Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Strep Vote
May 5, 2004

أنا أحب حليب الشوكولاتة

Two months lol Jesus, just like the time it goes from spike to new cases rising. Essentially we just let it burn through the pop every few months, and we start over 70 days past the peak with a new variant that rips through the pop again.

*ringu voice* seven[ty] days...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
Over

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

NeonPunk has issued a correction as of 18:14 on Mar 4, 2023

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Emily Oster has some unsurprising opinions on AIDS.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Perhaps it is the brains that are the problem?

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Strep Vote posted:

Two months lol Jesus, just like the time it goes from spike to new cases rising. Essentially we just let it burn through the pop every few months, and we start over 70 days past the peak with a new variant that rips through the pop again.

*ringu voice* seven[ty] days...

Best time to do the annual flu shot + covid boost is going to be a week before Halloween i guess , but that's stretching it for Christmas and new years

Greg Legg
Oct 6, 2004

NeonPunk posted:

Microplastics? It crosses the brain blood barrier and takes up place in our brain too.

I did not know this. poo poo.

Sunny Side Up
Jun 22, 2004

Mayoist Third Condimentist

I’ve been sticking to 120 days max. Fifth shot will be in 3-4 weeks but maybe I should just go now lol.

stump collector
May 28, 2007

Greg Legg posted:

I did not know this. poo poo.

me neither. gonna get microscopic green bins placed strategically around my brain to deal with this

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
During Delta fresh off my booster I still wasn’t going maskless because any chance of spreading covid to someone seemed bad :shrug:

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Maybe the micro plastics in your brain repel the covid, you don’t know.

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

My theory on living with the virus:

Don't Be There Don't travel unnecessarily, use phones etc as much as possible
Don't Be Seen minimize time when you're in the same room as another person
Don't Be Targeted keep the distance between you and people you have to talk to down
Don't Be Hit Strong Respirator
Don't Be Penetrated Vax & Boost
Don't Be Killed if you do get sick, get plenty of rest and see if you can get some drugs

Internet Janitor posted:

In my own bean burg experiments I have found that using breadcrumbs or potato flakes is a bit easier than using flour. Eggs can also be used as an additional binder if you aren't aiming for vegan.

Yeah that's true, I just tend to not have those on hand.

I've been vegan for 9 years at this point so it's been a while since I used egg but IIRC you still want to have some sort of starchy binder to get it to dry up a little bit. Like the other part of the test is that if the stuff sticks better to your hand than to itself it'll be very hard to make patties.

Trixie Hardcore
Jul 1, 2006

Placeholder.
Get enough plastic in your brain and the covid slides right off? Makes sense.

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?
If you think about it, the most important part is to not have restrictions.

https://academic.oup.com/jid/advance-article/doi/10.1093/infdis/jiac109/6561438?searchresult=1&login=false posted:

The Concept of Classical Herd Immunity May Not Apply to COVID-19
David M Morens, Gregory K Folkers, Anthony S Fauci
Published: 31 March 2022
(..)
But encouragingly, after more than two years of viral circulation, and more than a year of vaccines with boosters, we now have a high degree of background population immunity to SARS-CoV-2, as well as medical countermeasures such as antiviral drugs and monoclonal antibodies to prevent progression of disease, and widely available diagnostic tests. With these interventions we can aspire to, and very likely will succeed in achieving, substantial control of community spread without the disruptions of society caused by COVID-19 over the past 2 years. We no longer need the elusive concept of “herd immunity” as an aspirational goal: COVID-19 control is already within our grasp.
(..)
Living with COVID is best considered not as reaching a numerical threshold of immunity, but as optimizing population protection without prohibitive restrictions on our daily lives. Effective tools for prevention and control of COVID-19 (vaccines, prevention measures) are available; if utilized, the road back to normality is achievable even without achieving classical herd immunity.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

Pingui posted:

Trump was a prophet.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Pingui posted:

Optimizing population protection without mandates IS possible. It means putting a Corsi Cube in every room, making sure ventilation is really good, and drastically increasing the number of teachers to shrink class sizes. Governments aren't willing to do any of that, they just talk about the possibility of it, to justify mass death and disability.

