Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
look at me making bad decisions, starting third playthroughs instead of doing anything else! :toot:

edit:

hell yeah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GHOST_BUTT
Nov 24, 2013

Fun Shoe

hazardousmouse posted:

if you gave his bell to the twin maidens, will it be updated with the ancient dragon stone afterwards?

No the inventory stays the same once you hand in the bell bearing

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.
How do level restrictions around assisting other people (randos, not friends) as a Furled Finger work?

I was enjoying helping people with Godrick but as of the last couple days I am not getting a single hit when I put my sign outside his boss room, right where I used to put it successfully before.

Did I level too high? I am currently level 57.

When I go to Raya Lucaria to help with the boss I get hits galore, almost no waiting.

Samopsa
Nov 9, 2009

Krijgt geen speciaal kerstdiner!

Strom Cuzewon posted:

I think it genuinely is time travel, not just sort of time travel. You can find the Drangleic Set in the present, on the corpse of Captain wossname, but without the helmet. This is because 40 hours later you go back in time to when he was alive and he gives you the helmet.

Yet more evidence that DS2 is the best one.

Yes, going into the memories in DS2 is truly timetraveling and not just a view into the past. Your actions in the memories are necessary for the current timeline to exist. That's why the Last Giant is loving pissed when he sees you, as you were the one who brought him down. That's confirmed by the item description:

quote:

Soul of the surviving giant, who was bound
below the Forest of the Giants.

The lord of the Giants, who had brought wrack
and ruin to the entire kingdom, was said to have
been felled by an unknown warrior
His beaten and broken remains were then dragged
beneath the stronghold, where he was sealed away.
— Description of the Soul of the Last Giant

and you can also see it because the Giant Lord / Last Giant look different from the other Giants or Giant corpses you encounter in the game, specifically their head/neck is more like a human, while Elite giants seem to have no neck and giant soldiers have their head growing straight from their torso:

Last Giant

Giant Lord (from the memory of Jeigh)

Elite Giant (from Black Gulch & all memories)

Giant Soldier (only seen in the non-boss memories)

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
oh lol, there's a moment in the intro movie after char creation that's straight up the moment Mohg kidnaps Miquella

Bananasaurus Rex
Mar 19, 2009

hazardousmouse posted:

oh lol, there's a moment in the intro movie after char creation that's straight up the moment Mohg kidnaps Miquella

Yeah and the person hammering switches between Marika and Radagon

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

lmao jesus christ, did they find an entirely new zip or something

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
I should've made a plan for this character other than "whips?" with many question marks

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

hazardousmouse posted:

I should've made a plan for this character other than "whips?" with many question marks

I’d like to make a bow character but I need to know how to make bows fun first.

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo
How is this thread still so active wtf

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

styls trill epic posted:

Game's huge dawg.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sup styls long time no see

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Vengarr posted:

greatbows + horse archery, don't use bows exclusively, but do whip them out any time you fight an enemy with wings

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

styls trill epic posted:

I'm 40 hours into the game and only have 2 great runes.

I'm avoiding spoilers and walkthroughs, trying to mostly figure it out on my own. Game might take me months at this rate.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

styls trill epic posted:

Souls theada are active 5+ years after release, this has been out for 6 weeks

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

No Dignity posted:

Souls theada are active 5+ years after release, this has been out for 6 weeks

I already returned it

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Vengarr posted:

Rain of Arrows ash'o'war. Get it from doing the painting in Sellia. It breaks the longbow. You can use it to proc status super easy, it does a bunch of damage to large enemies, and you can use it to cheese shots out from behind cover.

I haven't played with enchanted shot yet, but it sounds like it adds tracking onto shots with target lock.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
Sigh, I get an itch to try beating the Elden Beast again after weeks of having just given up, spend the last hour beating my head against a wall and change things up by getting the Wing of Astel.

Then I spend another half hour trying various tweaks with that until I get the right combination of items to boost my intelligence/magic enough.

Finally, I get just the right amount of time for the Beast to stay loving still enough to hit it and kill the loving thing.

Only for my wife to then burst into the room and insist i turn the game off because she wants to watch TV. Now I've got the game saved right before being able to finish it with like one button push.

This is the most aggravating thing to happen when playing the entire game.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

I'm 160 hours in and I'm only really making headway into Leyndell (the city, mind you) now :v:

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

For anybody doing dragon communism or am incant run, apparently pest threads absolutely shithouses Elden Beast like it does every other large enemy and also the tarnished. I plan on trying this out

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Surely she should be playing rhythm on the 12 string and soloing on the 6 string no?

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

greatbows + horse archery, don't use bows exclusively, but do whip them out any time you fight an enemy with wings

How do your horse arch?

