Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I almost didn't realize you posted until I realized someone was quoting me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways the resolution seems pretty loving stupid.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'll complain more after the episode is over because I do not want to pause every 10 seconds to rant.

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
The end of the ep is at least as dumb imo

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wonder what the gently caress everyone is thinking at this moment.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why the gently caress are the normal students downcast when their anger was justified???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHAT.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DID SHE NOT HEAR HER MOM'S WORDS.

BECAUSE.

HER loving DOG.

BARKED.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
THERE ARE STILL 8 MINUTES LEFT.

WHY.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY ARE THEY CLAPPING?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHAT PART OF THIS EPISODE.

IS EVEN REMOTELY.

CLAP-WORTHY?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY IS THE REST OF THE SCHOOL CLAPPING.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Teachers are probably thinking they don't get paid enough for this poo poo*.

*They don't get paid enough in general, pay teachers more, please.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This may be the worst idol anime episode I have ever watched and this includes Bandori episode 3.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
SHE loving HAD THEM THIS WHOLE TIME????

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
DID HAZUKI NOT ASK HER MOM'S BEST FRIEND WHO WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL AS HER?

Yes_Cantaloupe
Feb 28, 2005
Renren is really, REALLY dumb

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Don't loving tell me the dean was also a school idol.

Please.

Please don't.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Yes_Cantaloupe posted:

Renren is really, REALLY dumb

She gets it from her (dead) mom.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY IS EVERYONE THERE STANDING AND WATCHING THEM INVITE HER.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Wait.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No...

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
ARE THEY GOING TO DO A loving APPLAUSE.

AGAIN?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
STILL 5 MINUTES LEFT.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why bully Sumire, whose plot was way more intriguing than Hazuki's?

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This "look at the camera while talking" would normally not aggravate me but this episode has me wired up.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
NO SHE HASN'T loving EARNED IT.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
YOU DON'T NEED TO BE THE CENTER TO SING.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Why does the first image have background for the text while the second one doesn't???

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This song is retroactively ruined for me.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
WHY WOULD YOU WASTE THIS BEAUTIFUL ENDING SHOT ON A DOGSHIT EPISODE.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh thank god the next episode is a Sumire one.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways my problems with this arc.

1: The "both sides are in the wrong" framing when there's one side clearly in the wrong????

The arc mainly deals with the outrage from the general studies students and the gang have to do their best to calm them down, while the music studies students are just blindly preparing for the festival by doing their music/dance studies and don't really do anything else. So it's like the privileged class just going about their activities without a care in the world while the oppressed people are out there suffering from the consequences (I get that it's a school festival and not 'real-life' issues but still).

Like, there's already a 'class' divide between the music studies students and the general studies students, given one of Kanon's initial issues being that she didn't get accepted in music studies and had to 'settle' for being in general studies and her coping with it until Kuku inspired her to join the school idol club.

And then Hazuki's whole election campaign was her promising to bridge the gap between the two sides, and then as soon as she's elected she loving turns around and betrays the general studies students by oppressing their right to participate in the school festival and relegating them to backup for the music studies students. There is literally only one side in the wrong here and that's Hazuki, not the general studies students! Yeah, sure, Hazuki has her reasons and trauma, but that doesn't justify and oppression at all!

But since the general studies students are the one that the gang has to deal with, and since Hazuki is a Liella, they're clearly in the wrong for getting mad and Kanon just has to make them see they're being too aggressive! And then in the big president address scene with the totally moving resolution, the general students are shown with their heads down, as if they're reflecting and going, "Maybe we had the wrong idea about Hazuki hating general studies, maybe we let our anger get the best of us."

Like gently caress nah their anger was 100% justified.

2: Hazuki never loving checking the school idol club room and her dead mom being one of the dumbest women to ever live.

Why did Hazuki not think to check the one place that could have loving solved her issues? Why didn't she ask the one person who knew? Why does Hazuki say to the dean, "So you knew my mom was a school idol after all..." when THEY WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL AT THE SAME loving TIME OF COURSE SHE loving KNEW. Like I might be misunderstanding here but I got the gist that while the dean was intent on never telling Hazuki about her mom un-prompted, she would have if Hazuki had asked, and that it wasn't a case of Hazuki having asked her and being lied to upon asking. It'd be a bit more understandable in Hazuki's case if it was, but then that would just make the dean seem like a dogshit person for assisting Hazuki's mom in hiding a secret from Hazuki that traumatized her. Also Hazuki's mom loving sucks.

But back to the point she never loving checked the school idol club room??????? Like, she apparently never thought to, because the key was in her house, and she only looked for the key once the dean asked her to help find it. Also why was the sole key to the school idol club in her house???? Did her mom take it with her when she left?