The Demilich
Apr 9, 2020

The First Rites of Men Were Mortuary, the First Altars Tombs.

Daniel Dales Dick posted:

A study on that just got published today. You shed less virus if you're vaccinated, you're less likely to infect others.

https://twitter.com/EckerleIsabella/status/1512548051780608005?t=D5btC1PX6poikpohg6JkPg&s=19

Always good to have updates:

Isabella Eckerle posted:

Next, effect of #vaccination (2x or 3x) on infectious viral load in #Omicron BA.1 infections: Individuals with 2x mRNA vaccine had comparable infectious viral load to unvaccinated. But with additional (booster) dose we saw a more than 5-fold reduction in infectious viral load! 6/
Public health impact of our findings: vaccination can reduce infectious viral load, likely leading to lower onward transmission. These findings underscore the benefit of #vaccination on #SARSCoV2 circulation beyond individual protection from severe disease #SARSCoV2 #COVID19 8/

I found this too from a pdf titled Demographic Characteristics of Adults Receiving
COVID-19 Booster Vaccinations

quote:

As of March 9, 2022, 47.5 percent of the fully vaccinated adult population has received a booster.

Now I know I might not be a big city permabanned fridge doctor, but I think having 52.5% of your population (in the US's case) having comparably infectious viral loads to the unvaccinated if they get sick isn't a good thing, especially considering the Open Biden narrative unfolding before our eyes.

Sep 2, 2011

Pingui posted:

every day i read the stupidest poo poo i have ever read said unapologetically by people who are supposed to be smart

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

Trixie Hardcore posted:

Get enough plastic in your brain and the covid slides right off? Makes sense.

my brain is already so smooth I'm hoping it does the same to the plastics

Pingui
Jun 4, 2006

WTF?

Chamale posted:

Optimizing population protection without mandates IS possible. It means putting a Corsi Cube in every room, making sure ventilation is really good, and drastically increasing the number of teachers to shrink class sizes. Governments aren't willing to do any of that, they just talk about the possibility of it, to justify mass death and disability.

They are already optimizing population protection (within the implied constraints).

call_of_qthulhu
Nov 21, 2003

Fun Shoe

Pillowpants posted:

To be more clear, the CDC was only getting COVID wastewater data from El Paso and Harris county.

last week it added Galveston and acknowledged that Dallas has wastewater plants but nothing was updated.

I haven’t checked in a few days but it appears San Antonio, Fort Bend and a few smaller counties have started to report too.

It’s not good news.

Texas is also the reason HHS stopped requiring “critical staffing data” as ~500 hospitals just never reported it and screwed up the national % numbers.

IIn terms of admissions it does appear to be slowly increasing but then bad weekend reporting screws up my maps.

It's all good. I figured out more or less what you meant because of the sheer size of the state and the politics of our state government. Survival is defiance & only trust your respirator, I just haven't heard people talking locally about getting sick.

RandomBlue
Dec 30, 2012

hay guys!

Biscuit Hider

NeonPunk posted:

I love how every external existential threat to humanity all involves making us all collectively stupider and thus we will never be able to stop it.

Covid? It shrinks our brain by 10% and gives us all brain fog.

Climate change? All of the increased CO2 inhibit our cognitive thinking.

Microplastics? It crosses the brain blood barrier and takes up place in our brain too.

what you saying?

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tulip posted:

My theory on living with the virus:

Don't Be There Don't travel unnecessarily, use phones etc as much as possible
Don't Be Seen minimize time when you're in the same room as another person
Don't Be Targeted keep the distance between you and people you have to talk to down
Don't Be Hit Strong Respirator
Don't Be Penetrated Vax & Boost
Don't Be Killed if you do get sick, get plenty of rest and see if you can get some drugs

Yeah that's true, I just tend to not have those on hand.

I've been vegan for 9 years at this point so it's been a while since I used egg but IIRC you still want to have some sort of starchy binder to get it to dry up a little bit. Like the other part of the test is that if the stuff sticks better to your hand than to itself it'll be very hard to make patties.