Every time I've tried it my dude has just swung the bow around like a big club

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Also got the plat trophy today. Feels good man. What a great game

War Wizard
Jan 4, 2007

:)

Epic High Five posted:

For anybody doing dragon communism or am incant run, apparently pest threads absolutely shithouses Elden Beast like it does every other large enemy and also the tarnished. I plan on trying this out

Haven't you heard? Incantation is garbage and needs massive buffs to be viab:barf:

I tested it out with my faith leaning SoN&F build and it was okay. A good "can't miss" button but nothing special on the damage side. Presumably if those 14 points of int were still in faith it may be more useful. :shrug:

Avynte
Jun 30, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Samopsa posted:

Giant Soldier (only seen in the non-boss memories)

t-t-t-try....f-f-f-f-inger?

Frankston
Jul 27, 2010

The best boss in Elden Ring is the ghost boat man who does rad drifts and poo poo

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

styls trill epic posted:

I dunno this is like the best game in a generation dunno what to tell you

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Frankston posted:

The best boss in Elden Ring is the ghost boat man who does rad drifts and poo poo

He's trying his best, bless him.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I beat it at 165 hours. Pretty sure I did every quest/dungeon/boss though, which is good, since I'm not a new game + type of player.

Pretty sure I inadvertently stumbled on a ridiculously broken build. Was doing shield + colossal weapons for the entire game, always using the highest guard boost shield I could find. Ended up with the fingerprint shield + greatshield taislman, noticed I no longer consumed stamina to block. Ended up switching to greatspears so I could poke from behind my impenetrable wall.

Ended up destroying godskin duo without using a flash charge. Beat the boss gauntlet at the end with no issues also. Malenia took me a few tries, but since I could block her attacks, it just became about outpacing her in damage. The only boss that gave me trouble was Maliketh. Which was nice, because I actually missed engaging with the combat mechanics like I was doing in the first half of the game. Ended up never using or upgrading any of the ashes.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Why tf can you alter the Nox Swordstress armor and not the Night Maiden armor? They’re practically the same set

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
gently caress they patched the battle hammer out of early access in Limgrave. Why? It was a good mid-strength hammer to use.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Bananasaurus Rex posted:

Yeah and the person hammering switches between Marika and Radagon

It also makes the identity of Horah Loux really obvious, because he's posed with the lion just like the paintings of God***, First Elden Lord

You can also maybe piece together Marika being crucified on the Elden Ring shard from the Rune Fragments, the multiplayer icon, and the way she's posed in the intro.

The intro is like The Prestige, in that the first time through you don't notice all the extremely obvious clues that it is beating you around the face with.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Going into NG+, this game could really use a Demon Bell

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Strom Cuzewon posted:

The intro is like The Prestige, in that the first time through you don't notice all the extremely obvious clues that it is beating you around the face with.

Speaking of really obvious clues, in one of the first conversations you can have with Melina she tells you her mother is inside the Erdtree and that she is also bodiless which really clears up alot of the lore speculations right out of the gate. She's Marika's daughter and she also seems to have destroyed her original body to act outside of the control of the Two Fingers, also that she's already 'burnt', but not quite sure what that implies

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Sockser posted:

How do your horse arch?

Every time I've tried it my dude has just swung the bow around like a big club

has to be in your main hand i think

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

No Dignity posted:

Speaking of really obvious clues, in one of the first conversations you can have with Melina she tells you her mother is inside the Erdtree and that she is also bodiless which really clears up alot of the lore speculations right out of the gate. She's Marika's daughter and she also seems to have destroyed her original body to act outside of the control of the Two Fingers, also that she's already 'burnt', but not quite sure what that implies

when you finally find Ranni's corpse, it's burnt to a cinder

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

i think every Fromsoft DLC involves time travel, given how all their settings had wacky stuff happening in the distant past

Sekiro probably would have had it too, with how often it brought up Tomoe

Bloodborne's is only kinda time travel, you're going into a nightmare pocket dimension that contains snippets of the past but aren't actually going to the past, but, like, it's basically time travel so it still counts

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

No Dignity posted:

Clearly she's a lord of cinder

Phenotype
Jul 24, 2007

You must defeat Sheng Long to stand a chance.

If I look at the level up screen, the number for Right Hand goes up by 3 for Str and only 1 for Faith. Does that generally mean it's time to start pumping Strength instead of Faith for damage? I've got 52 Faith and only 23 Str, I didn't think the changeover would happen til I hit 60 Faith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheAnomaly
Feb 20, 2003

GloomMouse posted:

there's always a *best choice* and there's no crime in the best being very best. it's only a problem if the other choices are actual trash rather than less good. skeleton militia self raises for extended harassment, 5 goblins 2handing greatshields is exactly as annoying to enemies as they would be to you. Yes Mimic is really good but no one is forced to use it. Nice to have OP stuff if you want though

I actually prefer the banished knights to the Mimic Tear, but I'm playing a caster so I need something that can sit there and take several hits while I whale on the boss with spells.