Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

styls trill epic posted:

wasn't a two minute load screen between deaths.

Oh and special for you I just tested this on PS5, time from when YOU DIED disappears from screen to respawn, ten seconds.

Owned Snipe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Over time, Dark Souls has become better regarded.
Over time, Elden Ring will become less well regarded.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Waltzing Along posted:

Disgree with this, as I am not a Dark Souls fan, ER is a massive evolution of the formula that frankly shows how lovely Souls games have been all along, and fixes most of the issues.

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
whoa whoa whoa I know what thread this is, but we don't have to go full on pants on head, cartwheeling around with jingle bells stupid

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
ER is way less replayable than the other souls games for sure just by nature of being an open world

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

AcidCat posted:

Any jackass that says Elden Ring should be played any particular way should be treated like someone playing Doom saying the only real way to play is using only the starter pistol. Like, sorry you refuse to acknowledge that this is the game the developers made, on purpose. No, they never intended you to use Moonveil or Rivers of Blood or Mimic! You love From on one hand but on the other say they are dummos that can't balance their own game. Sorry I'm picking up the BFG they purposefully put in this game and using it, shut the gently caress up.

If you summoned to beat a boss, you didn't really beat the boss though.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Vic posted:

whoa whoa whoa I know what thread this is, but we don't have to go full on pants on head, cartwheeling around with jingle bells stupid

That's probably an op build

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I would say (and ftr I rarely summon in souls games but the second I stop having fun with a boss I'm fine with it. I'd say I summon for 1-4 bosses per game)

1. Who cares, seriously? good god that is the goofiest thing to care about. How someone plays a game that is basically single player?
2. At least in Elden Ring, you are actually wrong because a bunch of the bosses are harder with a player summon than solo.
3. By that logic, If you ever used an ash summon or OP weapon, or ash of war, you actually beat the boss less than someone summoning another player in ER because that poo poo is more powerful than having another guy or even two other guys and summoning players just turns bosses into absolute tanks.

That said, it is annoying when you try and play something as legit as possible and mention it's hard and some guy who used every cheese imaginable is like "actually it was super easy" while never admitting they were just breaking the game as much as possible. Like, just own up to what you used instead of acting like you immediately skilled out of double gargoyles through masterful gaming strats. I got those guys on my second try but it was cause I was spamming bloody slash while my ash summon annoyed them with arrows and they were super easy. But I'm not going to tell someone who is being less of a cheesy gently caress that "ackshually greenhorn, it's quite easy if you pay attention to the pattens and..."

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

styls trill epic posted:

a two minute load screen between deaths.

Maybe you should upgrade your fail pc or whatever junk hardware you're trying to run the game on

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
if you took more than 13 minutes from character creation to credit roll you didn't really beat the game
do better next time

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Just summon a guy and run away while he beats the boss, its basically the same as beating it yourseelf

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica

veni veni veni posted:

I would say (and ftr I rarely summon in souls games but the second I stop having fun with a boss I'm fine with it. I'd say I summon for 1-4 bosses per game)

1. Who cares, seriously? good god that is the goofiest thing to care about. How someone plays a game that is basically single player?
2. At least in Elden Ring, you are actually wrong because a bunch of the bosses are harder with a player summon than solo.
3. By that logic, If you ever used an ash summon or OP weapon, or ash of war, you actually beat the boss less than someone summoning another player in ER because that poo poo is more powerful than having another guy or even two other guys and summoning players just turns bosses into absolute tanks.

That said, it is annoying when you try and play something as legit as possible and mention it's hard and some guy who used every cheese imaginable is like "actually it was super easy" while never admitting they were just breaking the game as much as possible. Like, just own up to what you used instead of acting like you immediately skilled out of double gargoyles through masterful gaming strats. I got those guys on my second try but it was cause I was spamming bloody slash while my ash summon annoyed them with arrows and they were super easy. But I'm not going to tell someone who is being less of a cheesy gently caress that "ackshually greenhorn, it's quite easy if you pay attention to the pattens and..."