That diagram there applies to every faucet of American living, not just Covid :clint:

Tulip
Jun 3, 2008

yeah thats pretty good

Lastgirl posted:

That diagram there applies to every faucet of American living, not just Covid :clint:

It's a good diagram!

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

NeonPunk posted:

I love how every external existential threat to humanity all involves making us all collectively stupider and thus we will never be able to stop it.

Covid? It shrinks our brain by 10% and gives us all brain fog.

Climate change? All of the increased CO2 inhibit our cognitive thinking.

we are getting steadily dumber every year

the proof? *gestures expansively*

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

A Bakers Cousin posted:

Cave mentality reinforced.

BoothBaberGinsburg
Jan 4, 2021

Shady Amish Terror posted:

I have my plans for both Covid safety and someday escaping my mess, and I'm sorry for blurting it out into the thread, but it's just nice to have somewhere to kvetch sometimes.

:hfive: I've done my fair share of kvetching in here as well. Sometimes that's just what the moment calls for!

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

NeatHeteroDude posted:

Also wait, is covid airborne??

This gets into when we learned it is airborne, why health organisations pushed back for so long, and the timeline of their eventual whispered admission that CoV-2 is viable for extended duration in exhaled aerosols.

https://www.wired.com/story/the-teeny-tiny-scientific-screwup-that-helped-covid-kill/

Potato Salad has issued a correction as of 01:36 on Apr 10, 2022

Lastgirl
Sep 7, 1997

Good Morning!
Sunday Morning!

Tulip posted:

It's a good diagram!

Sure is :clint:

Ebola Roulette
Sep 13, 2010

No matter what you win lose ragepiss.
I like wearing a mask because being sick loving sucks.

You can pry this mask off my cold dead face.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

Trixie Hardcore - if you can find the time I'd love to have a table of contents at the top of the OP with like:

#1: COVID FACTS
#2: BUY BEANS
#3: FART INTO YOUR MASK

etc and then you know place those labels in the relevant sections so people can ctrl+f for sections instead of scrolling.

Or maybe I'm the only weirdo that likes that functionality in threads?

Stoop Kid
Jan 17, 2007

Afraid to leave his stoop.
get the spreadsheet fired up, I’m in danger

Sep 2, 2011

Ebola Roulette posted:

I like wearing a mask because being sick loving sucks.

You can pry this mask off my cold dead face.

honestly part of me keeps wondering when they're going to flat out try to ban people from wearing masks altogether

loading... has issued a correction as of 01:52 on Apr 10, 2022

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster
first soccer games of the season today for both of our kids. both were the only kids to wear a mask that I saw across 16 teams

:negative:

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

loading... posted:

honestly part of me keeps wondering when they're going to flat out try to ban people wearing masks

lol that’s been happening for a while my dude

Sep 2, 2011

Fly Molo posted:

lol that’s been happening for a while my dude

i mean explicitly, like through legislation. right now it's primarily social pressure that cavers like us still resist

to be fair, that may be enough for the goal of compulsory mass infection/reinfection ad infinitum (or until we just die, rather) so it might not matter

loading... has issued a correction as of 02:01 on Apr 10, 2022

Pillowpants
Aug 5, 2006
We got 99 Wastewater problems and COVID is one.

Note: For places that had multiple plants I averaged out the the increase

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

loading... posted:

i mean explicitly, like through legislation. right now it's primarily social pressure that cavers like us still resist

to be fair, that may be enough for the goal of compulsory mass infection/reinfection ad infinitum (or until we just die, rather) so it might not matter

it is explicitly through legislation. mostly anti kkk laws

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CPU Abuser posted:

Compare these with the 3M face size chart.

That’s a Honeywell chart. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Trixie Hardcore posted:

This is a role playing thread where we pretend covid is still happening. :ssh:

Oh nooooo, if everyone doesn't wear masks and stay home surely covid will spread, ooooh nooooo! BA.2 is real and dangerous! Watch out you guys and be careful! :vince:

DM rolls a handful of dice behind the screen.