Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ratios and Tendency
Apr 23, 2010

:swoon: MURALI :swoon:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MKRDRgKVKE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Maxy Boy posted:

Godwyn's corpse in Deeproot also has a mermaid tail - wonder what the aquatic imagery is about? It gives me Bloodborne's Fishing Hamlet vibes

Like in Bloodborne, and in Lovecraft, the fusion of sea life with human shapes is evolutionary imagery. In the real world, our remote ancestors came ultimately from the ocean where they were inhuman, even revolting forms of life. The revelation at the end of Fishing Hamlet is that Kos was humanoid despite being a Great One, in other words that we are not special and unique in the universe but bear direct kinship to something fundamentally other and alien. It’s the same with Godwyn, with the Omens, with the Crucible guys and the dragon guys, the beastmen, misbegotten, demihumans, they’re all fundamentally the same kind of being as humans but their ambiguous nature puts them on the fringes of the Golden Order’s definition of acceptable things.

Why Death is a fish man in particular? No idea

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018
The ultimate point is that the Loathsome Dung Eater Was Right.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

The ultimate point is that the Frenzied Flame was Right.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

the frenzied lame. peace

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
where would be the easiest place in the very beginning if i want to grind up to like level 60? i mean which enemies drop the most souls

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

precision posted:

where would be the easiest place in the very beginning if i want to grind up to like level 60? i mean which enemies drop the most souls

1. Get Reduvia (easy way to win: trigger the invasion then run back towards the lake until Hunter Yura comes in, let Yura take care of the invader). Note that you'll need str 5, dex 13, arc 13 to use it and get the bleed proc.

2. Go to Greyoll by Fort Faroth and stab him in the tail for a couple minutes

That's the easiest/quickest way, it's how I jumpstart each new build I want to try

There are other grinding methods but I hate grinding/farming and don't remember any of the strats

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Amuys posted:

Is there a weapon like the Golem Axe that have a fast range attack that can knock people over? It was my favorite PvP weapon in DS1.

put beast's roar ash of war on a greataxe and you pretty much have a golem axe. more heavy stagger than knocking them over but it can do a lot of damage.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

precision posted:

Doing a tour of the map and collecting golden runes from graveyards and glowing skulls will get you to 35ish pretty fast and make a lot of stuff easier.

There's also the Greyoll glitch if you're feeling brave and/or confident in your reaction time

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

greyoll will get you up to about level 30-ish on most starting classes

the easiest way to get the rest of the way that doesn't involve finnicky glitches or bird farming in mohgwyn dynasty is to farm the vulgar militia outside of beast sanctum. they're pretty easy to sneak around while crouched and backstab and have zero poise or hyperarmor, so you can either run around critting them or just using a fast weapon with reasonable range like an estoc to stunlock them. the lordsworn greatsword is a decent option, since it's easy to get, has good crit, and is fast enough to interrupt their attacks after the initial crit. they drop about 1.1k runes per kill and you can ride up and down the sides between graces pretty fast, so you could get to 60 in like 30-45 minutes probably

Vermain fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Apr 10, 2022

VulgarandStupid
Aug 5, 2003
I AM, AND ALWAYS WILL BE, UNFUCKABLE AND A TOTAL DISAPPOINTMENT TO EVERYONE. DAE WANNA CUM PLAY WITH ME!?

Teleport to bestial sanctum, go SE and have the night rider chase you through the poison field. That’s another 45k.

Amuys
Jan 2, 2017

Muuch Muuch

CYBEReris posted:

put beast's roar ash of war on a greataxe and you pretty much have a golem axe. more heavy stagger than knocking them over but it can do a lot of damage.

Thanks!

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
I think a big quality of life feature would be to grey out the talk button if the NPC is just going to repeat the last thing they said to you with no change, you can still talk to them, but you'd get a heads up you don't have to listen to the last bit of dialogue x2 to progress.

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
I have just enough Dex and Arcane on my mainly INT guy to try to Rivers of Blood, and would be interested to try to something different than a staff with Moonveil or Wing of Astel. Is it worth trying RoB without pumping up ARC and DEX? Or would it really only be worthwhile if I respec (in which case maybe I'll save it for NG+).

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

1. Get Reduvia (easy way to win: trigger the invasion then run back towards the lake until Hunter Yura comes in, let Yura take care of the invader). Note that you'll need str 5, dex 13, arc 13 to use it and get the bleed proc.

aha i found that guy last night but wasn't quite good enough to kill him

i'm Astrologer with a Noble Rapier, i think i'm level 20. i'm trying to grind enough that i don't get bodied by literally everything when i mess up blocking. i'm doing great damage but can't take any hits haha

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

Amuys posted:

Dang, is there any projectile then that has a fast animation and can do some knockdown? Don't really care about the damage aspect, I just like fighting in dangerous places like cliffsides or bridges.

Yes, the Ballista and Jar Cannon with explosive ammo. Ive got a Mad Arbalest (based on the Darkest Dungeons class) that I invade with and its a ton of fun. Hang out in the Ruin Strewn Precipice dungeon and enjoy launching people off the many many ledges.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
note that while the actual shot is fast, the recovery from the shot is very not fast

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011

precision posted:

aha i found that guy last night but wasn't quite good enough to kill him

i'm Astrologer with a Noble Rapier, i think i'm level 20. i'm trying to grind enough that i don't get bodied by literally everything when i mess up blocking. i'm doing great damage but can't take any hits haha

Get the Morning Star instead of the Reduvia recommendation, doesn't require you to waste points in Arcane, you can find it in a treasure cart just as you enter the weeping peninsula to the south.

On another note, anyone recommend some good dex/faith options? friend is struggling with dex/faith and I'm trying to think of some good options.

Bussamove
Feb 25, 2006

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

Get the Morning Star instead of the Reduvia recommendation, doesn't require you to waste points in Arcane, you can find it in a treasure cart just as you enter the weeping peninsula to the south.

On another note, anyone recommend some good dex/faith options? friend is struggling with dex/faith and I'm trying to think of some good options.

Winged Scythe has good reach and good damage/stagger on its weapon art. And bleed is always nice.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008
The Erdtree Guardian's Swordspear has relatively low stat requirements, a good moveset, good reach and scales pretty well with any infusion.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

how do i avoid the draconic knight's lightning?

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Mescal posted:

If you mean the homing lightning attack, you can roll it, but you pretty much have to do it the moment he 'fires'.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Mescal posted:

You want to roll exactly as he thrusts his shield into the air. Watch his shield and the moment it starts the upward thrust, roll.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Son of Thunderbeast posted:

Man he sure takes his time to show up.

e: I actually get him into the fight and he gets stunlocked to death lol

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Apr 10, 2022

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
I'm at what I assume is the final boss right now(Godfrey) and I'm trying to figure out what his resistances are but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. Wiki says he's vulnerable to everything except ID but someone was saying Rot and Bleed got set to immune in the last patch?

Other than that, any good tips for dealing with his shockwaves?

BioThermo
Feb 18, 2014

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

How early in the game are they? Winged Scythe and Treespear are decent early options although both have some steep stat requirements. You don't need to fight anything to get Golden Epitaph and its requirements are lower, but it requires a lot of running to get that far into the plateau. Halo Scythe is probably the strongest dex/fth all-purpose weapon available before the very end of the game but it's a rare drop from Caelid cleanrot knights. Any dex scaling weapon infused with Flame of the Redmanes (I used nightrider flail to the end game because of bleed/strike in spite of it's slow speed and poor range) and turned to flame art infusion once you get the whetblade in redmane castle can get you through the middle of the game.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Oxyclean posted:

Use the Morningstar from the weeping peninsula instead.

wedgie deliverer
Oct 2, 2010

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I'm at what I assume is the final boss right now(Godfrey) and I'm trying to figure out what his resistances are but I'm getting a lot of conflicting information. Wiki says he's vulnerable to everything except ID but someone was saying Rot and Bleed got set to immune in the last patch?

Other than that, any good tips for dealing with his shockwaves?

You can jump the shockwaves. Might be easier to time a jump than rolling if you're having trouble with it.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

The Lone Badger posted:

Use the Morningstar from the weeping peninsula instead.

I want reduva for my power stance/ bleed build, but I probably can gently caress off and get some levels first that way.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

Oxyclean posted:

e: I actually get him into the fight and he gets stunlocked to death lol

Haha poo poo that hasn't happened to me before

Thank you :darksouls:

Chimp_On_Stilts
Aug 31, 2004
Holy Hell.

I love this game but I think this video is spot on: targeting is often a pain in the rear end.

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Amuys posted:

Dang, is there any projectile then that has a fast animation and can do some knockdown? Don't really care about the damage aspect, I just like fighting in dangerous places like cliffsides or bridges.

That's easy, go get the jar cannon. Long reload, though.

Yorkshire Pudding
Nov 24, 2006

khwarezm posted:

Something that's been pointed out is that in Elden Ring flowing water is symbolic of staving off stagnation and decay, notably Malenia learned her style of combat, especially the waterfowl dance, from a blind blue swordsman who is said to have sealed away a god of rot, and his sword and clothing highlight how he was a force that worked against the rot that would afflict the land and Malenia in particular. In that sense Malenia is almost like a shark, she has to keep moving, or flowing, to stay abreast of the effects of the scarlet rot. Accordingly, the scarlet rot pools in lakes and swamps with little to no flow, we can see that in Caelid and the Scarlet lake of rot underneath the surface. In comparison the underground rivers are free from the rot.

To bring this around to Godwyn's corpse, I think it might be because his death signified a strike against the stultifying, stagnating influence of the Erdtree and the Greater will, so his remains started to take on the physical features of something that would live in clean water, a fish. And its interesting that the general setting of deeproot depths is dominated by a massive waterfall, the largest movement of water in the game which makes it shockingly lush for somewhere with little access to sunlight. That's just a theory though, I know its all very tenuous.

Bloodborne is big on the idea of “kegare” which is like stagnation from lack of movement.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

bewilderment posted:

That's easy, go get the jar cannon. Long reload, though.

And make sure to use explosive and lightning greatbolts for the aoe knockdown

e:

Amuys posted:

Glintstone pebble the ash of war (not the spell) has a true-combo followup thrust that will knock people flat on their rear end. The projectile from the ash of war version is 'ranged' but still relatively short-range, maybe about double the poking distance of a greatspear.

Also check out the One-Eyed Shield which can shoot a big explodey fireball with its weapon art, although it's kinda slow.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Apr 10, 2022

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Yorkshire Pudding posted:

Bloodborne is big on the idea of “kegare” which is like stagnation from lack of movement.

Yeah I also remember seeing a really good analysis about this in DS3, and how it applies to the concept of the Deep and the environs in and around the Cathedral of the Deep in that game, and IMO the Cathedral is one of the best locations From ever came up with.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
Final Boss Spoilers:
Radagon to Elden Beast is some incredible bullshit.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

you ain't seen nothing yet. just kidding. you did see it

voiceless anal fricative
May 6, 2007

I think all From games touch on the concepts of stagnation and decay and link them to order, structure and stability or immobility. I like how it inverts typical western ideas of good and light and order and poo poo.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

So I helped Sellen through her quest and right after loading back in, Rennala is back in her usual spot and Sellen is now a ball in the corner of the boss room. Is the implication that her little rebellion failed and Rennala turned her into the ball?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

SgtSteel91 posted:

So I helped Sellen through her quest and right after loading back in, Rennala is back in her usual spot and Sellen got turned into a ball. Is the implication that her little rebellion failed and Rennala turned her into the ball?

rennala is a god-queen with the power of resurrection and a brain that's gently floating in the troposphere, she probably barely even noticed sellen's rebellion. sellen immersed herself in the study of primeval sorceries after you left (the time elapsed between reloads is always ambiguous) and promptly OD'd on them