Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Andy Bell’s album out today is really good. Plenty of shoegaze and psych-side-of-Britpop vibes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man

that sweatshirt tho

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
Anyone got any suggestions of bands similar to Hum. Finally got a copy of Inlet and I'm wanting more. I have their other albums already. Huge fan of the space rock vibe like Failure too.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

RestingB1tchFace posted:

Anyone got any suggestions of bands similar to Hum. Finally got a copy of Inlet and I'm wanting more. I have their other albums already. Huge fan of the space rock vibe like Failure too.

After Hum disbanded in 2000, Talbot formed Centaur. My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure it sounded like Hum. Big guitars and drums. If you like their sound, go check that out.

Assuming you're familiar with most of the stuff that gets linked in this thread. I rotted on that Teenage Wrist album Earth is a Black Hole for months after it was released. That might scratch the itch. Those first two Swervedriver records also don't disappoint.

You might check out the first two Secret Machines records? They have probably a deep kraut rock influence and will ape a riff for a bit, but they do go for big guitars.

Hum to me were always 90's alt rock with some shoegazey influences. When I first heard "Stars" on the radio back then I dug it because it reminded me of the best part of the Pumpkins. I didn't immediately go to the shoegaze/spacerock connection.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

A portly feline wizard waddles forth, muttering something about conjured food.

hatelull posted:

After Hum disbanded in 2000, Talbot formed Centaur. My memory is hazy, but I'm pretty sure it sounded like Hum. Big guitars and drums. If you like their sound, go check that out.

Eh, not really. I listened to this last week before I bought a bunch of stuff from Bandcamp. It was on my wishlist but I decided against it after giving it a spin. There's exactly one song that sounds like Hum from their only release 20 years ago (In Streams): The Same Place. The rest is very different. I don't think it's bad per se, it's just not very Hum-like and not what I'm looking for currently. I think it's closer to the folk-indie spectrum. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I did buy Inlet finally and whoo, that is incredible stuff. And it sounds especially glorious in 2.75 MB/s FLAC. Among the standouts of my latest Bandcamp batch, for sure. Ironically, being a huge Failure fan and a lesser Hum fan, the former's latest (Wild Type Droid) was also among my haul but it didn't grab me right away. Go figure. It'll probably take some more listens for me to warm up to it. That was the case with their last 2 LPs as well.

If you like Big Guitars and Drums, check out Nothing and Anakin. The latter has covered two Hum songs (I'd Like Your Hair Long and Stars [which was the final piece they put to record]), but they're more of a super-loud heavily-downtuned Weezer/Rentals/emo crossover with a slight bit of shoegaze. Starting with their 2nd album (Emergency Broadcast System EP), they have the most insane drum recording production I've ever heard. I think composition-wise, I like their debut LP the best, but it doesn't sound as quite off-the-chain as the others.

I will definitely 2nd Teenage Wrist.

Another standout from my haul that is pure shoegaze - BLUSHING. I bought both of their LPs, one of which was just released a few weeks ago. I hear the spirit of Lush throughout (although it's much heavier than Lush) and it's wonderful.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 22:58 on Mar 8, 2022

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

RestingB1tchFace posted:

seconding Nothing and adding Cloakroom; Matt from Hum even produced one of their records. Whirr and Weed might work, too.

also, i never really cared for them, but Deftones are open about their admiration for Hum and there are some songs where the influence is very obvious

funkybottoms fucked around with this message at 13:46 on Mar 9, 2022

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Decent article by Ned Raggett: https://theshfl.com/guide/shoegaze-revival

I'd add Ringo Deathstarr

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

funkybottoms posted:

seconding Nothing and adding Cloakroom; Matt from Hum even produced one of their records. Whirr and Weed might work, too.

also, i never really cared for them, but Deftones are open about their admiration for Hum and there are some songs where the influence is very obvious

I like Whirr too but I'm hesitant to recommend them in SA spaces due to some pretty uncool Twitter history stuff that got them cancelled.

That said, the Whirr / Nothing split EP from 2014 is quite possibly my favorite EP ever. All 4 songs are incredible.

