Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Tiddy cat Buddha improving your day.
The bible I'm using (rsv2ce) makes a point of linking The Word at the start of John to the spirit of Wisdom from Proverbs.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Yeah, that's pretty standard in Christianity--it's where the cathedral of Holy Wisdom/Hagia Sophia gets its name.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?

Liquid Communism posted:

Even then, McDonald's has spent millions of dollars on psychological, marketing, and food science research to craft food that is as habit-forming as possible to ensure repeat business.

I tried to cover that with 'capitalist manipulation of food' but yeah I wasn't clear. Even so - that's an arguably evil act performed by human beings who have free will, not an act of an uncaring God, which is kinda what I was trying to get at.

e: I recently bought myself a Bible in German which is a language I barely speak ('can you say that more slowly, please?' and 'Excuse me, what's the best way to get to the station?' get you quite a long way) and it's a really fun and interesting experience reading the familiar stories in another language.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I have print copies of The Phenomenology of Spirit in both English and German. I was surprised that the paragraphs in the German original aren't numbered!

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Another way to think about them is different communities writing down their still oral spoken traditions as the Romans destroy their communities during the war.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Yes, the first century has a lot going on. And yes, the Romans were pretty thoroughly obliterating the existence of any characteristically Jewish nation. It's also amazing how quick all the founders of Christianity start getting murdered.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Prurient Squid posted:

I have print copies of The Phenomenology of Spirit in both English and German. I was surprised that the paragraphs in the German original aren't numbered!

Read that as Phrenology of Spirit at first. Was curious about the bumps on the Holy Spirit's metaphorical skull.

Killingyouguy!
Sep 8, 2014

D34THROW posted:

Read that as Phrenology of Spirit at first. Was curious about the bumps on the Holy Spirit's metaphorical skull.

Oh good it wasn't just me. Frankly it didn't even phase me. Of course spirit has skull shape

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

Even then, McDonald's has spent millions of dollars on psychological, marketing, and food science research to craft food that is as habit-forming as possible to ensure repeat business.

Weird fact: I basically quit going to my local McDonalds a year or two ago because the food isn't uniform for some hosed up reason. I don't know what the gently caress is going on in their kitchen but I've had overcooked burgers, McNuggets with scorch marks on them, and stale bans. It's a complete crapshoot whether you're going to get decent food which is weird because McDonalds was one of the pioneers in this.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

So the Gospel of John is pretty late. About 90 AD to 110 AD. And Jesus is raising the dead, walking on water, turning water to wine, the works. They're going to have a tough time crucifying my boy this time round.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

Am I right in thinking that Pharasaical Judaism is history transmission belt between the old Caananite religions and the modern Abrahamic religions (including modern Rabbinical Judaism).

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

Weird fact: I basically quit going to my local McDonalds a year or two ago because the food isn't uniform for some hosed up reason. I don't know what the gently caress is going on in their kitchen but I've had overcooked burgers, McNuggets with scorch marks on them, and stale bans. It's a complete crapshoot whether you're going to get decent food which is weird because McDonalds was one of the pioneers in this.

It might be a franchise not willing to pay enough. Places that don’t pay don’t have enough employees or good employees as a repercussion of the pandemic.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I mean it goes further than that. No matter what you are paying those people, fast food has completely divorced the worker from the product. You can't take pride in making a well crafted big Mac the way you could with a craftsman making a chair, or a chef making a dish.

LuckyCat
Jul 26, 2007

Grimey Drawer
There may not be many Hindus on SA, but today we celebrate Rama Navami, the birth of Lord Rama. As a Hanuman devotee, today is a special festival day- and Hanuman Jayanti is just around the corner as well (the largest holiday in my household).

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

LuckyCat posted:

There may not be many Hindus on SA, but today we celebrate Rama Navami, the birth of Lord Rama. As a Hanuman devotee, today is a special festival day- and Hanuman Jayanti is just around the corner as well (the largest holiday in my household).

I hope you have a wonderful holiday! My previous boss was very fond of Rama.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

The line in John about "Let he who is without sin cast the first stone" absolutely rocks.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

My favourite version of John is Jesus Christ Superstar.

