Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.

Antigravitas posted:

I think it's unrealistic to expect it to be less confusing than the EU legal system.

I struggle with it as well. It feels like it was created by/for people deep in the system. There's a search that by default sorts chronologically: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/oj/direct-access.html

However, that search spits out diffs. If you want the full version as applicable at a specific moment in time you have to search for the collection "Consolidated texts" for the text that is being modified.

So this is the sanctions on Russian individuals and proxies in its full form, but it's not at the last version yet: https://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/?uri=CELEX%3A02014R0269-20220315

I find that browsing the output of everything can be tremendously interesting just by the sheer volume of things being dealt with that you never hear about, but it also risks giving me an equally tremendous headache…

Thanks, I was familiar with the consolidation element, but was consistently frustrated because the consolidated version of some texts I've worked with...aren't consolidated, meaning I would have to go through individual edits to try to find a source for a definition (which sometimes, so far, seems to just not be there).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nutri_void
Apr 18, 2015

I shall devour your soul.
Grimey Drawer

Discendo Vox posted:

Thanks, I was familiar with the consolidation element, but was consistently frustrated because the consolidated version of some texts I've worked with...aren't consolidated, meaning I would have to go through individual edits to try to find a source for a definition (which sometimes, so far, seems to just not be there).

You just need to be aware that it sometimes takes them a while to consolidate the texts.

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Atreiden posted:

Wouldn't the sanctions have to be a lot harder and/or go on for a lot longer for anything like this to happen? My impression is that while the hit to the Russian economy will be hard this year, it's not so bad that the regime can't handle it. As long as Putin can pay of his security services any dissent will be crushed. Obviously a lot can still change, when more Russian atrocities comes to light I expect we will see more sanctions, but a lot still depends on how long this war last.
While I assume we will see protests if living standards drop to far/ if we start to see mass layoffs , Russia lacks a credible opposition to take advantage of this and institute a regime change.
As things are now I expect we'll see a steady increase in repression but that Putin will stay in power, unless something drastically changes even if this war drags out.

They can definitely live with sanctions, but there are a couple of doomsday clocks ticking. Russia is no longer capable of 1) maintaining aviation, 2) building or importing modern electronics, 3) building or repairing oil refineries, 4) developing new gas fields. “Incapable” is not to be taken literally here, but those areas were all spearheaded by foreigners. On top of that, there’s also bunch of other poo poo rapidly falling apart, like domestic car manufacturing or IT industries.

How are they going to handle that is anyone’s guess.

Discendo Vox posted:

Going a bit back, but I consistently struggle to navigate the EU legal site system; is there a good how-to anywhere?

What are you trying to achieve in it?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

cinci zoo sniper posted:

:siren: Don’t post any articles about the video that contain further hyperlinks to other sources, or references to specific media. No one is going to check what is linked there or why, you’ll just get a VIP posting vacation. :siren:

I’ll requote for the fresh page.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Discendo Vox posted:

I was in charge of trying to maintain export controls in my previous job for a while. US treasury at least had the decency to create a search engine where you input the name of company or individual and immediately see if they are on any sanctions lists. EU has nothing of the sort, its a mess of pdf directives and amendments and amendments to amendments. Eventually I gave up on EU and figured if US sanctions someone EU probably does too and rolled with that.

Despera
Jun 6, 2011

Ola posted:

Say what you want about Soviet communism, but it was brimming with intellectuals, however misguided. All sorts of theories on how to make a better society, better industry, living standards etc. Obviously by coercion of both people and nature, but at least it was an ethos. Putinists are nihilists. There is no talk of a better society, just destruction.

Trying to make life better? Excuse me but life is already perfect under *insert dictator here*. Off to the gulag with you.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

RottenK posted:

i shouldn't have read that article, its just text but it's still loving awful

at least that guy will probably not be alive for much longer

It’s is extremely bad. Knowing they are doing this is important, but goddamn I never want to read something like that. Honestly I’m shocked Russia isn’t defending him and giving him a medal and saying the video is fake.

That said I did read a report of a woman who was raped and the towns people complained to the local Russian commander and they basically said they’re going to execute him, take them out of the woods and bury him, and just report him as a KIA.

I don’t know if that’s out of legit disgust or trying to manage the population. I’d like to think it was the former, but I’m not optimistic about any Russian behavior.

ummel
Jun 17, 2002

<3 Lowtax

Fun Shoe
Have a bojo and Zelenskyy walkabout

https://twitter.com/DefenceU/status/1512867082932793347

https://twitter.com/zaborona_media/status/1512896454855114754

ummel fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Apr 9, 2022

Bug Squash
Mar 18, 2009

Marshal Prolapse posted:

It’s is extremely bad. Knowing they are doing this is important, but goddamn I never want to read something like that. Honestly I’m shocked Russia isn’t defending him and giving him a medal and saying the video is fake.

