Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Pat's gonna turn into an RV guy and out-dad Woolie's recent kite obsession.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Neo_Crimson posted:

Pat's gonna turn into an RV guy and out-dad Woolie's recent kite obsession.
I hope he loses some weight, yes. Imagine muscular pat :allears:

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Oh man I didn’t realize they didn’t tell anyone and that we’d be getting a live stream of Woolie’s works getting turned somewhat upside down. This is great! Pat just casually mentioning they got hitched way before him is super choice.

Big Scary Owl
Oct 1, 2014

by Fluffdaddy
OH MAN THE CHRONO CROSS REMASTER CAME OUT I CANT WAIT FOR PAT TO PLAY AND poo poo ON IT

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

I had to drive through the Allegheny mountains in PA during a blizzard on a roadtrip a few weeks ago in a Honda Fit and it was absolutely terrifying, so I got psychic damage of Pat's story of Paige driving an RV through the Rockies during one. That sounds like an absolute nightmare.

Tupperwarez
Apr 4, 2004

"phphphphphphpht"? this is what you're going with?

you sure?
Listening to Pat describing his literal Top Gear cross-country special and it's amazing, holy poo poo.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Footage of Paige driving the mountainside
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BSWR-0GkNCk

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

Warbird posted:

Oh man I didn’t realize they didn’t tell anyone and that we’d be getting a live stream of Woolie’s works getting turned somewhat upside down. This is great! Pat just casually mentioning they got hitched way before him is super choice.

There's a few people making GBS threads on them on twitter for this but also, who cares if some guy is upset.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I started watching the ff6 archive and boy it seems like it may have hit woolie a bit harder than expected to be blindsided by that live on camera, so I can see why the twitter mads are as such.

Well, that and having to stay up later to record and edit the podcast after pat's tempting fate and losing power immediately for hours

a_gelatinous_cube
Feb 13, 2005

If one of my friends just moved across country without telling me anything or saying goodbye I'd probably just be like, ok, well gently caress that guy I guess. But getting mad about stuff between 2 people you don't know if some psycho parasocial mindset stuff.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
unless they are challenging pat to pistols at dawn it's probably just people calling him out for doing a frankly dick move on his friend(and business partner) live on camera. the frequency that people throw out ~parasocial mindset~ is dumb

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

i thought they already lived in different cities tbh

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

Wait so what happened?

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Pat hosed off to the other side of the continent without telling anyone in advance. It’s hilarious but I can see how people could take it as a dick move. However:

a cartoon duck posted:

i thought they already lived in different cities tbh

This has more or less been true for a while now. I’m not sure they’ve even been in the same physical location since the pandemic started so this isn’t much of a change considering how well they do remote podcasts.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Pat's been saying he'd do exactly this for months.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

Pat's been saying he'd do exactly this for months.
IIRC Pat said he want to get out of Quebec awhile back.

Which is a bit different to moving the opposite end of the country without heads up. But I suppose at the end of the day almost any move that put him out of Montreal/Quebec would have been as dramatic with regards to ruling out future physical podcasts.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I can't believe Pat disappeared for 7 months without any warning

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:

soupy. posted:

Wait so what happened?

Pat and Paige moved to Vancouver without telling anybody (outside their own families) and people on twitter are treating this like a horrible slight against Woolie and not just a pretty funny joke.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Oxyclean posted:

IIRC Pat said he want to get out of Quebec awhile back.

Which is a bit different to moving the opposite end of the country without heads up. But I suppose at the end of the day almost any move that put him out of Montreal/Quebec would have been as dramatic with regards to ruling out future physical podcasts.

No, he's been specifically saying he'd disappear overnight and pop up next week going "so I moved across the country lmao". To Woolie, if not in public.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Praying for the strangers online in this trying time. Hopefully they can tweet through their feelings.

But also lmao what a move.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Dabir posted:

No, he's been specifically saying he'd disappear overnight and pop up next week going "so I moved across the country lmao". To Woolie, if not in public.

I guess I missed that. I mostly just remembered them wanting to get out of QC cause of rear end in a top hat locals.

To be clear, Im not bothered by this development.

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

I don't get all the controversy, canada isn't real

Clip-On Fedora
Feb 20, 2011

Well I for one have had it up to HERE with the evil crimes and unchecked villainy of The Former Best Friends

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

I don't know if people on Twitter that Play Video Games are just a different breed or what, but they've always seemed to have more mentally unhinged fans than any other normal fanbase of something would have. People say the wildest things in their replies and if I was them I wouldn't be able to deal with it nearly as well as they do. Just the absolute dumbest people in their mentions all day every day.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

soupy. posted:

I don't know if people on Twitter that Play Video Games are just a different breed or what, but they've always seemed to have more mentally unhinged fans than any other normal fanbase of something would have. People say the wildest things in their replies and if I was them I wouldn't be able to deal with it nearly as well as they do. Just the absolute dumbest people in their mentions all day every day.

I do feel like there's a new batch of Online poster that's very testy about any jokes friends make at each other's expense. I'm bad with people skills so I can't tell if this is them trying to start poo poo or they have phenomenally thin skin and one Deez Nuts joke pulled on them will hollow out their soul and remove all of their emotions for some reason.