2.5: What the gently caress is with Hazuki's family circumstances.

I thought it was loving stupid that her dad left her mom because she wanted to open up a school but given that Hazuki is a) living in a giant-rear end house that she can't loving manage by herself and b) penniless maybe the dad loving had a point and Hazuki's mom wasted their family's fortunes on reviving a school with an unclear future in which case holy poo poo Hazuki's mom is the worst mom ever and the dumbest person in Love Live yet.

But she inspired Hazuki to be a school idol (before hiding the truth from her daughter because clearly that's a good idea) so everything's good I guess. Also how did Hazuki not loving hear her mom's words on how she felt about being a school idol? That dog loving barked for a split second, and the woman spoke for a good 3, 4 seconds.

2.6: Seriously Hazuki's mom is dumb and I'm glad she's dead.

See title of this section.

3: Hazuki's loving reasoning is dumb as poo poo.

I complained about it throughout the livepost session so I won't get too far into this, but it's dumb.

Mom was a school idol.
> There are no records of mom being as school idol.
> She regretted being a school idol.
> I don't want the school to have school idols.

I'll just write it off as trauma. Which leads to the next point, which is how the trauma is the loving plot.

4. The resolution to the arc is dumb as gently caress.

The episode is resolved (in a manner that's even worse than Bandori's two worst arcs - the Twinkle Twinkle Star episode and the Saaya arc) by Kanon finding the records of Hazuki's mom's school idol days and proving that no, school idols make you happy and bring you together. Hazuki cries, realizes she's had the wrong idea, recovers from her trauma, and everyone claps (see: section 4.5).

But it's dumb that it's framed as being resolved through Hazuki's trauma being lifted, because it still doesn't address the loving issue of the general studies students being oppressed! Hazuki doesn't even have a proper counterargument to offer to the general studies students lambasting her for loving them over and just stands there until Kanon comes to save her because the episode decides it's more important that the audience emphasize with her STRUGGLES and the SECRETS she's keeping and all the TRAUMA she's enduring.

When Hazuki goes back on her student council plans, it's not because she realizes she was wrong to oppress the general studies students (she already knew it was), but because she realized her mom liked being a school idol after all (and because her mom points out that being a school idol unified the school, but I'm not feeling charitable). Why is this school subject to the whims and biases of a failed politician? Why are we supposed to be glad about this resolution? AND WHY IS EVERYONE CLAPPING?

4.5: Why is everyone clapping?

Why is everyone clapping when Hazuki cries after Kanon's big speech? What part of this entire debacle is clap-worthy? WHY?

And did we REALLY need to have a scene where the 4 general studies school idols invite the music studies student to join them while a smattering of both general and music studies students watch to signify that everything is good now, all the sides have made up and now the school idol club is a symbol of harmony????? Did we?????

4.6: So why the gently caress is the school idol club a general club again?

Actually now that I think about it, why does Hazuki's mom's theoretical school idol club regret have to do with... anything? Why is the school idol club a general club in the first place when it does music and dance? Is it cause of Hazuki's personal bias? Was it always a general club even back then? I'm sure there are very good reasons but I'm too annoyed to consider them right now.

5: gently caress this episode.

Polsy
Mar 23, 2007

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Why does Hazuki say to the dean, "So you knew my mom was a school idol after all..." when THEY WENT TO THE SAME SCHOOL AT THE SAME loving TIME OF COURSE SHE loving KNEW. Like I might be misunderstanding here but I got the gist that while the dean was intent on never telling Hazuki about her mom un-prompted, she would have if Hazuki had asked, and that it wasn't a case of Hazuki having asked her and being lied to upon asking.

In episode 2 they get called into the office about making/not making the club and the dean says 'ah, I see what's going on, but we have to let them make the club' and Hazuki says 'But my mother -' and is interrupted with 'This has nothing to do with your mother', which in retrospect seems like a weird interaction if the intention is that Hazuki doesn't know she knows.

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Why is the school idol club a general club in the first place when it does music and dance? Is it cause of Hazuki's personal bias? Was it always a general club even back then? I'm sure there are very good reasons but I'm too annoyed to consider them right now.

Well, the club members are (were) general course students, and the dean specifically says that they don't have the right to stop general course students from doing musical activities even if they're bad at it. Presumably, music course students are held to a higher standard.

I think the old school was a pure music school, so that wouldn't apply either way.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

I CLAPPED. I CLAPPED WHEN I SAW IT.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'M loving DOING IT SQUARK.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
This last episode review is PISSING ME OFF.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
drat, Kuku fuckin' prepared a banner.

Did she just set it up months ago in preparation for the announcement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh god these normies don't even know what the Love Live is, holy poo poo, what the gently caress.

You're our only hope, Kuku.