch1 are strong; I’m interested enough to read the rest.

Which lifts it above 90% of KU fiction.

E: enjoying the hunter rehearsing her resumé like a jaded millenial.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

navyjack posted:

Dunno about the book but that cover slaps!

No lie; when I got it back from the cover designer my jaw dropped open and I sat staring at it for a good ten minutes. I kept thinking that I ought to have some critiques to send back but my brain couldn't come up with any because they'd done an amazing cover

Beefeater1980 posted:

Re Petition: just downloaded this and prologue and ch1 are strong; I’m interested enough to read the rest.

Which lifts it above 90% of KU fiction.

E: enjoying the hunter rehearsing her resumé like a jaded millenial.

Thanks for giving my book a shot!

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Leng posted:

Here's the blurb:

I’m going to give this a shot out of goon solidarity, but in the “read this blurb and tell me when you decide ‘gently caress this book’” game I play with friends, the answer here for me was around sentence four.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Will's started the traditional Cradle cover countdown on his IG. Should be getting a Dreadgod cover/release date announcement within the next day or two I think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ulmont posted:

I’m going to give this a shot out of goon solidarity, but in the “read this blurb and tell me when you decide ‘gently caress this book’” game I play with friends, the answer here for me was around sentence four.

the very first proper noun in the blurb tells me it's one of those books where im never going to be able to tell them apart if they get close to the same length because I sure as poo poo can't read the actual words