Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since it's been out for a bit, do people like the Warlord epic battles sets? I'm thinking of grabbing one of the starters and maybe some buildings for my wife's birthday. There isn't a quality difference right, it's just preference of ACW vs Waterloo?

e: i swear my wife also likes painting and smashing minis together but this feels like buying presents for myself and will never leave gently caress

I wish I could help you but I've had decision paralysis for months about whether I want to sell my unbuilt 28mm armies and switch 15mm or not.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hekk
Oct 12, 2012

'smeper fi

Class Warcraft posted:

I wish I could help you but I've had decision paralysis for months about whether I want to sell my unbuilt 28mm armies and switch 15mm or not.

I was looking at these at the local game store. They have both British and French sets and I've been itching to get into historicals at some point and have WWII fatigue from my previous interest in wargames and history. If you end up picking anything up please let us know how they are.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Since it's been out for a bit, do people like the Warlord epic battles sets? I'm thinking of grabbing one of the starters and maybe some buildings for my wife's birthday. There isn't a quality difference right, it's just preference of ACW vs Waterloo?

e: i swear my wife also likes painting and smashing minis together but this feels like buying presents for myself and will never leave gently caress

I have everything for ACW and really like it. I like painting the minis a lot, of course the Union troops look good as Western theater. I haven't really played a game yet, but I think a beer n pretzels style game with them will be fine. I have Pickett's Charge too and read it once but it's like reading a software manual.

The minis are really excellent and fit well in 3 stand regiments on a 6x4 table.

The ACW starter, even with 3 stand units, is not big enough to play most of the scenarios in the book, unfortunately.

90s Cringe Rock
Nov 29, 2006
:gay:

Endman posted:

In all seriousness though, I'd love a miniatures game that captures the same feeling as a fresh game of Age of Empires, complete with villagers whacking each other with elephant bones.
Prehistoric Settlement.

Comrade Merf
Jun 2, 2011

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I've had quite a bit of fun with the ACW side of things, only picked up the plastic infantry sets from Warlord itself and that's been enough for me. Lack of model variety has not really bothered me when you have thousands of dudes on the table. Have yet to see the Napoleonic Epic stuff in person yet but should be picking some up soon.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth

mellonbread posted:

It would be fun if it was supported by a good campaign system, where each player commands a tribe of grugs skirmishing for the best hunting grounds. You could focus your clan on different social advantages, like religion and entheogens to get morale buffs, or more sophisticated use of language for better C&C. The scale would be pretty small, so you'd want rules for a wide variety of outcomes besides death. A single caveman getting killed should be a big deal, with most fights ending in injuries or one side retreating. Maybe a storytelling and mythmaking layer, where after each fight you get to ascribe meaning to something that happened and gain additional buffs for your dudes.

I love that idea, especially the last bit - run it as a generations game, where every campaign turn is a generation or a half generation, with the events of previous games slowly becoming more mythical and different rituals being developed until you end up with entirely different cultures with different religions and different practices that you can actually track to a specific historical starting point.

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Class Warcraft posted:

I would die a happy man if we switched to 15mm for large scale battles (but not WW2).

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Anyone know a good source for High Medieval guys? Fireforge looks alright but it's a little pricey. The Normans from Victrix are great and fifty bucks for sixty models is fantastic (though there are very limited choices, just infantry and cavalry) but I was looking for something more 1200s-ish.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Perry have a bunch of Agincourt / War of Roses sets you might be able to use?

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

DaysBefore posted:

Anyone know a good source for High Medieval guys? Fireforge looks alright but it's a little pricey. The Normans from Victrix are great and fifty bucks for sixty models is fantastic (though there are very limited choices, just infantry and cavalry) but I was looking for something more 1200s-ish.

For 1200s the Barons' War range from Footsore are really good, but they're expensive and in metal rather than plastic.

DaysBefore
Jan 24, 2019

Endman posted:

For 1200s the Barons' War range from Footsore are really good, but they're expensive and in metal rather than plastic.

Oh good call, thanks, they rock. Definitely out of my price range for the regulars but might scoop a few notables

MeinPanzer
Dec 20, 2004
anyone who reads Cinema Discusso for anything more than slackjawed trolling will see the shittiness in my posts
Claymore Castings is also good for high medieval stuff. Again, metal, but they're beautiful figures.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey so, like an absolute idiot I bought eight horses (enough for a reasonable BA mounted section, for a recon squad or something) among a bunch of scatter terrain pieces in Warlord's current 'random sprue sale', so now I'm thinking about actually using them...

So what I'm wondering is, are there any generic horse riding legs I can use for them? Since I'm thinking of sticking the horse riding legs to the horse with either an alpini or regular Italian upper body (probably alpini) to it. Then have an as-identical-as-possible on-foot version of the mounted soldier, for when they dismount. I had a bit of a google earlier, but I couldn't find anything. I'm not really good at keyword searching for random bits though, so I'm not surprised by that result!

