Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

When you start new game+ does it only make the mirror available, without changing anything else? The description makes it sound like hard mode, but that wouldn't be.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~
Your lovely shrine maiden fox wife, Tamamo no Mae, is here to help!

Mescal posted:

When you start new game+ does it only make the mirror available, without changing anything else? The description makes it sound like hard mode, but that wouldn't be.

Do you mean Hell Mode? Yeah, it's just a hard difficulty level. Run-down of everything it changes on the wiki here: https://hades.fandom.com/wiki/Hell_Mode

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Incidentally Hell Mode also has the side offer of making Erebus Gates not terrible since it doesn’t bump up the requirements. Honestly it almost feels like they balanced the gates around hell mode…

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

Mescal posted:

New Game + is just doing another run through on the old save tbh

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I just did a run where I was making GBS threads out insane amounts of fast damage. I started with the Magnet Cutter aspect of the fist weapon, and stuck to mainly Zeus and Dionysus boons. By the time I got to Elysium, I was just steam-rolling every room.

The core 3 boons were Attack Caused Hangover, Special Causes Lightning Strike, and Cast Throws Festive Fog. As I progressed, I kept getting boons that synergized wonderfully for upping the damage.
Lightning Damage Causes Jolt, perfect. Then chance for Lightning to strike twice. Then lightning spreads to other enemies. Then Festive Fog also shoots lightning. The icing on the cake was Enemies with Hangover take more damage while in the Festive Fog. So I'd be darting around throwing out Fog Bombs and causing Lightning to hit everything multiple times, and the Fog poo poo out more lightning while I punched everything into Hangover town.

About half way to the surface, I grabbed Athena's Deflect When Dashing boon, and I was basically unstoppable at that point. Almost made things too easy.

Krime
Jul 30, 2003

Somebody has to do the scoring around here.
Here's a Hell Mode story for ya...

It snowed a few months ago and I shoveled so much my right elbow started to hurt.

Turns out it wasn't the shoveling that did it, it was too much button mashing playing Hades.

Don't get old... That's Hell mode.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Pact of Punishment: Repetitive Stress Injury.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I once played ao much Diablo 3 with my friend that both of us developed back problems due to the mouse clicking.

Cannon_Fodder
Jul 17, 2007

"Hey, where did Steve go?"
Design by Kamoc

Glazius posted:

So, it's probably pretty common knowledge by now that bringing a certain item (Yarn of Ariadne) into the Theseus fight will get you some special YOU GOT SOME NERVE BRINGING THAT poo poo IN HERE dialogue from the former King of Athens.

I didn't think much of it initially, it's just Theseus whipping himself into a froth over nothing, like he always does. But how does he instantly recognize it across a battle arena? I can think of three completely bullshitly speculative explanations.

1) His past's weighing on him more than he lets on.

2) Everyone in Elysium is throwing that poo poo in his face constantly whenever they can find some, just for the reaction.

3, spoily) Dionysus tends to bring it up after he gets called on during a fight, for wife reasons.

Did this a few days ago. Suck poo poo Theseus.

poly and open-minded
Nov 22, 2006

In BOD we trust

I sprained a finger (not playing Hades) and now I can't play Hades. This is hell

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

poly and open-minded posted:

I sprained a finger (not playing Hades) and now I can't play Hades. This is hell Hades

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

My God, it's full of cat pictures!

Last night I managed to get the Rocket Bomb/Cluster Bomb combo for the Rail. It's absolutely ridiculous. I lost two charges of Death Defiance on Hades just because I wanted to get in close and see how fast I could finish him off; with Demeter's special and a few other general damage-boosting boons I was doing roughly 1000-1200 per attack if all the rockets hit.

Philman
Jan 20, 2004

after a few more run ins with Hades I'm starting to get the hang of him.

I'm so hooked on this game right now.

getting that final chaos boon is proving difficult.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

I finally beat Extreme Measures 4 for the first time. Took me four attempts; the first two I didn't even make it to the final phase of the fight. I probably would have beaten the third attempt had I remembered the I still had my CC summon available, it was that close. Success in that fight seems really build-dependent, at least with the sword.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002
Is there anything in this game more reliably satisfying than saving up a fully charged Aphrodite or Artemis call, then right as Theseus makes his call just ending him immediately?

“Neat trick Theseus, I can do that too, but better.”

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Riven posted:

Is there anything in this game more reliably satisfying than saving up a fully charged Aphrodite or Artemis call, then right as Theseus makes his call just ending him immediately?

I like doing this with the Ares call, just for the schadenfreude of watching the initial attack flurry from his call do absolutely nothing while I stand there draining his health. It's even better doing this after hearing him gripe at me about destroying his precious chariot.

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Riven posted:

If you have Aphrodite, the call doesn't even need to be fully charged. Charming Theseus when he's using his own call causes him to focus the attacks on himself.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

serefin99 posted:

If you have Aphrodite, the call doesn't even need to be fully charged. Charming Theseus when he's using his own call causes him to focus the attacks on himself.

Holy poo poo.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

serefin99 posted:

Wait, are you serious? :stare:

Lt. Lizard fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Apr 7, 2022

Hobbes
Sep 12, 2000
Forum Veteran
Dinosaur Gum
Some of yall be sleeping on the Aphrodite's Aid/Smoldering Air/Quick Favor build where you make the boys beat each other senseless and then can charm dad every time he flinches to the point he's basically stun-locked for the whole fight.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lt. Lizard posted:

Wait, are you serious? :stare:

Charm does work on bosses, and will cause them to attack the enemies they spawn or even themselves, depending on the attack.

Charm has a much shorter duration on bosses, though - it only lasts for about a second. It does tend to interrupt whatever they were doing at the moment you charmed them, though, so it's still really good.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
It also has really good damage so even if the effect doesn’t work out quite the way you want it’s not like it’s a wasted action.

