Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Mods have gotten pretty cool, last time I messed around with them Job was the only "complete" character with a tainted version and a post-it and unlockables etc but now there are several. I've been playing Andromena lately who's neat, you get a sort-of-reroll pocket item that lets you turn a treasure room you've entered but not picked up the item in into a "abandoned planetarium" which has some loot and a chance of an item but most crucially increases your Planetarium chance as if you never entered in the first place. Picking up several Zodiac/Planetarium items grants her a strong unique transformation, and if you get all of her completion marks the transformation becomes available to all other characters as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
I just played Tainted Eve for the first time. A couple of floors of confusion then got book of revelations and a sacrificial altar. That gave me an empty vessel so I could fly. Getting sacred heart was what made me sure I'd beat megasatan and then the portal arrived and Delirium died too! If only I'd found an r key I could have got a couple more marks done.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

Sad Panda posted:

I just played Tainted Eve for the first time. A couple of floors of confusion then got book of revelations and a sacrificial altar. That gave me an empty vessel so I could fly. Getting sacred heart was what made me sure I'd beat megasatan and then the portal arrived and Delirium died too! If only I'd found an r key I could have got a couple more marks done.

I love those runs where you do like 8 checkmarks at once.

I think in theory you can do every single checkmark in one run by using question mark card to proc R key without burning the one-time use of R key. You just have to do The Beast last and hope that Mega Satan spawns a Delirium portal.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Yep. That's if you don't count Greedier, but yeah it's absolutely possible. Was easy to pull off with Tainted Cain before the nerfs, you just had to hope you won the coinflip on Mega Satan, as there's no getting out of the Beast fight, so she has to be saved for last.

Evil Kit
May 29, 2013

I'm viable ladies.

even better if you have Always Void mod, just have beaten Mega Stan already and not have to worry about the check mark so you can always go to Delirium.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Mega Satan not giving a guaranteed void portal is baffling and the fact that people haven't even been able to mod it in without messing something up makes me think Edmund couldn't change it at this point if he wanted to

Sad Panda
Sep 22, 2004

I'm a Sad Panda.
A second Tainted Eve run and even more broken. I got Edens Blessing last time. That made me start with quad shot. I also got haemolacria and another sacred heart. Who cares about 0.4 tears when you have 40 damage and about 20 clots. Went for Beast and they melted quickly. 4-5 shots per harbinger suggests about 400 a go. Until of course something stomps and kills 10 at once. But had plenty of reserve health to respawn some.

Sad Panda fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 9, 2022

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
I finally got rock bottom by getting boss rush with Jacob and Esau. I'm terrible for going real slow so I was purposefully smashing my way through, didn't get a single devil/angel deal. Had decent damage by the time I got to boss rush.

I beat it by the skin of my teeth. Half a heart left on BOTH characters haha I was so ready to rage quit again.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Cleared Ultra Hard! Holy poo poo what a miserable challenge that is.

It actually got harder since that last update because now all the bosses that have champ versions are guaranteed to be a champ.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

God, what a journey.

Rebirth was my personal GOTY when it came out. It was just so fun and a fantastic advancement from Flash era Isaac, both gameplay and technical wise. I saw some development videos of the flash files of Isaac and dear god it looked like the game... "code", was begging for death. :stare: (More specifically the flash files user interface with Isaac was just so overstuffed and inefficient from what I could see)

Then Afterbirth game out and. Well, it started taking the game in directions I didn't like. (Small boss rooms were a garbage idea and I'm glad Repentance got rid of them.) By the time I finished it, I wasn't really willing to go back to it like I did with Rebirth constantly due to a bunch of aspects of the game leaving a sour taste in my mouth.

And oh boy Afterbirth +'s launch was a shitshow. For a mod update, it sure didn't deliver on that promise at first because of how limited the tools were at launch. At least they improved later, though from what I understand, even by Repentance's time the modding API still has quite a few issues to deal with.