"Breaking the game" is playing by design.

Grinding or whatever is playing against your own interests because you resent it, for good reason. Unless you like playing the game. Then it's complicated.

I liked looking around in FC5, until I can see the entire map and it looks like a cheap diorama (and then got gassed by dirty cultists.)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hPjMkFlelIU

In some of the bigger games like BotW, AC: Odyssey, Farcry,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqfiDkbZmM

GTAV, Skyrim

None of that equates to gameplay. And your enjoyment could just come from tightly spaced corridors with excellent writing.

Personally, I like the soundscape, the random interactions. Whether it be finding people fishing in FC5 or a disillusioned merchant in Hyrule.

e: I just wish someone would make a video of the truly 3d ER map and put it up against Zelda and AC

BaldDwarfOnPCP fucked around with this message at 10:03 on Apr 10, 2022

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
This isn't me

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XERot0Z_eLg

BaldDwarfOnPCP
Jun 26, 2019

by Pragmatica
Wait.

When it comes to dickwaving map sizes, I really need to start playing Witcher 3 again.

Toss a coin, holy gently caress

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Caesar Saladin posted:

Just summon a guy and run away while he beats the boss, its basically the same as beating it yourseelf

The game doesn't distinguish between this hypothetical and any other method, so why should we?

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
I don't think anyone can dickwave map size any more considering minecraft is infinite

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Khanstant posted:

honestly it felt like playing aoe2 but now it's more 3d, but i was never the biggest aeo2 fan cause they always felt like messier warcraft

omfg between this and the "i don't like dogs" post I am starting to think you are the worst poster on these forums and that's saying a lot because Smugworth is still posting

sort your loving life out AoE2 is the best RTS ever made and dogs are great

you're an embarrassment!!!

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

sorry for meltdown!

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Happens to the best of us

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Vic posted:

yes we do

lobsterminator
Oct 16, 2012

William Henry Hairytaint posted:

omfg between this and the "i don't like dogs" post I am starting to think you are the worst poster on these forums and that's saying a lot because Smugworth is still posting

sort your loving life out AoE2 is the best RTS ever made and dogs are great

you're an embarrassment!!!

Speaking of AoE2, I recently bought Rise of Nations on Steam. I have the original CD still also. I haven't had time to play too much but based on the first couple of missions I'm enjoying it. Last time I played it was when it came out.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Waltzing Along posted:

dark souls had extreme hype around it on release. i remember going into a shop to buy it and the guy was like 'whoah this game isn't for babies...it's the hardest game ever pal' 'yea i know that's why i'm buying it bud keep the change' i said

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

roomtone posted:

dark souls had extreme hype around it on release. i remember going into a shop to buy it and the guy was like 'whoah this game isn't for babies...it's the hardest game ever pal' 'yea i know that's why i'm buying it bud keep the change' i said
:allears:

Tetrabor
Oct 14, 2018

Eight points of contact at all times!

Rutibex posted:

I don't think anyone can dickwave map size any more considering minecraft is infinite

You're still stuck on a planet, but Elite Dangerous is universally infinite. :shepspends:

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Tetrabor posted:

You're still stuck on a planet, but Elite Dangerous is universally infinite. :shepspends:

uh no, elite Dangerious has a finite number of planets in its database. It's only a single galaxy. minecraft has an infinite number of infinity sized planets :colbert:

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

I avoided playing Dark Souls because of all the memes about how hard it is, then a friend who's notoriously slow to pick up on stuff in games said he beat it.

