Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNi83Hp-Z8

spawn points in this location are extra hosed for some reason. putting one inside a field boss arena seems like a no-no but apparently not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

IronicDongz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rwNi83Hp-Z8

spawn points in this location are extra hosed for some reason. putting one inside a field boss arena seems like a no-no but apparently not

It's a pretty good rune arc farm spot. Usually you can just stand there and look threatening and that's enough to get the host killed

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kild posted:

Clearly she's a lord of cinder

The loathsome god eater

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

RBA Starblade posted:

The loathsome god eater

YoooOOOOuuuu Jooooin the dung king as familyyyyy, together we will devour the very gods shiiiiit!

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
I had to take a break from putting my summon sign in the pool in Altus because of how many people were summoning for (and getting invaded during) the Godskin Apostle that's out in the world.

Having invasions possible during boss fights is goofy, it's a death sentence for the host unless the invader is incredibly bad.

frogbs
May 5, 2004
Well well well
Goddamnit, the Silver Knight in Stormveil after the bird w/blades & barrels is just absolutely destroying me. I've even tried luring him up the ladder and trying to push him off and he just starts combo-ing and i'm done. I think i'm gonna just try running past him to where-ever the next grace is.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
Gotta have a summon to get invaded. 2v2 fair fight :grin:

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

skasion posted:

Gotta have a summon to get invaded. 2v2 fair fight :grin:

I'm not going to say it's fair. But it is funny and they are some of the few fights that are invader sided.

That and some sections of levels.

Don't like it don't summon lol gg etc

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

frogbs posted:

Goddamnit, the Silver Knight in Stormveil after the bird w/blades & barrels is just absolutely destroying me. I've even tried luring him up the ladder and trying to push him off and he just starts combo-ing and i'm done. I think i'm gonna just try running past him to where-ever the next grace is.

I really liked how tough those guys were for me at the start of the game, too. I said bye to my Uchigatana because of them and started using the Lordsworn Greatsword.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug

frogbs posted:

You can put up your summon sign and help peeps. It's a good way to learn the creatures and castle without having to throw poo poo everywhere. (And gain lots of levels cuz you dont lose runes when you die coop)

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Vermain posted:

lmao jesus christ, did they find an entirely new zip or something

That was done with macros. It's a route being explored that uses the same double frame-perfect zip that they use for the final zip to despawn elden beast's floor. It's a double-zip from the chapel of anticipation to stormveil, then a double zip to four belfries (trying to get to four belfries from chapel is too far for the belfries to be loaded in) . Then CFA as normal up to malekith but you need to do two zips to get out of Mal's arena then double-zip to kill him. Except that process only gets you from the clergyman to the Malekith fight, you need to execute the two zips to get out then double-zip AGAIN to actually kill him and get to the ashen capital.

So you have to execute 4 extra double-zips over the current run, and you only have 2 chances to get the first of two single-zips out of Malekith's arena before he catches up to you for each of his phases.

ZeusCannon
Nov 5, 2009

BLAAAAAARGH PLEASE KILL ME BLAAAAAAAARGH
Grimey Drawer

vandalism posted:

How is this considered beating the game? They didn't beat anything. They just stood in weird hosed up spots. They didn't even beat bosses.

They got real good.

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010
How the gently caress am I already finding a cave I've never seen before?

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

vandalism posted:

I don't understand any of this. Run in and hold up your sword and shuffle back and forth to teleport halfway through the game? Exit the game during a boss and come back to the end of the game?

How is this considered beating the game? They didn't beat anything. They just stood in weird hosed up spots. They didn't even beat bosses.

Neo: You're saying I can beat bosses?

Morpheus: No. I'm trying to tell you that when you're ready, you won't have to.

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Really stuck on Commander Niall and I'm only remotely getting anywhere using the bewitching branch cheese (I wouldn't even call that a cheese), but I still haven't beat him despite using up:

- All the bewitching branches that merchant sells you
- All the bewitching branches I could craft after scouring the entire loving world for every last Miqullon's Lily on Fextralife, and as far as I can tell those lilies don't grow back.

Am I hosed?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

did anyone figure out what the deal with Omens is yet? is it related to runes or outer gods or lore? or is it just like the magical version of spina bifida or downs syndrome?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

juggalo baby coffin posted:

did anyone figure out what the deal with Omens is yet? is it related to runes or outer gods or lore? or is it just like the magical version of spina bifida or downs syndrome?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cutaneous_horn

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Njashi9 posted:

Gideon Ofnir endgame spoilers:

I like how it adds a bit to his fight if you inform about your progress with Malenia/Mogh.

Seeing him using Malenia's bloom move from phase 2 sure looked strange.

Did the Godskin Duo yesterday and managed to kill them solo without using the sleeping pots strategy in only something like four or five tries. Being high level (something like 165) did a lot of work but much like O&S I just ran a lot and abused the pillars to poke safely.

I think the only notable duo fight I didn't even bother to try soloing was the twin burial watchdogs one in Caelid.

It’s been said to death, but a lot of the duo fights in this game are very badly tuned imo. The godskin duo is probably the most egregious example of this apart from maybe the two crucible knights. It’s made even worse by the godskins being a progress gate.