That said I did read a report of a woman who was raped and the towns people complained to the local Russian commander and they basically said they’re going to execute him, take them out of the woods and bury him, and just report him as a KIA.

I don’t know if that’s out of legit disgust or trying to manage the population. I’d like to think it was the former, but I’m not optimistic about any Russian behavior.

The Russian army is a land of contrasts, basically. You still get people who genuinely believe in the mission and decency, and bitterly resent serving with rapists. There are plenty of stories of a scout trying to warn locals that a particularly notorious unit is moving in. If something is reported, it's going to come down to a crapshoot as to whether the local commander laughs and shoots you, or the rapist.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I know I’m going to get slagged for saying this (and I know about the Tories and Londongrad), but for this crisis I’ve been very happy with the UK and Boris have been supporting Ukraine. Maybe it’s all just cynical, but until then, consider me happy.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Yeah, fair's fair. Well done Boris.

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit

Bug Squash posted:

The Russian army is a land of contrasts, basically. You still get people who genuinely believe in the mission and decency, and bitterly resent serving with rapists. There are plenty of stories of a scout trying to warn locals that a particularly notorious unit is moving in. If something is reported, it's going to come down to a crapshoot as to whether the local commander laughs and shoots you, or the rapist.

So the russian army is the imperial guard?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Marshal Prolapse posted:

I know I’m going to get slagged for saying this (and I know about the Tories and Londongrad), but for this crisis I’ve been very happy with the UK and Boris have been supporting Ukraine. Maybe it’s all just cynical, but until then, consider me happy.

Same with PiS. The loving suck but at least they're clearly doing the right thing here.

GlassElephant
Oct 25, 2009

Schwere Panzerabteilung 502
Discovered they were Glass Elephants, 27 APR 45
I found the livejournal of someone organizing supplies for separatists units in the DPR, and some of recent posts have been pretty grim in regards to the casualties they are taking, and the quality of their equipment and leadership.

from https://kenigtiger.livejournal.com/2133315.html, posted April 4th.

quote:

Because...
such a phenomenon as "discussing the details of the storming of Mariupol by those who are not involved in it" is becoming a very common form of leisure for Internet warriors in all corners of the Internet, and it would take me too long to reach every such corner, I want to pass on to you, my dear long-time undisputed winners of the Khokhuls in virtual battles, some details of what is happening as described by the man who was involved in the storm and is now with further wounds recovering from illnesses.

This post by Khodakovsky in TG gives some idea of what is going on:

We entered the area when the Ninth Regiment broke our way. The regiment's first battalion had reached the Mariupol line and ran out - we were the next to go. The remnants of the backbone of the first battalion were still fighting along the outskirts, but as of today we could say they were out too. These heroic fellows were commanded by a humble deputy commander, a former miner, with the call sign Groz. Now there remained, mostly, the mobilized reservists...

The man who shared with me the realities of this assault fought in another area, not in the 9th Regiment, but there too the battalions were "worn down" to incomplete companies still in the outskirts. I am not sure that military correspondent Sladkov will ever be ashamed of the way he told me that "few troops are good", that "it is not by numbers but by skills", that "it is not at all like Grozny" and the other nonsense he spouted in his telegraph. Neither is there any shame in all the other bastards who diligently cover those creatures who on paper have been doing fine all these years, but when they go to war they are just stupidly hounding people to slaughter, just to keep their jobs and their general's shoulder straps. Just like in the story with Shurygin and Debalia seven years ago. There is no shame there. Either it is originally structurally absent, or it has been dismantled for lack of use.

The episode comes from the fact that the company with which he was fighting, which had been "reduced" to less than a platoon, is being turned back into a very reinforced company, which is being diluted with reservists. И... They divide them into several groups, so that each group consists of five experienced fighters and several dozens of reservists. And they throw these groups along several streets ahead, to "clean up" the private sector.

This remarkable organizational decision dilutes the combat-ready core, and the more or less experienced fighters have to watch over the totally disoriented and inexperienced reserves rather than accomplish a combat mission. It is true that having at least some experienced people in a group, leads to the fact that it does not die right away - having advanced along the street, people lie down on the sides, waiting until a way forward is found by yards. Because it is already scientifically, by blood scientists, that one must go by yards. Since these are no longer the poorest suburbs, it is difficult to walk in private yards. They are no longer squishy fences made of chain-link or chain-link fence, but of sheet metal on sturdy posts and the like. Of course, people to make the passages are not equipped in any way, so that the process is delayed. At this point, a counter-attacking opponent appears on the scene.