Deftones are cool, really the only nu-metal-ish band I got into. But if you want big drums, stay away from their otherwise-iconic earlier albums (namely, White Pony and Around The Fur) - sounds like regaae-style tin-can stuff that bands like 311 and Sublime were also using in the 90s. I also have Saturday Night Wrist and they seemed to have improved by then, but I'm not familiar with any of the others they've released.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

oh, right, totally forgot about the Whirr-related ugliness

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

I mean, they posted a public apology, claimed they fired the alleged culprit (rumored to be one of their merch people), and it never happened again, so take that as you will. Due to those things, I'm personally ok with supporting them. But I can see where others may not. My Bandcamp haul last week included their entire (self-released) discography since it was only $10 for all of it. Plus the 2 Graveface Records releases (Around and Sway), one of which I bought on CD just because it's available and didn't cost much more than digital-only, while also including digital. I previously only had the aforementioned split EP and a name-your-price (read: $0) copy of Distressor from years ago. Sandy is a lovely song.

Also got Nothing's The Great Dismal and Minor Victories on CD. Same deal, only several bucks more with shipping. My CD box is getting full though. I finally got around to ripping the CDs I bought from my local record store last year - 3 2021 remasters of My Bloody Valentine stuff (Isn't Anything, m b v, and the 2-CD Loveless, all EU imports apparently) and the Nevermind 30th Anniversary. My PC's optical drive HATES those Nevermind discs for some reason. It made some really odd noises and seemed to struggle to read them. I had to rip them twice and they're still not perfect (some pops/crackles on the ending tracks). The MBV discs were all fine. :shrug:

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 19:12 on Mar 9, 2022

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!

hatelull posted:

Assuming you're familiar with most of the stuff that gets linked in this thread. I rotted on that Teenage Wrist album Earth is a Black Hole for months after it was released. That might scratch the itch. Those first two Swervedriver records also don't disappoint.

You might check out the first two Secret Machines records? They have probably a deep kraut rock influence and will ape a riff for a bit, but they do go for big guitars.

Hum to me were always 90's alt rock with some shoegazey influences. When I first heard "Stars" on the radio back then I dug it because it reminded me of the best part of the Pumpkins. I didn't immediately go to the shoegaze/spacerock connection.

Yeah....I never meant to suggest that Hum was shoegaze. Just an alt rock band with the shoegaze influence.

Ofecks posted:

Eh, not really. I listened to this last week before I bought a bunch of stuff from Bandcamp. It was on my wishlist but I decided against it after giving it a spin. There's exactly one song that sounds like Hum from their only release 20 years ago (In Streams): The Same Place. The rest is very different. I don't think it's bad per se, it's just not very Hum-like and not what I'm looking for currently. I think it's closer to the folk-indie spectrum. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I did buy Inlet finally and whoo, that is incredible stuff. And it sounds especially glorious in 2.75 MB/s FLAC. Among the standouts of my latest Bandcamp batch, for sure. Ironically, being a huge Failure fan and a lesser Hum fan, the former's latest (Wild Type Droid) was also among my haul but it didn't grab me right away. Go figure. It'll probably take some more listens for me to warm up to it. That was the case with their last 2 LPs as well.

If you like Big Guitars and Drums, check out Nothing and Anakin. The latter has covered two Hum songs (I'd Like Your Hair Long and Stars [which was the final piece they put to record]), but they're more of a super-loud heavily-downtuned Weezer/Rentals/emo crossover with a slight bit of shoegaze. Starting with their 2nd album (Emergency Broadcast System EP), they have the most insane drum recording production I've ever heard. I think composition-wise, I like their debut LP the best, but it doesn't sound as quite off-the-chain as the others.

I will definitely 2nd Teenage Wrist.

Another standout from my haul that is pure shoegaze - BLUSHING. I bought both of their LPs, one of which was just released a few weeks ago. I hear the spirit of Lush throughout (although it's much heavier than Lush) and it's wonderful.

'Wild Type Droid' exceeded all of my expectations. 100% my favorite album of 2021. And 'Inlet' is fantastic too. But that came out in 2020.

funkybottoms posted:

I am a pretty big fan of the Deftones too. 'White Pony' is obviously a great album....and deservingly gets awarded its flowers.....but 'Gore' is the Deftones album that I think doesn't get nearly enough appreciation.

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone.