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

freebooter posted:

Am I hosed?

I farmed a single Miquella's lily from the aeonia cleanrot knights in the time that I farmed 2 Halo scythes if you really want to go that way.

If you've got an upgraded standard weapon then you + a mimic spamming Flame of the Redmanes can do a pretty quick job of staggering the adds to kill them quickly.

This still works to skip needing Niall if you're looking for the medallion half rather than his armor:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vjFm0spUCzY

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

freebooter posted:

Really stuck on Commander Niall and I'm only remotely getting anywhere using the bewitching branch cheese (I wouldn't even call that a cheese), but I still haven't beat him despite using up:

- All the bewitching branches I could craft after scouring the entire loving world for every last Miqullon's Lily on Fextralife, and as far as I can tell those lilies don't grow back.

Am I hosed?

Summons are always useful. Even if they tend to get ganged up on in the doorway.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

freebooter posted:

Am I hosed?

If you can rush down (or branch) his summons he's extremely susceptible to parry-riposte. The trick is that when he does his lightning-stamp, don't dodge too early. Wait til he's in the air, then dodge. He always follows up with 2 or 3 swipes, which are very easy to parry. I find moving slightly to the right after dodging makes it easier to parry the first one, quite often i'd get hit by that and then parry the second. The Crimson Dagger charm is good for keeping your health topped up, and the Blue one keeps your FP up if you want to follow up with arts. For his other attacks its a matter of staying away for his AoE, staying the gently caress away for his bigger AoE, and lots of dodging when he does his breakdancing swipes.

To rush down his summons - run straight in to the double-swordsman and charge up a heavy attack so it'll land right as he spawns. With a second one you should be able to stagger him and use the invulnerability of the critical hit animation to avoid damage. The shield guy is a bit harder, you can roll backwards when he does his charge and slam, but I don't have the timing figured out for that.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

juggalo baby coffin posted:

if you check out the item descriptions related to Followers (so fight the moose bosses and get the big one's Remembrance, explore Nokron and Nokstella very thoroughly, etc.) you'll get a bunch of stuff about them treating children born with tree growths on their bodies as holy because they're a sign of new life being born from death

if you look at descriptions related to tree sentinels and erdtree avatars (i forget exactly where) there's a bit about how the minor erdtrees were born at the moment the Rune of Death was partially unsealed, as if the Erdtree were aware of its mortality and attempting to reproduce

so while i don't have any kind of definitive statement to prove this, my best guess is Omens are a much smaller-scale manifestation of the fact that the Erdtree isn't actually as eternal and static and the Greater Will and its lackeys would like for it to be. therefore, Morgott is basically a sign that the Erdtree will some day die, which is exactly why he's so obsessed with protecting it -- to prove that he's not a sign of their inevitable downfall

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

hazardousmouse posted:

oh lol, there's a moment in the intro movie after char creation that's straight up the moment Mohg kidnaps Miquella

That’s the only view we get of Miquella except for statues in the Haligtree and his cocoon.

Somebody clipped into the cocoon and the model inside is just a shriveled dude. Like, extrapolate from what his arm looks like, and you’ll know what the whole model looks like. It’s a Twitter post, but I can’t find it now.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

freebooter posted:

Am I hosed?

The adds are just normal non-boss dudes. If you use greatshield talisman + barricade shield they just bounce off your guard. You can beat them real easy just by holding block and guardcountering whenever they're stuck in that bouncing-off-shield animation. (Get ready to dodge if they start winding up any fancy wind moves though!)
Then it's just a 1v1 against the boss.

Alternately, explore other directions and come back later with a more-upgraded weapon, if you haven't maxed that out yet. He's an optional boss.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

freebooter posted:

Am I hosed?

I'm sorry if this is too close 'git gud' but what really got me through that fight was having nailed down most of the parry windows for the knights that you face in the game. For Niall himself, he really hangs back while both the knights are alive and when he becomes more active, when he's doing his lightning slam attack so long as you are in front of him you can also parry his flagpole attacks that come out right after reliably, and he gets put into a riposte state with only one parry.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

khwarezm posted:

I'm sorry if this is too close 'git gud' but what really got me through that fight was having nailed down most of the parry windows for the knights that you face in the game. For Niall himself, he really hangs back while both the knights are alive and when he becomes more active, when he's doing his lightning slam attack so long as you are in front of him you can also parry his flagpole attacks that come out right after reliably, and he gets put into a riposte state with only one parry.

Both his knights poof if you get him to phase 2 by doing half his life or so

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

freebooter posted:

Am I hosed?

Level up some more plus cranked up rivers of blood/Moonveil plus +10 mimic. It’s as cheesy as it gets without using actual exploits, but you can just straight up brute force the fight.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

satanic splash-back posted:

Both his knights poof if you get him to phase 2 by doing half his life or so

Yeah but I found it easier to focus down one of the knights, specifically the two swords one who has some nasty combos, quickly, and at that point the sword and shield guy was a cakewalk. I think that's a better strategy then letting three enemies hack away at you at once.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
One time as a phantom i tried dive-bombing all three simultaneously with scarlet aeonia. I instantly got gangbanged to death, leaving the host and other phantom to deal with the fight lol

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
I beat Starscourge Radahn after two attempts. First attempt I tried doing solo, though I summoned Blaidd once I had ran out of healing, only to die seconds after he spawned in

On the second attempt, I summoned...well, everyone! I was kind of shocked you could do that at first, and I figured it would trivialize the fight (which it maybe sort of does). However, I realized that the summons were doing minor damage, so I'd have to keep darting in and hit Radahn to deal any kind of substantial damage. Basically, you have to take Radahn down, but Blaidd, Alexander, and a bunch of other NPC are there to support you and give you time to heal or find an opening. If summons die, you can bring them back by finding where their summon sign respawns. It ends up not being the most nail-biting fight, but one of the more entertaining and unique ones I've seen in a From game. It almost feels like an MMO boss in that regard, where you're DPS, and everyone else is a tank.

-

Unfortunately, the War-Torn Catacombs that you go to right after are giving me a hard time. All the enemies there can tank a lot of damage, so I think I'm probably going to have to go and level up some more to have an easier time.

96 spacejam
Dec 4, 2009

with so few lengthy runs to boss fights where are you douches like me who invade frequenting

and is there is a discord yet for pvp or just in general?

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Unfortunately, the War-Torn Catacombs that you go to right after are giving me a hard time. All the enemies there can tank a lot of damage, so I think I'm probably going to have to go and level up some more to have an easier time.

Google the critical path to the lever and skip all the bullshit. This dungeon sucks rear end and isn’t worth the headache. The boss rewards are worth it however.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

So... why/how do you get teleported to Farum Azula after the cutscene on the forge?

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

if you check out the item descriptions related to Followers (so fight the moose bosses and get the big one's Remembrance, explore Nokron and Nokstella very thoroughly, etc.) you'll get a bunch of stuff about them treating children born with tree growths on their bodies as holy because they're a sign of new life being born from death

if you look at descriptions related to tree sentinels and erdtree avatars (i forget exactly where) there's a bit about how the minor erdtrees were born at the moment the Rune of Death was partially unsealed, as if the Erdtree were aware of its mortality and attempting to reproduce

so while i don't have any kind of definitive statement to prove this, my best guess is Omens are a much smaller-scale manifestation of the fact that the Erdtree isn't actually as eternal and static and the Greater Will and its lackeys would like for it to be. therefore, Morgott is basically a sign that the Erdtree will some day die, which is exactly why he's so obsessed with protecting it -- to prove that he's not a sign of their inevitable downfall

that's very interesting, I hadn't put the followers together with the omens like that, but it makes sense. it even puts the name Omen into context, and ties in neatly with the overarching theme of the necessity of death and rebirth and the horrible consequences of trying to avoid it

theres also a lot of implication in the primal crucible stuff and the godskin noble stuff that the erdtree is to some extent responsible for the present day forms of most creatures. a disruption to the tree would then probably also lead to disruptions in the formation of new life

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

"Big knight" enemies like banished and cleanrot knights are one thing that big STR weapons are really nice against because you can so reliably interrupt their attacks. Niall's nothing special when you can run in and splat his two summons without them even being able to get an attack in.

Horace Kinch
Aug 15, 2007

Steve Yun posted:

Did the Dark Souls games also have mild mannered guys who turned out to be giant psychopaths

There were a couple.

Off the top of my head: Petrus (DS1), Lautrec (DS1), Licia (DS2), Pate (DS2), Creighton (DS2), Horace (DS3), Hodrick (DS3), Gael (DS3)

And special BB mention: Alfred

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

Fister Roboto posted:

So... why/how do you get teleported to Farum Azula after the cutscene on the forge?

Because there's no way to reach the main part of it, so after the screen fades to black Miyazaki comes and gently scoops each player up and deposits them there to make sure they get to experience it:)

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Horace Kinch posted:

There were a couple.

Off the top of my head: Petrus (DS1), Lautrec (DS1), Licia (DS2), Pate (DS2), Creighton (DS2), Horace (DS3), Hodrick (DS3), Gael (DS3)

And special BB mention: Alfred

The ds3 ones don't count as psychopaths, they went hollow and/or insane first.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

War Wizard posted:

Haven't you heard? Incantation is garbage and needs massive buffs to be viab:barf:

I tested it out with my faith leaning SoN&F build and it was okay. A good "can't miss" button but nothing special on the damage side. Presumably if those 14 points of int were still in faith it may be more useful. :shrug:

I gave it a shot against dragonlord pissfuck and while it was nice, it didnt really outpace my melee. The thing is, my melee is two +25 heavy giant crushers with 80 strength with bloodhound step for mobility so the fact that it was competitive at all was impressive

Still cast like 5 incants per fight it's just they were all buffs for this so it is what it is. Still better than sorcery for doing damage even if you never actually cast a spell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Thanks for the tips on Niall, will give them all a crack. To be clear it's his summons I'm having issues with, not Niall himself - when I still had bewitching branches and could force him to kill them off I was pretty reliably getting his health down to just a tiny fraction before losing the fight.