Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Yep, Taiwan operates them, but I’m not sure if the US has those or it’s a purely local adaptation.

They're being supplied by the US. The Dutch also have them, so there are already some systems on Continent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Prepare for my priapic projectile's exalted penetration
Nap Ghost

Stultus Maximus posted:

How long would you suppose it would take to get Patriot batteries in the field?

This is not a realistic ask, for a combination of security, manufacturing, political, and technical reasons.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mlmp08 posted:

This is not a realistic ask, for a combination of security, manufacturing, political, and technical reasons.

We give it to KSA, how is Ukraine somehow more unrealistic?

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Stultus Maximus posted:

How long would you suppose it would take to get Patriot batteries in the field?

6 months if you want them to be used effectively and not break immediately. I am not joking.

Maybe 3 months if you convert experienced s-300 crews and had EXCELLENT bilingual instructors.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

mlmp08 posted:

I know literally nothing about Patriot batteries technically or operationally, but if we can give them to Saudi Arabia, what are the security and political issues with Ukraine?

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

A.o.D. posted:

6 months if you want them to be used effectively and not break immediately. I am not joking.

Man imagine Russia in six months waking up to US made Fighters and Patriot air defenses. :gritin:

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

The Ukrainians have given us access to Russian EWAR, PENAIDS, and other assets of at least equal value to PATRIOT. We owe it to them to get them the training and systems.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost

Marshal Prolapse posted:

We give it to KSA, how is Ukraine somehow more unrealistic?

We do not “give” it to KSA. We established a sales program spanning years of manufacture, training, fielding, logistical support, which to this day is supported by a US Military Training Mission consisting of US Army air defense technicians, trainers, staff officers, logisticians, and contractors, US Air Force advisors, operating within the borders of the Kingdom, and there is an established defense treaty with KSA and has been for years. It is supported by a mix of bilateral and multilateral agreements, operations agreements, and regular air warfare center and centcom partner network exercises and training evaluations.

If manufacturing was done by a Star Trek level nano-fabricator, money was no object, political considerations stopped existing, and literally the only thing you gave one aingle poo poo about was operating the sustem and trucks (so no first aid, no basic soldiering, no integration with any other sensor or country, just basic, bare-bones BN internal ops with maybe a phone line to the Ukrainian air force), maybe you could train up a unit in 90-120 days to be “kinda ok.” This assumes they are bot harassed by attacks and that US contractor support is present for maintenance.

Units whose entire reason for existence, with purpose built MOS for Patriot, take about 6 months to reach BN-level intermediate-level certification, which is the bare bones requirement to deploy. Part of why it takes 6 months is weekends, small arms ranges, physical fitness time, and training to do things like load it on trucks, rail, and airplanes, but still.

E: apologies for typos, phone postin’

mlmp08 fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Apr 9, 2022

Nick Soapdish
Apr 27, 2008

https://twitter.com/MacWBishop/status/1512795949218734082?t=U3sDDhl6feSnpKe8CJ3P6g&s=19

https://twitter.com/MacWBishop/status/1512802664219701256?t=BTrlfblAOiw3PJTsofvqJg&s=19

I cannot imagine how hosed up it is to be pressing METOC Os into vehicles

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

mlmp08 posted:

We do not “give” it to KSA. We established a sales program spanning years of manufacture, training, fielding, logistical support, which to this day is supported by a US Military Training Mission consisting of US Army air defense technicians, trainers, staff officers, logisticians, and contractors, US Air Force advisors, operating within the borders of the Kingdom, and there is an established defense treaty with KSA and has been for years. It is supported by a mix of bilateral and multilateral agreements, operations agreements, and regular air warfare center and centcom partner network exercises and training evaluations.

If manufacturing was done by a Star Trek level nano-fabricator, money was no object, political considerations stopped existing, and literally the only thing you gave one aingle poo poo about was operating the sustem and trucks (so no first aid, no basic soldiering, no integration with any other sensor or country, just basic, bare-bones BN internal ops with maybe a phone line to the Ukrainian air force), maybe you could train up a unit in 90-120 days to be “kinda ok.” This assumes they are bot harassed by attacks and that US contractor support is present for maintenance.

Units whose entire reason for existence, with purpose built MOS for Patriot, take about 6 months to reach BN-level intermediate-level certification, which is the bare bones requirement to deploy. Part of why it takes 6 months is weekends, small arms ranges, physical fitness time, and training to do things like load it on trucks, rail, and airplanes, but still.