Although I’m an Artemis man myself

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Vizuyos posted:

Charm does work on bosses, and will cause them to attack the enemies they spawn or even themselves, depending on the attack.

Charm has a much shorter duration on bosses, though - it only lasts for about a second. It does tend to interrupt whatever they were doing at the moment you charmed them, though, so it's still really good.

Yeah, I know about the super cheesy charm stunlock on bosses, I just didn't thought you could get them to attack themselves. It somehow never came up whenever I was lucky enough to get Charm on my run.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
I’ve come around to having Dio’s call be my fav, it’s a monster when you get the stack+ boons but it’s really good in general. you want to use it as soon as you get a charge, so it synergizes well with boons that give you +damage after using a call

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007
The best cast is demeter's beams. Especially if you get the fast tracking duo power. They just melt everything.

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

Captain Monkey posted:

The best cast is demeter's beams. Especially if you get the fast tracking duo power. They just melt everything.

Hunting blades is my favorite though.

Yngwie Mangosteen
Aug 23, 2007

Sorbus posted:

Also fun but nothing beats the beams for me.

DontMockMySmock
Aug 9, 2008

I got this title for the dumbest fucking possible take on sea shanties. Specifically, I derailed the meme thread because sailors in the 18th century weren't woke enough for me, and you shouldn't sing sea shanties. In fact, don't have any fun ever.
Top 4 casts:

4. Ares blade rifts with Hunting Blades (homing)
3. Athena phalanx shot with Lightning Phalanx (ricochets)
2. Demeter beams with Crystal Clarity (fast tracking)
1. Dionysus fog with Ice Wine (instant-cast and chill)

serefin99
Apr 15, 2016

Mikoooon~

Sorbus posted:

I've complained about this before and will complain about it again: the game knows when I'm trying to go for Hunting Blades and adamantly refuses to give it to me before Temple of Styx.

Crystal Clarity for life. :colbert:

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

DontMockMySmock posted:

Top 4 casts:

4. Ares blade rifts with Hunting Blades (homing)
3. Athena phalanx shot with Lightning Phalanx (ricochets)
2. Demeter beams with Crystal Clarity (fast tracking)
1. Dionysus fog with Ice Wine (instant-cast and chill)

In no particular order:
Dionysus with Zeus duo and Stygian blood.
Poseidon with Demeter duo.
Demeter with chill and full chill burst on it.
Artemis/Zeus duo and deliberately horrible aim.

Vizuyos
Jun 17, 2020

Thank U for reading

If you hated it...
FUCK U and never come back

Lt. Lizard posted:

Yeah, I know about the super cheesy charm stunlock on bosses, I just didn't thought you could get them to attack themselves. It somehow never came up whenever I was lucky enough to get Charm on my run.

Yeah, I didn't know about it either, but it makes sense. Most boss attacks can't really hit themselves in the first place, but Theseus's call can have free targeting.

KPC_Mammon
Jan 23, 2004

Ready for the fashy circle jerk
I really like putting multiple Aphrodite's cast into Hera's bow and just one shotting everything. Due to the way it works the shards rarely if ever get stuck in an enemy so you can scoop them up and immediately do it again.

Clowner
Dec 13, 2006

Further in

Riven posted:

I did this during the Hades fight and the full force of my fully charged Artemis call hung a left and went straight into one of his puny minions. First time I've come to close to throwing a controller in years.

DJ_Mindboggler
Nov 21, 2013

KPC_Mammon posted:

I really like putting multiple Aphrodite's cast into Hera's bow and just one shotting everything. Due to the way it works the shards rarely if ever get stuck in an enemy so you can scoop them up and immediately do it again.

This one's all fun and games until you miss in Asphodel and get all your casts stuck deep out in the lava. Though Asphodel is annoying for all cast builds for that reason I suppose.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Clowner posted:

I did this during the Hades fight and the full force of my fully charged Artemis call hung a left and went straight into one of his puny minions. First time I've come to close to throwing a controller in years.

Oh yeah that sucks, it’s the worst. I only let calls loose once the minions are cleared.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Riven posted:

Oh yeah that sucks, it’s the worst. I only let calls loose once the minions are cleared.

For me it depends on what he summons. If it's a bunch of void stones and one of the Elysian warriors, I'd consider it a cast well spent just to get the field cleared and Hades open to damage again that much faster.

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!
Y'all are missing out on Curse Of Drowning (Posiedon/Ares) builds. It's technically a stunlock for Hades because he'll be throwing up his shields a second after using it on him.

Riven
Apr 22, 2002

Meaty Ore posted:

For me it depends on what he summons. If it's a bunch of void stones and one of the Elysian warriors, I'd consider it a cast well spent just to get the field cleared and Hades open to damage again that much faster.

Yeah depends on the call too. If I have something that’s not single target like Dio or Demeter I’ll use it then.

Meaty Ore
Dec 17, 2011

Just got the second Skelly prize a couple days ago. That's all the achievements for me!

Now I just have to do a 32 heat run, do all the badges, and buy a few more things for the house, and this file will be done!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
Still under 20 runs but just unlocked the gun and it feels like just spamming the bombs with an upgrade or two on them feels a lot more effective than a lot of the normal weapons. Just in terms of hitting groups of enemies from afar and potentially doing ridiculous damage. I guess the downside is that the normal gun attack feels kind of bad outside of its range. I was stuck on Theseus and Asterius for several runs but the first time I played using the gun I was able to get past them and get to Hades for the first time.
Probably obviously the weapon I was the worst at was fists (only used them once) as I was taking too much damage. Haven't tried the bow since it seemed awkward to use.
What does the status effect Hades puts on you that turns the edges of the screen green do?