RestingB1tchFace fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Mar 11, 2022

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
this recently came up on shuffle during my commute to work during a cold, wet, lovely day. appropriate soundtrack.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsajdazBhKo

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
The usual Pogues, Dropkick Murphys and U2 getting played over and over on the bar jukebox tonight so I played “Soon” by My Bloody Valentine

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

RestingB1tchFace posted:

most of their other stuff doesn't sound like this, but this song by Title Fight is my favorite bit of Hum worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9KgGqXDyw

also if you want Failure-esque space rock I would be extremely remiss if I didn't recommend the album Jupiter by Cave In.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UlAuzXGC_JM

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

most of their other stuff doesn't sound like this, but this song by Title Fight is my favorite bit of Hum worship

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tu9KgGqXDyw

Yuss. Someone linked this same video in one of the Discord channels I look at. There's a #music subchannel but nearly everything that people put in there I find to be horrible garbage. This one was a rare exception, it's good.

Also, I heard Cave In was a hardcore punk band until they heard Fantastic Planet.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Ofecks posted:

Also, I heard Cave In was a hardcore punk band until they heard Fantastic Planet.

Pretty much. Their trajectory goes something like metalcore > space rock > radio alt rock > sludge metal > some unholy mixture of all of the above. One of my favorite bands, extremely rewarding discography. They released one of the best metalcore LPs of all time and then followed it up two years later with one of the best space rock LPs of all time. They're up front about the Failure worship too, they covered Magnified on an EP between those two records.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
New song from Ukraine’s Somali Yacht Club

https://youtu.be/vnKUGN_MkqY

widefault
Mar 16, 2009
This popped up in my YouTube recommendations a week or so back and despite the band name I gave it a chance and I'm kinda hooked.

Horsegirl - "Anti-Glory"
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBuOJF_rX40

"Billy" is also pretty damned good
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tsip3FReatE

They only have a few songs out, but a full album is coming in June.

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Channeling Captain Obvious but Spiritualized still brings the goods. I drove up after work and am typing this from the most miserable Super 8 known to mankind, but have no regrets.

He's not pulling out a "Medication" or "Cop Shoot Cop" on this tour but god drat do they still hit those peaks.

hatelull fucked around with this message at 12:24 on Apr 2, 2022

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe

hatelull posted:

Channeling Captain Obvious but Spiritualized still brings the goods. I drove up after work and am typing this from the most miserable Super 8 known to mankind, but have no regrets.

He's not pulling out a "Medication" or "Cop Shoot Cop" on this tour but god drat do they still hit those peaks.

I saw them in Denver on Monday and it was killer. The songs they played from the new album that hadn't been released as singles yet were huge, and Come Together was a nice surprise, because I hadn't seen it on the previous setlists (although I was also kinda bummed that it seemed to take the place of Headin' For The Top Now, which I love).

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

Oh wow! So jealous you got a "Come Together." I absolutely agree, those new songs melted me. I really like "So Long You Pretty Thing" as a closer.

Cat Hassler
Feb 7, 2006

Slippery Tilde
Neat band from Ukraine called Mandarinaduck. If you like HUM/Lush/Slowdive have a listen

https://youtu.be/KWZ5zAOwcG0

Cannot find much info about them but they’re on Apple Music and Bandcamp

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Cat Hassler posted:

If you like HUM/Lush/Slowdive have a listen

Maybe a teensy bit of Lush, but the other two, no not really. This reminds me more of some indie-skewing stuff like No Vacation. That's perfectly fine, your sample was a pleasant tune. Just the comparison was off IMO.

Something else I noticed on the vid description:

quote:

Provided to YouTube by CDBaby

CDBaby is still around?!? I remember being introduced to it in 2002 when Ken Andrews released his 2nd solo album that way (On - Make Believe). I want to say they let you listen to stuff before buying. Don't remember if it was in full like Bandcamp or not. My former partner poked around on there and bought a handful of stuff, most of which I didn't care for, but among them was one of my favorite EPs ever, that I don't think many people have ever heard of:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RWlkfKdBTB8

I'm not really sure what to call this style. Sadcore Synth-Pop? The opener, Moscow, has some shoegazey-ness to it. Just a little. In any case, I love all 4 tracks. Band changed their name to Low Vs Diamond but they didn't keep the sound seen here.

Oddly, the CD she got didn't have that same cover. It was green and smeary, I think. The only reason I have it in my digital library is because I made 1:1 copies of most of her CDs before she moved out.