...not really but I do love JCS.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I like the Laibach version.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

In Asimov's guide to the Bible he points out a verse about the reign of the Emperor that puts the crucifixion at 29AD. So that makes Jesus' birth 4BC, strange though that may sound.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

literally lol'd

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog.

Prurient Squid posted:

In Asimov's guide to the Bible he points out a verse about the reign of the Emperor that puts the crucifixion at 29AD. So that makes Jesus' birth 4BC, strange though that may sound.

Chronology of the Bible is very dicey since the gospel writers are writing down something they’ve only heard through oral tradition that happened 70-80 years ago. Like could you really nail down the difference between something that happened in 1953 and 1951 without consulting Wikipedia?

See the famous instance where Luke says the reason Joseph and Mary are going to Nazareth is the census of Quirinius which every Jew would have been super familiar with as a famous event like the the San Francisco fire or attack on pearl harbor but also happened in AD6 after Judea had become just another territory of the Roman Empire. Which doesn’t work with the events of king Herod in Matthew where Jesus family hides in Egypt explicitly because as a vassal state Herod wouldn’t dare send soldiers into Roman territory.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Does this thread ever discuss Islam, or maybe any Muslim or Indian people hanging out in here?

This isn't directly religion related, but I can't seem to figure out where to ask.

I started a new job a couple years ago, and one of the other engineers I work with is Muslim. I've known him for over 15 years or so just from being in the same industry, and he's a good friend.

I want to get him some kind of gift for the end of Ramadan (Eid al-Fitr I think?) and I'm not really sure what to get. He's Indian, so maybe something like this or this?

I'm an irish heathen so I have literally no cultural context on what would be appropriate. If this isn't the place to ask hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

A Proper Uppercut fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Apr 13, 2022

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

A Proper Uppercut posted:

Does this thread ever discuss Islam, or maybe any Muslim or Indian people hanging out in here?

This isn't directly religion related, but I can't seem to figure out where to ask.

I started a new job a couple years ago, and one of the other engineers I work with is Muslim. I've known him for over 15 years or so just from being in the same industry, and he's a good friend.

I want to get him some kind of gift for the end of Ramadan (Eid al-Fitr I think?) and I'm not really sure what to get. He's Indian, so maybe something like this or this?

I'm an irish heathen so I have literally no cultural context on what would be appropriate. If this isn't the place to ask hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.
Islam has come up although I think we have not much luck keeping Muslim regulars (though there may well be lurkers). In both the cases I can think of, it had more to do with cultural fit than a problem with Islam. We also have several Hindu regulars and indeed one posted rather recently.

Not sure about the sweets. I don't think it'd be wrong to ask, or perhaps if you know where he goes to services, to call up the imam or someone at the office. I doubt you're the first person to be in this situation!

BattyKiara
Mar 17, 2009

I'm sure he will be grateful, and if my Muslim co-workers are anything to go by, invite you over to sample the goodies.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Well, I'd like to keep it a secret, so I'll just take a chance and order something. As you say, I'm sure he'll be grateful. I really doubt anyone else here is acknowledging his holidays.

Tias
May 25, 2008

Pictured: the patron saint of internet political arguments (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
It is customary to invite each other in for eid, so if you ask him over for tea and sweets he will probably come.

Also, can you talk about irish heathenry? I know almost nothing except the anglo-saxon bits.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

Tias posted:

It is customary to invite each other in for eid, so if you ask him over for tea and sweets he will probably come.

Also, can you talk about irish heathenry? I know almost nothing except the anglo-saxon bits.

I've never interacted with him outside of work and he commutes quite a distance to get here, I'd feel really weird inviting him over like that. I'm also extremely socially awkward.

Ha, and the irish heathen thing, I just meant I'm a white agnostic type in the Northeast USA, so not much to talk about there. Just have no idea when it comes to norms with Eid gifts. Or Indian sweets.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

I've never interacted with him outside of work and he commutes quite a distance to get here, I'd feel really weird inviting him over like that. I'm also extremely socially awkward.

Ha, and the irish heathen thing, I just meant I'm a white agnostic type in the Northeast USA, so not much to talk about there. Just have no idea when it comes to norms with Eid gifts. Or Indian sweets.