As far as I understand, none of the planners of the operation somehow thought about the fact that Mariupol is not just any city, but the largest logistical hub of the southern wing of the AFU grouping in Donbas, and even if the ring is closed around it very quickly, there will be enough fuel and ammunition supplies for a long defense, plus there will also be enough combat-ready Ukrainian military equipment, which the surrounded forces use wisely and as effectively as possible.

Well, this equipment is still there, both tanks, armored personnel carriers and BMPs, rolled out at direct fire, and self-propelled guns, which the enemy is skillfully hiding in the industrial zone. They roll out, fire off the closed firing positions at the coordinates given by the artillery reconnaissance, and hide back in.

In this case, which the man described to me, their advancing groups were counterattacked by the Ukrainian Marines supported by a couple of BTR-4s with 30 mm automatic guns, which with their fire from a distance of several hundred meters pinned the fighters to the ground. Do I have to answer the silly question "Where was the equipment on our side? There was. We had some when the company was a company, but by this time there wasn't any left.

Did the group have antitank weapons that could hit an APC? Technically it was. In reality, the reservists assigned as "grenade launcher" almost never saw his RPG-7, so the soldiers were helpless against the Ukrainian APC's 30 mm automatic gun. And the Ukrainian Armed Forces would have simply run them over. Thanks to volunteers, in particular Eugene "Prapor" Skripnik, the guys had at least some portable radios. The officer had a map, he knew how to use it, and he was able to call artillery fire on the intersection where the insurgents had rolled out. Under cover of artillery fire he managed to retreat. There were rumors that one APC was even shot down.

In general, reality sends warm greetings to all those who laughed at the Ukrainian military exercises with wooden assault rifles. Reservists on our side go into combat, and not just combat, but urban assault without a period of "wooden assault rifles" at all, without full-fledged training. And the situation differs from the "conscripts in Grozny" only in the fact that the "conscript" this time may be a 50-year old man, for whom all this physical training is a prohibitive load that he cannot bear.

Translated with https://www.deepl.com/Translator (free version)

Vivian Darkbloom
Jul 14, 2004

This is the defense briefing linked earlier: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2994883/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Anyone know why it's credited to "senior defense official" instead of some specific general? If the meeting is supposed to be off the record, putting a transcript on the DoD website is a pretty bad way to keep it a secret.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Global Britain will explain to Ukraine how bad EU really is.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

This is the defense briefing linked earlier: https://www.defense.gov/News/Transcripts/Transcript/Article/2994883/senior-defense-official-holds-a-background-briefing/

Anyone know why it's credited to "senior defense official" instead of some specific general? If the meeting is supposed to be off the record, putting a transcript on the DoD website is a pretty bad way to keep it a secret.

Actually yes. There meant to reflect the department as a whole and not as an individual (say like if it was John Kirby or Lloyd Austin). It was explained in one the Cold War thread in TFR iirc. It used to confuse the hell out of me too.

TheFluff
Dec 13, 2006

FRIENDS, LISTEN TO ME
I AM A SEAGULL
OF WEALTH AND TASTE

Vivian Darkbloom posted:

It's not off the record, it's a public press briefing. I don't know why exactly the official (who is probably a civilian, by the way) is kept anonymous, but I've seen it claimed that it's because the briefing is supposed to be the official Pentagon take and not one of a specific analyst. Their identity isn't exactly secret either, I've seen some good guesses based on OSINT and specific details mentioned in the briefings.

e: added link

TheFluff fucked around with this message at 22:38 on Apr 9, 2022

Deltasquid
Apr 10, 2013

awww...
you guys made me ink!

THUNDERDOME

Sekenr posted:

I was in charge of trying to maintain export controls in my previous job for a while. US treasury at least had the decency to create a search engine where you input the name of company or individual and immediately see if they are on any sanctions lists. EU has nothing of the sort, its a mess of pdf directives and amendments and amendments to amendments. Eventually I gave up on EU and figured if US sanctions someone EU probably does too and rolled with that.

Somewhere in my firm, a sanctions lawyer is having a fit

I can give some pointers to the eurlex site tomorrow if anybody is interested. Just let me know what you’re looking for / trying to achieve

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Marshal Prolapse posted:

Nah, I can't even give them that. The Tories' utterly psychotic and cruel immigration regime means they're doing everything possible to deny refugee status to Ukrainians (and anyone else, admittedly), and Johnson is both desperate to get a Churchill moment where he looks like a Serious Statesman of a Powerful Nation rather than a vacillating loving clown, and also to distract from Partygate, which is like Al Capone being brought down by tax fraud only even more stupid and contemptuous of the law. Yes, their support for Ukraine is good, but it has the most cynical motives behind it. (Remember that the laws currently being pushed to criminalise protest would probably have Putin nodding in approval.)

Nelson Mandingo
Mar 27, 2005

GaussianCopula posted:

I wonder how much of the vaunted cyber-capabilities of Russia are actually smoke and mirrors like their armed forces, given how little impact they are making in the current war.

The West assumed that they were not doing all they could all these years and extrapolated from that what an unrestrainted/warfooting Russia could do. But what if it's all they can do? A few DDoS attacks, a bit of spear-phishing and defacement of websites doesn't really have that much of an impact in the grand scheme of things.

From what it is speculated, the cyber-capabilities of previous russian meddling seem to be from a criminal element paid to do it. Not actually a state apparatus. And either they're not getting paid or they sympathize with Ukraine it seems.

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:
Since I can't sleep I'd just like to plug some more Arte documentaries. Subtitled, since Arte is a French/German project.

Ukraine: The Ones Who Stayed
Their days and nights are filled by the sound of bombardment. They would have liked to flee, but they are too old, too sick or destitute to leave their homes. But some brave volunteers are helping them escape the danger.

Syria and Ukraine: The Same Fight?
In the Idlib region, the last enclave still held by the opposition to Bashar Al Assad, many Syrians are following the situation in Ukraine with concern: they know that the future of their country also depends on the outcome of this war in Europe. After 11 years of war in Syria, which has cost the lives of at least 500,000 people, they still dream of freedom and democracy.

And also, Arte airs a geopolitics series, which is usually quite well done:
Putin and Ukraine: What Next?
Understanding geopolitics has never been more urgent. Mapping the World analyses Putin's unprecedented attack on Ukraine with a short history of relations between Russia and Ukraine. Political scientist Anna Colin Lebedev and the head of the French Institute for International Relations (IFRI), Thomas Gomart provide context.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
So this talk of the May 9th deadline for victory made me think. They timed the whole invasion around immediately celebrating it with a huge parade, didn't they? They could've chosen any time to do it but chose when their massive armored columns will have to drive down narrow country roads.

Barrel Cactaur
Oct 6, 2021

GaussianCopula posted:

I wonder how much of the vaunted cyber-capabilities of Russia are actually smoke and mirrors like their armed forces, given how little impact they are making in the current war.

The West assumed that they were not doing all they could all these years and extrapolated from that what an unrestrainted/warfooting Russia could do. But what if it's all they can do? A few DDoS attacks, a bit of spear-phishing and defacement of websites doesn't really have that much of an impact in the grand scheme of things.

Russian state backed hacking is an industry. State backed groups are allowed to operate freely against non Russian targets for personal gain in exchange for various kickbacks, assistance, and passing on exploits and data to the Russian state. Actual Russian cyber-war units are only a little bit bigger than most other nations.

This is why a lot of malware does weird poo poo like check for Cyrillic language packs or disables itself if your on a Russian IP.

Major downside is that most of these groups funded themselves via international fraud and extortion schemes that are now dried up thanks the the banking and crypto freezes. Most of them likely substantially changed operations or jumped ship when the decent pay dried up. There was never any reason outside paranoid "sleeping bear" think to believe that they were just holding a million keyboard warriors in reserve.

And exploits expire. You cant reliably pocket them because other people are constantly looking and it only takes some loser using the equivalent of a tactical nuke to cheat at minecraft or what ever other trivial thing to wreck your ace in the hole

Barrel Cactaur fucked around with this message at 00:17 on Apr 10, 2022

gay picnic defence
Oct 5, 2009

I'M CONCERNED ABOUT A NUMBER OF THINGS

mobby_6kl posted:

So this talk of the May 9th deadline for victory made me think. They timed the whole invasion around immediately celebrating it with a huge parade, didn't they? They could've chosen any time to do it but chose when their massive armored columns will have to drive down narrow country roads.

No, the original plan was to be done in with days or less. I’m sure there would have been some references to the victory in Ukraine in the May 9th parade but that was 2 1/2 months away from the start and expected finish of the invasion.

I think the issue now is that they need it sorted by May 9th or they won’t have any spare tanks for the parade and it’s a bit hard to have a Victory Day when most of your active duty troops are getting killed in the neighbouring country you just invaded.

Wildeyes
Nov 3, 2011

Marshal Prolapse posted:

The shittiest people are those who can't ever acknowledge when someone they don't like did something good. It's okay to give credit where it's due.