Ofecks fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Apr 9, 2022

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

Ofecks posted:

CDBaby is still around?!? I remember being introduced to it in 2002 when Ken Andrews released his 2nd solo album that way (On - Make Believe). I want to say they let you listen to stuff before buying. Don't remember if it was in full like Bandcamp or not.

I have several friends in local bands who made pretty decent side money through CDbaby back in the early 2000's.

They originally focused on selling physical CD's from indie bands, and the owners and staff listened to each album before agreeing to sell it on the site. The bands could select from a few preview options, but I believe the default (at least at one point in time) was a 30-second clip of each track, and one or two full-length tracks that you could listen to before buying.

CDbaby is still around, but like everyone else they've made the shift to digital distribution. Now I think they mostly work with indie/small-label bands to get their music on Spotify and Apple Music and presumably take a cut from that.

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

WhiteHowler posted:

Now I think they mostly work with indie/small-label bands to get their music on Spotify and Apple Music and presumably take a cut from that.

I see. YouTube as well, apparently. I can't imagine there being much money in that pursuit, considering how little streaming platforms pay out to anyone except the current FOMO rap artists and whatnot.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Been jamming out to Japanese shoegaze lately, this was especially good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natQF-y0Ez8

von Braun
Oct 30, 2009

Broder Daniel Forever

Probably Magic posted:

Been jamming out to Japanese shoegaze lately, this was especially good. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=natQF-y0Ez8

that album is great and one of the best album covers

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Courtesy of the YouTube suggestion Algorithm, possibly because I've recently seen nearly everything from Blushing on there:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGL-sa4m7-Y

Wow. If anyone posted them here before, I must've missed it.

teethgrinder
Oct 9, 2002

Really enjoying the new incarnation of A Place to Bury Strangers ... though this is like an electro-clash remix

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p4MzxCviaao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Happy 5th birthday to my 2nd favorite Slowdive album!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qd_kYNbiTcU

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
Julee Cruise died

The Real Amethyst
Apr 20, 2018

When no one was looking, Serval took forty Japari buns. She took 40 buns. That's as many as four tens. And that's terrible.
This gem was released last month from Tokyo Shoegazer, it's a great album.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-cjUEN7CQyM

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Are there any shoegaze bands that have 3 live guitar players, besides Whirr and Slowdive (sometimes)?

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Ofecks posted:

Are there any shoegaze bands that have 3 live guitar players, besides Whirr and Slowdive (sometimes)?

probably isn't what you're looking for since they're defunct now and predate "shoegaze" as a popularly agreed genre but you might like Band of Susans, so named because they had three women guitar players named Susan when the band first started. two promptly left after the first record. lots of guitars was their whole deal.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7s2f1gJvhus
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XofCW1dEenk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kF8xv3k8SIA

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
Not strictly shoegaze, but Spiritualized have had 3 guitarists each of the times I've seen them in the past ~20 years

hatelull
Oct 29, 2004

I've been into this new EP from Greet Death and I guess it belongs here as much as anywhere else ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=872Vvbj4fjs

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

Fun Shoe
I guess I’m the Andy Bell RSS feed itt, but he plays guitar on half of the songs of the Pye Corner Audio album that is out today, blissful ambient shoegaze/drone vibes.

quote:

“This is a departure to sunnier climes, but a departure nonetheless,” says Pye Corner Audio, aka Martin Jenkins. “It’s something that I’d been thinking about for a while. I try to tailor my work slightly differently for the various labels that I work with, and this seems to fit nicely with Sonic Cathedral’s ethos.”

Designer Marc Jones’ ultra vivid artwork consciously references the likes of LFO, Spacemen 3 and the early output of Stereolab.

“I think it mixes together many of my earliest influences,” explains Martin. “I’ve been a long-time fan of Spacemen 3 and Stereolab. Their moments of repetition and drone have always seeped into what I’ve tried to create.”

ROFLBOT
Apr 1, 2005
Industrial Shoegaze? From Belgium, weirdly unsettling video too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bGwaAiW5NTU

Ofecks
May 4, 2009

Data moshing, done "professionally". That was one of the coolest music videos I've ever seen. Maybe do not (or definitely do) watch after taking LSD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
bzzzzump

https://twitter.com/berenyi_miki/status/1565826333300719616?s=20&t=eKVMGjD25pyUGuazvPCzGw