Gameplay wise holy poo poo several things about it pissed me off. The stoney statues were much worse when they couldn't get exhausted (They're just a minor annoyance now.) The enemy summoning portals exclusive to the Void used to be everywhere, including the basement! And before a later update nerfed them, they could infinitely spawn enemies. Had bad DPS? Enjoy certain rooms taking forever, or even outright dying in a room with too many portals. And some other really poo poo aspects. Did you know that Big Horn used to have boss armor for some bizarre reason? :psyduck: Oh and Treasure rooms that contained no items. Fun. I never even reached Delirium, but I saw just how much of a shitshow it was. (Still waiting on that Delirium rework.) All that pretty much made me swear off the game in disgust. I never touched Isaac again until Repentance came out. I do understand that the later booster pack updates did at least smooth out some of the warts of Afterbirth+, but I wasn't around for that personally myself.

But oh man, I'm so glad that Repentance made me love the game again. Despite some of its unfinished aspects at launch, it pretty much is Isaac 1.9 and I really enjoyed most of the journey to Dead God. Also good god Kilburn, don't burn yourself out.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

I've been with Isaac ever since the Wrath of the lambs update for Flash isaac and it has indeed been a trip.

Remember how the Lost didn't use to have the Holy mantle? boy I'm glad they changed that (until Repentance...)

If theres anything left about this game that needs to be done is to fix the freakin Delirium fight, I have no idea why one of the first things Edmund promised would be done for this DLC never materialized because the boss sucks cock. Greedier most also needs a complete overhaul because Ed's idea of harder is rooted in more tankier enemies and less chances to grab money to overcome them!

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
Haha I just fought delirium the first time in like 6 months. Died at about 10% health.

Lucky for me I had 9 lives!!!!!

So I proceeded to get telefragged about 7 more times. I think 2 of the times I just killed myself out of anguish

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011
Been here since base flash isaac. Lost not only didnt have holy mantle in release rebirth, he didnt have spectral tears, so the one safe strat of staying on top of rocks and shooting from them didnt work! Cool stuff!

E: edmunds idea of hard is the dumb poo poo people think of when they say nintendo hard as some kind of badge of honor lol

ArfJason fucked around with this message at 06:30 on Apr 15, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
big horn was the first boss I got in Afterbirth + and i got so mad at it I uninstalled the game for years and didnt play again until repentance lmao

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 15, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
edmund doesnt understand what a difficulty curve is or how to balance the game around it so all his changes were unfun bullshit like bosses that take forever to kill or nerfing useful items into the ground while littering the game with lovely enemies that arent fun to encounter

16-bit Butt-Head fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Apr 15, 2022

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Been here since Flash Isaac as well. Kinda funny how this one game meant to fail really took off.

Also yeah, the Lost flat out had no starting items. His only actual advantage was flight and free devil deals (which is much better than it sounds nowadays as you could snatch up all the devil items instead of just 1, and angel rooms were poo poo back then. And devil rooms were far more powerful than they were now.) Not to mention there was some cases where they had bullshit unavoidable damage. Not too many but hey, as long as they changed those later it would be fine. Then Afterbirth did anything but that and added in a lot more bullshit room layouts.

D4 was added in Afterbirth as a bandage fix to the fact that the Lost could get a bunch of literally worthless items to him to reroll those into hopefully something better. Unfortunately Afterbirth also gave Lost the Holy Mantle, which is done as giving him the item, so using the D4 would roll that away! You'd pretty much have to stumble into a build that is utter poo poo, but you happened to pick up a ton of items to consider using that dice. At least Spectral Tears was an inherent property. Thank god Repentance fixed it so that the Holy Mantle is an inherent passive and that he has a better active item.

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

16-bit Butt-Head posted:

edmund doesnt understand what a difficulty curve is or how to balance the game around it so all his changes were unfun bullshit like bosses that take forever to kill or nerfing useful items into the ground while littering the game with lovely enemies that arent fun to encounter

you can see the end of super meat boy where the cool fast short stages that mitigate some of their difficulty by making them brief become minute long gauntlets of iwbtg tier obstacle courses. dude just doesnt understand cheap difficulty is difficult but its not interesting nor fun, see ultra hard for something that misses the point of something being challenging. as much as i hate hot potato it is at least an interesting challenge

ArfJason
Sep 5, 2011

Araxxor posted:

Been here since Flash Isaac as well. Kinda funny how this one game meant to fail really took off.

Also yeah, the Lost flat out had no starting items. His only actual advantage was flight and free devil deals (which is much better than it sounds nowadays as you could snatch up all the devil items instead of just 1, and angel rooms were poo poo back then. And devil rooms were far more powerful than they were now.) Not to mention there was some cases where they had bullshit unavoidable damage. Not too many but hey, as long as they changed those later it would be fine. Then Afterbirth did anything but that and added in a lot more bullshit room layouts.

D4 was added in Afterbirth as a bandage fix to the fact that the Lost could get a bunch of literally worthless items to him to reroll those into hopefully something better. Unfortunately Afterbirth also gave Lost the Holy Mantle, which is done as giving him the item, so using the D4 would roll that away! You'd pretty much have to stumble into a build that is utter poo poo, but you happened to pick up a ton of items to consider using that dice. At least Spectral Tears was an inherent property. Thank god Repentance fixed it so that the Holy Mantle is an inherent passive and that he has a better active item.

i always thought d4 was like "are you willing to gamble your mantle away for a chance at getting a crazy build?", and the answer was unsurprisingly No every time.
Eternal D6 is a better idea but it slows down the lost and makes him more tedious imo

Psychedelicatessen
Feb 17, 2012

My friend showed me this game right after Rebirth came out, I bought it during the next steam sale and uuuuh

The Lost always had holy mantle as long as you checked the first item room and pressed R whenever it wasn't the Mantle. :shepicide: My favorite addition to Repentance is buffing almost every worthless/+1hp item in the game in some minor or major way. C-section, Twisted Pair and Revelation are great new items, but you don't see those every run.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
I'm sympathetic to some boss armor in general because if you want to play a good game you can just route to the chest, and the dark room is already another chest that ends up not adding much to the game.

Delirium is just a bad fight though I don't know how else to put it. I don't love hush but there's a sense of progression when he finally starts unloading the ultra laser and you can see what's supposed to be fun about the fight, delirium is literally just a bunch of random stuff without even the fun of mowing down mobs.

The main issue with isaac design is you end up playing the stuff you like the least over and over because post it notes are the entire endgame. I don't have a real solution except having all delirum fights drop babies instead of real items. Greed/greedier has its own issues but it gives you a way to feel good about playing your 15 favorite characters multiple times.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Apr 15, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
delirium would be less lovely if it didnt teleport on top of you and ruin your tainted lost run in the process it would still be a lovely fight but at least it wouldnt be complete rng anymore

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

In other news console players got the latest updates to Isaac with the Blue baby and Laz changes.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Ugh, had a Tainted Keeper run that would have annihilated Delirium, but C Section, Brimstone, Incubus, and Playdough was too much for the game to handle. After about 5 crashes at various points in the void, I died in a random room because several things randomly exploded on top of me. Had a Soul of the Keeper rune on me, I could have healed probably like 7 times in the Delirium fight!

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!
I just beat Hush. Thank God for shield tears.

Next Steam sale I'm getting Repentance. I hadn't played the game in years but it feels like Afterbirth doesn't have as much cheap bullshit as it did at launch. It annoyed me so much I hardly played Afterbirth when I first bought it.

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

LLCoolJD posted:

I just beat Hush. Thank God for shield tears.

Next Steam sale I'm getting Repentance. I hadn't played the game in years but it feels like Afterbirth doesn't have as much cheap bullshit as it did at launch. It annoyed me so much I hardly played Afterbirth when I first bought it.

Oh my god why are you torturing yourself with afterbirth
DM me your steam I’d and I’ll just buy you repentance

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Is Afterbirth considered that bad, or is Repentance considered that good?

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
the game does not feel complete any more without the really good last expansion

Mons Hubris
Aug 29, 2004

fanci flup :)

Repentance added a huge amount of stuff, and Afterbirth is bad, yes

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

Afterbirth and especially Afterbirth+ soured my experiences with Isaac. Repentance added a lot more while also fixing the bad ideas those 2 expansions introduced. Mostly.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Is Afterbirth considered that bad, or is Repentance considered that good?

both

repentance's antibirth content is very good, its brand new stuff is maybe even better, and more importantly, every change made in afterbirth and afterbirth+ was carefully examined by the repentance devs to discern which parts to keep and which to revert back to a more rebirth-like state. repentance took a very long time to come out because a substantial amount of work had to be done to bring AB/AB+ content to parity with rebirth/antibirth content, but they did manage to do it

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

For example: Small boss rooms? Gone. That's no longer a mechanic. Though normal rooms with bosses in them can still end up being small rooms, though that's reserved for the endgame levels thankfully.

Afterbirth+ introduced enemy spawning portals, which looked really out of place thematically and just slowed down the pacing of the game because if your DPS sucked, you'd be overwhelmed. (It was worse at launch when there was no cap on how many enemies they could summon. :shepface:) These would spawn in the basement. And pretty much every part of the game. Repentance shunted those off to a much more thematic location, which is literally one of the final levels of the game, so those no longer plague your normal playthroughs.

EDIT: What the gently caress, Sisters Vis used to have 800 HP each!? (A chapter 3 boss by the way)

quote:

A possible encounter in Greedier Mode may spawn up to 8 Sisters Vis.

:stare: Christ what the hell was Afterbirth+? :psyduck:

I'd recommend skipping straight to Repentance by the way, AB+ has a poo poo ton of warts. A good portion were smoothed out over time, though Repentance cleared out most of them. Like there's a bunch of jokes about how pretty much the only thing it's good for now is to enable Repentance to be installed.

EDIT 2: According to recent Steam reviews, apparently at some point Nicalis broke AB+, and chances are it'll just crash the game on startup without Repentance installed. :psyduck:

Araxxor fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Apr 17, 2022

16-bit Butt-Head
Dec 25, 2014
afterbirth is a mario maker 2 level made by an 8 year old

ButterSkeleton
Jan 19, 2020

SIZE=XX-LARGE]PLEASE! PLEASE STOP SAYING THE R WORD. GOD, IF SOMEBODY SAID THE R WORD, I WILL HECKIN LOSE IT. JUST PEE PEE MY JORTS. CAN'T YOU JUST CALL THEM A SMOOTHE BRAINED DOTARD LIKE THE REST OF US NORMAL PEOPLE? DERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

P.S. FREE LARRY YOU FUCKIN COWARDS.
I thought AB wasnt nearly as bad as AB+. but Repentance is miles ahead of both of them.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

afterbirth+ basically just made the game worse in every way until the booster updates (somewhat) salvaged it

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Araxxor posted:

EDIT: What the gently caress, Sisters Vis used to have 800 HP each!? (A chapter 3 boss by the way)

Good ol' Ed and Nicalis idea of hard but fair is tedium.

The Fattest PI
Mar 4, 2008
One of the biggest draws for me with repentance is they took another pass through all the tear effects and added synergies. It's way less likely you completely gently caress up your good amazing run by taking an item that'll just overwrite every tear effect you have

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k

No Wave posted:

delirium is literally just a bunch of random stuff without even the fun of mowing down mobs.

I don't know, I mowed him down pretty recently:
https://twitter.com/RedMinjo/status/1514867718117199874

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

How is Greed Mode with the most recent patch's balance change to the first few floors?

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Red Minjo posted:

I don't know, I mowed him down pretty recently:
https://twitter.com/RedMinjo/status/1514867718117199874

My ears :cry:

Edit: I loving love Ludovico + brimstone.

LLCoolJD fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Apr 17, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

I actually really liked Afterbirth+ after the booster packs. Repentance is definitely better, but I miss all the gamebreaking stuff you could do. I will not miss the portals everywhere.

Nyoro posted:

How is Greed Mode with the most recent patch's balance change to the first few floors?

I just started playing since the first time since around Repentance launch and Greedier seems fairly easy now. The first floor or two was always the hardest part, so it's a lot easier to get rolling now.

Also, having finished off Tainted Lazarus's post-it I feel qualified to say: even after his buffs Tainted Lazarus sucks poo poo. He's 300% more effort than a typical character with the reward of getting to play two characters at around 66% power. He's so slow and fiddly the only way I as able to get boss rush was by start scumming until I found a curse room that sent me to a brimstone devil deal.

The Moon Monster fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 19, 2022