I think that could be brought down to 3-4 months, but you'd have to take a skilled s-300 crew out of combat for the entire time period, and you'd need excellent bilingual instructors. Otherwise, I agree completely

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

A.o.D. posted:

The Ukrainians have given us access to Russian EWAR, PENAIDS, and other assets of at least equal value to PATRIOT. We owe it to them to get them the training and systems.

Agreed. But you do realize that these crews cannot be trained in situ, right? To train Ukrainian crews on the Patriot you'd have to take active personnel who are doing valuable and needed work in the theater off the line and keep them off said line for 3-6+ months.

This is "armchair generalling" at its worst. I get "we need to give them everything they need," but this would actually *hurt* Ukraine's warfighting capability. Every S-300 crew transitioning to Patriot is an S-300 crew not downing Russian warplanes. Every T-64 crew learning to operate an M1A2 is a T-64 crew not popping turrets off of T-80s.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...
https://twitter.com/macwbishop/status/1512803920623509512?s=21&t=OUJP1XD0jcMwVAdYvU2Vag

they brought tracksuits with them because they were told to bring a tuxedo

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Agreed. But you do realize that these crews cannot be trained in situ, right? To train Ukrainian crews on the Patriot you'd have to take active personnel who are doing valuable and needed work in the theater off the line and keep them off said line for 3-6+ months.

This is "armchair generalling" at its worst. I get "we need to give them everything they need," but this would actually *hurt* Ukraine's warfighting capability.

I have been implying exactly that. It's 6 months of training, not 6 months of correspondence courses.

The past page or so I've been stating exactly that we can't just give them those systems. It won't do any good. HOwever, I do believe that this war does have a long term, and that we can best help the Ukrainians by gearing them up for that long term struggle. Please read the entire post before lighting your straw man on fire.

Saukkis
May 16, 2003

Unless I'm on the inside curve pointing straight at oncoming traffic the high beams stay on and I laugh at your puny protest flashes.
I am Most Important Man. Most Important Man in the World.
I would assume Ukraine has lost enough S-300 systems that there could be S-300 crews available.

mlmp08
Jul 11, 2004

Nap Ghost
Not to be an rear end in a top hat, but I’d wager knowing how to use an S-300 cuts like… maybe one week of training out of a months-long program to operate patriot. And that training is largely just “here’s how an airplane flies and here’s how a helicopter flies, and TBMs go fast and high.”

Same likely applies going from Patriot to S300 or S-400.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

Transferring weapons and parts from former Warsaw Pact countries who were already transitioning to NATO stuff is probably the best intermediate step, and is indeed already underway.

Weaning Ukraine completely off of Soviet stuff will take years, though (assuming they even want to - the T-64s they've been using are largely fully overhauled and updated, and appear to be going toe to toe with the Russians handily).

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

Transferring weapons and parts from former Warsaw Pact countries who were already transitioning to NATO stuff is probably the best intermediate step, and is indeed already underway.

Weaning Ukraine completely off of Soviet stuff will take years, though (assuming they even want to - the T-64s they've been using are largely fully overhauled and updated).

I think that’s actually been discussed as a long term goal.

I think a good short term goal is giving them whatever they need to sink the Russian black fleet is key as it could secure Odessa and *possibly* allow for resupply of Mariupol. I mean both in practical terms and morale terms for both sides, nailing naval targets would be huge.

psydude
Apr 1, 2008

The UK already said they were sending ASMs. No idea on which ones and when they'll arrive, though. But I agree sinking a Russian ship or two to keep them away from the coasts would be helpful especially if/when they retake Kherson and move to cut off the land bridge from Crimea.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

psydude posted:

The UK already said they were sending ASMs. No idea on which ones and when they'll arrive, though. But I agree sinking a Russian ship or two to keep them away from the coasts would be helpful especially if/when they retake Kherson and move to cut off the land bridge from Crimea.

https://twitter.com/Osinttechnical/status/1512837866258419713

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

psydude posted:

:same:

Yeah, and honestly the shame of losing your navy to a country with no effective navy is huge. Granted that’s a added bonus. However, their is an additional knock on effect of huge potential casualties on the Russian side. I can’t imagine they are efficiently run or crewed (ie like an old Iowa or the always one fire AC they run), granted they could always been severely understaffed. That said they could also be filled with vehicles too. Kind of like a loot box. lol

Edit: Thanks for the info AoD on the sea spear!