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Major Isoor posted:

Hey so, like an absolute idiot I bought eight horses (enough for a reasonable BA mounted section, for a recon squad or something) among a bunch of scatter terrain pieces in Warlord's current 'random sprue sale', so now I'm thinking about actually using them...

So what I'm wondering is, are there any generic horse riding legs I can use for them? Since I'm thinking of sticking the horse riding legs to the horse with either an alpini or regular Italian upper body (probably alpini) to it. Then have an as-identical-as-possible on-foot version of the mounted soldier, for when they dismount. I had a bit of a google earlier, but I couldn't find anything. I'm not really good at keyword searching for random bits though, so I'm not surprised by that result!

Something like this?

https://madrobotminiatures.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=315

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Ohhh, that's PERFECT - those fatigue pants look great! I might need to file the legwraps (I forgot about those) on my foot soldiers to try and help turn them into boots, but otherwise that'll do perfectly, I think

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

The go-to method for making ww2 cavalry is apparently buying a box of plastic Perry ACW cavalry and chopping the models off at the hips to combine with a torso from a plastic ww2 kit.

Just curious - why an alpini body for your cav?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Just curious - why an alpini body for your cav?

Oh, just because my force is primarily alpini as-is, is all. (With some recently added Blackshirts for use as cannon fodder in larger scale games)
Thing is though, I can't really find any info online to support having alpini as the cav, which is making me toss up having them as simple regulars. But I mean, SURELY they had some horses here and there, for recon/patrol duties!

That's an interesting idea though, about the Perry models. I'll have to compare prices, etc I think

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Oh, just because my force is primarily alpini as-is, is all. (With some recently added Blackshirts for use as cannon fodder in larger scale games)
Thing is though, I can't really find any info online to support having alpini as the cav, which is making me toss up having them as simple regulars. But I mean, SURELY they had some horses here and there, for recon/patrol duties!

That's an interesting idea though, about the Perry models. I'll have to compare prices, etc I think

I'm building an Italian 8th Army force as well, so I've been doing some research on the topic. From what I've seen it looks like all the Italian cavalry was concentrated in two cavalry regiments acting as a mobile reserve.

Here's the 8th Army composition:
http://www.niehorster.org/019_italy/42-08-08_ARMIR/army_08.html
(Cavalry brigade under commander Barbo)

And here we can see the makeup of an Alpini regiment:
https://archive.org/details/TME30-420/page/66/mode/2up

Doesn't look like the Alpini had any cavalry, I'm guessing because horses would be too likely to break a leg or freeze to death in mountainous conditions. But it would be completely plausible to have some regular Italian cavalry backing up your Alpini as they seem to have been used wherever they were most needed. The Italian cavalry performed well during the campaign, including an episode where they routed a Soviet infantry regiment with a cavalry charge.

Of course this is some rivet counter poo poo and you should do whatever you think would be the most fun.

Endman
May 18, 2010

That is not dead which can eternal lie, And with strange aeons even anime may die

I painted one of the worst people ever:

He's from Empress Miniatures' Freikorps range. I haven't decided fully on a basing scheme for him beyond just "dirt", but I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

Of course this is some rivet counter poo poo and you should do whatever you think would be the most fun.

Nah, that's the kinda stuff I'm trying to align with, too - so thanks for that! I figured horses wouldn't be used in the alps, but figured that surely they'd have some mounted support on the eastern front - I just couldn't find anything on it. So thanks for that, that's great!

Also, if it's not too much to ask, are there any sources for info on their uniforms? I haven't had a lot of luck finding them...hopefully they're very similar to the standard infantry uniform, for my own sake! :v:

Endman posted:

I painted one of the worst people ever:

He's from Empress Miniatures' Freikorps range. I haven't decided fully on a basing scheme for him beyond just "dirt", but I'm pretty pleased with how he turned out.

Speaking of Worst People Ever, I don't suppose there's a Mussolini model somewhere, is there? :D I tried looking for one ages ago, but never had any luck. (I was thinking about getting one for like, an alt-history Gran Sasso rescue op. Or potentially an assassination mission for the opfor)

EDIT: Ah good, maybe I can get a section of mounted clergymen in my platoon

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 02:59 on Apr 1, 2022

Class Warcraft
Apr 27, 2006

Major Isoor posted:

Nah, that's the kinda stuff I'm trying to align with, too - so thanks for that! I figured horses wouldn't be used in the alps, but figured that surely they'd have some mounted support on the eastern front - I just couldn't find anything on it. So thanks for that, that's great!

Also, if it's not too much to ask, are there any sources for info on their uniforms? I haven't had a lot of luck finding them...hopefully they're very similar to the standard infantry uniform, for my own sake! :v:

From Osprey Men-At-Arms #340 Italian Army in Europe 1940-1943

Looks to me (although I don't know much about Italian uniforms yet) like a standard Italian uniform except the spurs on the boots, patches on the lapel, shoulder-slung bandolier, red tie, and helmet markings. Seems like a fairly easy conversion job.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Class Warcraft posted:

From Osprey Men-At-Arms #340 Italian Army in Europe 1940-1943

Looks to me (although I don't know much about Italian uniforms yet) like a standard Italian uniform except the spurs on the boots, patches on the lapel, shoulder-slung bandolier, red tie, and helmet markings. Seems like a fairly easy conversion job.

Yep, brilliant! Most of that is even included in the recent Warlord plastic kit I bought - even some carbine variants of the carcano, so that's perfect! Thanks for that!

EDIT: Thanks again, guys - I've now ordered a bunch of stuff for it. Although my wallet definitely doesn't appreciate your posts (or my bloody ideas), I appreciate it! :v:

Major Isoor fucked around with this message at 06:00 on Apr 1, 2022

Zuul the Cat
Dec 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
If anyone needs reference images for Italians, here's a bunch.

mellonbread
Dec 20, 2017
...Did the artist just draw Mussolini in 40 different outfits?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Yes

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug
Giving 3d print bros a heads up 3d Breed launched their new KS. This time Persians & Greeks.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/joinordie/march-to-hell-greeks-and-persians?ref=user_menu

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

Oh poo poo, this makes SAGA way more accessable.

I hope they blow into a million stretch goals and armies again.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Wait, there's a SAGA version with Greeks and Persians in it?

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Wait, there's a SAGA version with Greeks and Persians in it?

Yup! Saga Age of Hannibal.

Springfield Fatts
May 24, 2010
Pillbug

moths posted:

Oh poo poo, this makes SAGA way more accessable.

I hope they blow into a million stretch goals and armies again.

Hell yes, this is why I backed it.

Looks like the stretch armies are Macedonians, Spartans, and mythological stuff.

Plus 25% off the Rome stuff from last time on their storefront.

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Lumbermouth posted:

Oh, not quite what I was hoping for but I guess that's ok

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

long-rear end nips Diane posted:

Oh, not quite what I was hoping for but I guess that's ok

There’s an Age of Alexander in the work too, they put up a preview today on the battle boards. Afaik the idea is to later tie it all up with an Age of Caesar.

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

lilljonas posted:

There’s an Age of Alexander in the work too, they put up a preview today on the battle boards. Afaik the idea is to later tie it all up with an Age of Caesar.

Oh hell yeah, that’s great.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

So this looks neat. Too Fat Lardies is putting out promo videos for an Ancients game called Strength & Honour. The gimmick here is, is fast play for full armies in 2mm up to 10mm scale. The first video showcases a 2mm table with some really nice looking terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuttulDJMY

A good resin printer could do a full base worth of terrain or troops easily. Someone will find themselves a fun little niche on Kickstarter.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Lumbermouth posted:

Hanibull well known for winning at Thermopylae...

Lumbermouth
Mar 6, 2008

GREG IS BIG NOW

feedmegin posted:

Hanibull well known for winning at Thermopylae...

Okay fair, but it's got Greeks in it!

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

mllaneza posted:

So this looks neat. Too Fat Lardies is putting out promo videos for an Ancients game called Strength & Honour. The gimmick here is, is fast play for full armies in 2mm up to 10mm scale. The first video showcases a 2mm table with some really nice looking terrain.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezuttulDJMY

A good resin printer could do a full base worth of terrain or troops easily. Someone will find themselves a fun little niche on Kickstarter.

:allbuttons:

I want a 2mm army of something so bad

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 14:25 on Apr 8, 2022

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

I've been considering painting up the miniatures for Quartermaster General 1914 (basically WW1 Axis & Allies) and the infantry units sound pretty easy- paint the soldiers in uniform colors and the base in the national colors. But I don't know enough about WW1 navies to know if I can paint a bunch of identical ships recognizably differently, though the bases can be painted still. Anyone have references for WW1 ships that can have recognizable colors at very small scale? German, Austrian, Russian, French, Italian, British, American

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

StashAugustine posted:

I've been considering painting up the miniatures for Quartermaster General 1914 (basically WW1 Axis & Allies) and the infantry units sound pretty easy- paint the soldiers in uniform colors and the base in the national colors. But I don't know enough about WW1 navies to know if I can paint a bunch of identical ships recognizably differently, though the bases can be painted still. Anyone have references for WW1 ships that can have recognizable colors at very small scale? German, Austrian, Russian, French, Italian, British, American

You could do unique dazzle camo schemes for each ship. Or cheap out and put the name of the ship on the base.

https://www.google.com/search?q=dazzle+camouflage+ships+ww1

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Notahippie
Feb 4, 2003

Kids, it's not cool to have Shane MacGowan teeth
You can also probably find some naval flags, those are pretty common modeling supplies. You’ll have to figure out if you want to put in rigging or just put a pin in for a flagpole at the stern, and your players will have to remember which flags are which, but it would solve the painting issue the same way it was solved historically.