RareAcumen fucked around with this message at 23:34 on Apr 8, 2022

beep by grandpa
May 5, 2004

The "ultimate bit" is actually all of these podcasts are prerecorded hypothetical conversations they had and only the ones that came true get posted and pat & woolie both died in a plane crash 3 years ago

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Everyone has crazy fans, you just see a lot more from Pat & Paige because they make an active effort to respond to these creeps.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

sirtommygunn posted:

Everyone has crazy fans, you just see a lot more from Pat & Paige because they make an active effort to respond to these creeps.

This.

Nowhere is safe.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

beep by grandpa posted:

I don't get all the controversy, canada isn't real

South Park made us real. :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDe-ntwzjGw

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
i skipped to until they started talking about elden ring because i don't care about the personal lives of content creators. i'll await the medal for my bravery now.

Depths
Apr 15, 2009

SENPAI

Incredible video

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Marin Karin posted:

i skipped to until they started talking about elden ring because i don't care about the personal lives of content creators. i'll await the medal for my bravery now.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vVoBJLUHjck

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

RareAcumen posted:

I do feel like there's a new batch of Online poster that's very testy about any jokes friends make at each other's expense. I'm bad with people skills so I can't tell if this is them trying to start poo poo or they have phenomenally thin skin and one Deez Nuts joke pulled on them will hollow out their soul and remove all of their emotions for some reason.

The parasocial relationship isn’t just with the people, but with the relationships between them. They’re attached not just to pat and woolie, but to their friendship

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Super true. I was vaguely bummed for a day or two when SBF broke up despite not being much of a fan outside of listening to the podcast. Parasocial stuff is super weird and uncomfortable to me but being susceptible to it is some base human thing imo. I don’t know or actually care about these people, but I’d still be bothered if/when the podcast stops.

Kelsing
Oct 24, 2010

Did you see that, Zach?
It's just an empathy thing, which isn't inherently bad; the issue is people over-empathizing with people that are total strangers and getting unhealthily attached to things that they logically don't have a stake in, such as a friendship between two online content creators.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Namtab posted:

The parasocial relationship isn’t just with the people, but with the relationships between them. They’re attached not just to pat and woolie, but to their friendship

I don't even mean just pat and woolie, I meant anyone in a group doing videos or streams regularly.

Warbird posted:

Super true. I was vaguely bummed for a day or two when SBF broke up despite not being much of a fan outside of listening to the podcast. Parasocial stuff is super weird and uncomfortable to me but being susceptible to it is some base human thing imo. I don’t know or actually care about these people, but I’d still be bothered if/when the podcast stops.

I mean I feel like that's normal. Nobody wants to be randomly scrolling through youtube or Netflix or Audible or whatever and find something to watch/listen to and then a month later find they posted a manifesto on how the world is flat and it's the Jews making it that way or something. I know I don't know any of these people personally, but I don't wanna be giving the time of day to someone who's a shithead beyond like, being kind of rude or something. I'd rather people be like Kamiya is on twitter IRL but still not abusive or running a scam or into NFTs than I would someone actually being like a Covid denialist or something.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

People have been bothered by band breakups and interested in celeb personal lives forever. This is the same, except now the lines of communication are too easy. We have to go back to cloistered show towns like Golden Age Hollywood you only understood via billboard, and if you wanted to be a creep, you'd have to put the hours in, not just tweet.

soupy.
Jun 2, 2019

I made the comment that basically said "pats fans are more unhinged than other communities". This is unnecessary, but I wanted to point out that I realized unhinged is a word that feels bad to say and isn't very descriptive anyways. I used to be on Twitter a fair amount years back, and it felt like every time I'd read Pat's replies there'd be someone who crossed the border of chill anger. It wasn't just "OMG YOU HATE THIS GAME I LIKE? I'M GOING INTO FLAMEWAR MODE". There were more often than I'd like to believe other communities have fans of that seemed to be on the verge of a genuine mental breakdown and it was because of something Pat said.

Someone who replied to me said it's because Pat baits the flamewar (expertly), and I didn't really think about that. I didn't think about the parasocial aspect either. The comments to the Pat tweets I'm thinking of don't have to do with their personal lives. I'm not on Twitter now so I have no idea what's going on in their tweets hahah, but yeah... that brings the interesting point of "yeah there's lovely people in all communities, but when the brand is tied to the people themselves (me in this thread asking if i could find an LP of Pat talking about wanting to be a toilet for 10+ hours with the game as background), then you'll have a different energy from your fans (good or bad) than someone who doesn't put themselves out there.

I have no closing statement to my absolutely ground-breaking realization on how the world of internet celebrities works lol. Maybe it will add something to the conversation though???

soupy. fucked around with this message at 03:59 on Apr 10, 2022

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Pat can do what he wants but I find it very strange that he kept the move secret from his own social group. Who really gives a poo poo if they didn't tell like, their stream viewers or something, but Paige and Pat didn't tell any of their friends and only really told their parents. You'd think they want to keep the people they actively hangs out with in the loop, but they thought it be funnier to just move.

They're both just weird people sometimes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warbird
May 23, 2012

Kelsing posted:

It's just an empathy thing, which isn't inherently bad; the issue is people over-empathizing with people that are total strangers and getting unhealthily attached to things that they logically don't have a stake in, such as a friendship between two online content creators.

You’re likely right. I have a hard time relating to people for a variety of reasons, a vast majority my own drat fault, so drawing the line on “good empathy” and “bad empathy” is tough for me. As a result getting a read on normal background levels of caring about something is hard at times. It’s something I’m working on but it’s a process. Anyway, a small chocolate frostee and a small order of fries, thanks.