Random Integer
Oct 7, 2010

Wildeyes posted:

The shittiest people are those who can't ever acknowledge when someone they don't like did something good. It's okay to give credit where it's due.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/831805955402776576?s=20&t=fMj4UjzMt8cr8vDYS-C-ww

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
https://twitter.com/Sputnik_Not/status/1512839384197906436?s=20&t=lScJOG1-qvfPVNV5w0Bu1Q

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

When the Untitled Goose decides he's had enough

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

mobby_6kl posted:

no. they are just looking for a possible exist date now and a "win this by then so i can dress like W and proclaim victory" day.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Russian state backed hacking is an industry. State backed groups are allowed to operate freely against non Russian targets for personal gain in exchange for various kickbacks, assistance, and passing on exploits and data to the Russian state. Actual Russian cyber-war units are only a little bit bigger than most other nations.

This is why a lot of malware does weird poo poo like check for Cyrillic language packs or disables itself if your on a Russian IP.

Major downside is that most of these groups funded themselves via international fraud and extortion schemes that are now dried up thanks the the banking and crypto freezes. Most of them likely substantially changed operations or jumped ship when the decent pay dried up. There was never any reason outside paranoid "sleeping bear" think to believe that they were just holding a million keyboard warriors in reserve.

And exploits expire. You cant reliably pocket them because other people are constantly looking and it only takes some loser using the equivalent of a tactical nuke to cheat at minecraft or what ever other trivial thing to wreck your ace in the hole

Do you have any good articles on this to link to? Also, do any other countries use similar "cyber-privateers"?

Quorum
Sep 24, 2014

REMIND ME AGAIN HOW THE LITTLE HORSE-SHAPED ONES MOVE?

It is a beautiful day in Donetsk, and you are a horrible goose.

Herstory Begins Now
Aug 5, 2003
SOME REALLY TEDIOUS DUMB SHIT THAT SUCKS ASS TO READ ->>

man war is hell

even the geese are tatted up

MassiveSky
Apr 5, 2022

by Hand Knit
Homonazi geese.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Herstory Begins Now posted:

man war is hell

even the geese are tatted up

MassiveSky posted:

Homonazi geese.

https://twitter.com/daniellozynski/status/1512837694690369540

real picture just leaked.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Barrel Cactaur posted:

Yeah Russian version of "policing" their hackers has been "just don't start trouble at home."

Its so blatant, there was a counter-exploit where you can literally just install the Cyrillic virtual keyboard on Windows and that automatically blocked alot of their poo poo. Not sure if that still works though.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

DarklyDreaming posted:

When the Untitled Goose decides he's had enough

peace was never an option!
:honk:

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Article from the Guardian about small villages about 50 miles east of Kyiv that were occupied for a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/09/after-russians-retreat-scarred-ukrainian-village-recounts-month-of-terror

There are some interesting details in here.

• Confirmation by people who had Russian soldiers quartering in their house: they stole their washing machine. I know there was debate in this thread whether that Russian truck full of washing machines was part of army logistics or full of loot. I guess this answers that.
  • They say the soldiers were speaking to each other in a non-Slavic language. The villagers think they were Chechens.
  • One Russian in charge of prisoners apologized, but said that he had orders to produce four corpses and took some villagers away to execute.
  • Villagers say the soldiers mentioned US bioweapon labs that used Ukrainians as test subjects. Unclear if they genuinely believed it, but at the least that story is being used on the ground.

William Bear fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Apr 10, 2022

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

They're lucky Canada didn't ship their geese. Or maybe that would break a couple of Geneva Convention rules...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

William Bear posted:

Article from the Guardian about small villages about 50 miles east of Kyiv that were occupied for a month.

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2022/apr/09/after-russians-retreat-scarred-ukrainian-village-recounts-month-of-terror

There are some interesting details in here.

• Confirmation by people who had Russian soldiers quartering in their house: they stole their washing machine. I know there was debate in this thread whether that Russian truck full of washing machines was part of army logistics or full of loot. I guess this answers that.
  • They say the soldiers were speaking to each other in a non-Slavic language. The villagers think they were Chechens.
  • One Russian in charge of prisoners apologized, but said that he had orders to produce four corpses and took some villagers away to execute.
  • Villagers say the soldiers mentioned US bioweapon labs that used Ukrainians as test subjects. Unclear if they genuinely believed it, but at the least that story is being used on the ground.

Good news, my Ukrainian brothers, we are here to liberate you from your cruel Nazi overlords and their sadistic bioweapon experiments. Well, minus four of you.