Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

StarkingBarfish posted:

Went on a canotto binge. This is proof you can make insane canotto Pizzas using standard blue caputo pizzeria in case anyone cared. The cornicione on these is about 3' high.

Tuna caper and onion

Broccoli, Gorgonzola and Mozz

Mmmmm, cum pizza

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ogopogo posted:

Those look loving awesome and canotto is always fun to do. I always found it much more a function of how you proof and open your dough versus a specific flour to achieve the corniccione, very cool to see your results and definitely eyeballing that broccoli Gorgonzola bad boy.

Yeah, the process is more important than the flour for sure, but caputo has 'nuvola' and 'pizzeria' where nuvola is supposed to be better for big, airy cornicione. I just stick with pizzeria and up the hydration ever so slightly from my usual neapolitan recipe, proving it a little longer at room temp. The dough isn't that much harder to work with even at 67% hydration versus my more usual 65%.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Mmmmm, cum pizza

Joking aside, I find it hard to get the toppings fully cooked before the crust starts burning when doing canotto- it's so much closer to the heat that it tends to be done before the cheese gets any colour

StarkingBarfish fucked around with this message at 15:02 on Apr 6, 2022

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Tandoori chicken pie is a good rear end pie but drat if dressing it wasn’t a colossal pain in the rear end

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
I would happily pay you Tuesday for that pizza today

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

Tandoori chicken pie is a good rear end pie but drat if dressing it wasn’t a colossal pain in the rear end

There's a cheap NY style spot by my house that does chicken & paneer tandoori slices and they're really good for $5

HolHorsejob
Mar 14, 2020

Portrait of Cheems II of Spain by Jabona Neftman, olo pint on fird

Jerry Manderbilt posted:

holy poo poo that looks amazing. Is that cast iron baked? Do you start from a cold cast iron?

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

i used a detroit-style pan; in terms of prep i buttered it up and wiped it down before coating it with olive oil, and then i put in my dough (fermented 2 hours), spread it to the edges of the pan, and let it rest for 30 min before putting on the sauce and toppings

don't forget to wipe off all the oil after the pizza's out, etc etc

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Did another family party tonight. Six 14" pizzas, which is my biggest bake yet. It was cool but I don't think I'll be doing that much again anytime soon.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Steel users, how often do you need to scour and re-season? I've had mine for less than 2 months and it looks like rust spots are already developing.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
The only time I had to reseason was when my dad ran an oven clean cycle with the steel in the oven.

fake edit: Sounds to me like the initial seasoning wasn't great, at least in spots. Maybe run it through an oven clean cycle and redo.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

How often do you clean yours? I scrub with warm water (no soap) and towel dry after each use. Maybe that's too much?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

bees x1000 posted:

How often do you clean yours? I scrub with warm water (no soap) and towel dry after each use. Maybe that's too much?

Pretty much never. It lives in the oven and I scrape it with a bench scraper before I use it. I figure at 550f ain't nothing gonna live on there that can make me sick.

also, towel drying may be your problem. If I did hand wash my steel, I would put it back in a hot oven and let the heat get out every bit of water.

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Makes sense. I'll reseason and do things differently in the future.

Edit: starting to wonder about the instructions for this steel. They're telling me to use flaxseed oil for seasoning because it has a high smoke point. Which is, uh, not true.

bees x1000 fucked around with this message at 17:54 on Apr 11, 2022

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Remember: no matter where you go, there you are.
My parents are visiting so we made pan pizzas at home, it’s good to see them and feed them.

Detroit Pepp, Detroit gyro, Sicilian cheese

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

drat i'm interested in the gyro pie

that reminds me like a decade ago when i was in frankfurt, i had a really bomb-rear end doner pizza and i want to recreate that on a detroit pan

e: googling around it seems to just be literally a cheese pie with kebab and garlic yogurt sauce slapped on

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Apr 13, 2022

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum
Couple of Pizzas from the weekend:

Tuna, capers, onions:

Chorizo and fennel sausage:

Bonus foccacia with the leftover dough:

Still trying to navigate between burning the crust and getting no colour on the mozz. One issue is the type of Mozz available to me. It varies in how watery it is internally and draining it is hard to dial in right. Foccacia came out great though.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

StarkingBarfish posted:

Couple of Pizzas from the weekend:

Tuna, capers, onions:

Chorizo and fennel sausage:

Bonus foccacia with the leftover dough:

Still trying to navigate between burning the crust and getting no colour on the mozz. One issue is the type of Mozz available to me. It varies in how watery it is internally and draining it is hard to dial in right. Foccacia came out great though.