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I think that’s actually been discussed as a long term goal.

I think a good short term goal is giving them whatever they need to sink the Russian black fleet is key as it could secure Odessa and *possibly* allow for resupply of Mariupol. I mean both in practical terms and morale terms for both sides, nailing naval targets would be huge.

Not to mention the economic impact of securing Odessa.

A.o.D.
Jan 15, 2006

Marshal Prolapse posted:

:same:

Yeah, and honestly the shame of losing your navy to a country with no effective navy is huge. Granted that’s a added bonus. However, their is an additional knock on effect of huge potential casualties on the Russian side. I can’t imagine they are efficiently run or crewed (ie like an old Iowa or the always one fire AC they run), granted they could always been severely understaffed. That said they could also be filled with vehicles too. Kind of like a loot box. lol

Edit: Thanks for the info AoD on the sea spear!

Just the threat of being able to attack the Russian Navy ought to be enough to force Russia to retire those assets. With the Bosphorous closed, they can't reinforce or replace those hulls, and I suspect that their ability to repair damaged ships in situ is very limited.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Stultus Maximus posted:

Not to mention the economic impact of securing Odessa.

A very good point as well. I know it’s kind of temping to think the naval front is solely for Russia, but I think (considering it’s the Black Sea and not the Black Ocean) you can launch asymmetric warfare against an enemy navy, even if you kind of lack one currently.

A.o.D. posted:

Just the threat of being able to attack the Russian Navy ought to be enough to force Russia to retire those assets. With the Bosphorous closed, they can't reinforce or replace those hulls, and I suspect that their ability to repair damaged ships in situ is very limited.

Yeah. Turkey would probably be laughing their asses off the whole time.

Also possibly wreck some naval poo poo on Crimea to screw with Russia like the Oil Depot attack. Make they have to commit more resources there.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Apr 9, 2022

Kaal
May 22, 2002

through thousands of posts in D&D over a decade, I now believe I know what I'm talking about. if I post forcefully and confidently, I can convince others that is true. no one sees through my facade.
The real talk about “defensive weapons” is that the term means whatever people want it to mean. And generally that seems to be some variation of “not well-armed”. Tanks and fighter jets are used just as defensively as Javelins and Stingers. Finland defends itself from Russia with the largest artillery force in Europe. South Korea defends itself from North Korea with one million land mines. The most well-known defensive weapons are ballistic submarines, but I don’t think for a moment that any of the Neville Chamberlains would be comfortable with Ukraine getting command of those. I think the term is largely performative, and has mainly been employed by Scholz and the like-minded to help justify their lack of support for Ukraine.

This isn’t an argument in favor of supplying any particular weapon system, so much as pointing out that the “defensive arms only” concept is hollowly rhetorical.

Kaal fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Apr 9, 2022

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I’ll take 20 pallets of them!
Also it’s full name is The Brimstone.

https://youtu.be/F1cS8zhweq4

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

stealie72 posted:

Ukraine is going to capture Moscow fuelled by pure rage and armed by the west.

I don't know about Moscow, but I'm beginning to think Sevastopol might be on the table.

Fragrag
Aug 3, 2007
The Worst Admin Ever bashes You in the head with his banhammer. It is smashed into the body, an unrecognizable mass! You have been struck down.
https://twitter.com/MacWBishop/status/1512797114253803524

The BTR lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, its wheels are turning trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Madurai posted:

I don't know about Moscow, but I'm beginning to think Sevastopol might be on the table.

I think a side of Russian Pacific Fleet 2.0 as a bisque might be too.

https://youtu.be/F1cS8zhweq4

I love this thing, because it seems like you could launch it off a yacht.

Hmmm…yes rig some of those impounded yachts with them or better yet pack them with explosives and set it to be a giant speeding boat version of VBIED make it a SBIED.

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Stultus Maximus posted:

I know literally nothing about Patriot batteries technically or operationally, but if we can give them to Saudi Arabia, what are the security and political issues with Ukraine?