Even if it's a little bit weird, he'll appreciate that you noticed and thought about him. Don't sweat getting the perfect thing.

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

I would just get him an (alcohol-free) Irish goodies gift basket because he probably has a lot of Indian friend giving him Indian stuff already.

Prurient Squid
Jul 21, 2008

I just clicked through a series of pictures someone posted on social media of Jesus washing the feet of a man on death row, Trump, Biden, A guy man, a policeman, a Ukrainian refugee, an alchoholic... etc...

It was interesting to see how everyone of the comments are people seeing what they want to see and rationalising it to suit their worldview.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So the Mormons came back last week, I finally just said "I'm not really sure about this, I'll call you if I want you to come back." Or basically this. I had more spine than I usually do but I probably could have been more forceful.

But then they did come back today. I slept in and, to be fair, they did text me last night, even if I missed it. Doorbell wakes me up, I answer the door and they want me to come to their church for Easter Sunday. I agreed to go but now my GF is telling me no, she doesn't want me surrounded by a bunch of strangers and she's apparently heard bad things about what the Church does to people who leave it and so-on.

I dunno. I was thinking I'd go because I can't get a number of the local church anyway on Google or even calling the national LDS phone line, and I was thinking I'd ask somebody in charge to get these two to not bother me anymore. But with my GF being so anxious, I'm obviously gonna listen to her. I'll text these guys back and say something came up - which is the truth - and say again please don't come by unless I ask you to. I don't like texts or tweets sometimes because the tone can be lost in messages like that but at least I can be as clear as I need to be when texting.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

NikkolasKing posted:

So the Mormons came back last week, I finally just said "I'm not really sure about this, I'll call you if I want you to come back." Or basically this. I had more spine than I usually do but I probably could have been more forceful.

But then they did come back today. I slept in and, to be fair, they did text me last night, even if I missed it. Doorbell wakes me up, I answer the door and they want me to come to their church for Easter Sunday. I agreed to go but now my GF is telling me no, she doesn't want me surrounded by a bunch of strangers and she's apparently heard bad things about what the Church does to people who leave it and so-on.

I dunno. I was thinking I'd go because I can't get a number of the local church anyway on Google or even calling the national LDS phone line, and I was thinking I'd ask somebody in charge to get these two to not bother me anymore. But with my GF being so anxious, I'm obviously gonna listen to her. I'll text these guys back and say something came up - which is the truth - and say again please don't come by unless I ask you to. I don't like texts or tweets sometimes because the tone can be lost in messages like that but at least I can be as clear as I need to be when texting.

They may be genuinely nice, but the niceness is also trained into them to make it harder to say no to them. They're fundamentally salesmen trying to get you to buy a used car.

Stop being nice to them, tell them to leave you alone and get lost. If Mormonism is appealing to you, get into on your own and set your involvement on your own terms.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Yeah, exactly. Stop saying 'don't come unless I call you' and start saying 'don't come any more'. And don't indulge them in long conversations. Think of them as salesmen. You might want the thing they're selling or you might not, but you *certainly* don't need to be strong-armed into buying it on their terms.

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

you can also just not answer the door if you dont want to talk to whoever is out there

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

This is also the classic "goon in a hole" problem.

No, it will not be easier to climb out if you just dig the hole a little deeper. If you want to get out of the hole, stop digging.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Yes, don't form a covenant with Heavenly Father because it'd be too embarrassing to tell these nice guys to buzz off. They'll probably be disappointed, of course, but that's because they probably figure they've got you.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:

Deteriorata posted:

This is also the classic "goon in a hole" problem.

No, it will not be easier to climb out if you just dig the hole a little deeper. If you want to get out of the hole, stop digging.

Before we all start pissing in it.

I got the Mormons and JW to leave my loving family alone by telling them in nice but forceful terms to gently caress off and don't come back. I can and I will call the local Kingdom Hall or LDS church if they come back.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Fake your death and burn your apt down imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BIG FLUFFY DOG
Feb 16, 2011

Becoming a Mormon because I don’t know how to say no or be the bad guy is one of my favorite sitcom plots