That focaccia looks fire. Pizzas looking tasty too, though I’m not sure I can hang with tuna and capers personally, hahaha.

I’ve had good experience mixing fontina and mozz to get good coloring and a little funk!

StarkingBarfish
Jun 25, 2006

Novus Ordo Seclorum

ogopogo posted:

I’ve had good experience mixing fontina and mozz to get good coloring and a little funk!

Ooh that's a good idea. On my margheritas I don't have a problem since I'm usually dusting some parmesan on there and it colours nicely. Maybe I'll mix cheeses on my other ones too

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Finally getting the hang of Detroit style, this was my best one yet.

Ishamael
Feb 18, 2004

You don't have to love me, but you will respect me.

ogopogo posted:

That cheese edge looks heavenly.

Gwaihir
Dec 8, 2009
Hair Elf
Jesus Christ. I'm gonna have to drag my rear end across the country to Vegas because holy poo poo that's so good looking.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
Any tips for the detroit pizza? Looks amazing

Stefan Prodan fucked around with this message at 00:44 on May 4, 2022

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

ogopogo posted:

that looks wonderful

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Any tips for the detroit pizza? Looks amazing

Thanks y’all, I’ve been trying to dial in hydration and method for the pan pies. This was 82% hydration using two types of flour, tipo uno and nuvola super. I buttered the Detroit pan, and dimpled the dough ball till it filled the pan, after which I put it in the fridge to rest for 2 days. Day 3 it came out and room temp proofed for 8 hours, at which point I parbaked the dough. Let it cool completely then wrapped it in plastic wrap and into the freezer.
Next day remove the dough from the freezer and let it thaw a little. Place in Detroit pan, and fill edges and top with brick cheese and some sauce! The final product was really nice, very light and airy dough, not heavy at all. Satisfying crunch from the bottom and cheese edges.

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

I deeply respect you as a human being... Some day I'm gonna make you *Mrs* Buck Turgidson!

Grimey Drawer
So for your restaurant would you parbake a bunch and just have them on hand?

Democratic Pirate
Feb 17, 2010

Looks amazing, and way lighter than the Detroit pizza chain I frequent. I could still go do things after eating yours.

It’s a cruel world that good pizza dough takes so long to ferment and yet gets eaten so quickly.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

So for your restaurant would you parbake a bunch and just have them on hand?

That’s the idea when we get to running these, at the space we’re in now it’s just not feasible for anything but our woodfired pizzas. There’s a place here in Vegas that’s developed a pretty awesome method for parbakes, and it involves a long pan proof time and freezing the cooked shell. With a week or two of run up time, you can stock a freezer case full of parbake shells ready to rock, and they’ll last for a few months.
Groundbreaking for our brick and mortar space is end of the month, then a summer of build out - itching to get into our own spot and really turn up the pizza game.

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006
Alright made a pepperoni one that turned out fire

bees x1000
Jun 11, 2020

Yeah that looks pretty good.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
yessssssssssssss

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

What the gently caress!

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

ogopogo posted:

Flawless victory

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

That pizza fucks

also I would gently caress that pizza

GramCracker
Oct 8, 2005

beauty by stroll
Holy poo poo that pie. And also, this:

LifeSunDeath posted:

That pizza fucks

also I would gently caress that pizza

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

ogopogo posted:

That’s some real aspirational poo poo right there. Like a Countach poster, but pizza.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

MrYenko posted:

Like a Countach poster, but pizza.

thread title lol

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Can I get a little more detail on the parbake and the final bake as far as time/temp? I wanna try that out too, sounds cool to just have crusts on hand ready to go

ogopogo
Jul 16, 2006

Stefan Prodan posted:

Can I get a little more detail on the parbake and the final bake as far as time/temp? I wanna try that out too, sounds cool to just have crusts on hand ready to go

I’m heading off on our first vacation in a couple years with my wife, but will get back to this later this week with a full write up!

Meanwhile, enjoy the Mother Lode pizza we made on Sunday…

Pepp, sausage, caramelized onions, gold leaf

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stefan Prodan
Jan 7, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I mean I'm enjoying the pics, I'm sure I'd be enjoying it more if it were in my mouth which I will definitely do if I am ever in Vegas