Moscow would see pushing the US ballistic missile shield into Ukraine as a step forward in terms of nuclear escalation. There is still a sword of Damocles hanging over this conflict that needs to be considered.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Brimstone/Sea Spear appears to be an excellent little missile, but it’s Hellfire-class, not an actual anti-ship missile. As an example, a Harpoon’s warhead alone is heavier than four complete Brimstone missiles. Great for small craft and armored vehicles, but not particularly useful against large amphibs or warships.

(This isn’t a knock on the missile, just stressing that this doesn’t give Ukraine any kind of serious ASuW credibility on its own.)

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

MrYenko posted:

Brimstone/Sea Spear appears to be an excellent little missile, but it’s Hellfire-class, not an actual anti-ship missile. As an example, a Harpoon’s warhead alone is heavier than four complete Brimstone missiles. Great for small craft and armored vehicles, but not particularly useful against large amphibs or warships.

(This isn’t a knock on the missile, just stressing that this doesn’t give Ukraine any kind of serious ASuW credibility on its own.)

What about strikes on the bridge and (god willing because the Russians are morons) exposed ammo and fuel onboard or being off loaded?

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Marshal Prolapse posted:

What about strikes on the bridge and (god willing because the Russians are morons) exposed ammo and fuel onboard or being off loaded?

Any hit is a good hit, ya. It just probably isn’t going to be a hard-kill except in exceptional circumstances. Range is also a pretty significant factor for something like a Brimstone or Hellfire.

lightpole
Jun 4, 2004
I think that MBAs are useful, in case you are looking for an answer to the question of "Is lightpole a total fucking idiot".

Marshal Prolapse posted:

A bridge strike could do something cause it would take out critical personel/equipment. Very low chance you do something with a fuel strike, the explosive tanks (JP5) should be topped off and inerted, the bunker tanks are unlikely to cause catastrophic failure with a direct hit.

Ordinance would have to be break bulk and concentrated to cause catastrophic failure I would think, you would need a chain reaction or something so everything lights off. There are plenty of regulations on moving explosives since there's a lot of experience with poo poo blowing up on ships even if its just blasting caps. Its not impossible, just very unlikely I think.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

MrYenko posted:

Seconding this. My favorite part is the documentarian attempting to film a tiny indie doc about doping himself to prove how effective it can be in amateur competition and accidentally stumbling into the entire Russian doping program.

It’s legitimately amazing.

Yeah that is 100% an insane documentary, totally did not see it finishing there from where it started.

Hannibal Rex
Feb 13, 2010
A brief overview of the kind of equipment Ukraine is receiving:
https://twitter.com/Caucasuswar/status/1512532609435320325?t=SeK4CN9E02M226FyLYSJFA&s=19

Can't find it again, but I believe there was a NATO statement along the lines of, "we must be prepared that the conflict could take years, and start training Ukrainians to use Western equipment" recently.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

lightpole posted:

A bridge strike could do something cause it would take out critical personel/equipment. Very low chance you do something with a fuel strike, the explosive tanks (JP5) should be topped off and inerted, the bunker tanks are unlikely to cause catastrophic failure with a direct hit.

Ordinance would have to be break bulk and concentrated to cause catastrophic failure I would think, you would need a chain reaction or something so everything lights off. There are plenty of regulations on moving explosives since there's a lot of experience with poo poo blowing up on ships even if its just blasting caps. Its not impossible, just very unlikely I think.

Yeah the bridge strike I think is far more feasible and the other relies far more on Russian incompetence, based on what you’re saying.

Also if a bridge strike went really well, you potentially could get a fairly high-ranking naval guy, which would be a nice little propaganda coup.

Tomn
Aug 23, 2007

And the angel said unto him
"Stop hitting yourself. Stop hitting yourself."
But lo he could not. For the angel was hitting him with his own hands

A.o.D. posted:

I dunno about their inability to repair in theater - isn't Sevastopol a major fleet base and half the reason why Russia wanted Crimea in the first place?

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

Tomn posted:

I dunno about their inability to repair in theater - isn't Sevastopol a major fleet base and half the reason why Russia wanted Crimea in the first place?

Ayup.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/lapatina_/status/1512877988316078080?s=21&t=Sao8cdYurmx2dWSEz1Brag

I am deeply concerned about what the Russians would be dropping that it would need a parachute to protect the plane dropping it. Like what in the US arsenal requires a parachute besides a daisy cutter or maybe a Moab?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Parachutes are to protect bombers? I always figured it was due to some property of the bomb