Turned out I shouldn't have listened to youtubers. :cheerdoge:

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Dark Souls and Demon's Souls got the reputation for being very hard because games were totally bitchmade when they came out, it was 360 era where everything was built for super accessibility and you could just button mash your way through every melee game around. The souls games are still difficult games but they have a consistency to them that makes them beatable by just about anyone.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
yeah its more if you played dark souls 1 at release with no outside knowledge a lot of its systems are kind of unintuitive and strange like the whole humanity and summoning thing

i only just realised today that you can summon both Solaire and Lautrec for the first Gargoyle fight!

styls trill epic
Dec 28, 2021

by sebmojo

fridge corn posted:

Maybe you should upgrade your fail pc or whatever junk hardware you're trying to run the game on

I have a series X op. Maybe it wasn't literally 2 minutes. Maybe it was literally 10 seconds. Still totally unacceptable for a game with this bad of graphics in this era of gaming. One of the many reasons to chuck it in the trash.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

styls trill epic posted:

I have a series X op. Maybe it wasn't literally 2 minutes. Maybe it was literally 10 seconds. Still totally unacceptable for a game with this bad of graphics in this era of gaming. One of the many reasons to chuck it in the trash.

you rn

X JAKK
Sep 1, 2000

We eat the pig then together we BURN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvxuSoJIEvs

Kingdom Hearts 4 is announced, along with a pile of mobile games you'll have to play for 700 hours to understand the plot.

They took Sora and ramped the generic anime design to 100. Hell, everybody introduced in this whole video looks like a default custom character in a PS2 low budget MMORPG.

After Kingdom Hearts 3 spent the whole time setting up endless spinoffs and sequels and forgot to tell any sort of coherent or entertaining story (Here, do busy work collecting hundreds of crabs while Jack Sparrow and his buddies have amazing adventures without you! Oh hey, its all the former bad guys now on your side, they spend the entire game in one room just standing around.) I just cant bring myself to give any sort of a drat.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
kingdom hearts should have leaned more on the final fantasy characters if they are gonna go full anime. i don't care about these dumb original characters thats not the point of kingdom hearts

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

I really like this video for explaining how the Fromsoft brand identity and success is tied to difficulty, scarcity, and gamer identity.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Vic posted:

I avoided playing Dark Souls because of all the memes about how hard it is, then a friend who's notoriously slow to pick up on stuff in games said he beat it.

Turned out I shouldn't have listened to youtubers. :cheerdoge:

I have a friend who hadn't played a video game in a decade and for some reason I sat him down in front of Dark Souls one day and he played for 4 hours, bought a PS3 the next day with Dark and Demons Souls. To this day he basically only plays Souls games and gets frustrated with everything else cause he doesn't like aiming. So no FPS/TPS or whatever. But he's soloed basically every game Fromsoft has made in the last 13 years multiple times. He bounced off Sekiro though.

Mescal
Jul 23, 2005

Phigs posted:

I really like this video for explaining how the Fromsoft brand identity and success is tied to difficulty, scarcity, and gamer identity.

this sounds like poo poo and i'm not gonna watch it, i believe From is a success because their games are worth talking about. their games dominate the video games conversation. everybody who played dark souls ten years ago is still talking about it. i hated dark souls iii and i talk about it. talk talk talk buy buy play

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Phigs posted:

gamer identity.

Sounds like some dumbass poo poo OP

edit: just pressed play on the video. Holy poo poo what the hell are you watching man.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I love how people who don't like Dark Souls can't comprehend that people talk about them a lot because they are fun to talk about, and assume it's actually some big conspiracy where tens of millions of people are just "pretending" to like it

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Wait I'm watching it but had to turn the volume way down.

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

If you're bouncing off my description or the twitch-isms of the creator you're skipping a video that is genuinely interesting. It's not made by someone who is making GBS threads on dark souls or someone who is into the gamer identity or whatever, but a marketer talking about From's brand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

veni veni veni posted:

I love how people who don't like Dark Souls can't comprehend that people talk about them a lot because they are fun to talk about, and assume it's actually some big conspiracy where tens of millions of people are just "pretending" to like it

Lol

It ok to like <a Thing>
If a <a Thing> is your whole identity and the only thing you talk about, you become pretty annoying.
Especially if you do it constantly outside <a Thing>-thread.

And I happen to like <a Thing>, just not fanatical about it. :shrug: