Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

AD Police isn't good, but it goes all out for its tone, giving the whole setting a grimy, noir inspired tone that works for the stories they want to tell. Even shows like Ghost in the Shell that lean into the bittersweet cyberpunk don't feel so grimy.

I wouldn't recommend it to anyone else without a specific knowledge of the other person's tastes and a lot of caveats, but I'm glad I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

w00tazn
Dec 25, 2004
I don't say w00t in real life
Just watched the first 2 eps of kongming and ya boy is really good. I'm a sucker for music based animes anyway.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
World Domination is cute and not especially taxing to watch. I like it and hope they can keep the central gag of the show fresh.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
For what it's worth the manga has remained pretty fun up to its latest stuff, it's been able to shake it up enough with new developments and characterizations and isn't just running the gimmick into the ground while reverting back to the status quo.

Necros
Jul 23, 2003

i dont watch much anime but ya boy kongming is fun and cheerful i love it so far :kiddo:

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
I think one of my biggest qualms about Aharen-san is that all of the characters are boke of various flavors and no one really the tsukkomi to ground everything somewhat

marumaru
May 20, 2013

spy x family was non-performatically great. i'm so glad, i really love the manga

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
Patiently waiting 2-3 seasons until we get to the best Anya faces, which will finally redeem anime as a medium

marumaru
May 20, 2013

heh.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Paracelsus posted:

I wouldn't call Horizon on the Edge of Nowhere good, but it was interesting to see what dumb out-of-left-field thing was going to happen next.

I will call it good. Where's seasons 3-however many it would take to cover how ungodly long it is?

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Waffleman_ posted:

Is Kamen Rider Faiz good? That's a hard question to answer. Is it fun? Extremely.
if something is fun, it's good

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

The 7th Guest posted:

if something is fun, it's good

You'd be surprised how poorly that holds up in court.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

chiasaur11 posted:

You'd be surprised how poorly that holds up in court.
in the court of anime opinion, fun is good

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Strange Quark posted:

people out here making GBS threads on a season to praise *checks notes* an anime that hasn't even aired yet

I assumed it would be good as I've already read the manga, so as long it receives the bare minimum level of production (which, it's Cloverworks, so duh) it would be at the very least be "good".

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the bar of the manga is already so high that i wasn't really blown away by the premiere

Elephant Parade
Jan 20, 2018

I thought it was a CloverWorks solo, so I was expecting nonstop kino from the premiere. Little did I know...

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

SweetBro posted:

I assumed it would be good as I've already read the manga, so as long it receives the bare minimum level of production (which, it's Cloverworks, so duh) it would be at the very least be "good".

i mean cloverworks also made one of the worst received manga adaptations (promised neverland s2) in the last couple years too so

marumaru
May 20, 2013

Strange Quark posted:

i mean cloverworks also made one of the worst received manga adaptations (promised neverland s2) in the last couple years too so

Was the source material better? I just blindly assumed it was the manga's fault, not the adaptation's

Raenir Salazar
Nov 5, 2010

College Slice
Kongming going the route of "Oh yeah if you're actually him you'd know XYZ" and making the club boss a Three Kingdoms nerd was comedic genius.

marumaru posted:

Was the source material better? I just blindly assumed it was the manga's fault, not the adaptation's

I heard the problem was that they just outright skipped a whole story arc.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Strange Quark posted:

The level of changing and compressing Promised Neverland Season 2 went through (following one of my favorite first seasons of anything) feels more like a decision made way above anyone who was actually making the show's head. Like, that's corporate fuckery.

I'm talking completely out of my rear end though.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Strange Quark posted:

Don't forget quality original works like Wonder Eg....oh

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Arist posted:

The level of changing and compressing Promised Neverland Season 2 went through (following one of my favorite first seasons of anything) feels more like a decision made way above anyone who was actually making the show's head. Like, that's corporate fuckery.

Yeah it really felt like Aniplex was like "We have this property whose manga just ended and it doesn't really push merchandise so we don't really wanna spend like 4 years adapting the rest of this poo poo to sell nothing, just do one more season."

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Arist posted:

Notably, while the original manga author along with the writer for S1's adaptation were credited with writing the first set of S2 episodes, nobody was officially credited for the last few. Something went terribly wrong behind the scenes there.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

marumaru posted:

The manga went bad. The adaptation was worse.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Don't forget quality original works like Wonder Eg....oh

ok that one was definitively not clover's fault. the writer on that show sucked. he had never worked on an anime before. his book sucked and his recent dramas leading up to it were mired in controversy over poor writing choices. legitimatley that entire production was sabotaged by its writer just being utterly incompetent. he was consistently sending in scripts within schedules that made production too tight for the staff because he refused to plan out ahead and share information with them

i cannot blame clover for issues that came about, cause of a guy who wrote a "yuri" tv drama and then had an extended interview about how he thought lesbians were women who had failed to find male partners

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Apr 10, 2022

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

chiasaur11 posted:

The manga went bad. The adaptation was worse.

It would be mean but funny to make this the thread title with absolutely no other explanation.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

marumaru posted:

getting philosophical but can you enjoy something you don't think is good?

If you keep coming back to watch something then obviously it's scratching some kind of itch for you, although sometimes it's really difficult to put into words what that itch might be or even figure it out on any level. It could be indirect nostalgia (some aspect of it sorta reminds you of something else you loved in the past, or someone you knew, or a period in your life that ended), it might have some underlying theme which they keep hinting at which really floats your boat but which they never manage to bring to the forefront, it might just be some inoffensive bland mush that you play in the background while you do other stuff and it'll occasionally draw your attention when they get to a good bit, it might be dumb escapism that lets you forget about real world worries for 20 minutes.

It's also somewhat common that some of the value you get out of a show will be secondary/social instead of directly personal and you get a kick out of poo poo-talking with your crew afterwards, or watching youtube reviews tearing it apart

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth
Raphtalia

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

's got an attitude
And Michelangelo's a party dude

SweetBro
May 12, 2014

Did you read that sister?
Yes, truly a shitposter's post. I read it, Rem.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

If you keep coming back to watch something then obviously it's scratching some kind of itch for you, although sometimes it's really difficult to put into words what that itch might be or even figure it out on any level. It could be indirect nostalgia (some aspect of it sorta reminds you of something else you loved in the past, or someone you knew, or a period in your life that ended), it might have some underlying theme which they keep hinting at which really floats your boat but which they never manage to bring to the forefront, it might just be some inoffensive bland mush that you play in the background while you do other stuff and it'll occasionally draw your attention when they get to a good bit, it might be dumb escapism that lets you forget about real world worries for 20 minutes.

It's also somewhat common that some of the value you get out of a show will be secondary/social instead of directly personal and you get a kick out of poo poo-talking with your crew afterwards, or watching youtube reviews tearing it apart

There are is media I enjoy because it's good. There is other media because its "muh trash" and I'm a dumpster diving hoe.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

sometimes i enjoy watching shows or playing games that i don't think are good, because i can find fun in seeking to understand why i don't like them and consider them critically. it can also be interesting to see what components i find well done, even if i think the thing on the whole is not well constructed.

this is pretty much only fun when with friends, and i would not want to watch shield hero with friends

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
if someone tries to get you to watch shield hero with them, they are no friend of yours.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

if someone tries to get you to watch shield hero with them, they are no friend of yours.

Maybe they want to sub for you and are dropping hints?

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Namtab posted:

I enjoy bad things but it’s when you get performative about hating it that it’s annoying.
:yeah:
It's fine to enjoy "bad" things, and you can just talk about why you enjoy them anyway.
We're all experts on tsunderes here, you're not fooling anyone with the "I-its not like I like this, I'm doing you guys a favor by watching it for you"-act.

Eeepies
May 29, 2013

Bocchi-chan's... dead.
We'll have to find a new guitarist.
I like watching trash isekais, and skeleton hero is fine for me.
Shield hero was at least two steps beyond what i could tolerate watching.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Watching Spy x Family makes me feel bad because I translated like the first 8 chapters before it was clear that it would become a mega-hit, and then a bigger company bought the licensing rights from us so we were unceremoniously kicked off the project. Like, it was clear to me from like chapter 2 or 3 that this was going to be huge and I was so excited to be a part of it, but now whenever I see it I just feel a deep sense of loss.

Oh well, maybe it'll get better when Yor shows up, she's great.

the sex ghost
Sep 6, 2009

psyer posted:

A decent start to Ao Ashi. The soccer/football animation were not much but seemed fine for the most part. It follows the main part of the manga pretty closely.

I did lol at the idea that a kid who's entire life is dedicated to football wouldn't recognise a guy who played in a top European league and for the Japanese national team 10 years ago, like shinji kagawa just turns up on the beach to no reaction

Haven't properly got into a footy anime since giant killing so will give this one a bash

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

New Shadowverse has gone 2 episodes and there has only been like 3 turns of a card game. Big warning sign imo.

I like the protag's energy though.

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022
the slower pace makes sense when your protagonist is a complete newbie to the game. it's basically the tutorial ep you'd see in other card game anime like vanguard or build divide. the shift here kinda feels like a reaction to how fast they blazed through games in the first season, because there i definitely didn't follow the games very well as someone who only played the game for a week or so years ago. i've no doubt once things ramp up the games will get more focus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I do appreciate they're actually explaining game mechanics instead of letting you figure out for yourself like with the first anime but 1.5 eps of setup before your first duel feels like a lot for this type of show.

In the long run an extra ep of buildup probably won't feel that slow in a 50 ep card game anime but I like cards and i've barely seen any yet. :colbert: